Boston Restaurants

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Boston Restaurants

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:03 pm

ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Myers & Chang is good, but that's more trendy Asian fusion.

anecdotal but there are fewer and fewer traditional chinese food spots, most new ones are fusion.

I feel like that trend is happening across the country which is a shame. Do you really want someone from Thailand making Japanese food or someone from China making Vietnamese food? It puts a strange twist on the food and makes it less authentic which I find disappointing.

Uh. So when you go out you only eat Mexican and Central America food?

hansen likes to eat wang. i didn't previously realize he was racist about it, but i guess he only wants to eat purebred wang.

who'd have guessed that was a thing
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Myers & Chang is good, but that's more trendy Asian fusion.

anecdotal but there are fewer and fewer traditional chinese food spots, most new ones are fusion.

I feel like that trend is happening across the country which is a shame. Do you really want someone from Thailand making Japanese food or someone from China making Vietnamese food? It puts a strange twist on the food and makes it less authentic which I find disappointing.

hansen likes to eat wang. i didn't previously realize he was racist about it, but i guess he only wants to eat purebred wang.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:18 pm

ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:11 pm

mezmrin {l Wrote}:Not sure what brookline is. they are staying on Strathmore Rd (condo). 2 stations away from BC. they dont want to have to dress up to go somewhere and dont mind going downtown on some nights. i would guess $40-50 a person most nights maybe one night more if the place is worth it. already going to a place called The Barking Crab?

If she is dead set on the Barking Crab, she will need to know that if she is taking the T, it is a bit of a walk from the nearest station. There will be locals there but the only people eating will be tourists. They won't need to dress up. That said, I have not been inside the Barking Crab in about 5 years and have never eaten there, though I see it almost every day. Enjoy!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:21 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I feel like that trend is happening across the country which is a shame. Do you really want someone from Thailand making Japanese food or someone from China making Vietnamese food? It puts a strange twist on the food and makes it less authentic which I find disappointing. Also, It’s tiresome to go to a restaurant and and see a menu with 7 different Asian countries on the list. Like they are trying to throw shit on the wall and see what sticks. Or going to a restaurant which adds in the latest trendy Asian country’s food as a side piece to what they are known for. I just think it’s gimmicky; I miss the specialization of restaurants in the past. These trends I don’t think are limited to Asian food but it seems highly noticeable there.

Ok, enough ranting, I’ll go back to yelling at clouds now...

Dude I hear ya. We went into a well known Italian restaurant in Easta Boston called Rino's recently. It is a small, charming place on a corner that feels like it could be the site of a hit for some consigliere while he is dining casually. My wife went to use the facilities and peered into the kitchen and guess what? The entire kitchen staff was completely Chinese! Not a single Eyetalian in site. WTF! So to top it off the food really sucked. We would never go back there again.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 pm

if you're doing the north end, as one of the resident ginzos the proper answer is il panino
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:45 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:if you're doing the north end, as one of the resident ginzos the proper answer is il panino

what's the place Daz buys the cannoli from?

p.s. speaking of Daz, did anyone notice in one of the recent interviews with the players (might have been last week, I cant remember exactly), one of the reporters referred to Coach Addazio as "Daz". I thought that was hysterical.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Uptown Eagle on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:16 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:yeah i still order from golden temple and have them deliver downtown

I used to order from hoy hing. It was always my favorite takeout Chinese place. “Youz ordah chine food?”
I admit that Golden temple was always great for big groups and scorpion bowls.

i used to order 10 dumplings from hoy hing on the walk home from ma's every single night. glory days

its not longer in business

Hoy Hing! I haven't thought about that name in almost 20 years. My stomach simultaneously applauded and cringed upon reading the name just now.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:02 am

Fireplace should’ve gone out of business long ago. It was a nice enough enough place but they barely broke even cause the owner was a scumbag drug addict who was being supported by his rich parents well into his 40s
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:27 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Fireplace should’ve gone out of business long ago. It was a nice enough enough place but they barely broke even cause the owner was a scumbag drug addict who was being supported by his rich parents well into his 40s

so did the owner beat you up or did he just steal your man?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:06 am

I worked there for a bit after I graduated. Being the only straight guy on front of house staff, Jim would always point out the women he brought into the place with him. They were always asian and he would tell me when they were prostitutes. He'd usually pop in in the middle of a Friday night with a hooker, go behind the bar, grab a few bottles of wine from stock, and then leave.

I'm pretty sure he got caught with coke and a prostitute one time too but somehow the charges got waved away.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:49 am

Oh and don't take HJS's recommendation that every place in the North End is classic tourist thinking. There's some places worth going but some really crappy experiences too.

Monica's is probably my favorite, then il panino. Place like Bricco's is touristy but good. Haven't done the new sushi place? in the neighborhood.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Fireplace should’ve gone out of business long ago. It was a nice enough enough place but they barely broke even cause the owner was a scumbag drug addict who was being supported by his rich parents well into his 40s

there should be a pepes pizza in there instead of that shithole seafood place...deal fell through at the last second

didnt know he was a drug addict...knew the place was bleeding money though.

thought it had pretty good wintery food
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 am

I saw Michael Dukakis eating there once with his wife when I lived in the area like 8 years ago. Also saw him on the T a few times as I guess he was teaching a class at Northeastern.

Regarding seafood, if they're set on getting something of the variety, Row 34 is significantly better than Barking Crab and about a 5 minute walk from it. I don't think they do reservations (or if they do they're extremely limited) but it's a very solid restaurant.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:43 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:I saw Michael Dukakis eating there once with his wife when I lived in the area like 8 years ago. Also saw him on the T a few times as I guess he was teaching a class at Northeastern.

I once saw him at a Radio Shack asking for directions to the restaurant that was across the street.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 pm

Would echo Il Panino in the North End and Grill 23 for a fancy place (the kobe steak is among the best meals I've ever had). Good suggestions about Washington Sq. Devlins is a good one nearby on Washington St that also has good brunch. Jim's deli is also right there and was my favorite place by BC
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:55 pm

I can't get behind il panini being fancy. Christ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't get behind il panini being fancy. Christ.

I read that as “i agree il panini is a good place in the north end and grill 23 if you want a fancy place”. But re-reading it, your comprehension of the sentence seems more accurate from what is actually written. I tend to think my interpretation although not what he literally says, it is what he actually meant.

:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:42 pm

Mez, your mom would love Cathedral Station. It’s also one of Daz’s favorite spots. She can’t go wrong and its in a quiet area without tourists. Hope she has fun this weekend!
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 am

read it as grille 23 is fancy. il panino where you nearly have to walk past them cooking your pasta to use the bathroom is certainly not.

i prefer abe & louies but both both are on the same level imo
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:59 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:Mez, your mom would love Cathedral Station. It’s also one of Daz’s favorite spots. She can’t go wrong and its in a quiet area without tourists. Hope she has fun this weekend!

Good call Herb.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am

Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:Hoy Hing! I haven't thought about that name in almost 20 years. My stomach simultaneously applauded and cringed upon reading the name just now.

Hoy Hing was for that strange period between Dragon City closing and Lucky Wah opening. Lucky Wah would deliver cigarettes until 4am.

For a truly authentic and unique experience, mez' mom should go scorpion bowling at Hong Kong Club and then get in a fistfight with a stranger while the host takes cash bets from the other patrons. Too bad Babushka closed or she could bring some live carp to a tailgate.

EDIT:: ceterum censeo, prestos > pinos
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:12 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
Uptown Eagle {l Wrote}:Hoy Hing! I haven't thought about that name in almost 20 years. My stomach simultaneously applauded and cringed upon reading the name just now.

Hoy Hing was for that strange period between Dragon City closing and Lucky Wah opening. Lucky Wah would deliver cigarettes until 4am.

For a truly authentic and unique experience, mez' mom should go scorpion bowling at Hong Kong Club and then get in a fistfight with a stranger while the host takes cash bets from the other patrons. Too bad Babushka closed or she could bring some live carp to a tailgate.

Nothing beats throwing a live carp on the grill. Unfortunately for Mez's mother, Babusha is no more. She should have Che-Chi cater her tailgate.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

Nothing beats throwing a live carp on the grill. Unfortunately for Mez's mother, Babusha is no more. She should have Che-Chi cater her tailgate.

I assume mez' mom won't be asking chi-chi for bananas? Mez, keep your mom out of White Mountain Creamery - she doesn't want to be collateral damage if the angry chef finally takes his vengeance after the game.

783-BIRD
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

get the "suicide buffalo sauce" - it's not that hot
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:21 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

I freaking miss wing-it!!!!!

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

What was the nature of the bet you lost?

Large honey bbq plus mozzarella cheese sticks is what Zeus ate before he threw Cronos into Tartarus. Food of the gods. Why people ordered shit like Fast Eddie's when Wing It was available never made any sense to me.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 pm

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
783-BIRD

What was the nature of the bet you lost?

Large honey bbq plus mozzarella cheese sticks is what Zeus ate before he threw Cronos into Tartarus. Food of the gods. Why people ordered shit like Fast Eddie's when Wing It was available never made any sense to me.

i looked at their menu to remind myself to whether they called it suicide or nuclear. in doing so i see now that they also serve kababs and other non-wing/mozz stick related dishes. this was not the wing-it that i remember that served wings and maybe some soggy fries

fucking nerds

p.s. - the terrible order place in the latter part of my heights career was pizza etc - but only because you could charge it to the meal card. that was a very foreign concept in the early 90s, back when donna martin had to fight to graduate
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:45 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i looked at their menu to remind myself to whether they called it suicide or nuclear. in doing so i see now that they also serve kababs and other non-wing/mozz stick related dishes. this was not the wing-it that i remember that served wings and maybe some soggy fries

fucking nerds

p.s. - the terrible order place in the latter part of my heights career was pizza etc - but only because you could charge it to the meal card. that was a very foreign concept in the early 90s, back when donna martin had to fight to graduate

People who order kabobs from Wing It are probably also people who grew up in America but call it 'American football'. Vile.

During my high school 'visit for a weekend' thing the guy from my hs I went to visit ordered Dragon City for both of us while we were at an HOP party. We ate it on the stoop while the cops evacuated the party and we waited for whatever girl he was trying to hook up with to come out. She never exited. I wonder if she was ever seen again. This was well before the fire. Also was the only time I ever went there when the plumbing worked.

I'm really half dreading and half fascinated to go on college tours with my oldest in a few years.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Wing It would not deliver to my Mod after I threatened to kill Wing It over the telephone.

I was mad.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium