Boston Restaurants

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Boston Restaurants

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:56 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:... I'm really half dreading and half fascinated to go on college tours with my oldest in a few years.

having two college freshman i can say it is a very different experience than it was back in the late 80s when i was doing my touring. maybe it depends on the school (one of mine is at a jesuit school, the other at a VERY LARGE out-of-state land grant school) but what i felt like both me and the kids saw was more sanitized than even the front office view we got back when i was visiting the catholic schools of the north-east. or maybe i'm just a naive old man...

but i also was at bc before there was cable, internet, tinder, lower dining hall (3 of the 4 years), adderall, etc. a very different world
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:... I'm really half dreading and half fascinated to go on college tours with my oldest in a few years.

having two college freshman i can say it is a very different experience than it was back in the late 80s when i was doing my touring. maybe it depends on the school (one of mine is at a jesuit school, the other at a VERY LARGE out-of-state land grant school) but what i felt like both me and the kids saw was more sanitized than even the front office view we got back when i was visiting the catholic schools of the north-east. or maybe i'm just a naive old man...

but i also was at bc before there was cable, internet, tinder, lower dining hall (3 of the 4 years), adderall, etc. a very different world

didn't realize until this post that adderrall didn't exist in its current form until 1994. a previous formulation apparently existed prior to that but it contained 2 methamphetamines and was not marketed for add.

tinder was cool back in 2012 but now it's mostly bots, aspiring Russian brides, transgenders, and girls not looking to hookup.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Cue the BCHerbert post for naive old men ... Thoughts on the fifth floor library bathrooms of these institutions?

I kid. I'm interested to see the extent to which structured experiences dominate - millenials love or need structured experiences, my kids do not. At all. They are perfectly happy to go in cold and sort things out for themselves.

They happy where they are? You happy where they are?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:30 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Wing It would not deliver to my Mod after I threatened to kill Wing It over the telephone.

I was mad.

If you had explained that you burned all the skin off your weener with lye, he might have been sympathetic and thrown in some extra blue cheese sauce.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:35 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

get the "suicide buffalo sauce" - it's not that hot

What was the nature of the bet you lost?

Large honey bbq plus mozzarella cheese sticks is what Zeus ate before he threw Cronos into Tartarus. Food of the gods. Why people ordered shit like Fast Eddie's when Wing It was available never made any sense to me.

i looked at their menu to remind myself to whether they called it suicide or nuclear. in doing so i see now that they also serve kababs and other non-wing/mozz stick related dishes. this was not the wing-it that i remember that served wings and maybe some soggy fries

fucking nerds

p.s. - the terrible order place in the latter part of my heights career was pizza etc - but only because you could charge it to the meal card. that was a very foreign concept in the early 90s, back when donna martin had to fight to graduate

I recall Papa Gino's being the first place you could charge to your meal card? It was next to Arbuckle's and it was terrible.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I recall Papa Gino's being the first place you could charge to your meal card? It was next to Arbuckle's and it was terrible.

I loved Arbuckles. Get a seat in the window and walk out through the kitchen if it was the end of the month and you saw the police approaching.

Mez' mom should get some chips from the MA's vending machine and then laugh at whatever jackass it is on here who has crapped in the bathrooms there.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

Large honey bbq plus mozzarella cheese sticks is what Zeus ate before he threw Cronos into Tartarus. Food of the gods. Why people ordered shit like Fast Eddie's when Wing It was available never made any sense to me.

i looked at their menu to remind myself to whether they called it suicide or nuclear. in doing so i see now that they also serve kababs and other non-wing/mozz stick related dishes. this was not the wing-it that i remember that served wings and maybe some soggy fries

fucking nerds

p.s. - the terrible order place in the latter part of my heights career was pizza etc - but only because you could charge it to the meal card. that was a very foreign concept in the early 90s, back when donna martin had to fight to graduate

I recall Papa Gino's being the first place you could charge to your meal card? It was next to Arbuckle's and it was terrible.

pizza etc. was slightly less craptacular than papa ginos, hence that was our meal card go-to.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:54 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

Cue the BCHerbert post for naive old men ... Thoughts on the fifth floor library bathrooms of these institutions?

I kid. I'm interested to see the extent to which structured experiences dominate - millenials love or need structured experiences, my kids do not. At all. They are perfectly happy to go in cold and sort things out for themselves.

They happy where they are? You happy where they are?

the "official visits" are overly structured so your kids will be driven mad by this. opening week is even more structured - and they bring the freshman to campus a week or more prior to classes starting for group dynamics, safe-space discussions, etc. i was not present for all that shit, but heard all about it and could feel the eye-rollings through the phone.

they are both quite pleased with where they are and very happy with their schools' performance in their major of study. i have more faith in them paying for my old age home than i do for their younger siblings...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:21 pm

I think my BC visit was the Gasson, Doug Flutie Loves Girls joke, quad, Oneil, the Plex and Conte finished up with a walk up Oneil's steps. We didnt see a classroom or a dorm.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

fucking nerds

pizza etc. was slightly less craptacular than papa ginos, hence that was our meal card go-to.

Papa gina’s Had shitty pizza but actually made a semi-decent cheese steak
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:32 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think my BC visit was the Gasson, Doug Flutie Loves Girls joke, quad, Oneil, the Plex and Conte finished up with a walk up Oneil's steps. We didnt see a classroom or a dorm.

As of the early 2000s, the tour was this + "these stairs are heated and cost a million dollars."
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:32 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think my BC visit was the Gasson, Doug Flutie Loves Girls joke, quad, Oneil, the Plex and Conte finished up with a walk up Oneil's steps. We didnt see a classroom or a dorm.

the DFLG joke was something different, something more politically correct in 1996. I don't remember what it was though.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

As of the early 2000s, the tour was this + "these stairs are heated and cost a million dollars."

fuck those millennial pussified stairs.... old Higgins stairs forever, new Higgins stairs never.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:34 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

I'll admit that Fast Eddie's received a fair share of my spending cash during junior year off campus but just because it was within walking distance of Cummings.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't get behind il panini being fancy. Christ.

I read that as “i agree il panini is a good place in the north end and grill 23 if you want a fancy place”. But re-reading it, your comprehension of the sentence seems more accurate from what is actually written. I tend to think my interpretation although not what he literally says, it is what he actually meant.

:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

Ya I missed a punctuation mark there...Il Panino is nice but not Grill 23 nice
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:58 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

I'll admit that Fast Eddie's received a fair share of my spending cash during junior year off campus but just because it was within walking distance of Cummings.

did you also live at 56 Cummings?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Can't believe how many people here like Abe and louies. Shitty steaks and 58 year old tail. Kudos.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't believe how many people here like Abe and louies. Shitty steaks and 58 year old tail. Kudos.

I bet their bud light is cold, though
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Los on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 am

Does Lucky Wah still deliver to BC?
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:I'll admit that Fast Eddie's received a fair share of my spending cash during junior year off campus but just because it was within walking distance of Cummings.

Walking distance, all bets are off - it's why chi-chi made any money at all. Cause sometimes the late night hunger is too overwhelming to wait for delivery (for certain posters, this condition never moderated or altered after college).
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Vinny Testa's

don't know if they are still open since I was there in 2002, but that was the best Italian in the suburbs
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

Nope. 11 Cummings.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:53 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Vinny Testa's

don't know if they are still open since I was there in 2002, but that was the best Italian in the suburbs

You would suggest a closed down suburban restaurant chain that was bought by Bertucci’s and sold to Buca di Beppo’s or whatever the fuck it’s called as THE SPOT to go in an city with rich Italian cuisine.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:17 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

You would suggest a closed down suburban restaurant chain that was bought by Bertucci’s and sold to Buca di Beppo’s or whatever the fuck it’s called as THE SPOT to go in an city with rich Italian cuisine.

If you live in Framingham, Newton, Dedham, or wherever, sometimes you can't always make it into the North End for decent Italian food...
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:12 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

If you live in Framingham, Newton, Dedham, or wherever, sometimes you can't always make it into the North End for decent Italian food...

Go to Alta Strada then, or La Morra if you can make it a little farther in
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

And if you’re staying in Cleveland Circle, as is the case here, you can.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 am

There's an italian joint in newton center that's pretty good, tartufo
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:49 am

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

Nope. 11 Cummings.

Probably didn’t even have a Mexican family living in a dank, unheated crawl-space-like basement.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:03 pm

They upgraded the undocumenteds in 56 when I lived there. There were 6 Irish nationals living in the basement who worked construction and then got piss drunk at Green Briar every night and came home shouting and swinging at each other on the street at 3 AM
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

fucking nerds

And now they are bankrupt.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium