Offensive Coordinator?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Can we please hire a competent one?
After the kick in the balls that was today’s “no contest”, I could use some positive BC football news.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby Eagle1999 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 pm

I’m betting it’s an inside job and someone on the staff gets elevated. Would have happened by now if it were someone real.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Karma: 32

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:13 am

Eagle1999 wrote:I’m betting it’s an inside job and someone on the staff gets elevated. Would have happened by now if it were someone real.


I’m hoping that maybe it’s an NFL guy so he needs to wait until Black Monday.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 am

hansen wrote:
Eagle1999 wrote:I’m betting it’s an inside job and someone on the staff gets elevated. Would have happened by now if it were someone real.


I’m hoping that maybe it’s an NFL guy so he needs to wait until Black Monday.

Daz seems to be aware that he is up against it in 2019. The last time he promoted from within, it was Todd Fitch and it was a disaster.

Despite of the universal loathing within the EO Coaching Staff, Daz is incredibly well-liked and respected among the rest of the coaching fraternity. He has a very deep connections from which he can explore. Don Brown, HCRD, Scott Loefler have all done extremely well for themselves financially after Daz gave them shots (and in Loefler's case also rehabilitated his career). While he may be on the hot seat, it really is no different that the hot seat that ANY head coach sits upon every year at major programs and the NFL. For BC fans, it feels different because we aren't a major program and pressure on a head coach is something that occurs only once a decade.

My point here is that Dazoo will be able to go out and hire a very good, competent OC if he so chooses. Or he can promote Brian White (who has already been passed over a few times). It all depends on whether Daz wants to be the OC or if he is willing to give someone else control. My guess is that, in typical overreacting-when-the-pressure-is-on fashion, Daz will want to control his own fate and assume play-calling while handing White the title. The best move he could make is giving fishcock the boot and hiring a real OL coach. This year's group was terrible with the loss of Justin Frye (who is now the OC at UCLA under Chip).
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 203

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:54 pm

HJS wrote:
hansen wrote:
Eagle1999 wrote:I’m betting it’s an inside job and someone on the staff gets elevated. Would have happened by now if it were someone real.


I’m hoping that maybe it’s an NFL guy so he needs to wait until Black Monday.

Daz seems to be aware that he is up against it in 2019. The last time he promoted from within, it was Todd Fitch and it was a disaster.

Despite of the universal loathing within the EO Coaching Staff, Daz is incredibly well-liked and respected among the rest of the coaching fraternity. He has a very deep connections from which he can explore. Don Brown, HCRD, Scott Loefler have all done extremely well for themselves financially after Daz gave them shots (and in Loefler's case also rehabilitated his career). While he may be on the hot seat, it really is no different that the hot seat that ANY head coach sits upon every year at major programs and the NFL. For BC fans, it feels different because we aren't a major program and pressure on a head coach is something that occurs only once a decade.

My point here is that Dazoo will be able to go out and hire a very good, competent OC if he so chooses. Or he can promote Brian White (who has already been passed over a few times). It all depends on whether Daz wants to be the OC or if he is willing to give someone else control. My guess is that, in typical overreacting-when-the-pressure-is-on fashion, Daz will want to control his own fate and assume play-calling while handing White the title. The best move he could make is giving fishcock the boot and hiring a real OL coach. This year's group was terrible with the loss of Justin Frye (who is now the OC at UCLA under Chip).


I've always thought the one thing Daz is really good at is self-preservation. for this reason, I think he will hire the absolute best OC he possibly can to avoid losing his BC gravy train. also, fully expect him to have significant input into the shape of what the offense will look like but not so much that he's in the way. that's my hope at least.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Based on absolutely nothing... I am going to say Zach Azzanni https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Azzanni or Kenny Carter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Car ... n_football) or an offensive assistant from his Temple staff https://owlsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=857&path=football
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 203

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby tallsy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Jack Bicknell. Sr or Jr whoever is cheaper. That or go to the root of the tree and name George Welsh HC in waiting.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am
Karma: 69

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

How about Dirk Koetter? He’s about to be unemployed and has BC connections
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -277

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:51 pm

I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3320
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 551

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm

ATLeagle wrote:I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.

That is why Zach Azzanni is the obvious choice. And, he’s available this afternoon once Vance Joseph is fired.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 203

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:10 pm

HJS wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.

That is why Zach Azzanni is the obvious choice. And, he’s available this afternoon once Vance Joseph is fired.


Would this be a good hire? I know nothing about him.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 pm

hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.

That is why Zach Azzanni is the obvious choice. And, he’s available this afternoon once Vance Joseph is fired.


Would this be a good hire? I know nothing about him.


He's got 2 zs in the middle of his last name, you know more than enough to form judgment
I look forward to being called stupid for expressing the above thought.
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: -467

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:
hansen wrote:
HJS wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.

That is why Zach Azzanni is the obvious choice. And, he’s available this afternoon once Vance Joseph is fired.


Would this be a good hire? I know nothing about him.


He's got 2 zs in the middle of his last name, you know more than enough to form judgment


a double 'z', a double 'n', and 3 vowels.

i'm sold. hire that minchia.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -129

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:20 pm

HJS wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think the Coen thing shows that Daz is less concerned about BC connections vs connections to his coaching network.

That is why Zach Azzanni is the obvious choice. And, he’s available this afternoon once Vance Joseph is fired.


He’s supposed to be a very good recruiter but the lack of OC experience isn’t great
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -277

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Dirk Koetter is available (j/k). He was H*nn*ng's 1st OC, iirc.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -129

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby durkcal on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 am

Koetter will be an OC in the NFL next season, if he wants to work at all. Setting himself up to be a retread hire as an NFL head coach in 2021.
durkcal
McGuinn Hall
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:11 am
Karma: 17

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:30 am

durkcal wrote:Koetter will be an OC in the NFL next season, if he wants to work at all. Setting himself up to be a retread hire as an NFL head coach in 2021.


See my post from above (I am a Bucs fan).

He's a good OC but a crappy HC
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15816
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Location: Danvers, MA
Karma: -277

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 am

Welcome back, Koetter?

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about
Well the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around



MF73-Eleazar wrote:Dirk Koetter is available (j/k). He was H*nn*ng's 1st OC, iirc.
User avatar
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm
Location: Marblehood, Marblehood...always up to no good
Karma: 201

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:56 pm

Thomas Brown, Offensive Coordinator/Running Backs Coach just became available.

32 years old, from Georgia. Played for the Bulldogs but coaching experience at Wisconsin, Miami and Marshall. Some limited (practice Squad / IR) NFL experience. Seems to have a lot of recruiting experience.
User avatar
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1166
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 pm
Location: Marblehood, Marblehood...always up to no good
Karma: 201

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:29 am

Do we plan on hiring an OC this year?
Or is Daz going to go from “very involved with offense” to calling plays himself.

P.s. I could think of nothing worse than Daz as an OC calling plays.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm

looking for a new strength coach, piriano was hired by vrabel
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 17454
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3018

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm

Sarge and Jarmond waiting on the cheapest possible candidates remaining after the dust settles.
"I have history, and I understand history, so I know where we’ve been and where we are, and where we are trying to go, okay? But it’s been somewhere between 6.5 and 6.6 wins a year since 1980, which is 38 years. We’re at 7..."
User avatar
DavidGordonsFoot
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14859
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm
Location: Not tobaccoroad
Karma: 2891

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:05 pm

claver2010 wrote:looking for a new strength coach, piriano was hired by vrabel

Good for Piriano... another tough loss for us.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 203

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:21 pm
Karma: 116

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:56 pm



Former assistant BC strength coach from 2012 to 2016 followed by 2 years at Texas.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:58 pm

hansen wrote:


Former assistant BC strength coach from 2012 to 2016 followed by 2 years at Texas.


was at Rice as well for a long time before BC....wonder why he was out or wanted out of Texas
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2334
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 517

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

2001Eagle wrote:
hansen wrote:


Former assistant BC strength coach from 2012 to 2016 followed by 2 years at Texas.


was at Rice as well for a long time before BC....wonder why he was out or wanted out of Texas

That was a lightning fast turnaround. Seems that McLafferty must've loved working with the kids at BC. Daz thought highly of him as he seems to be his first call. Ultimately, this is probably a decent save.
7-wins... and lovin’ it
User avatar
HJS
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 13861
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 203

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but another thing that might make the OC position an attractive offer to potential candidates is Daz's hot seat. If things start off badly and there's a mid-season firing, I'd expect OC or DC to be elevated.

Could be a quick ascent from OC to P5 head coach...
User avatar
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2524
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:07 am
Karma: 100

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 pm

2001Eagle wrote:
hansen wrote:


Former assistant BC strength coach from 2012 to 2016 followed by 2 years at Texas.


was at Rice as well for a long time before BC....wonder why he was out or wanted out of Texas


a promotion from assistant to head strength coach is enough reason imo even if he is a Texas native.
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

Re: Offensive Coordinator?

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

dtwalrus wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned, but another thing that might make the OC position an attractive offer to potential candidates is Daz's hot seat. If things start off badly and there's a mid-season firing, I'd expect OC or DC to be elevated.

Could be a quick ascent from OC to P5 head coach...


I stopped reading at "daz's hot seat"
HANSENPOST :shrug

Image
User avatar
hansen
Fulton Hall
 
Posts: 14061
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Not Japan
Karma: 251

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Untitled document