2021 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Pete was a great guy... wicked smart. He chose BC over ND. So, I don't think he is someone who will be pushing his kid to factory. I haven't talked to Pete in years, but my guess is that BC is well positioned. If we miss out on Drew, I think it will be to a school with a strong academic reputation (Duke, Stanford, UVA, etc).

He has two other kids at Ivies (both at Penn I think?).
In my opinion, Pete was the best OL ever at BC.

Also, Hafley must build a wall around the ISL!

That's a good call. Snee? Woody? Nalen? Widells? Beekman is a sleeper in this category.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Pete was a great guy... wicked smart. He chose BC over ND. So, I don't think he is someone who will be pushing his kid to factory. I haven't talked to Pete in years, but my guess is that BC is well positioned. If we miss out on Drew, I think it will be to a school with a strong academic reputation (Duke, Stanford, UVA, etc).

That's a good call. Snee? Woody? Nalen? Widells? Beekman is a sleeper in this category.

Deserving of its own thread.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Castonzo?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Damien Woody and Marc Columbo should at least be in the discussion. But I vote Nalen
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Damien Woody and Marc Columbo should at least be in the discussion. But I vote Nalen

Don Macek in the discussion. Fourteen years with the Chargers and in Chargers HOF.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Louis Hansen to Michigan. We are in big trouble if Hafley can't land a TE from St Sebastian's!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:02 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Louis Hansen to Michigan. We are in big trouble if Hafley can't land a TE from St Sebastian's!

I'd argue that Louis Hansen is emblematic of Michigan's talent problem.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Louis Hansen to Michigan. We are in big trouble if Hafley can't land a TE from St Sebastian's!

Some kids are going to want big-name, out-of-state schools no matter what. Just as many non-athlete kids choose their college on the basis of which is the biggest name, which one has the most cachet at graduation parties.

If football recruits want to rest on their laurels, they're not coming to BC. The glitz and "trappings" are far more attractive (in many ways) at the factories. The huge local attention to the team, the academic coddling, the frat/bar culture, and the available ladies at larger schools all draw on kids who want to think they have it made.

We need facilities like the Fish Field House for recruits to see themselves having what they need to develop, to leverage their efforts to the maximum. But we want kids who want to develop on and off the field to self-select towards BC, and the others to lean away.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:21 pm

Michigan’s decision to respond to Ohio State recruiting nationally by recruiting the Northeast is highly correlated to them being completely run off the field every time they play.

Wonder how much longer Harbaugh gives Third Down carte blanche to make offers in the Northeast before moving on to someone who could get athletes from the south.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:48 pm

This kid isn't in the list of potential recruits at the top of the thread. He was most actively recruited by Colorado, Duke and UConn. I'm not sure he had a BC offer yet. Michigan offered and he committed. Good for him. Good academic school... and big time football environment.

BC923's post is what I was getting at. It is a weird offer for a supposed Top 10 school to make. But, then you realize, that under Harbaugh, Michigan is a TOB-like 8-4/9-3. Their rankings and media attention has everything to do with its fanbase and nothing to do with its on-field results.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:This kid isn't in the list of potential recruits at the top of the thread. He was most actively recruited by Colorado, Duke and UConn. I'm not sure he had a BC offer yet.

Maybe, but fwiw, Rivals & 247 showed him with offers from BC, LSU, Georgia, Florida...
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I'd argue that Louis Hansen is emblematic of Michigan's talent problem.

If I am a Michigan I would be very annoyed that New England has become the focus of our recruiting.
As a BC fan, I a very annoyed that we can't land a kid from a Catholic school 3 miles away, even if St. Sebastian's is the ugly step-child of the ISL.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm only concerned if he plays hockey.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:45 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This kid isn't in the list of potential recruits at the top of the thread. He was most actively recruited by Colorado, Duke and UConn. I'm not sure he had a BC offer yet.

Maybe, but fwiw, Rivals & 247 showed him with offers from BC, LSU, Georgia, Florida...

My list is from the summer but it has quite a few of his bigger offers on there not just those 3. As an aside I’ll be hopefully getting a new one up this weekend there’s been a pretty big overhaul between the staffs on offers so that list isn’t really very up to date at all. On Hansen, it’s a loss perception wise and wanting to keep local kids around but I do think he’s a bit overrated in general and there are other TEs on the board that bc has a good shot at that are on a comparable level so from a talent perspective I’ve not worried about it.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm only concerned if he plays hockey.

So I guess you don't want Kendall?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:38 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Apples and oranges.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

247 had him a 3-star kid ranked 4th in Mass. He commits, a bunch of offers suddenly appear and he becomes a 4-star and the 2nd best player in Mass.

Look... I get it. Would be a nice to have. But we currently have 4 more TEs on the roster than Michigan. Simply not a position of need. This has been talked about ad nausea... but, Mass kids leaving the state have a dreadful success rate. This whole push to “get mass football on the map” has done nothing for local football but has hurt BC. None of these flameouts would’ve set the world on fire at BC (see Dalton, Danny) but they would’ve provided depth and possible playing time as a senior. For a program like BC, it’s all the more difficult to recruit when your backyard offers you nothing but Fadules.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:14 am

None of the recruiting ranking guys spend 5 minutes scouting New England high school football, nor do they know diddly-squat about the region. Rankings for Massachusetts kids are simply reverse engineered based on who has offered them and where they sign. Michigan could sign a quadriplegic and he'd be ranked higher than anyone who signed at BC...which is why it's irrelevant if Michigan is getting higher ranked kids from within the Massachusetts wall, and also explains why kids who go to factories generally underperform relative to their (inflated) rankings.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am

It’s nothing against Hansen really, Michigan is a good school with a big program, but like HJS said, we aren’t exactly hurting for tight ends after recruiting exclusively tight ends for the last 3 or so years of Daz’s time here.

Again nothing against him, but getting tight ends from Massachusetts is not how Michigan should be hoping to deal with tOSU pulling top 5 guys out of California and Texas.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Apples and oranges.

logic box
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 am

My theory is that Harbaugh doesn't care much about recruiting. I think he has a Jags-like approach to it from his time in the NFL. He seems fine with just taking which ever kids really want to go there and relies heavily upon whomever his staff suggests. At schools like BC and Stanford, that's fine because they are places that are used to taking unfinished products and developing them over years. But, you aren't competing for National Championships against the likes of OSU, Clemson and the SEC with that strategy. Harbaugh seems perfectly fine with going 9-3/8-4 each year. I can't believe that Wolverine fans have resigned themselves to that reality.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:My theory is that Harbaugh doesn't care much about recruiting. I think he has a Jags-like approach to it from his time in the NFL. He seems fine with just taking which ever kids really want to go there and relies heavily upon whomever his staff suggests. At schools like BC and Stanford, that's fine because they are places that are used to taking unfinished products and developing them over years. But, you aren't competing for National Championships against the likes of OSU, Clemson and the SEC with that strategy. Harbaugh seems perfectly fine with going 9-3/8-4 each year. I can't believe that Wolverine fans have resigned themselves to that reality.

Michigan fans are getting restless. The Harbaugh defenders play the "if so-and-so hadn't been injured" game and convince themselves they're right on the cusp of beating Ohio State. But the thing is Harbaugh is a better recruiter than coach, and the Michigan brand more less recruits for itself (just like USC). Michigan would be better off with an Xs and Os whiz than Harbaugh.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:13 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Apples and oranges.

logic box

The other kid is also a legacy of a star alumnus at a position that actually matters in college football? Cool I withdraw my St Sebs hockey joke.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:33 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:My theory is that Harbaugh doesn't care much about recruiting. I think he has a Jags-like approach to it from his time in the NFL. He seems fine with just taking which ever kids really want to go there and relies heavily upon whomever his staff suggests. At schools like BC and Stanford, that's fine because they are places that are used to taking unfinished products and developing them over years. But, you aren't competing for National Championships against the likes of OSU, Clemson and the SEC with that strategy. Harbaugh seems perfectly fine with going 9-3/8-4 each year. I can't believe that Wolverine fans have resigned themselves to that reality.

Michigan fans are getting restless. The Harbaugh defenders play the "if so-and-so hadn't been injured" game and convince themselves they're right on the cusp of beating Ohio State. But the thing is Harbaugh is a better recruiter than coach, and the Michigan brand more less recruits for itself (just like USC). Michigan would be better off with an Xs and Os whiz than Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has turned Michigan into Stanford, which is objectively better what they were under Brady Hoke, but far below the expectations that Michigan had for him and far below where they were under Lloyd Carr (who was the best coach they have had over the past 70 years—far superior to Bo).

They will win most of their games and they’ll occasionally dick stomp a team with better athletes if the circumstances are right (USC at Stanford/Notre Dame last year at Michigan), but they get repeatedly get run off the field by a more athletic rival—Oregon/Ohio State—although Ohio State is far superior to even the Mariotta Oregon team so the gap is wider in this iteration. Also, looking at who they have coming in, two of their top five recruits are kids that were dropped by Notre Dame and Ohio State after both landed better players at those positions. It is one thing to live off Ohio State’s sloppy seconds—you won’t solve the problem of beating tOSU, but you can still be a very good team. But when you are proudly waiving a OL who Notre Dame chucked over the side because they literally landed 4 OLs that they liked better, that is not a good omen.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

Harbaugh has turned Michigan into Stanford, which is objectively better what they were under Brady Hoke, but far below the expectations that Michigan had for him and far below where they were under Lloyd Carr (who was the best coach they have had over the past 70 years—far superior to Bo).

They will win most of their games and they’ll occasionally dick stomp a team with better athletes if the circumstances are right (USC at Stanford/Notre Dame last year at Michigan), but they get repeatedly get run off the field by a more athletic rival—Oregon/Ohio State—although Ohio State is far superior to even the Mariotta Oregon team so the gap is wider in this iteration. Also, looking at who they have coming in, two of their top five recruits are kids that were dropped by Notre Dame and Ohio State after both landed better players at those positions. It is one thing to live off Ohio State’s sloppy seconds—you won’t solve the problem of beating tOSU, but you can still be a very good team. But when you are proudly waiving a OL who Notre Dame chucked over the side because they literally landed 4 OLs that they liked better, that is not a good omen.

Michigan is dead in the water (in terms of contending nationally) for the reasons Dick mentioned. Big 10 recruiting isn’t what it used to be, given population shifts. tOSU got around it by hiring Meyer who is not X’s and O’s genius, but understands the personnel side of college football better than just about anyone. Now Ryan Day gets to inherit that, but if Michigan wants to compete they’ll have to play the same game, and Harbaugh won’t.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Casey Phiney to Michigan - his only D1 (or whatever they call it now) offer.

Don Brown is building a wall around the ISL.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:34 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Casey Phiney to Michigan - his only D1 (or whatever they call it now) offer.

Don Brown is building a wall around the ISL.

That feels like a package deal for Kendall. I’d love to for Drew to go somewhere else just to see if Michigan still honors the commitment (Harbaugh has a history of not honoring verbals).

Btw... Dick’s comment about Michigan taking OL rejected by ND is happening for the 2021 class. Greg Crippen from IMG was told to look elsewhere and landed at Michigan. He is originally from Milton.

I find it interesting that Mass prospects thrived in college (and the pros) back when the Catholic and Public schools were strong (e.g. Xaverian and Brockton) but have struggled since the private schools (i.e. the ISL) took over the space.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Ron stone was pretty good. Swirched to O-Line as a senior and then a decade or more in the league.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:15 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Ron stone was pretty good. Swirched to O-Line as a senior and then a decade or more in the league.

He was 6'7" or so and ~300 lbs or thereabouts. That's nbd these days, but in the early 90s...that was big. I'm partial to that offense over Logan's.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:06 pm

TJ Guy offered by Nebraska
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium