Official Gameday Thead - BC at FSU - 11/17/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC at FSU - 11/17/2018

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:10 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:I’ve seen it written by someone else here before, but there’s a reason literally no one else runs a scheme with 8 tight ends on the field. This shit doesn’t work and it never will. It’s idiotic.

It’s me. It’s incredibly stupid. What are these 6’6” 280 lb hulking TEs supposed to do with the ball when they catch it. They also completely suck at blocking.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Why don’t our DBs ever purposely take a Pass Interference call? I know FSU, Miami, VT and Clemson DBs have purposely done a PI when burnt for what would otherwise be a big play. Sebastian was beat, but could’ve tackled him before the ball arived. At that point, you don’t care about 15 yards, you care only about giving up 70 for a TD.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:I’ve seen it written by someone else here before, but there’s a reason literally no one else runs a scheme with 8 tight ends on the field. This shit doesn’t work and it never will. It’s idiotic.

It’s me. It’s incredibly stupid. What are these 6’6” 280 lb hulking TEs supposed to do with the ball when they catch it. They also completely suck at blocking.

In principle with the perfect parts, having three TE’s who can both block and catch paired with a lethal RB and a very good O-Line and a QB that can make reads on a play action is a good idea. It’s just that we have like 35% of those things and thats hard to properly execute

Edit: also a cunning/competent offensive coordinator and coach
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

In principle with the perfect parts, having three TE’s who can both block and catch paired with a lethal RB and a very good O-Line and a QB that can make reads on a play action is a good idea. It’s just that we have like 35% of those things and thats hard to properly execute

Edit: also a cunning/competent offensive coordinator and coach

Unless you can find 3 of OJ Howard sitting around somewhere it’s still incredibly stupid. This entire offensively philosophy revolves around unathletic players making like 12 perfect blocks to spring the RB.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Why don’t our DBs ever purposely take a Pass Interference call? I know FSU, Miami, VT and Clemson DBs have purposely done a PI when burnt for what would otherwise be a big play. Sebastian was beat, but could’ve tackled him before the ball arived. At that point, you don’t care about 15 yards, you care only about giving up 70 for a TD.

Watch the replay, BS was too far behind him and couldn't have even if he tried. Also, for some reason, we did not have our pass rush package in on that play and the FSU QB didn't have a BC rusher anywhere near him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Watching KC run option right now, and so glad dual threat QBs are just a fad.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Lt. Dingleberry on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Watching KC run option right now, and so glad dual threat QBs are just a fad.

"this is all flash! these coaches don't understand the grit and toughness required to scratch and claw your way to the 4th quarter! damnit honey, whip me up another apple martini" -seven win steve in his living room
Lt. Dingleberry
n00b

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Having a different offense from the rest of college football isn't a bad idea on its own. Look at Army or Georgia Tech. But to do that you have to have a real system and be able to plug in any player and not miss a beat. But we have a grab bag offense with no true identity other than "tempo."
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 pm

The tempo is the only good part of the offense. People that hate tempo are worse than people that hate dual threat QBs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The tempo is the only good part of the offense. People that hate tempo are worse than people that hate dual threat QBs.

Even if the tempo is Hurry Up No Offense?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The tempo is the only good part of the offense. People that hate tempo are worse than people that hate dual threat QBs.

I like tempo. We have more talent than most of our opponents, so it makes sense to increase the reps. My frustration is the offense is a mess and makes little sense week to week, game to game and player to player. We run between the tackles one week with straight power. The next we have a lot of pulling, counters. Then zone strechess. Etc. None of it particularly crisp. We also are run first yet sometime we use play action sometimes we don't. We are explosive due to talent, not gameplan or consistency.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Watching KC run option right now, and so glad dual threat QBs are just a fad.

Key word "dual" you can run like a deer, but if you cant throw for shit, go play running back, you aint a QB.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:47 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Key word "dual" you can run like a deer, but if you cant throw for shit, go play running back, you aint a QB.

Yup, okay. Matty Ice!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I like tempo. We have more talent than most of our opponents, so it makes sense to increase the reps. My frustration is the offense is a mess and makes little sense week to week, game to game and player to player. We run between the tackles one week with straight power. The next we have a lot of pulling, counters. Then zone strechess. Etc. None of it particularly crisp. We also are run first yet sometime we use play action sometimes we don't. We are explosive due to talent, not gameplan or consistency.

I believe this is due to Daz "self scouting" our team and making sure we go against trends. He thinks that the plays that work are because the D was confused by a formation or motion. The reality is that we ain't tricking anyone. The plays that worked are because our guys lined up and beat the guys they were against. No amount of motion is going to get Jon Baker to run 20 yards faster to get out infront of Levy on a sweep.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I believe this is due to Daz "self scouting" our team and making sure we go against trends. He thinks that the plays that work are because the D was confused by a formation or motion. The reality is that we ain't tricking anyone. The plays that worked are because our guys lined up and beat the guys they were against. No amount of motion is going to get Jon Baker to run 20 yards faster to get out infront of Levy on a sweep.

Disagree except for the point you make that that our OL is overrated

Clemson had no fucking idea what was going on while we still had Brown. its clear they are robotic football playing cyborgs. without having the sideline coaches telling them what to do they were clearly fucked.

I get what Daz is trying to do... put the best players that we can recruit on the field as much as possible. that said, until we get an accurate QB it doesn't matter what the fuck we do schematically (unless we went to triple option or something that requires not throwing the ball down the field).

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby blueline on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:The best part of the whole thing was watching the game with a group that included an FSU guy. He’s a really nice guy and he has been severely emotionally damaged by the last two seasons. When they scored he did not cheer. He just kept saying “Shit, we left you too much time.” I laughed and told him he had nothing to worry about—that our coach was terrified and that the gutlessness had flowed down to our players. On the kick off return he just kept chanting “Oh shit, oh no. Here it comes. Here it comes.” I laughed again and told him even if we somehow moved the ball 40 yards, there was no way BC would make a FG. After we dropped the easy 1st down pass, he was again utterly convinced that the next pass would be a dagger. I again laughed and said that was the ballgame—what little confidence AB had was gone based on his reaction and body language after the drop and we would not come close to making a 1st down. When the game ended, he was incredulous. He literally could not believe how poorly coached we were and how poorly we executed. He then purchased me a beer and commiserated over being saddled with an incompetent coach with no chance of getting rid of him for next year. It was just pure misery.

Does the AD have the balls to can Daz ? Or does this depend on the higher authorities above him ?
blueline
n00b

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium