Boston Restaurants

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Boston Restaurants

Postby mezmrin on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:07 pm

My Ma is headed up there all next week for the game and was wondering if I knew any good restaurants up there that take reservations. They are staying near BC, but are planning on getting some kind of pass that lets them ride the train all the week??? I'm not sure exactly but sounds like they should be able to get most anywhere if need be. Any suggestions? Needs to fill like 4 or 5 nights. Thanks ahead of time. :toby
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Re: Boston Restaurants

Postby commavegarage on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:30 pm

price range? and are they staying in brookline? specific hotel wouldnt hurt - wont parcel service you
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby mezmrin on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Not sure what brookline is. they are staying on Strathmore Rd (condo). 2 stations away from BC. they dont want to have to dress up to go somewhere and dont mind going downtown on some nights. i would guess $40-50 a person most nights maybe one night more if the place is worth it. already going to a place called The Barking Crab?
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm assuming they're staying somewhere around Comm Ave and Strathmore. There are a bunch of places around Washington Square, which is a short walk or walk + train ride from Strathmore. Washington Square Tavern is good and I've heard good things about Burro Bar but haven't been to that specific location. Publick House has a great beer list if they're into that. Barcelona Wine Bar is a decent enough spot for tapas.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:43 pm

mezmrin {l Wrote}:Not sure what brookline is. they are staying on Strathmore Rd (condo). 2 stations away from BC. they dont want to have to dress up to go somewhere and dont mind going downtown on some nights. i would guess $40-50 a person most nights maybe one night more if the place is worth it. already going to a place called The Barking Crab?

Barking Crab has been one of my favorites (though I haven't been there in many years).
Pretty much any place in the North End will be the best Italian food they've ever had (i.e. even better than Olive Garden).
Union Oyster House is touristy... but they are tourists and would probably enjoy it.

Like I'd advise in NYC... food throughout Boston is generally very good. I'd pick places based upon where you are doing other activities. Except for Strathmore... there is nothing around there other than Citysides and a few block stroll passed the locale of the transitive weiner kissing.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Neptune Oyster (North End)
Daily Catch (North End)
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby mezmrin on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby mod6A on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:59 pm

if they want to get crazy they can go to eagle deli and eat a 7 lb hamburger sandwich and a lunch tray full of french fries.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Mez! I was just checking in to see if you asked the board...glad you did!

Hoping for a BC win at Lane Stadium this Saturday...you guys are going to destroy Louisville. Fingers crossed for a huge match up on November 10th....and also hoping for really cold weather! 8-)
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:49 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:if they want to get crazy they can go to eagle deli and eat a 7 lb hamburger sandwich and a lunch tray full of french fries.

:whalepants

I thought Eagles Deli went hipster.
Can someone confirm or deny?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Yeah Eagles has been sold and remade twice over. Original owners cashed out shortly after they got featured on food network.

Still have the challenge burgers but the place is clean and the staff doesn’t yell at you.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm

La Morra in Brookline Village has always been good for more convenient Italian. Of course you lose the experience of going into the North End
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
mezmrin {l Wrote}:Not sure what brookline is. they are staying on Strathmore Rd (condo). 2 stations away from BC. they dont want to have to dress up to go somewhere and dont mind going downtown on some nights. i would guess $40-50 a person most nights maybe one night more if the place is worth it. already going to a place called The Barking Crab?

Pretty much any place in the North End will be the best Italian food they've ever had (i.e. even better than Olive Garden).

You are funneling your inner MassHole here.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Please spare them the Barking Crab. That place is a tourist trap.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:47 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:La Morra in Brookline Village has always been good for more convenient Italian. Of course you lose the experience of going into the North End

This. Fireplace in Washington Square is good too.

If you want fine dining, throw a dart at a map of the South End.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:La Morra in Brookline Village has always been good for more convenient Italian. Of course you lose the experience of going into the North End

This. Fireplace in Washington Square is good too.

If you want fine dining, throw a dart at a map of the South End.

Fireplace was replaced earlier this year by some shitty seafood restaurant. It’ll be out of that spot within a year I bet.

Echoing what has been said on this thread around BC:

-avoid Cleveland circle like the plague nothing good there.
-wash sq has good food: burro bar is reasonably priced high(er) end Mexican. Probably my favorite bang for your buck in the area. The abbey is too small and food isn’t good enough to waste your time. Barcelona I am not a huge fan of its too hipster for me. Publick House is known for having every beer under the sun plus pretty decent pub food. Should it be a late evening out, Golden temple has the best Chinese food outside of Chinatown in Boston imo
-I would bypass the Coolidge corner area - there is nothing there that is better than Washington square, and it’s further from them. If they’re gonna go to Coolidge corner just keep going into back bay / south end at that point

-while we’re on this topic: if anyone has a good Chinese place in back bay / south end area let me know
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am

Also if they are hellbent in having “good Boston Italian food” at a reasonable price, I would direct them to make a reservation in giacomos in the south end. You can’t make a reservation at the one in the north end, it always has a huge line, and the south end is much closer.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:27 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also if they are hellbent in having “good Boston Italian food” at a reasonable price, I would direct them to make a reservation in giacomos in the south end. You can’t make a reservation at the one in the north end, it always has a huge line, and the south end is much closer.

Skip the North End. Cinqucento or Davinci for Italian.

Didn't realize Fireplace closed. Liked it the one time I went.

There's no good Chinese takeout in the Back Bay. The place I want to on Mass Ave closed along time ago and was replaced by a dumpling joint.

Myers & Chang is good, but that's more trendy Asian fusion.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also if they are hellbent in having “good Boston Italian food” at a reasonable price, I would direct them to make a reservation in giacomos in the south end. You can’t make a reservation at the one in the north end, it always has a huge line, and the south end is much closer.

There's no good Chinese takeout in the Back Bay. The place I want to on Mass Ave closed along time ago and was replaced by a dumpling joint.

disagree about skipping the north end. Going to the north end once is worthwhile if you are a tourist.
but once you've been there once, there's really no reason to go back for the reasons people mentioned.

p.s. I hate dumplings.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:39 am

Also Newton Center has some decent restaurants now. Central is good. Sycamore is trendy farm to table-y if you're in to that. And there is a quality ramen joint called Little Big Diner. If you just want a bar, they redid Union Street and its not terrible.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also Newton Center has some decent restaurants now. Central is good. Sycamore is trendy farm to table-y if you're in to that. And there is a quality ramen joint called Little Big Diner. If you just want a bar, they redid Union Street and its not terrible.

Lee's in Newton Center has the best burger near campus now that Eagles changed hands if you want quick gameday food
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby mezmrin on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:12 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:Mez! I was just checking in to see if you asked the board...glad you did!

Hoping for a BC win at Lane Stadium this Saturday...you guys are going to destroy Louisville. Fingers crossed for a huge match up on November 10th....and also hoping for really cold weather! 8-)

Yah, I'm thinking gameday should be there. Bob Ley can do a tear jerker story about whalepants.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

yeah i still order from golden temple and have them deliver downtown

i liked fireplace from oct - february. new place is atrocious

both the italian spots mentioned above are good. i guess itd be worth their while to go to the north end if theyve never been, but i avoid the north end like the plague now. cant recall the last time i was there. too many good italian options not there

also if they plan on splurging for a night, for steaks i go abe & louies and grille 23 above any other steakhouse by a wide margin in boston, but people might have other opinions. mistral is also probably my favorite restaurant in boston while were talking about higher end restaurants

in terms of brunch food, everybody goes to stephanies on newbury which is good, but a little too touristy for me and is expensive for brunch food. if youre not going to go to abe and louies for dinner, i highly recommend their brunch menu - very reasonably priced and outstanding. zaftigs is good and is closer to them, but not as good and will have a line on weekend mornings. personally think it is overrated.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Also Newton Center has some decent restaurants now. Central is good. Sycamore is trendy farm to table-y if you're in to that. And there is a quality ramen joint called Little Big Diner. If you just want a bar, they redid Union Street and its not terrible.

also - this is a good point. since they're gonna be there for a while, if they dont wanna jackass downtown every night they could take an uber to newton center and have some good (not great) food. it would be a lot easier logistically between 530-7 pm.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:30 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:yeah i still order from golden temple and have them deliver downtown

I used to order from hoy hing. It was always my favorite takeout Chinese place. “Youz ordah chine food?”
I admit that Golden temple was always great for big groups and scorpion bowls.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Myers & Chang is good, but that's more trendy Asian fusion.

anecdotal but there are fewer and fewer traditional chinese food spots, most new ones are fusion.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Myers & Chang is good, but that's more trendy Asian fusion.

anecdotal but there are fewer and fewer traditional chinese food spots, most new ones are fusion.

I feel like that trend is happening across the country which is a shame. Do you really want someone from Thailand making Japanese food or someone from China making Vietnamese food? It puts a strange twist on the food and makes it less authentic which I find disappointing. Also, It’s tiresome to go to a restaurant and and see a menu with 7 different Asian countries on the list. Like they are trying to throw shit on the wall and see what sticks. Or going to a restaurant which adds in the latest trendy Asian country’s food as a side piece to what they are known for. I just think it’s gimmicky; I miss the specialization of restaurants in the past. These trends I don’t think are limited to Asian food but it seems highly noticeable there.

Ok, enough ranting, I’ll go back to yelling at clouds now...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

That said, Tiger Mama is the shit. Banyan Bar + Refuge is pretty good too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:yeah i still order from golden temple and have them deliver downtown

I used to order from hoy hing. It was always my favorite takeout Chinese place. “Youz ordah chine food?”
I admit that Golden temple was always great for big groups and scorpion bowls.

i used to order 10 dumplings from hoy hing on the walk home from ma's every single night. glory days

its not longer in business
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:39 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I feel like that trend is happening across the country which is a shame. Do you really want someone from Thailand making Japanese food or someone from China making Vietnamese food? It puts a strange twist on the food and makes it less authentic which I find disappointing.

Uh. So when you go out you only eat Mexican and Central America food?
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium