2021 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Recruiting Thread

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 pm

So judging from what was posted before, Garwo won't be one of the 3/4 new commits.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 15, 2020 1:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Did we ever figure out who the 3 or 4 new commits were?

we are waiting on 2 right now
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri May 15, 2020 6:56 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

This there’s only 2 left.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Who have we landed since Coleman? There are apparently 2 unnamed but seem like there were more #GetIns.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 am

i believe there are 2 outstanding, both DL
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:24 am

from yesterday's athletic story:

Upon arriving at Boston College, Hafley didn’t want to sign players just because space was available, saying that that was often a mistake that rushed new coaches would make. Just 15 recruits signed for 2020, which he says is fine, given that he wanted to get as much of a head start as possible on 2021 and not risk taking the wrong fits for 2020, given that a small, private, academically rigorous place such as BC cannot replenish its roster as easily as bigger schools.

Over the past four years, the Eagles rank last in the Power 5 conferences in average recruiting ranking in the 247Sports Composite. As of mid-May, the Eagles had 10 verbal commits for 2021.

“I think it’s about building the relationships with the staff,” Hafley said. “I think the staff has done such an awesome job building the relationships with the players and the coaches and the families. It’s really getting to know them. And truthfully I think right now there are some kids that are committing, there are some kids that are waiting to commit, it’s gonna be interesting to see what happens. For example: A lot of these kids are committing without ever going to a place — they’re gonna want to see it eventually. Are they gonna wanna see other places? Are you gonna see a lot of kids de-commit who committed so early that had never seen these places before?

“Recruiting is going well. You might not see names pop up on these sites yet because some kids just haven’t publicly said anything yet, but for us to already get the reception that we have without selling our biggest thing, which is our campus and community here, it’s pretty cool to see what we will be able to do once we can get kids on campus. Because you’ve got to remember, we had a really early spring break, so everybody was getting players on campus that week and that weekend. Our kids weren’t around. So we had everybody set up for the following weekends and we’re not able to get any of them in. So I think it’s going good. We have a great product. There’s a ton of energy. There’s this kind of cool new vibe. Our staff is doing a great job with these relationships, which is huge.”
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Who have we landed since Coleman? There are apparently 2 unnamed but seem like there were more #GetIns.

Coleman committed but was a silent for a while. Since that day of 4 commits(the NJ and IL guys) there were 5 more GetIns. Hood,Porter,Gates and the two current silents.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat May 16, 2020 10:15 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Coleman committed but was a silent for a while. Since that day of 4 commits(the NJ and IL guys) there were 5 more GetIns. Hood,Porter,Gates and the two current silents.

when did silent commits become a thing and why?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat May 16, 2020 10:23 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

when did silent commits become a thing and why?

They commit to hold their spot, but they wait to announce until a particular day (Coleman waiting until Mother’s’ Day for example)
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat May 16, 2020 10:43 am

so the DT/OL from MD and the DE/OLB from NJ with the 4.0 GPA?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:so the DT/OL from MD and the DE/OLB from NJ with the 4.0 GPA?

Not the NJ kid. It’s two DL though.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Coaches can't say a particular kid committed. Under past staffs, if the kid commited but didn't announce, we wouldn't know. Hafley's guys do the generic getin thing so we know someone committed. I don't think the silent commit is a new thing, I just think this is a more social media savvy staff.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 20, 2020 8:06 am

Offer to 2021 QB Emmett Morehead out of Alexandria, VA (originally from CA).

Kentucky, Pitt, VT, WVU and a few other smaller schools involved.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:So judging from what was posted before, Garwo won't be one of the 3/4 new commits.

Garwo ended up committing to CSU

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu May 21, 2020 3:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Offer to 2021 QB Emmett Morehead out of Alexandria, VA (originally from CA).

Kentucky, Pitt, VT, WVU and a few other smaller schools involved.

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Looks like another commitment:

https://twitter.com/JoeSuIlivan/status/ ... 9061826560

Looks like he’s the one
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu May 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Really?! Nice! Decent offer list too, by the looks of it.

So we're still waiting to hear about the 2 DLs mentioned above, I assume...
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Looks like another commit today. A few 247 predictions of Morehead as well as Nigel Tate (not sure who, if either, is new one)

Edit: Also, if it means anything, both Hafley and Cignetti tweeted at the same time (perhaps its Morehead since Cignetti was the one to immediately tweet)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Looks like another commit today. A few 247 predictions of Morehead as well as Nigel Tate (not sure who, if either, is new one)

Edit: Also, if it means anything, both Hafley and Cignetti tweeted at the same time (perhaps its Morehead since Cignetti was the one to immediately tweet)

I’m guessing Nigel Tate is one of the DL silent commits from earlier this week

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu May 21, 2020 10:25 pm

Plays in VA, from Cali..."Sunshine Ronnie Bass" Morehead.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 22, 2020 6:52 am

Nigel Tate is announcing today.

Morehead fits the mold of the staff’s previous offers for under-recruited kids. Huge frame to work with. Big effing kid. The highlight tape is meh in my opinion. The articles say he has a cannon arm. But, I don’t see that on the Zepruder film quality online. The first thing I look at with a QB is the trajectory of their passes. When we offered the nobody QB Haarberg from Nebraska, I was all for it because the kid was throwing lasers. Emmett’s highlights are all rainbows that will never be thrown in the next level. With no combines, or on-campus activities, it’s really hard to recruit QBs. Wonder if we will grab a second In the class? Seems like a real smart kid as Yale apparently was the runner-up.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Nigel Tate is announcing today.

Morehead fits the mold of the staff’s previous offers for under-recruited kids. Huge frame to work with. Big effing kid. The highlight tape is meh in my opinion. The articles say he has a cannon arm. But, I don’t see that on the Zepruder film quality online. The first thing I look at with a QB is the trajectory of their passes. When we offered the nobody QB Haarberg from Nebraska, I was all for it because the kid was throwing lasers. Emmett’s highlights are all rainbows that will never be thrown in the next level. With no combines, or on-campus activities, it’s really hard to recruit QBs. Wonder if we will grab a second In the class? Seems like a real smart kid as Yale apparently was the runner-up.

I agree with this, the highlights I saw were fairly impossible to take anything away from. Like you said really tough to get a QB when you haven’t been able to evaluate or talk with them in person, especially in your first full class as a staff, given QBs are committing earlier and earlier in the process.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Looks like another commit today. A few 247 predictions of Morehead as well as Nigel Tate (not sure who, if either, is new one)

He is
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 am

Just looked through twitter seems his bigger offers came last fall. He did some junior day visits this winter (but no offers). His more recent offers were the smaller schools until BC came in. I doubt Pitt and UK were still involved. But, think VT was still recruiting.

He apparently also did the whole qb academy circuit. His highlights there are clearer. He’s got well-trained footwork and throwing motion. He’s got an arm. One of the highlights up there shows him rolling and throwing a jump pass that rainbows a good 45 yards to the in-stride wr (bad that he didn’t step into the throw but impressive he can chuck it 50 yards only using his arm). Legit big kid. Some will take this the wrong way, but they shouldn’t because it’s meant as a compliment... he reminds me of Towles. His motion is not that compact and his velocity on short passes could improve. Bottom line for me, legit size has a lot to work with, but isn’t a finished product.

Interestingly, I saw a video of him throwing next to another kid at a camp. The other kid looked like middle schooler compared to Morehead (was like a foot shorter). However, I liked the effortless, compact motion the little kid had. Turns out, he is a top 100 player already committed to FSU. Anyway, link to video below.
https://twitter.com/QBCountry/status/12 ... 7070222337
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 22, 2020 8:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Just looked through twitter seems his bigger offers came last fall. He did some junior day visits this winter (but no offers). His more recent offers were the smaller schools until BC came in. I doubt Pitt and UK were still involved. But, think VT was still recruiting.

He apparently also did the whole qb academy circuit. His highlights there are clearer. He’s got well-trained footwork and throwing motion. He’s got an arm. One of the highlights up there shows him rolling and throwing a jump pass that rainbows a good 45 yards to the in-stride wr (bad that he didn’t step into the throw but impressive he can chuck it 50 yards only using his arm). Legit big kid. Some will take this the wrong way, but they shouldn’t because it’s meant as a compliment... he reminds me of Towles. His motion is not that compact and his velocity on short passes could improve. Bottom line for me, legit size has a lot to work with, but isn’t a finished product.

Interestingly, I saw a video of him throwing next to another kid at a camp. The other kid looked like middle schooler compared to Morehead (was like a foot shorter). However, I liked the effortless, compact motion the little kid had. Turns out, he is a top 100 player already committed to FSU. Anyway, link to video below.
https://twitter.com/QBCountry/status/12 ... 7070222337

With Jurkovec being the starter presumably through 2022 season, it will give this kid 2 years to develop. Definitely worth taking a shot on him especially with no QB signed in this class yet.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

He is

Kid is a NG in a the mold of BJ Raji. Short, stocky, fireplug who enjoys contact. Type of kid who will eat blockers and make tackles up the middle.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

He is

Kid is a NG in a the mold of BJ Raji. Short, stocky, fireplug who enjoys contact. Type of kid who will eat blockers and make tackles up the middle.

I think Stoudmire is more in the Raji mould he’s 6’2,300 already but Tate is a monster kid is 6’4,295 he’s not short at all if anything he’s a bit taller then a lot of DTs.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

He is

6’2 is decent height for a DT
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 22, 2020 9:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

He is

Hope we aren't transitioning to a 3-4 system. it worked during coughlin's days but I don't think it works in college today.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

He is

Hope we aren't transitioning to a 3-4 system. it worked during coughlin's days but I don't think it works in college today.

Lots of teams with athletic LBs have transitioned to a modified 3-4 where a middle backer can fill those gaps but having faster guys on the outside. A lot depends on who the opponent is though.
flakes
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium