2019 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2019 BC Football

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Re: 2019 BC Football

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:35 pm

We brought in a laxbro: https://goriverhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5272
Anyone know if he was given a scholarship?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Also, EJ Perry is officially gone.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm

As we all already know, this year is truly a rebuilding year. These are the only players who will consume all of their remaining NCAA eligibility this year:

Elijah Robinson
Richard Yeargin
Nolan Borgersen
Danny Dalton
Ben Glines
Mehdi El Attrach
Aaron Boumerhi
Clifford Kurker
Tanner Karafa
Dwayne Scott
Hayden Mahoney
Anthony Palazzolo
John Phillips
Chris Garrison
Jake Burt
Korab Idrizi
Ray Marten

Other than John Phillips, Chris Garrison, and maybe Tanner Karafa, will we miss ANY of these guys? I expect Elijah Robinson to be productive this year after sitting out last year, but I just don't see a whole lot of contribution here from the 2015 recruiting class.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Early lines...
+2.5 vs VT
-13 vs Kansas
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am

finally absorbing this:

bryce sebastian DB? i thought he was going to play sherm alston role
aj up to 250 (was listed 245 last year)
cj lewis up to 225 (was 210 last year)
yeargin confirmed in
the new RS rule really helped us
we're as deep as i can remember at LB but lack experience
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 am

is it too early to say 10 and 2?

just wondering.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:13 am

I sincerely and with all of my being hope Shitta Sillah becomes an all time great at BC. The jokes write themselves.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

yeargin confirmed in

Why is Dillon putting on additional weight? Makes no sense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

He was listed at WR in the signing day press release and there hasn't been an attrition at CB since then. Maybe they didn't like what they saw from the young DBs in the spring and may need him at nickle this season?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:52 pm

thamel wrote a long piece on AJ

https://sports.yahoo.com/boston-college ... 33582.html

Boston College’s AJ Dillon: ‘I’m ready to take college football by storm’

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – In Boston College’s fifth game of 2018, star tailback AJ Dillon took what his position coach refers to as a “water run.” BC running backs coach Brian White invented the dismissive term for runs that lack intention, as Dillon flowed horizontally behind the line of scrimmage and admits he “was just kind of going with the blockers.”

Instead of planting his foot and going vertically to grind out three yards, Dillon went with the flow. Along the wave, a player got blocked into his ankle and a season of Heisman hopes and All-America promise got rolled under by a high-ankle sprain.

The moment changed everything for Dillon, as he missed two games, hobbled through five others and encapsulated why he looks back with “animosity” at his sophomore season.

To call Dillon’s sophomore season a disappointment would be an overstatement, as he finished with 1,108 yards, scored 11 touchdowns and earned a first-team All-ACC selection. But it clearly fell below expectations, as he was the ACC Preseason Player of the Year and talked openly about a Heisman Trophy and a corresponding statue to flank Doug Flutie’s on BC’s campus.

Muddling through a season with a significant injury altered Dillon’s perspective, which manifested itself with a message on his Instagram page this offseason: “BE PHENOMENAL OR BE FORGOTTEN.”

“I look back on it now, and I’m grateful for it,” Dillon said. “I think because I kind of needed that fire. I was kind of feeling myself, you know, coming off freshman year and getting all the awards.”

A forgettable season ended in the most fitting way – with BC’s First Responder Bowl against Boise State canceled due to inclement weather. Dillon was finally healthy and ran for an early touchdown, statistics that got washed out with the game. From his freshman to sophomore year, Dillon’s yards per carry dipped from 5.3 to 4.9 and overall rushing yards fell by 440. The aura of invincibility that surrounded him during the later part of 2017 – 272 yards against Louisville and three touchdowns against Syracuse – faded away.

The conga line of national media coming through Boston to interview Dillon and tell his compelling backstory disappeared this summer, as he did just one interview.

Dillon plans to be sure no one forgets about him this season: “I'm ready to take college football by storm.”

Dillon’s Instagram inspiration came via motivational speaker Eric Thomas, who also offered a piece of insight that’s guided Dillon heading into his junior year: “The lion doesn’t just catch the gazelle, they appreciate the hunt.”

White saw Dillon’s sophomore setbacks play out a generation earlier. He coached Ron Dayne as an assistant at Wisconsin in the late 1990s when his statistics dipped significantly from his freshman to sophomore year – from 6.5 yards per carry to 5.5.

White saw the same parallel themes play out from Dayne in 1997 more than two decades later. Both Dillon and Dayne’s early success emboldened them with a belief that it would simply happen again. Neither were non-compliant, but they didn’t put in the extra work. “They just didn't have the same thirst for doing more, because I just think they believed that it was just going to happen,” White said. “And consequently, the same thing happened to Ron that happened to AJ. You take a lazy rep, you get hurt.”

Dayne, of course, went on to win the Heisman Trophy in 1999 and set the NCAA career rushing record. Dillon has spent the seven months since BC’s canceled bowl attempting to recalibrate his career trajectory on a similar plane.

Dillon is in elite physical condition, trimming down to five percent body fat, with his muscles at a recent morning workout appearing as if they were chiseled out of granite. Dillon is a 6-foot, 251-pound back with a 39-inch vertical jump. To put that in perspective, he’d have been the seventh-highest jumper out of the more than 50 players at the most recent NBA draft combine.

As he’s gotten healthy and refined himself physically, Dillon has maintained what White says the BC coaches call “Eagle Eyes” in the program. He says it’s the look of Tiger Woods on Sunday at Augusta, an unwavering focus that waned occasionally the previous offseason. “The way he’s attacked his preparation both physically and mentally, the consistency and the thirst that I’ve seen that, quite honestly, was lacking last summer at this time,” White said. “Last year was not the year he expected to have or wanted to have, so I think he’s more than ready to prove that he’s an elite football player.”

What will be different in 2019? Dillon raved about new offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian, who has brought a focus on explosive plays in head coach Steve Addazio’s tempo-based pro-style offense. That includes a more vertical element to the passing game for junior quarterback Anthony Brown, who appeared to take a leap this spring. BC’s tight-end room is one of the best in the country, as redshirt sophomore Hunter Long could be one of the sport’s breakout players. “If we can throw the ball to a different level than we have in the past and play complementary football,” Dillon said, “we’ll have one of the best offenses in college football.”

Bajakian came from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with whom he served as Jameis Winston’s quarterback coach and carries former Bucs head coach Dirk Koetter’s philosophy that explosive plays lead to more touchdown drives. Dillon is excited about wrinkles that include him lining up in the slot and catching more screen passes. “He’s got very good hands,” Bajakian said. “We’ve got to find ways to throw him the ball more. And just find different ways in the passing game to get him involved.”

The way teams will have to tackle Dillon will change, too. After he hurt his ankle in 2018, Dillon said teams focused in on tackling low. “Against Miami,” he said, “there’s literally plays where safeties are on their knees before they touch me.” Addazio said generally about teams going low on Dillon: “That guy takes hellacious hits. Everybody low-leg hunts him, it’s gross. No one will tackle him up top, so they’re all trying to take his knees out.”

Dillon couldn’t avoid those players last season because his ankle limited his ability to cut, plant and jump. Dillon’s hallmarks as a freshman were initiating and delivering contact, but he spent much of last season bracing for it.

In all likelihood, this will be Dillon’s last season at Boston College. He didn’t overtly say it, but the combination of his measurables and production would hint at him following the norm for the tailback position and leaving after three seasons.

After approaching last season with an air of inevitable success, Dillon has returned to relishing the hunt. Adjustments have been made, and he’s ready to make sure no one forgets about him again. “He’s absolutely the best running back in the country, as long as he stays healthy,” Addazio said. “Just watch this guy, he’s a freak.”

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I expect Dillon and Brown to have huge years. Dillon will be up for the big awards and Brown will be one of the ACC passing leaders.
BC football will outperform this year; People are going to be pleasantly surprised.

There, I said it.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:There, I said it.

We all hope it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:15 am

hansen {l Wrote}:I expect Dillon and Brown to have huge years. Dillon will be up for the big awards and Brown will be one of the ACC passing leaders.
BC football will outperform this year; People are going to be pleasantly surprised.

There, I said it.

it'll come together, and it'll be beautiful
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:45 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:I expect Dillon and Brown to have huge years. Dillon will be up for the big awards and Brown will be one of the ACC passing leaders.

There, I said it.

it'll come together, and it'll be beautiful 7-6

Fixed

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am

From the article...
1. It confirms what we all saw from Dillon. That he wasn't healthy. He was tentative. He couldn't avoid tacklers who went low.
2. Dillon's vertical is crazy: "Dillon is a 6-foot, 251-pound back with a 39-inch vertical jump. To put that in perspective, he’d have been the seventh-highest jumper out of the more than 50 players at the most recent NBA draft combine."
3. The piece about Bajakian focusing on throwing deep is refreshing. Dinks and dunks do not open up the run game. It actually plays right into a D who looking to load the box. It also requires a QB to squeeze the ball into tight windows (not an AB strong point). The deep ball, however, does open things a bit for Dillon. It also happens to play in nicely with an AB attribute (arm strength). It is one of those things that just seem so obvious. But, the big question will be whether Dazoo will ever permit it. I think his reticence comes from his time as an OLine coach (as deep throws require the OL to hold their blocks for longer).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am

on 3, AB also throws a very good deep ball (PFF had him highest rated in the ACC). bc wr's also dropped the 3rd highest % of passes in the p5

but as you said, will daz allow it?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

yeargin confirmed in

Yes, a 20-year-old who lifts every single day and has nutritionists designing his meals put on 5 pounds in a year. The mind reels.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am

Manny {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

yeargin confirmed in

Yes, a 20-year-old who lifts every single day and has nutritionists designing his meals put on 5 pounds in a year. The mind reels.

250 lbs is a ton of weight on a RB.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

yeargin confirmed in

Christian Okoye was 254lbs!!! and was a beast in video games I might add.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:BC football will outperform this year; People are going to be pleasantly surprised.

There, I said it.

I wish I could share your optimism but the fact is we were 7-6 last season with a more talented team. Where are we better this season?: RB & (hopefully) QB; TE probably even and then we are worse at every other position. Maybe the OC will make a difference but I doubt Daz would let him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:59 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:BC football will outperform this year; People are going to be pleasantly surprised.

There, I said it.

I wish I could share your optimism but the fact is we were 7-6 last season with a more talented team. Where are we better this season?: RB & (hopefully) QB; TE probably even and then we are worse at every other position. Maybe the OC will make a difference but I doubt Daz would let him.

I don't think the team is quite as bad off as they were in 2015 when they just couldn't score a point against even a marginal team, but I am with Ortiz here. I think they may struggle to win even 6 games. That said, I still hope that Hansen is right and that I am wrong.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

yeargin confirmed in

On the Boston College website, in the media guide, in the program and in the scouting report, Dillon is listed at 250 pounds. But those documents do not reveal that merely five percent of that 250 pounds is body fat and that Dillon can hurdle defenders with a 39-inch vertical leap. The average vertical for National Basketball Association players is 28 inches.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I say this every year and I don't want to sound repetitive like Corners but... at BC you need 3 things to win games because we aren't going to be blowing out teams and we're going to be in a lot of tight games.

1. A good head coach. Daz = NO.
2. A good quarterback. Still not sold at all on Brown. But prove me wrong. He shows it here and there but nowhere near the consistency needed to be explosive offensively.
3. A good kicker to win the close games - Does this matter after 1 and 2 are questionable? What is our kicker situation this season? Are we good here?

Daz and Brown absolutely need to deliver or we're just going to see a rerun of Dillon running into 8- and 9-man fronts and struggling. And perhaps getting banged up again.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:22 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:I say this every year and I don't want to sound repetitive like Corners but... at BC you need 3 things to win games because we aren't going to be blowing out teams and we're going to be in a lot of tight games.

1. A good head coach. Daz = NO.
2. A good quarterback. Still not sold at all on Brown. But prove me wrong. He shows it here and there but nowhere near the consistency needed to be explosive offensively.
3. A good kicker to win the close games - Does this matter after 1 and 2 are questionable? What is our kicker situation this season? Are we good here?

Daz and Brown absolutely need to deliver or we're just going to see a rerun of Dillon running into 8- and 9-man fronts and struggling. And perhaps getting banged up again.

One of the only reasons for optimism is the new offensive coordinator. BC had a decent offense under Day so there is precedent for Daz not ruining an offense. But Anthony Brown disappointed last year and I don't have high expectations for him in 2019. He will need to keep it more on read options for the offense to be successful.

I still can't believe Scot Loeffler got a head coaching job. There were a few games last year that were 2015 Fitch-esque.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

He was listed at WR in the signing day press release and there hasn't been an attrition at CB since then. Maybe they didn't like what they saw from the young DBs in the spring and may need him at nickle this season?

Flowers is now listed as a WR.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

finally absorbing this:

Flowers is now listed as a WR.

thanks gdf bb martin's minions

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:49 am

first practice next friday
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric