Week 6 NCSt

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Week 5 NCSt

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The offense is too predictable. Give me a down, distance, formation, and tell me who the running back is and I can tell you if they're running or passing with probably better than 90% accuracy. Give me just the down and tell me if we're losing by less than 2 scores and I can still predict it with probably better than 80% accuracy. A halfway decent opposing coach is going to pick up on these things

Yes I am quite sure you totally guessed that touchdown pass TO Anthony Brown last Saturday.

That was the one play in the 10%. Doesn't make up for the 35 slow developing off tackle counters on third down.

Totally agree Teddy. No more sweeps. That isn't working.

The sweeps with Jet or Kobay are great. The sweeps with our 240 lb RB are incredibly dumb
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Week 6 NCSt

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:04 am

The sweeps aren't good. The off tackle misdirection counters are the worst
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:08 am

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:34 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The issue with Daz has been and always will be fundamentally he believes football should be played like it was in the Amos Alonzo Stagg days. Crack the rock, control the lines.

There is no QB development in this program. Every kid comes in and plays basically the same for their time at BC, if not regressing. And I don't see how you win college football games consistently without solid QB play. Even Purdue, I'm convinced we win that game with a good QB. Not great, good. The gameflow went completely haywire on both sides once Brown soiled himself. For all my problems with the Hen and Deep Sea Dana, there was a lot of QB development there - interestingly it was the Handsome one who improved the least, but Ryan, the Hasselbecks, Mutryn, Saint, they all improved significantly under that coaching staff.

Our guys don't get better, and I really believe it's because they get better coaching in high school than at BC. Realistically the only model of QB that could work under Daz would be the PP model, a guy who can improvise and process whats going on in front of him instinctively, because they sure aren't going to coach it or playcall to help him.

Largely agree. But, I don't know how to rectify a lack of QB development with Loeffler's reputation as a stellar QB coach (or HCRD's reputation as the savior of tOSU football). Daz's cracking-the-rock philosophy may hinder a QB's ability to show off his schools. But, the lack of development is not on said philosophy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Any news on Dillon and Smith playing?

I think Dal's next media availability is tmrw.
Don't think we will know anything before then.

Dillon a gametime decision.

Whether he can go or not, there is no effing way that you release that info prior to the game. Colton will be kicking... Smith practiced and should be back. Dillon only one held back, but "is looking good."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Any news on Dillon and Smith pla[youtube]y[/youtube]ing?

Whether he can go or not, there is no effing way that you release that info prior to the game. Colton will be kicking... Smith practiced and should be back. Dillon only one held back, but "is looking good."

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Dillon was trying to loosen up on the sideline to play last weekend. Not saying he could have gone, but I would be surprised if he didn't play the way he was jogging on it with his shoe off after it occurred. Suppose it could have blown up after the game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I’d be pretty nervous rolling him out there on a bad wheel.

BC will get crushed without him or if he’s limited
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I’d be pretty nervous rolling him out there on a bad wheel.

BC will get crushed without him or if he’s limited

If he can't go, perhaps the staff won't be so lazy and predictable with their gameplan. (I just cracked myself up with that one)
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The issue with Daz has been and always will be fundamentally he believes football should be played like it was in the Amos Alonzo Stagg days. Crack the rock, control the lines.

There is no QB development in this program. Every kid comes in and plays basically the same for their time at BC, if not regressing. And I don't see how you win college football games consistently without solid QB play. Even Purdue, I'm convinced we win that game with a good QB. Not great, good. The gameflow went completely haywire on both sides once Brown soiled himself. For all my problems with the Hen and Deep Sea Dana, there was a lot of QB development there - interestingly it was the Handsome one who improved the least, but Ryan, the Hasselbecks, Mutryn, Saint, they all improved significantly under that coaching staff.

Our guys don't get better, and I really believe it's because they get better coaching in high school than at BC. Realistically the only model of QB that could work under Daz would be the PP model, a guy who can improvise and process whats going on in front of him instinctively, because they sure aren't going to coach it or playcall to help him.

Largely agree. But, I don't know how to rectify a lack of QB development with Loeffler's reputation as a stellar QB coach (or HCRD's reputation as the savior of tOSU football). Daz's cracking-the-rock philosophy may hinder a QB's ability to show off his schools. But, the lack of development is not on said philosophy.

I understand this. But I am really thinking this through - has any skill position offensive player under Daz gotten better as he developed? Hilliman went backwards, no WR really has done much. Tommy Sweeney I guess? None of the QB...Im genuinely curious about this - why don't these kids get better as they are presumably coached at a higher level with more access to film, weights, coaching, etc? Is the playcalling so bad that they are getting better but we can't tell?

If you look at every good/decent offensive performer under Daz, their best year was year 1 - Williams, Rettig, Hilliman, Murphy, Towles, K White so far, except Sweeney. He seems to have improved. Everyone else goes backward or at best stays the same. It's weird.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I understand this. But I am really thinking this through - has any skill position offensive player under Daz gotten better as he developed? Hilliman went backwards, no WR really has done much. Tommy Sweeney I guess? None of the QB...Im genuinely curious about this - why don't these kids get better as they are presumably coached at a higher level with more access to film, weights, coaching, etc? Is the playcalling so bad that they are getting better but we can't tell?

If you look at every good/decent offensive performer under Daz, their best year was year 1 - Williams, Rettig, Hilliman, Murphy, Towles, K White so far, except Sweeney. He seems to have improved. Everyone else goes backward or at best stays the same. It's weird.

Well... Williams, Rettig, Murphy and Towles were all under Daz for a single year. Each performed at levels much higher than their previous 3 seasons. From that perspective, it could be argued that Daz's staff greatly improved each.

However, you are talking about players succeeding year over year within the regime. I'd argue that Jeff Smith has become a better route runner. I think his hands are still suspect, but he seems to have improved year-over-year in finding holes in the D. Kobay White blew onto the scene last year. But, that wasn't his first in the program. I assume that he improved a lot his freshman year. I think we saw more out of Ben Glines the other day than anyone ever thought. Ultimately, however, there aren't many position players that to sample size. Hilliman regressed, but that was largely due to being unable to overcome his serious injury (kid was never the same).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 pm

I actually think these guys do a great job developing athletes all over the roster, especially in the defensive backfield. QB remains the obvious problem. Look, they played poorly for a few games, I get it, but I don't think that's because Jeff Smith and AJ Dillon regressed. They have underperformed on the lines and that's fixable.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually think these guys do a great job developing athletes all over the roster, especially in the defensive backfield. QB remains the obvious problem. Look, they played poorly for a few games, I get it, but I don't think that's because Jeff Smith and AJ Dillon regressed. They have underperformed on the lines and that's fixable by a coach that knows what he's doing. This team might pretty much be screwed, though.

fixed
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium