2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Postby BC923 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:41 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:What about Matt Campbell from Iowa State? He's beaten three ranked teams in two years and Iowa State was 8-5 last year. Not a sexy hire. Daz is gone if he tops out at six this year. 2019 is shaping up to be a Daz excuse year because of all of the starters he'll have to replace. The young excuse will be back in fashion in 2019 and it will be more along the lines of being young in experience.

Not bad, but might be a weird move from ISU to BC. Jason Candle might be the more realistic guy off of that tree. Has done really well at Toledo the past few years, and clearly knows how to get it done on offense. If we have to get a MAC coach, we could do worse than him
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Spitavak, the OC at West Virginia, deserves consideration and he fits the white ethnic requirement.

I know that BC never does retreads, but I think all of Bert Bielema, Sonny Dykes, Butch Jones, and Charlie Strong could succeed here despite flaming out elsewhere.

But my first choices are Brown and Candle.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:37 am

Satterfield at App State has done a good job too, but there's no connection at all
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am

Jarmond’s guys have spent the last 6 months saying this is a make-or-break year for Daz. They’ve actually seemed more questioning of football than our terrible BB program. Marty has often talked about needing to constantly improve because standing still can sink a program as much as anything.

Based on that, I think 6-6 ends Daz’s time at BC and they’ll go interim coach for the bowl game. I think 7-6 (ie losing a bowl) likely ends it as well. That said, Dillon is the only player he could’ve lost to asterisk that prediction.

With losses to Purdue and NCS already on the tape as we enter the meat of the schedule, every week will be deciding his fate.

This isn’t a great year to be searching for a coach. While I trust Jarmond more than previous ADs to make a not-purposely-terrible choice, there aren’t any obvious candidates. While that means we won’t be gutted as a fan base for passing on what-we-all-are-convinced-should-be-a-sure-thing, it also means we’ll be underwhelmed by the choice.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Jarmond’s guys have spent the last 6 months saying this is a make-or-break year for Daz. They’ve actually seemed more questioning of football than our terrible BB program. Marty has often talked about needing to constantly improve because standing still can sink a program as much as anything.

Based on that, I think 6-6 ends Daz’s time at BC and they’ll go interim coach for the bowl game. I think 7-6 (ie losing a bowl) likely ends it as well. That said, Dillon is the only player he could’ve lost to asterisk that prediction.

With losses to Purdue and NCS already on the tape as we enter the meat of the schedule, every week will be deciding his fate.

This isn’t a great year to be searching for a coach. While I trust Jarmond more than previous ADs to make a not-purposely-terrible choice, there aren’t any obvious candidates. While that means we won’t be gutted as a fan base for passing on what-we-all-are-convinced-should-be-a-sure-thing, it also means we’ll be underwhelmed by the choice.

I think Jarmond would rather sort out football first, and then worry about basketball, which is a defensible position in that football will always bring in more fans and get more attention than basketball, and you can maybe hope to use a decent football team to get people interested in basketball. Ideally you'd start sorting both out at once, but fixing football first is probably the better choice.

The lack of an obvious choice doesn't bother me so much. It allows Jarmond to go out and make a hire he believes in, for better or worse. But all else equal a coach and an AD on the same page is a good thing to have. I do agree that Daz is on a hotter seat than anyone not paying close attention realizes, and I don't really believe he's capable of working himself out of the jam. By not beating Purdue, Daz really kneecapped himself. Can he get two wins out of FSU/Louisville/Syracuse? Maybe, but I think even that could be stretch, especially if AJ is nursing an injury for most of the season. I would hope 7-6 gets him fired, and anything worse definitely would, and I imagine Jarmond knows this, and is putting together a list now.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 am

I have a hard time believing Daz gets fired if he qualifies for a bowl. I think 5-7 or worse would do it. But at this point, that would require a significant collapse given the mediocrity of the remaining opponents, with the exception of Clemson. If he loses this week to Louisville, then the odds of him getting fired go way up. I just don't see that happening. At least Saturday will be a win-win in that sense. My prediction is that he will be back for 2019 and it will be his last as the defense will be even worse with all of the key departures.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Jarmond’s guys have spent the last 6 months saying this is a make-or-break year for Daz. They’ve actually seemed more questioning of football than our terrible BB program. Marty has often talked about needing to constantly improve because standing still can sink a program as much as anything.

I think Jarmond would rather sort out football first, and then worry about basketball, which is a defensible position in that football will always bring in more fans and get more attention than basketball, and you can maybe hope to use a decent football team to get people interested in basketball. Ideally you'd start sorting both out at once, but fixing football first is probably the better choice.

also we're arguably the worst basketball job in a historically outstanding conference.

in football, being 3rd in the division with the occasional shot at clem / fsu in a down year (which is what makes this year so frustrating) is completely reasonable
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:29 am

I’m fairly certain there will be no move made this year, just because of contract buyouts (and the cash the university shells out for scholarships). I think leaky could swallow one year of paying a guy that isn’t here, but won’t eat two.

it will be interesting to see if slaughter catches on anywhere after his shit show. I expect him to deliver a thin skinned masterpiece when he is eventually shitcanned which will actively torch all bridges and salt all fields potentially available to him

it kills me because I hate him so very much

I also expect him to moral victory against Clemson. We’ll lose the game, but it will be close until late. The result will confuse the fanbase
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:53 am

Agree with Militant and TRE that a bowl game gets him another year.

Maybe if the President was more committed to winning it might be different, but Daz is like the perfect coach for Leahy. Don't see him signing off on a change if he's making a bowl. And honestly, I'm not sure I want a change if it's going to be some shitty coach which deep down we all know it will be. You ruin your recruiting for a year (just when it's starting to get better), you lose players to transfers, etc. You basically set the program back a couple of years unless you hire a game changer (Meyer, Saban, etc.) which will never happen.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:02 am

I actually fired off a drunken " Fire Daz" email to the AD email address (which I regrettably believe is a pathetic thing to do) but did receive a response supposedly from Jarmond himself. It basically read that the team is 4-1, so don't complain. Not sure if it was really him responding, and not sure he believes the smoke he was trying to blow up my ass.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:47 am

I agree with TRE, I don't believe the BOD wants to eat two years of a contract, but maybe they would go for one year. This is why i don't believe he gets fired this year even if he wins just four games, but he does get removed after next season.

There is a need to make not only a coaching change, but to create a whole new approach. We do not need some mediocre retread. A younger, proven winner at a lesser conference with a whole different coaching philosophy is needed. We cannot compete with the bigger programs in attracting a plethora of big time recruits in order to rely on playing smash mouth football. We need a quarterback oriented, pass oriented, finesse offense. Historically, QB has been a position of considerable recruiting success. A Pro style QB will find BC an attractive option if they are convinced that BC is committed to a passing offense. The Taj Boyds of this world will never come to BC.

Paul Peterson just started as head coach at Snow this year. It will be interesting to see how he does. If Daz gets fired after 2019, he would have two years under his belt.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:55 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
Paul Peterson just started as head coach at Snow this year. It will be interesting to see how he does. If Daz gets fired after 2019, he would have two years under his belt.

He'd need to come in and be an OC or something first, but his team definitely knows how to score. 4/5 games at 56+ points https://snowbadgers.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:27 pm

If we fire Daz this year, we can use AJ Dillon as an enticement to new coaches
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I’m fairly certain there will be no move made this year, just because of contract buyouts (and the cash the university shells out for scholarships). I think leaky could swallow one year of paying a guy that isn’t here, but won’t eat two.

it will be interesting to see if slaughter catches on anywhere after his shit show. I expect him to deliver a thin skinned masterpiece when he is eventually shitcanned which will actively torch all bridges and salt all fields potentially available to him

First... his contract situation is precisely what is bringing things to a head. Jarmond is well-aware that you kneecap the program bringing back a head coach entering the end of his contract. Can’t retain or attract assistants. Can’t recruit. This year is Daz auditioning for an extension. If he isn’t getting one, you’ve decided to make a move.

Second... Daz will be getting Donnie Brown-like money as Recruiting Coordinator/Run-Game Coordinator/OL coach. He will likely have a long list of big’un offers. I think he’ll do better at that and he’ll probably enjoy that more than being a mid-major HC again.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I’m fairly certain there will be no move made this year, just because of contract buyouts (and the cash the university shells out for scholarships). I think leaky could swallow one year of paying a guy that isn’t here, but won’t eat two.

First... his contract situation is precisely what is bringing things to a head. Jarmond is well-aware that you kneecap the program bringing back a head coach entering the end of his contract. Can’t retain or attract assistants. Can’t recruit. This year is Daz auditioning for an extension. If he isn’t getting one, you’ve decided to make a move.

Second... Daz will be getting Donnie Brown-like money as Recruiting Coordinator/Run-Game Coordinator/OL coach. He will likely have a long list of big’un offers. I think he’ll do better at that and he’ll probably enjoy that more than being a mid-major HC again.

I would love it if someone (anyone) gives Daz big money to work as an assistant for a baby rapist. Then he will be THEIR problem, not ours. I just don't see that happening.

Addazio's contract ends at the close of the 2020 season. The sophomores on this team will (most likely) still be on this team for Daz's last year of his contract. Which are the ones that are making a difference this year?

• AJ Dillon
  • Anthony Brown
  • Kobay White
  • Ben Patrula
  • John Lamot

That list of sophomores will gradually increase as the season progresses and Daz has to dip deeper and deeper into the depth of the team as players get dinged up. That happens every year. But I think also gives us a clear vision of the most obvious players who are going to produce (over the next couple years) to save Daz's ass with BC. Two things are certain:

#1) Daz has a contract and the BOT is loathe to terminate him and pay for two coaches if they can help it and
#2) 3 more consecutive years of 7-6 seasons, Jarmond will not be extending the contract.

I hope guys are right and either he will be fired OR he will get a better offer and quit. But I think we may have to get used to the idea that he will be here for all AJ Dillon's career.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Jarmond is not firing Addazio unless we really stink. As long as Jarmond can raise money, Addazio is safe.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

MJ set the standard that the football team has to be top 25. There is no excuse in year 6 with this team and an especially weak ACC for BC to not reach that goal by the end of the season. I don’t see how 4-5 million in a buyout is prohibitive for a school that just announced a 150 million dollar athletic fundraising campaign. What is BOB is available and actually wants the job? We had a top 10 defense under Don Brown and he is available.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:MJ set the standard that the football team has to be top 25. There is no excuse in year 6 with this team and an especially weak ACC for BC to not reach that goal by the end of the season. I don’t see how 4-5 million in a buyout is prohibitive for a school that just announced a 150 million dollar athletic fundraising campaign. What is BOB is available and actually wants the job? We had a top 10 defense under Don Brown and he is available.

Not this Don Brown shit again!
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm

BC will never be good unless the coach is aggressive and ballsy and given some rope
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:31 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is not firing Addazio unless we really stink. As long as Jarmond can raise money, Addazio is safe.

this just in... we really stink
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is not firing Addazio unless we really stink. As long as Jarmond can raise money, Addazio is safe.

When Loeffler decides to expand from the Tecmo Bowl playbook (see final 20 mins of Saturday’s game), we are a decent team. Still think we win 6+ games as long as Daz & co. don’t fuck up this weekends game.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

When Loeffler decides to expand from the Tecmo Bowl playbook (see final 20 mins of Saturday’s game), we are a decent team. Still think we win 6+ games as long as Daz & co. don’t fuck up this weekends game.

We will beat papa john and fsu. That is all
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

fsu might be in full quit mode but daz on the road might be the great equalizer
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 am

not that we'd swim in the same pond as louisville community college but bobby's buyout of $14 MM is apparently too much for board to pull trigger on. might need another motorcycle ride
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:MJ set the standard that the football team has to be top 25. There is no excuse in year 6 with this team and an especially weak ACC for BC to not reach that goal by the end of the season. I don’t see how 4-5 million in a buyout is prohibitive for a school that just announced a 150 million dollar athletic fundraising campaign. What is BOB is available and actually wants the job? We had a top 10 defense under Don Brown and he is available.

Not this Don Brown shit again!

This HC Candidate thread was, is, and forever will be just another rehash...some names change with time but the quality of speculations never changes.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:This HC Candidate thread was, is, and forever will be just another rehash...some names change with time but the quality of speculations never changes.

There is a “we are what we are” comment somewhere here.

Ultimately, it is something that everyone should remember. The only thing certain about the next coach is that his announcement will be somewhere on the scale between underwhelming and disappointing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:56 pm

For the record, the Brown I was referring to was Neal.

I'm not certain that Jarmond can raise money on a 7-5. Part of his success thus far has been on the promise that this team would be competitive against everyone except possibly Clemson. And this might be the year to do it, I don't see a lot of competition (although there are always a couple surprises).
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:55 pm

Neal Brown is another good candidate, but will ZooMsss steal him away in 3 years? It would be a great ending to the UMass program if NB were a long term highly successful BC HC. Is there any doubt that NB would be better than Daz? Why wait another year if Daz goes 7-5 again?
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 am

I'm kinda done with this fake poster. But, I will point out (for those who like to laugh at Umess) that the finalists for that job last time around were Whipple and Neal Brown... and we all know who they chose.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 am

he's not a "fake poster," he is a hologram of tupac performing on filled in corners

he also sucks less than the soccer/mma guy that is singlehandedly ruining threads in just about every forum
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium