2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Maybe with all the bad press, we should tone down the Catholicism a touch.

it’s cool. the recruits will all be 18 by the time they get to campus and therefore totally safe
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Just someone who has comfort and understanding of how much Catholicism is interwoven into BC football.

I find it interesting that you think this is more than lip service for most people involved in BC football. But if it is not lip service, I understand why players and coaches don't come here. It's dumb.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Maybe with all the bad press, we should tone down the Catholicism a touch.

it’s cool. the recruits will all be 18 by the time they get to campus and therefore totally safe

You can't make it through the recruiting process without learning how to dodge pederasts. A few boy lovers in collars shouldn't faze these guys.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 am

If kids are being forced to attend a weekday mass, that should stop immediately. And I say this as someone who is still a regular mass attendee. I had always assumed the gameday mass was more of a prayer session.

No one cares about the Jesuit who gets to go to away games.

I am still highly skeptical that anyone would pass on a Power 5 job because of religion. Maybe one guy who also wouldn't go to Wake, Duke, or Arizona St. because of the mascot. When BYU opens up, Evangelicals will be lining up for that job.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:54 am

Didn't stop Herm

flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is a fundraiser who worked the Midwest and is from NC. He knows the ACC and although he had never worked private schools or the Northeast, he certainly seemed to get BC. Lots of the guys you mentioned are from schools with no similar geography for recruiting and have never recruited for schools with any admission standards. Also the Catholic issue is a bigger deal than you probably realize for some of these Evangelical coaches. That's what I mean by fit. We can grab a coach from a random school from outside the region - like Logan would have been from ECU - but the guy better be an x and os guy who is Catholic, not just some yokel who slips cash to random juco players.

College football is too big of a business for all involved for any of this backwater shit to be true.

So all this money is changing hands in basketball but it is not in Football? The car dealer recording Cam Newton's dad trolling for tens of thousands was just a one time thing?

Wait, what? I stopped listening to you a few years ago but this doesn't sound like you are supporting your own argument.

When you said backwater shit to be true, I thought you were referencing my comment that recruiting (cash handshakes and bribes) at many of these schools from HJS's list (like App State or Memphis) is very different from BC. (Not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen at BC, just that it is less blatant.) Also places like Memphis can take anybody (like this guy who couldn't read https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/dasmine-cathey) and that doesn't happen at BC. That would be an adjustment for some of these HJS list coaches.

As for the catholic thing, is it mandatory and are players forced into it? No. But it is present and part of it. Plus the northern and Boston aspect do speak to fit for guys on HJS's list.

I know half of the stuff BC says about itself is bullshit (players are smarter, work harder, tough, etc) but the importance is you have to sell something. And the guy selling it has to believe in it. Is Addazio a great coach? No, but I do believe he buys into the the BC mythology and sells it hard. That is partly because of his geographic and cultural roots.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:When BYU opens up, Evangelicals will be lining up for that job.

BYU has only had mormon head coaches. When Bronco left, their list was pretty shitty because they only wanted a Mormon coach. That's how they ended up with Sitake.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:38 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Brown and Day make the most sense.

I've read your consistent thoughts on the importance of fit at BC. How does that mesh with your consistent support of Neal Brown being the choice?

Neal Brown was born an raised in Kentucky. He went to a public school there (i.e. not a Catholic high school). Spent most of his playing career at University of Kentucky. Has spent the vast majority of his coaching career bouncing between Kentucky, Texas and Alabama. He has only been outside the deep South on 4 occasions (1 season as a player at Umass, 1 season as a Grad Assist at Umass, 1 season as a WR coach at Sacred Heart and 1 season as a WR coach at Delaware). None of those brief pitstops occurred during the past dozen years. He has never coached at a school remotely like BC academically (JuCos are the way of life at every one of his stops). There is no indication that he is even Catholic.

While I would support the hiring of Neal Brown, I fail to see how anyone can base that support upon some sort of cultural "fit".
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Brown and Day make the most sense.

I've read your consistent thoughts on the importance of fit at BC. How does that mesh with your consistent support of Neal Brown being the choice?

Neal Brown was born an raised in Kentucky. He went to a public school there (i.e. not a Catholic high school). Spent most of his playing career at University of Kentucky. Has spent the vast majority of his coaching career bouncing between Kentucky, Texas and Alabama. He has only been outside the deep South on 4 occasions (1 season as a player at Umass, 1 season as a Grad Assist at Umass, 1 season as a WR coach at Sacred Heart and 1 season as a WR coach at Delaware). None of those brief pitstops occurred during the past dozen years. He has never coached at a school remotely like BC academically (JuCos are the way of life at every one of his stops). There is no indication that he is even Catholic.

While I would support the hiring of Neal Brown, I fail to see how anyone can base that support upon some sort of cultural "fit".

I have no idea of Brown's religion. I think the UMass and Sacred Heart experience give me some comfort he knows what he would be getting into. I also think Kentucky connection means he would probably welcome and successfully continue to recruit the Cincinnati area.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:31 am

This discussion is incredibly dumb
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:48 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:This discussion is incredibly dumb

Yup. Money is the only religion that matters in this conversation. And BC is a hard core atheist there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yup. Money is the only religion that matters in this conversation. And BC is a hard core atheist there.

unless it's the money they spend on scholarships for more division 1 teams than any other school
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

unless it's the money they spend on scholarships for more division 1 teams than any other school

Cash up front! You get the money back if you declare a redshirt but if you burn the redshirt you have to give back the money plus interest
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:

You can't make it through the recruiting process without learning how to dodge pederasts. A few boy lovers in collars shouldn't faze these guys.

The private mass/showervisit for large front tail donors needs to stop.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Feel like Brian Flores would definitely get an interview in any search. Alum, essentially the DC for the Patriots now, but without the title raising his status to out of our league. No idea what I think of him as a coach, but I have to feel like he'd be in the mix.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Feel like Brian Flores would definitely get an interview in any search. Alum, essentially the DC for the Patriots now, but without the title raising his status to out of our league. No idea what I think of him as a coach, but I have to feel like he'd be in the mix.

The Belichick coaching tree is full of busts.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:25 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:Feel like Brian Flores would definitely get an interview in any search. Alum, essentially the DC for the Patriots now, but without the title raising his status to out of our league. No idea what I think of him as a coach, but I have to feel like he'd be in the mix.

The Belichick coaching tree is full of busts.

Not quite full. Arguably the best college coach of all time came from the Belichick tree. Vrabel might be decent if you include him in the tree. BOB is a mixed bag. McDaniels wasn’t great. Weis and Crennel were bad. Patricia is an incomplete.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Can we all agree that Neal Brown is not the answer after losing to Liberty today? There’s no doubt that Don Brown remains the most realistic choice. BOB and the Buffalo coach are two other possibilities, but clearly DB is still the best fit.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 pm

If others are going to keep mentioning the same candidates, then I will keep mentioning Brian Daboll. But the win today likely delays this conversation another year. He'll be back even at 5-7, but 6-6 or 7-5 seems likely. Miami looks terrible, FSU is horrible and Cuse is mediocre.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:37 pm

If its not Bill O'Brien I just dont see the point of starting over with another MAC experiment or anyone with the last name Brown (either the one who played a year at UMASS or the senior citizen). I'd rather just make Campanile HC instead of most of the names on here
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 pm

In order for Campanile to be hired as head coach, he’ll have to grow a mustache like those other two dumb wops.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Why don't we just use Google like Bowling Green?

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0181014165

With Bowling Green fresh off a Mid-American Conference title powered by one of the country’s highest-flying offenses, then-AD Chris Kingston wanted to keep a good thing going. So he Googled which team had the best offense that year, noted it was Texas Tech, and essentially targeted the top Red Raiders assistant he could afford.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Why don't we just use Google like Bowling Green?

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/coll ... 0181014165

With Bowling Green fresh off a Mid-American Conference title powered by one of the country’s highest-flying offenses, then-AD Chris Kingston wanted to keep a good thing going. So he Googled which team had the best offense that year, noted it was Texas Tech, and essentially targeted the top Red Raiders assistant he could afford.

Unlike Rutgers, which intends to fall further behind with third-year coach Chris Ash despite the same air of inevitability, credit Bowling Green for the aggressive audible.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 am

good job by daz getting the worst p5 team on the schedule to fulfill that requirement

also an easy road trip
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:good job by daz getting the worst p5 team on the schedule to fulfill that requirement

also an easy road trip

Are we referencing Rutgers in NJ next year? We should circle the cars and have a blow out tailgate.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:good job by daz getting the worst p5 team on the schedule to fulfill that requirement

also an easy road trip

Are we referencing Rutgers in NJ next year? We should circle the cars and have a blow out tailgate.

Potential Fear and Loathing in Piscataway scenario.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

also an easy road trip

Potential Fear and Loathing in Piscataway scenario.

i assume you and hansen would be the ones taking turns in the barrel...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:06 am

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/inde ... iver_index

Who wants this job?

essentially a piece that even if rutgres affords ash's buyout of $10 mm who even would want the job (beyond schiano which would be hilarious and probably would be the faviorite as of now for many reasons ). their schedule ends w 4 of 5 games against ranked teams so on field this will only get worse. 4 decommits already so might be a place to pick off if there are any worth it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:49 am

The names that float around for Daz’s replacement are the same that would consider the Rutgers gig. Some like Schiano and Al Golden would hurt our recruiting efforts. We should hope they hold onto Ash for another year. He seems incapable of turning that thing around. But, as we discuss our coaching situation, we should recall that the now-much-maligned Ash was the top young assistant off of Urban’s wildly respected staff. The point being that these coaching searches are like a box of chocolates.

As for RU, the biggest real negative to Schiano is the same for the entire Rutgers program. Any and all success they’ve had occurred only when their schedule was downgraded by BC, Miami and VT leaving for the ACC. While some question whether BC can compete consistently in the ACC (though we’ve found comparable historic results), it is completely valid to question whether RU will EVER be able to find ANY success in the Big Ten. Their disasterous results since their B14 move are right in line to their pre-defection Big East performances.

All that said, they are paid handsomely to be a doormat. The article bemoaning money is laughable when you consider that they get paid that buyout price ($10mm) more every year than BC does in the ACC. So, yes... they can pay the buyout and pay the next coach and staff. Doing so, however, is another matter all together. Whether that’ll make any difference, is really the most relevant question. Fr. Leahy would argue that there is nothing wrong with cashing $35mm checks to be in last place. If that is what you are going to do, just pay a young coach below market and see if he turns out to be a home run... only then do you face the idea of having to pony-up market rate.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Rutgers does not get a full share of B1G revenue, it’s some amount less.

BC has now made a significant commitment to football with the new IPF and practice facilities along with a $150 million capital campaign. Our recruiting is not going to be hurt by anyone, it’s only going to improve.

You are absolutely right about the gamble of hiring assistant coaches. BC needs a coach with at least some head coaching experience even if it is at a lower level. The Buffalo coach is one example as is Don Brown. I would not count out BC going after BOB if he is available or a coach from an equal level program, think Iowa, Purdue or KU. These coaches might want to get into a conference where they have a better chance of winning at least a division title. I think we could be over the money issue finally.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium