2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019 Head Coaching Candidares

Postby Lead Kindly Light on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
Paul Peterson just started as head coach at Snow this year. It will be interesting to see how he does. If Daz gets fired after 2019, he would have two years under his belt.

He'd need to come in and be an OC or something first, but his team definitely knows how to score. 4/5 games at 56+ points https://snowbadgers.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&

Every high school in Florida, Texas, or California plays a tougher schedule than Snow College. I never even heard of it till this thread. If BC High or Xaverian wins the Mass. Super Bowl their coaches can also interview to give Peterson some fair competition.

If I were AD I'd fix basketball first, or do both together. 2 recruits can rebuild a basketball program. Easy peasy, relatively speaking.
Lead Kindly Light
n00b

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am

Lead Kindly Light {l Wrote}:If I were AD I'd fix basketball first, or do both together. 2 recruits can rebuild a basketball program. Easy peasy, relatively speaking.

I agree. JC hasn't really done anything other than hire Spinelli (who has landed some nice recruits). I think faith and patience in JC is wholy unwarranted. That said, BB is Jarmond's sport. It is the area where he's at risk of becoming Coach Flip. He and his folks have been out there publicly supporting the direction of the BB program. In the same conversations, they've taken a critical/speculative stance as it relates to Daz (who I think objectively done a significantly better job). Now... they could be reading the room and just preaching to the choir (which is all salesmen really ever do). But, I have generally been surprised at the lack of public pressure on the BB front. Perhaps, the trainwreck that is NCAA BB has cooled BC's willingness to "dive out the window" into the dirtiest cesspool in the neighborhood.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 am

Here is what I wrote in 2018 (I crossing out those now unavailable)
CANDIDATES 2018

Obvious Home Run Hire: Chip Kelly

The remaining options seem to fall into 2 categories… retreads (generally low-floor/low-ceiling) and up-and-comers (generally high-risk/high-reward).

Retreads
Greg Schiano
Les Miles
Troy Calhoun
Bob Stoops
Charlie Strong
Lane Kiffin
Wayne Fontes
Al Golden
Tom Coughlin
Mike London
Mark Helfrich
Frank Solich
Ken Niumatalolo
Randy Shannon
Josh McDaniels
Jim Tressel
Bo Pellini
Brady Hoke
Butch Davis
Turner Gill
Bobby Wilder
Jeff Jagodzinski
Any of the “Hot Seat” NFL coaches (like BOB)
Any of the “Hot Seat” college coaches (like Sumlin)

Up-and-coming
Scott Frost
Joe Moorhead
HCRD
Neal Brown
Brent Venables
Brian Flores
Pete Carmichael Jr.
Mike Reed
Al Washington
Greg Roman
Matt Patricia
Sean Ryan
Dennis Allen
Mike Vrabel
Pep Hamilton
Tim Drevno
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris
Mario Cristobal
Tee Martin
Jason Candle
Frank Wilson
Dave Aranda

Here is what I wrote in 2017
Barring a stars aligning event that lands BOB or Chip (ain't gonna happen), you have to make a decision on which avenue you are going to take in 2018. Do you (a) "stay within the family" with an assistant from the failed staffs of Spaz or Daz, (b) do you hire a retread or (c) do you hire a young up-and-comer trying to grab a few good years before they move on to bigger and better things.

For me, (a) is a nonstarter. I don't want anything to do with the taint of an assistant of one of these buffoons. A perceived up-and-comer carries significant risk. Those guys fail miserably more often than they succeed. If you are certain that you have the next Tom Herman, you absolutely pull the trigger. But, I have no faith that a BC administration who just hired Spaz and Daz (and Don and JC) is capable of magically tapping the next rising star.

One thing that is important about the next hire is that it should be clear that this isn't what is viewed as a final destination. Assistants and head coaches do best when they are striving for something. TOB's and Jag's first staffs were hungry and thought they were hitching a ride to an upwardly mobile coach. Out next coach should be viewed similarly.

… and…

I prefer a retread, followed by a rising NFL assistant.

But, if you are going to pretend that BC is going to cut a $10mm check to send a tenured gym teacher off into retirement, then they won't be able to spend ANYTHING on the next coach. This is a school who still can't find someone to donate $5mm to put their name on the IPF. It's folly to think they have the financial wherewithal to eat a $10mm buyout. Nonetheless, if believing in Santa keeps folks from offing themselves... so be it.

A realistic name that would be uber cheap and would jump at the job is Neal Brown. Super young... Umass grad... runs a funky O... is crushing it at Troy... played Clemson very tough.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am

That was one of the most HJS-iest posts that HJS ever HJSed.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 am

While buttcut had no chance of ever making a nuanced hire, I think there is a chance that Jarmond won't intentionally screw it up (especially since I do not think he wants BC to be his final destination). I fully expect him to hire someone who's viewed as an up-and-comer and under 50 (esentially someone in the mold of himself). I also expect him to have a broader scope and not pigeon-hole himself to candidates from inside the BC family.

I think he will look at guys like:
Neal Brown
Brian Flores
HCRD
Al Washington
Mike Reed
Shane Waldron
Sean Ryan
John DeFilippo
Pete Carmichael Jr.
Brent Venables
Dave Aranda
Jason Candle
Frank Wilson
Scott Satterfield
Chad Morris
Mike Norvell
Tony Elliott

Generally, I think that (if BC makes a change this year), we will likely be able to punch above our weight class. This is mainly due to the fact that this program's problems have nothing to do with talent. Any new coach will have a retruning starters throughout AND AJ Dillon. This would not be terribly dissimilar to the team Jags received. To that end, I think that there will be a number of retreads who would be interested in the job with the hope of reinvigorating their name. So, it will be interesting to see how Jarmond responds if he gets in-bound interest from folks like Greg Schiano, Bob Stoops, Les Miles or Ben McAdoo (not predicting they would specifically be candidates... just stating I believe someone in that mold may unexpectedly throw their hat into the ring).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:49 am

HJS {l Wrote}:...This would not be terribly dissimilar to the team Jags received...

jags received a quarterback and a defense. this team has neither
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Bill O'Brien will be available soon. At least he'll improve the throw game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bill O'Brien will be available soon. At least he'll improve the throw game.

I've said this before, but I truly believe BOB would be a perfect fit for BC. Do not believe it will happen (timing, money, BC being BC).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bill O'Brien will be available soon. At least he'll improve the throw game.

3. Texans' Bill O'Brien
Yes, the Texans beat the Cowboys on Sunday to push their record to 2-3, but the manner in which they won shouldn't inspire much confidence. Despite out-gaining the Cowboys by 170 yards, they only won when Garrett bailed them out by punting in overtime. Even then, it required a miraculous catch and run by DeAndre Hopkins to get the Texans into field-goal range.

The way O'Brien handled the team's red zone trips is especially concerning. They went 1 of 6 in the red zone, and the play-calls included sweeping runs with Deshaun Watson, who is coming off a torn ACL. Watson took an absolute pounding.

Last year, O'Brien's excuse was legitimate: They had no healthy players. This year, everyone is healthy, from Watson to J.J. Watt to Whitney Mercilus. O'Brien is out of excuses. This team is nowhere close to becoming a playoff contender. If the Texans miss the playoffs again, it wouldn't be surprising to see them move in a different direction. O'Brien is 33-36 as the Texans' coach and while he's made the playoffs twice, he's never won more than nine games in a season.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Lead Kindly Light {l Wrote}:If I were AD I'd fix basketball first, or do both together. 2 recruits can rebuild a basketball program. Easy peasy, relatively speaking.

I agree. JC hasn't really done anything other than hire Spinelli (who has landed some nice recruits). I think faith and patience in JC is wholy unwarranted. That said, BB is Jarmond's sport. It is the area where he's at risk of becoming Coach Flip. He and his folks have been out there publicly supporting the direction of the BB program. In the same conversations, they've taken a critical/speculative stance as it relates to Daz (who I think objectively done a significantly better job). Now... they could be reading the room and just preaching to the choir (which is all salesmen really ever do). But, I have generally been surprised at the lack of public pressure on the BB front. Perhaps, the trainwreck that is NCAA BB has cooled BC's willingness to "dive out the window" into the dirtiest cesspool in the neighborhood.

Unless they get some major jump from Popovic, Mitchell, etc. or the freshman are amazing this team is going to have a losing conference record again this year. I'm still not a big Ky Bowman fan.

As long as BC keeps being BC I'd honestly prefer they just stick with JC. Whatever coach they hire will be some cheap option with a 0% chance of success and we'll be right back in the same place.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Quoted For Accuracy
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Unless they get some major jump from Popovic, Mitchell, etc. or the freshman are amazing this team is going to have a losing conference record again this year. I'm still not a big Ky Bowman fan.

As long as BC keeps being BC I'd honestly prefer they just stick with JC. Whatever coach they hire will be some cheap option with a 0% chance of success and we'll be right back in the same place.

6-7 ACC wins. NIT invite.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

6-7 ACC wins. NIT invite.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
I think he will look at guys like:
Neal Brown - Yes. Good fit and realist.
Brian Flores - Never been a head coach and never coached college. Would never sniff this job if not for BC connection.
HCRD - I think the window for him to come back to BC has passed.
Al Washington - not ready
Mike Reed - Never been coordinator and never showed any real interest in coming back to BC. Passed on offers from multiple BC head coaches.
Shane Waldron - Not terrible but a big reach. Never recruited.
Sean Ryan - Another GDF protege. A short stint as a BC GA doesn't really get me excited.
John DeFilippo - This is a joke, right?
Pete Carmichael Jr. - GDF and BB ignored him.
Brent Venables - Would be a real odd fit.
Dave Aranda - Not terrible.
Jason Candle - Not terrible but once again going rolling the dice with a MAC guy.
Frank Wilson - Another odd fit. What has he done at USTA to make you think he would be great at BC?
Scott Satterfield - Terrible fit.
Chad Morris - Why would he take less money to be the Head Coach at BC?
Mike Norvell - Weird fit and I think he will probably go to a factory before BC gets serious.
Tony Elliott - Not a terrible fit but still a big risk. Probably a better bet than Venables.

Most of HJS's list is terrible. See above. Brown and Day make the most sense.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Didn’t FHCRD get named tOSU head coach in waiting?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Ryan Day is a hard pass. Probably on both ends, which is good because it's double insurance.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Most of HJS's list is terrible. See above. Brown and Day make the most sense.

You really need to move beyond “fit”. Maybe it is something you acquired through osmosis from the commenters on your blog.

How was Jarmond a “fit”? When was he ever in New England? When did he ever coach at a similar academic institution? Jarmond has made one hire thus far... McNamee... someone with zero connections to the school or similarly situated programs.

I get it. If the same whalepants advising the BOT on previous searches are puppeteering from White Mountain Creamery, you are right to focus exclusively on fit. And if that’s where this next search is destined, I’d rather keep Daz... keep his good recruiting... terrible coaching... and his gif-inspiring tantrums in a 7-6 season.

I think, when the time comes for a hire, Jarmond will look beyond 128. My prediction is he’ll pick a young up-and-comer who is likely unproven. If I was the AD, I’d be partial to BOB, Schiano, Golden and Calhoun... but, I didn’t list them because I was trying to guess what Jarmond would do. Basically, if you don’t like the listed names or the idea of rolling the dice with a not-sure-thing, then don’t fire Daz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 am

Any coach is a roll of the dice but Candle has had a lot more success as HC than Daz.

I think "fit" matters a lot less because of both Jarmond and the evolution of the game even since Daz was hired. All the Power 5 schools are national now. Even BC. The BoT is sufficiently nstional to know this too. And Leahy has no expertise.

Now they are not going to hire someone who has only recruited JUCOs. But I believe for the first time in a long time outside the box candidates will at least get interviews.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:41 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Didn’t FHCRD get named tOSU head coach in waiting?

apparently that was fake news

again pass on bob. pass on patron saint of rapists

i think moj is correct as usual that jarmond is going to branch beyond the normal crew where teh extent of diversity bates showed was which mac school he'd pick from.

someone like brent venables wouldn't surprise me. not saying exactly him but a big time coordinator, first time HC, who isn't from the family would be my guess
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 am

we should wait until next year to make the list since that is when marty will be looking
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Most of HJS's list is terrible. See above. Brown and Day make the most sense.

We all know the drill by now. He'll compile an 80 name list, and then 2 years later pick out the 3 most successful coaches and tell us he knew who we should have hired all along
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Jarmond is a fundraiser who worked the Midwest and is from NC. He knows the ACC and although he had never worked private schools or the Northeast, he certainly seemed to get BC. Lots of the guys you mentioned are from schools with no similar geography for recruiting and have never recruited for schools with any admission standards. Also the Catholic issue is a bigger deal than you probably realize for some of these Evangelical coaches. That's what I mean by fit. We can grab a coach from a random school from outside the region - like Logan would have been from ECU - but the guy better be an x and os guy who is Catholic, not just some yokel who slips cash to random juco players.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Also the Catholic issue is a bigger deal than you probably realize for some of these Evangelical coaches.

I'm not buying this.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:06 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is a fundraiser who worked the Midwest and is from NC. He knows the ACC and although he had never worked private schools or the Northeast, he certainly seemed to get BC. Lots of the guys you mentioned are from schools with no similar geography for recruiting and have never recruited for schools with any admission standards. Also the Catholic issue is a bigger deal than you probably realize for some of these Evangelical coaches. That's what I mean by fit. We can grab a coach from a random school from outside the region - like Logan would have been from ECU - but the guy better be an x and os guy who is Catholic, not just some yokel who slips cash to random juco players.

College football is too big of a business for all involved for any of this backwater shit to be true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 pm

The Catholic thing is laughable. No coach in America would turn down ND unless they were at some place comparable. And I know some foot washing Baptists.

If people turn down BC it is because of imagined academic restrictions and real lack of talent in NE.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is a fundraiser who worked the Midwest and is from NC. He knows the ACC and although he had never worked private schools or the Northeast, he certainly seemed to get BC. Lots of the guys you mentioned are from schools with no similar geography for recruiting and have never recruited for schools with any admission standards. Also the Catholic issue is a bigger deal than you probably realize for some of these Evangelical coaches. That's what I mean by fit. We can grab a coach from a random school from outside the region - like Logan would have been from ECU - but the guy better be an x and os guy who is Catholic, not just some yokel who slips cash to random juco players.

College football is too big of a business for all involved for any of this backwater shit to be true.

So all this money is changing hands in basketball but it is not in Football? The car dealer recording Cam Newton's dad trolling for tens of thousands was just a one time thing?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 pm

I am not going to IB you all with anecdotal evidence about Catholicism issues among evangelicals. I am also not saying that the football coach has to be a devout Catholic. Just someone who has comfort and understanding of how much Catholicism is interwoven into BC football. Beyond the priest traveling with the team and the game day mass, there is also a Wednesday mass and other events. Jarmond was pretty vocal in his introductory interviews that his wife is Catholic. It matters with fit.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Whether or not it really matters whether the coach is Catholic, I'm not sure that it's a coincidence that we've had Italian, Italian, Pole, Irishman this century. I think Jarmond may do things differently because he seems to be doing things a different way, but whether or not it was set in stone, the coaches have been Catholic. I don't think that's because non-Catholic coaches would turn us down for that reason. It's a business, people want better jobs. If anything, geography/tough admissions reputation diminish coaches interest more.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Maybe with all the bad press, we should tone down the Catholicism a touch.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So all this money is changing hands in basketball but it is not in Football? The car dealer recording Cam Newton's dad trolling for tens of thousands was just a one time thing?

Wait, what? I stopped listening to you a few years ago but this doesn't sound like you are supporting your own argument.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium