Official Gameday Thead - BC vs. Miami - 10/26/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC vs. Miami - 10/26/2018

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Without a doubt, this was the best win of the season. The defensive line played the best game of the year tonight, particularly on the inside with Ray Smith. The defensive tackles had the best game of their careers tonight. If that defense had shown up vs NC State and Purdue, BC is 8-0. This was also Addazio's best coached game of the season.

Now they can focus on vpi
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Assuming nc state doesn’t lose again (their schedule is very easy), can we still win the division? What’s the tiebreaker for us, clem and ncsu (if somehow we can beat clem)?
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby tallsy on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:39 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Assuming nc state doesn’t lose again (their schedule is very easy), can we still win the division? What’s the tiebreaker for us, clem and ncsu (if somehow we can beat clem)?

Three-Team (or More) Team Tie:
(Once a team is eliminated from the tie, the tie-breaker procedures restart for the remaining teams. If the three (or more) team tie can be reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format
will then be applied.)

1. Combined head-to-head win percentage among the tied teams.
2. Win percentage of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference win percentage, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last, using the league’s tie-breaker policies.
4. Combined win percentage versus all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Overall win percentage versus non-divisional opponents.
6. Win percentage versus common non-divisional opponents based upon their order of finish (overall win percentage) and proceeding through other common non-divisional opponents based upon their divisional order of finish.
7. The tied team with the higher ranking by the Team Rating Score metric provided by SportSource Analytics following the conclusion of regular season games.
8. The representative shall be chosen by a draw as administered by the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee.

My understanding is that under a hypothetical NC State, Clemson, BC tie the first 6 criteria would be irrelevant. I assume Clemson would get the highest Team Rating Score because they wouldn't have 2 losses and NC State won't have a win against a non-conference BCS team.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:03 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Seems like a lot of starter jacket wearing Miami fans in the crowd.
Can anyone at the game confirm or deny this?

Confirmed
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:20 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Assuming nc state doesn’t lose again (their schedule is very easy), can we still win the division? What’s the tiebreaker for us, clem and ncsu (if somehow we can beat clem)?

NCST could go up to Cuse and lose tomorrow night easily
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:03 am

Anyone still awake watching this World Series? I am. It's only 11PM in Phoenix.

This game is unbelievable.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:03 am

Good win. I was impressed with some of the offensive playcalling, where has that been all season? Good to see Brown make some plays with his legs for the first time this season.

BC football is fun.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:05 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Good win. I was impressed with some of the offensive playcalling, where has that been all season? Good to see Brown make some plays with his legs for the first time this season.

BC football is fun.

It is fun this year.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:32 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Denis and Glines both seemed to be MIA.

Denis was in uniform. Don’t recall him on the field during the game.

They are incredibly loaded on talent at DB (such a consistent strength since Daz has been here). Palmer was great yesterday. McDuffie looks the part of an NFL LB. Like to see him and Lamot get more time. Morais and Barlow are still raw but you can see how they could step in a play big minutes next year. Basically, you can see the next wave of talent on D developing at every position but DT.

Offensively, just a different team with Dillon... great player that also opens plays up for everyone else.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:Denis and Glines both seemed to be MIA.

Offensively, just a different team with Dillon... great player that also opens plays up for everyone else.

Felt like that was the best playcalling of any recent game taking advantage of Dillon and keeping the defense off balance. It's so apparent what he means to the offense when we at least scheme with some unpredictability. Too much dive, dive, obvious passing down has done us in in the past. Good playcalling last night by Loeffler, and pretty good execution by AB.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 am

Good win. I did not see the entire game as I was switching back and forth with the World Series. What impressed me the most was that the coaches finally opened up the playbook and allowed the team to win. There appeared to be an equal amount of pass vs run plays and they mixed in some strategic, well timed, trickeroo calls. They used the play action. They got Brown running just a bit. So they basically had a well balanced, well executed game plan.

The Brown bootleg around the left end for big gain was a great call. His scramble for a TD was also a big play. Brown needs to get this aspect of his game going. He is certainly no Michael Vick, but an occasional run will help round out his attack. He reminds me a little of Dak Prescott in that he is neither an elite passer nor a really fast runner, but when he incorporates both, he can be very effective.

d
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 am

Decent crowd last night. Alumni was pretty full but for the upper endzones which were empty. Fireworks were cool.
Students were solid.
Beer lines were long and ridiculously slow.
Z Allen was a beast. He absolutely dominated their RT.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:54 am

denis was on field for first half, not for 2nd. apparently he was nicked up coming in but didn't see anything during the game.

zach might not be best DE in bc history but he might be highest drafted, absolute monster against run and pass. he was also held on every other play before miami decided to double team him

the defensive back talent considering where bc was 10-15 years ago, amazing. looking at a stretch where we'll get a DB drafted 5 straight years.

crowd was good considering world series, students were pretty rowdy

edit: kobay wearing the hoodie is outstanding
Last edited by claver2010 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:03 am

Glines played
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:zach might not be best DE in bc history but he might be highest drafted, absolute monster against run and pass. he was also held on every other play before miami decided to double team him

No way he’s drafted higher than Mamula. He’s a first rounder and a great player. Mamula, Landry and Kiwi were all more dominant at their best. That said, he’s probably our best run-defending DE.

Speaking of best ever... I think Dillon has to be in the conversation for RB. While ATrain, ThisIsHowWeDoIt and Cloud were all great, Dillon has entered the discussion at William Green levels.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:zach might not be best DE in bc history but he might be highest drafted, absolute monster against run and pass. he was also held on every other play before miami decided to double team him

No way he’s drafted higher than Mamula. He’s a first rounder and a great player. Mamula, Landry and Kiwi were all more dominant at their best. That said, he’s probably our best run-defending DE.

Speaking of best ever... I think Dillon has to be in the conversation for RB. While ATrain, ThisIsHowWeDoIt and Cloud were all great, Dillon has entered the discussion at William Green levels.

Yeah I think this is true. Zach Allen might not be as gamebreaking as those guys, but he might be more of a headache for opposing teams with how big he is, and how good he is against the run.

AJ Dillon is certainly up there as a running back. He really does look like an NFL player playing in college, which puts him up there with Green, rather than the many really good college player running backs we've had over the years.

I think we played really well this game. I know Miami isn't all that great, but the defense finally played the way I think we were all hoping it would for the whole season, making big plays and keeping things in front of them. The offense executed well, and Brown made (mostly) good decisions. The playcalling was pretty good too. We used Miami's aggression against them and the misdirection and men in motion kept them honest. It really is too bad that AJ was hurt for the RCC game because I think we win easily if he was in there, but if this keeps up, then I think Clemson is the only game left that I wouldn't have complete confidence in.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

No way he’s drafted higher than Mamula. He’s a first rounder and a great player. Mamula, Landry and Kiwi were all more dominant at their best. That said, he’s probably our best run-defending DE. [/quote]

correct my oversight
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:45 pm

also for those on tv, was that targeting? i'm in that corner and it looked like it live. bc needs to show some urgency in that situation and get the snap off

from allen that made me chuckle: 'It’s easier to play football when you’re playing with your best friends, when you’re playing for the men to the left and right of you instead of playing for some turnover chain.'
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:also for those on tv, was that targeting? i'm in that corner and it looked like it live. bc needs to show some urgency in that situation and get the snap off

from allen that made me chuckle: 'It’s easier to play football when you’re playing with your best friends, when you’re playing for the men to the left and right of you instead of playing for some turnover chain.'

I didn't think it was targeting, it looked like it was just a bad angle of contact. Harris got the WR in the head, but it was with his chest and unavoidable because of the way the WR was falling.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I think I'm the only one who supported the troopers ending tailgates at game time under GDF. People are coming in at the second quarter and the place is 2/3 empty at kickoff. Just sad.

I've never been impressed with Rosier and the Miami team can't do anything with him at QB. They looked like junk and I think our defensive performance needs to be kept in perspective.

I'll give credit to Daz and Loefler for being more imaginative with the playbook. I know AB isn't Lamar Jackson, but BC's best chance to be successful and different from years past is to let Brown be a dual threat. They need more designed runs for AB to keep the defense honest. It's their only chance against Clemson. A few trick plays against Clemson won't cut it.

Ultimately, I'm not going to be fooled again by Daz. He is what he is. I wouldn't be surprised to see a letdown against VT and then a dominant Clemson team coming the following week could put a damper on things. VT is angry, BC is feeling good. Magical stadium. Enter Sandman. Daz has followed up other big red bandanna wins with clunkers against Colorado St. and NCSU.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Interesting comment was where Daz mentions twice that no one in the locker room is talking about 6 wins. Mentions the team is not satisfied and hungry for more but are still focusing on one game at a time as the Purdue game proves what can happen when you momentarily lose focus.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:19 pm

Anyone else see the Miami fan in full uniform (helmet, pads, cleats... )? WTF!

Who was it from the 93 team that threw the ball into the student section? It didn't look like Foley.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:25 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:15 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Anyone else see the Miami fan in full uniform (helmet, pads, cleats... )? WTF!

Who was it from the 93 team that threw the ball into the student section? It didn't look like Foley.

I could see that guy from the other side of the stadium. Miami has lots of loser/bandwagon fans. I also saw a Boston Police van after the game and it looked like a person inside was wearing orange and green.

As for the throw, I agree, that didn't look like Foley. My guess is Mark Hartsell.

And I spotted Mike Vrabel before the game.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Anyone else see the Miami fan in full uniform (helmet, pads, cleats... )? WTF!

I could see that guy from the other side of the stadium. Miami has lots of loser/bandwagon fans. I also saw a Boston Police van after the game and it looked like a person inside was wearing orange and green.

As for the throw, I agree, that didn't look like Foley. My guess is Mark Hartsell.

Yeah they mentioned during the broadcast that he was tailgating before going to the game.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:31 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Wasn't it Hasselbeck ?
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Wasn't it Hasselbeck ?

That was my first guess at the game because it looked like him, but then I thought he wasn't a freshman until '94. But I just looked him up and he graduated Xaverian in '93 so that means he was a true freshman in '93. Guess it was him.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:03 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Seems like a lot of starter jacket wearing Miami fans in the crowd.
Can anyone at the game confirm or deny this?

Confirmed. My area had some classless oafs. I kept dying to say something to the drunk guy in the Sean Taylor jersey with methy teeth, but I never like to start something with someone who has nothing to lose.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby tailgater94 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:27 am

There’re were some seriously douchy Miami fans in our section. Love the Zach Allen quote, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the turnover chain gimmick last year. I saw Denis walking with a noticeable limp coming off the field after the game.
tailgater94
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:03 am

eagle33
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium