Official Gameday Thead - BC vs. Temple - 9/29/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thead - BC vs. Temple - 9/29/2018

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:The best part of the game was Longman taking over.

That was a long and painful game but the BC fans who left early are pathetic, yet not surprising. Even the Temple fans had more enthusiasm than the home crowd.

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:56 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Yeah, they won. BFD. Initial thoughts (watching that whole game from beginning to end)

• This is not a very good BC team. BC's players are just not any better than Temple's players no matter what we have bene irrationally wanting to believe
  • Temple outplayed BC today. Temple controlled the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense
  • The ONLY reason BC won, is because BC made more BIG PLAYS than Temple did (3 more BIG PLAYS in fact) and Temple had way too many penalties
  • The players have no reason to be happy about today (offense couldn't stay on the field, defense couldn't get off the field)

BC's high water mark (for this season) will be 8-4. That is the best they can do. They can not beat Clemson, Syracuse, or Miami. They can't. It's impossible. If they get super lucky against VPI and NCState (get more "big plays" than those teams) then maybe they win those games, and that is assuming that AJ Dillon is at least 90% next week. What is likely to happen is they split those two games and they wind up with yet another 7-5 season.

Based on what I've seen, 7- 5 is where I would peg them after all is said and done. Loses to: VT Miami, Clemson, and Syracuse.
NC St. a tossup; Wins over FSU and Louisville.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That was a long and painful game but the BC fans who left early are pathetic, yet not surprising. Even the Temple fans had more enthusiasm than the home crowd.

This.

Daz in his postgame comments mentioned this as well (about Longman).
Also mentioned that Jeff Smith apparently left the game at some point due to injury.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:52 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Yeah, they won. BFD. Initial thoughts (watching that whole game from beginning to end)

• This is not a very good BC team. BC's players are just not any better than Temple's players no matter what we have bene irrationally wanting to believe
  • Temple outplayed BC today. Temple controlled the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense
  • The ONLY reason BC won, is because BC made more BIG PLAYS than Temple did (3 more BIG PLAYS in fact) and Temple had way too many penalties
  • The players have no reason to be happy about today (offense couldn't stay on the field, defense couldn't get off the field)

BC's high water mark (for this season) will be 8-4. That is the best they can do. They can not beat Clemson, Syracuse, or Miami. They can't. It's impossible. If they get super lucky against VPI and NCState (get more "big plays" than those teams) then maybe they win those games, and that is assuming that AJ Dillon is at least 90% next week. What is likely to happen is they split those two games and they wind up with yet another 7-5 season.

Based on what I've seen, 7- 5 is where I would peg them after all is said and done. Loses to: VT Miami, Clemson, and Syracuse.
NC St. a tossup; Wins over FSU and Louisville.

Agreed.

Its looking more and more like 7-5. I thought after the Purdue disaster this team would show us something today on their ability to get the defense off the field. That hasn't happened (now three games in a row.) They are just not controlling the line of scrimmage, pure and simple. When the holes are there, AJ is gone into the end zone on a 50 yard run. But they are very rarely there. Opponents are just swarming to the ball too quickly for this team, for whatever reason.

7-5 sounds about right. There is always next year. :shrug
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This.

Daz in his postgame comments mentioned this as well (about Longman).
Also mentioned that Jeff Smith apparently left the game at some point due to injury.

That was one or two plays after AJ got hurt.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 pm

AJ had 25 carries in the first half and BC went right back to him in the second half. Predictable play calling and overuse can lead to injuries...

But Glines did hit the hole nicely once he came in.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Keep tempo. Call better plays

How many true power running teams run high tempo? No sarcasm - I simply can’t think of any.

The better plays part subsumes getting rid of the dumb fucking formations.

Those sweep plays should be burned
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:

How many true power running teams run high tempo? No sarcasm - I simply can’t think of any.

Yes. They should be.

They are just not fast enough to the edge. Stop the sweeps. BC really needs to just run the ball up the middle and allow Brown to audible out of that inside play to dump it off to Sweeney if the opponent sticks 9 in the box (the way Wake, Purdue, and Temple did for much of all three games.) I don't think Daz lets him audible.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:

Yes. They should be.

They are just not fast enough to the edge. Stop the sweeps. BC really needs to just run the ball up the middle and allow Brown to audible out of that inside play to dump it off to Sweeney if the opponent sticks 9 in the box (the way Wake, Purdue, and Temple did for much of all three games.) I don't think Daz lets him audible.

This is dumb. Don't run sweeps with Dillon. The line is not fast enough. Smith is. You should STFU about football you sound like an idiot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:

Yes. They should be.

This is dumb. Don't run sweeps with Dillon. The line is not fast enough. Smith is. You should STFU about football you sound like an idiot.

I don't sound like anything when I type. You just proved you ARE an idiot, Mr lazy.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ricosuave on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ricosuave {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ricosuave {l Wrote}:Can we move Petrula back to center now? A hold on Baker then on 2nd down he loses his man and it flushes Brown.

So who plays RT?

Lindstrom back to RT.

Where his pass blocking was terrible.

This

He created some big holes for Glines today at RG.

I guess that's true. Pass blocking has been mostly good this year. Not sure what else can be done about the run blocking.
ricosuave
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:00 pm

Today was the worst possible outcome. We won and yet look terrible and are on the way to another mediocre 7-6 record. Ergo, we continue to be stuck with the Dazzler and continue to suck. Better to have lost, take a 5-7 and move on to a coach that actually can make decent game day decisions.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:14 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Today was the worst possible outcome. We won and yet look terrible and are on the way to another mediocre 7-6 record. Ergo, we continue to be stuck with the Dazzler and continue to suck. Better to have lost, take a 5-7 and move on to a coach that actually can make decent game day decisions.

I don't think it matters dick. I doubt that Jarmond is empowered to let Daz go. I don't think the Board of Trusties are going to allow him to do that what with the Spaz fiasco. About the only thing we can hope for is that Daz does not get another contract extension. Hopefully Jarmond will just focus on raising money for the school, spending that on nicer facilities, and refuse to give Addazio the time of day. Then after the 2020 season, that will be it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:It’s pretty impressive how bad the defense is with this many future nfl draft picks on the roster.

if you don’t trust the greatest defense of all time, you’re a pussy

next you’re going to say Anthony brown might not be good at quarterbackmanship
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
NEUBCfan {l Wrote}:

Yes. They should be.

I don't sound like anything when I type. You just proved you ARE an idiot, Mr lazy.

My bad, you look like an idiot.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby yurch10 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:19 am

Some real gems this thread. Came here to get game breakdowns and most I see is twballgame saying "this" or other dumb insults.

Awesome.

Seems the sense is that 7-5 will let Daz keep his job? Any feeling we can drop this guy? He had me roped in the first few weeks, even excited to watch the Purdue game. With that and a pathetic showing this week, the emperor has no clothes again. Hopefully a couple "impressive" victories against HC and UMass won't save him.
yurch10
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:46 am

yurch10 {l Wrote}:Some real gems this thread. Came here to get game breakdowns and most I see is twballgame saying "this" or other dumb insults.

Awesome.

Seems the sense is that 7-5 will let Daz keep his job? Any feeling we can drop this guy? He had me roped in the first few weeks, even excited to watch the Purdue game. With that and a pathetic showing this week, the emperor has no clothes again. Hopefully a couple "impressive" victories against HC and UMass won't save him.

This.

But no, in all seriousness he's not losing his job if he gets 2 more wins unfortunately. And there wasnt much in yesterday's steaming dump that was worthy of breakdown. Other than BCs defense, which broke down frequently.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:06 am

i loved him talking about the tough ooc in the presser, it was a lie so egregious that he even needed to correct himself
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i loved him talking about the tough ooc in the presser, it was a lie so egregious that he even needed to correct himself

in fairness, t.s. Slaughter made the ooc seem tough
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:08 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:The Interior of this D-line is awful.

Daz has said that Ray Smith will be playing in the NFL, not something has had thrown around lightly. That said, the D has been atrocious.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:The Interior of this D-line is awful.

Daz has said that Ray Smith will be playing in the NFL, not something has had thrown around lightly. That said, the D has been atrocious.

105 plays vs Wake Forest, that was really all on them not getting the job done on 4th down (over and over again.) The D gets 4 or 5 huge plays a game (and those 4 or 5 "Big Plays" are sacks for 10 or more yards lost, fumble recoveries, or now the quite common interception.) They get those and that is the way they "stop a drive." They can't seem to "stop a drive" any other way. This defense does not appear to have the capacity to get off the field on its own athletic effectiveness without the assist from the "Big Play." Relying on the "Big Play" as the solution to stop the offense is a recipe for disaster (and giving up 4 touchdowns each to teams like Wake Forest and Temple.) If BC beats NC State, they are going to have to score more than 40 points. Its possible, but I give them about a 30% chance of that happening.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 pm

yurch10 {l Wrote}:Some real gems this thread. Came here to get game breakdowns and most I see is twballgame saying "this" or other dumb insults.

Awesome.

Its Teddy's way. He is not a serious person. That said, I don't think the Board of Trusties are going to allow Jarmond to pull the trigger on Daz. I get the sense that cutting TWO checks to TWO different head coaches (only one of which is working) is a non-starter after Spaz. So really, if Addazio wants to save his job (after the 2020 season) I think Jarmond is expecting at least ONE Orange Bowl appearance over the next three seasons (this one included.) Brown and Dillon are both here probably until 2020. When you get right down to it, Addazio continuing his "career" here at BC is predicated almost entirely based on the effectiveness of this team's group of Sophomores. Their play on the field (the next 34 games) may decide his fate.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am

Awesome.

The good news is that this thread is better than its equivalent on the other BC boards, where the postgame content will include unintelligible one-liners or a recap of ice cream flavors from doddering pantloads with tycoon money foisted from the pockets of the third world in wholly exploitave fashion, while an angry tattoo'ed man in a chef's hat plots fratricide while sharpening knives in the background.

The best thing is to adjust your expectations and that way you won't be surprised when the postgame thread references transitive relationships centered around tectonically-shifted orifices, smashed drywall, fat girls with beautiful eyes, and the preferred color aesthetics of misogynists' kidney medications.

History - specifically with Leahy and the BOT - suggests that its impossible to "fire a winning coach". Since none of them watch the games, they will note 7-5 as winning, without the asterisks that any fan would attach to those "wins". As we know, those seven wins may technically be wins, but they are not victories. They're more like "not losses". But to fire our imbecile coach, Jarmond risks spending all his capital on one move that he may not be able to pull off.

If Jarmond was able to, I would actually trust him that much more to hire the next coach. I hope he does. But we are probably stuck with daz for another two years. Bringing this thread back around, you can see why a postgame thread might wander off topic - covering two more years' worth of this stooge's games is pretty much the most awful thing you can think of, its like if you want something to read and you go to the library and every single book there is The Bell Jar.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:

Awesome.

The good news is that this thread is better than its equivalent on the other BC boards, where the postgame content will include unintelligible one-liners or a recap of ice cream flavors from doddering pantloads with tycoon money foisted from the pockets of the third world in wholly exploitave fashion, while an angry tattoo'ed man in a chef's hat plots fratricide while sharpening knives in the background.

The best thing is to adjust your expectations and that way you won't be surprised when the postgame thread references transitive relationships centered around tectonically-shifted orifices, smashed drywall, fat girls with beautiful eyes, and the preferred color aesthetics of misogynists' kidney medications.

History - specifically with Leahy and the BOT - suggests that its impossible to "fire a winning coach". Since none of them watch the games, they will note 7-5 as winning, without the asterisks that any fan would attach to those "wins". As we know, those seven wins may technically be wins, but they are not victories. They're more like "not losses". But to fire our imbecile coach, Jarmond risks spending all his capital on one move that he may not be able to pull off.

If Jarmond was able to, I would actually trust him that much more to hire the next coach. I hope he does. But we are probably stuck with daz for another two years. Bringing this thread back around, you can see why a postgame thread might wander off topic - covering two more years' worth of this stooge's games is pretty much the most awful thing you can think of, its like if you want something to read and you go to the library and every single book there is The Bell Jar.

This.

Barring Dillon/Brown being done for the season, I don't think Daz survives a 7-win season. Jarmond has some leeway to run the athletic program and Daz's contract has entering into the renew-or-fire world. I will say that this isn't a great year to be searching for a coach. First, our recruiting class is among the best we've had (and I don't think it survives a coaching change). Second, I think there will be a number of mid-level Big5 programs looking for talent this year (with whom we have no chance to compete with for a coach due to finances). Third, BC firing Dazoo after making bowl games 5 of his 6 years will not play well in the coaching community or in the media.

Folks like to complain about play-calling because Madden made everyone an expert on that front. But, the most disappointing part of this team is the D. There a ton of NFL prospects on that side of the ball. And, we can come up with a stop. I know they rewarded Campanile with a co-DC title. I'd like for him to take full control of the D... because Reid has been disappointing (and seems to be propped up by Camp and PP).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:55 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:It’s pretty impressive how bad the defense is with this many future nfl draft picks on the roster.

if you don’t trust the greatest defense of all time, you’re a pussy

next you’re going to say Anthony brown might not be good at quarterbackmanship

Oh.

Anthony Brown is a elite quarterback.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:59 am

the d hasnt been the same since don brown left

the number of players getting to the nfl points to it being a coaching problem. LBs in particular are struggling given talent and depth
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ricosuave on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:the d hasnt been the same since don brown left

the number of players getting to the nfl points to it being a coaching problem. LBs in particular are struggling given talent and depth

Brown pretty much played exclusively tight man-to-man coverage and blitzed the hell out of everybody. As soon as he left Daz started talking about playing more zone, and to me it seems like there's a lot more of that going on these days--it may have led to some more INTs, especially for Denis last year, but I'm not sure it's a net positive.
ricosuave
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am

yurch10 {l Wrote}:Some real gems this thread.

We're the Sierra Leone of BC message boards.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:16 am

The problem is not that they play some zone, although I agree this team is more suited to play man with the pass rush they have. The problem is that they can't stop the run, which is perplexing. At the risk of HJS accusing me of playing Madden, given the ability on the edge with the two pass rushers who also do a good job setting the edge, I'd like to see some more A gap blitzes to support the defensive tackles on early downs. Strachan would be the likely candidate, and then get the speedier linebackers like Lamot and Richardson on the field to make sure they can cover. Or go with a third safety. I thought corner would be the question mark, and it's been sketchy on one side, but the people that said DT was the big question mark (other than QB) nailed it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:17 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:Some real gems this thread.

We're the Sierra Leone of BC message boards.

Port Royale
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium