BC at Wake Forest - Official Gameday Thead - 9/13/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC at Wake Forest - Official Gameday Thead - 9/13/2018

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:p&s - the hurricane was really bad and I hope the extra two hours helped the team get home okay.

I had to turn my rear defroster on for my drive home. It was a little humid, and dry and not at all rainy or windy. Two-hours-early assholes

They don't cancel games for rain. Bet they play
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this bc team is bad, but the coach is worse. wake is terrible, but we gave them a game

heinz will lose to purdue. he is a bad coach

The team is actually very good.

I assume you’re referring to wake. the bc team on the field was average, at best

no

of course. 10-2. This is the greatest team ever and it totally showed on the field. I’m sorry I commented on a high school football game that I watched that clearly wasn’t our superior team that is totally awesome at everything (and not just on papers)

Well 10-2 just because well 10-2.

This team is the most skilled on offense in probably ten years.
The defense is very good against the pass and so far weak against the run.
ST is comically bad. Hopefully lichtenberg can get healthy and we can find a long snapper.

I think ST can be fixed but I worry if we can stop the run. If we can improve in that facet of the game as well, then this team really could go 10-2. There, i said it.

Yeah, because all 12 games are against teams that are not good at footballing... like tonight
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:Love the comments that Brown looked okay, but will have to be better, like anyone would have taken a bet that he'd throw 5 TDs against any team this year, much less an ACC team.

Yeah, he was decent. I'm reserving judgement for now!

Other than that, I thought OLine run blocking looked very poor. Dillon seemed to get stuck behind the line frequently, yet ended up with 180-something on 33 carries, so what do I know? I guess Brown was simply decent!

He played mediocre to average in the first half and well in the second. Box score analysis does not give you a full picture. But I’m sure you know that.

Brown barely hit wide open guys. 3 of the TDs were poorly thrown balls to guys with no one around and a fourth, to smith was WAY underthrown. The TD to Glines was the only one that was great.

Brown played the best game of his very short BC career today. He didn't have many passing plays and the few he had, the receivers were wide open. But he hit the receivers, they caught the balls, and they scored touchdowns. There weren't all that many bad passing plays (except the ones where the receivers were tackled for losses, lol!) Brown HAD to have the best game of his career today for the team to win the game. And why? Wake went 100% on defense to stop the run, didn't give a damn about pass defense. And even still, A J had a decent game (not his best, but a decent game.) Given Wake's defensive scheme, it was the responsibility for Brown to be the man to win the game for the team. He succeeded.

You didn't watch the game. One TD had to be overturned, another was reviewed, and a third was only a TD because Jeff Smith is so fast he made up for a shit throw. I'm happy with brown but that team was dogshit with 11 in the box. He'd better do that.

He's a college QB coming back from a major injury and he threw for over 300 yards, 5 TDs and no INTs. Darius Wade could only dream of a game like that.

I'm surprised they didn't have more designed run plays for Brown or some RPO. I think there was one QB draw and that was it.

He's actually just not accurate. Never has been. But he's good enough to beat bad teams that sell out in the box.

He's not accurate, I agree. But they are not taking advantage of his athleticism. He does have the arm to make the throws. Wade could only throw 5 yard outs.

Wade was scared to throw more than 5 yard outs. That's coaching.

Why can't you just say it?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
yurch10 {l Wrote}:Love the comments that Brown looked okay, but will have to be better, like anyone would have taken a bet that he'd throw 5 TDs against any team this year, much less an ACC team.

Other than that, I thought OLine run blocking looked very poor. Dillon seemed to get stuck behind the line frequently, yet ended up with 180-something on 33 carries, so what do I know? I guess Brown was simply decent!

He played mediocre to average in the first half and well in the second. Box score analysis does not give you a full picture. But I’m sure you know that.

Brown barely hit wide open guys. 3 of the TDs were poorly thrown balls to guys with no one around and a fourth, to smith was WAY underthrown. The TD to Glines was the only one that was great.

Brown played the best game of his very short BC career today. He didn't have many passing plays and the few he had, the receivers were wide open. But he hit the receivers, they caught the balls, and they scored touchdowns. There weren't all that many bad passing plays (except the ones where the receivers were tackled for losses, lol!) Brown HAD to have the best game of his career today for the team to win the game. And why? Wake went 100% on defense to stop the run, didn't give a damn about pass defense. And even still, A J had a decent game (not his best, but a decent game.) Given Wake's defensive scheme, it was the responsibility for Brown to be the man to win the game for the team. He succeeded.

You didn't watch the game. One TD had to be overturned, another was reviewed, and a third was only a TD because Jeff Smith is so fast he made up for a shit throw. I'm happy with brown but that team was dogshit with 11 in the box. He'd better do that.

He's a college QB coming back from a major injury and he threw for over 300 yards, 5 TDs and no INTs. Darius Wade could only dream of a game like that.

I'm surprised they didn't have more designed run plays for Brown or some RPO. I think there was one QB draw and that was it.

He's actually just not accurate. Never has been. But he's good enough to beat bad teams that sell out in the box.

He's not accurate, I agree. But they are not taking advantage of his athleticism. He does have the arm to make the throws. Wade could only throw 5 yard outs.

I'd still prefer Wade over Brown last season. As I have always said Brown will be a better player when he's not a redshirt freshman that can't hit a barn door. He's closer, but without Dillon, they lose to a bad team by 14.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

I'd still prefer Wade over Brown last season. As I have always said Brown will be a better player when he's not a redshirt freshman that can't hit a barn door. He's closer, but without Dillon, they lose to a bad team by 14.

:roll:
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby mod6A on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Throw game looking strong tonight.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:14 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

:roll:

Eh. I want to beat Clemson. That was much closer to UMass
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I have convinced myself that the overuse of the running game in the first half was part of a rope a dope, master strategy. The intent was to lull the Wake DBs into complacency, and then boom, unleash the play action in the 2nd half. It worked, didn't it?

Think of this. The field goal kicker had a terrible game and he didn't even try a field goal.

Why not throw in a few running packages with a fullback for added blocking?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I have convinced myself that the overuse of the running game in the first half was part of a rope a dope, master strategy. The intent was to lull the Wake DBs into complacency, and then boom, unleash the play action in the 2nd half. It worked, didn't it?

Think of this. The field goal kicker had a terrible game and he didn't even try a field goal.

I quickly looked at the score prediction thread and only two or three people picked more than 41 points and a couple picked 41. So the offensive output exceeded most expectations on this board. That's not to excuse the first half play calling, it was reminiscent of 2015.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I have convinced myself that the overuse of the running game in the first half was part of a rope a dope, master strategy. The intent was to lull the Wake DBs into complacency, and then boom, unleash the play action in the 2nd half. It worked, didn't it?

I quickly looked at the score prediction thread and only two or three people picked more than 41 points and a couple picked 41. So the offensive output exceeded most expectations on this board. That's not to excuse the first half play calling, it was reminiscent of 2015.

The defense also was shitty
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Maybe. But not many 2015 games had BC with 21 points at halftime. This is a much better BC team that can actually execute those 2015 plays.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Wake is not great offensively. Very concerned about the D.
Where were the passes to Dillon?
I feel like we have the thinnest playbook in America. It’s really bothersome.
Still don’t really trust Brown, but we do finally have decent talent at TE and WR.
No idea what to think about this Purdue game.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Maybe. But not many 2015 games had BC with 21 points at halftime. This is a much better BC team that can actually execute those 2015 plays.

Talent. Smith White and Dillon are better than that whole team.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Wake is not great offensively. Very concerned about the D.
Where were the passes to Dillon?
I feel like we have the thinnest playbook in America. It’s really bothersome.
Still don’t really trust Brown, but we do finally have decent talent at TE and WR.

Think they should win by 3 TDs or it is a failure. Because that is the truth.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Talent. Smith White and Dillon are better than that whole team.

Agreed.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Overall, I'd say the game was disappointing given my expectations. Fortunately, most of the teams on the schedule are average except for Clemson.

1st and Dillon is way too predictable.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Wake is not great offensively. Very concerned about the D.

A loss today to Wake forest would have been the fault of special teams play. It would not have fallen on the D. On 105 plays, the defense gave up just 20 points. That is incredible for this D, and incredible inefficiency for Wake Forest. They had to get "lucky" on 4th down 5 or 6 times.

flakes {l Wrote}:Where were the passes to Dillon?

Didn't need it. 5 different people caught a TD pass. BC's offense was never on the field long enough to bother to throw the ball to him. Too many other weapons.

flakes {l Wrote}:I feel like we have the thinnest playbook in America. It’s really bothersome.

I would rather they have a play book with just 12 plays in it if it meant scoring 6 touchdowns as opposed to a playbook with 50 plays resulting in 3 touchdowns. Its not the thickness of the playbook. It is how they execute the plays. As was said earlier, these are the same plays from 2015. Totally different result.

flakes {l Wrote}:Still don’t really trust Brown, but we do finally have decent talent at TE and WR.

Let me try to put your mind at ease.

Wake had a lot of returning depth this year, 8 returning starters on offense and 7 on defense (including 2 defensive linemen.) Much like BC, all 5 starting offensive linemen return and Colburn is the 4th best tailback in the ACC. We should not be shocked with all those yards rushing. With the QB coming back from suspension, that is an 8-4 Wake Forest team. This is NOT a rebuilding year for WF. They are built to win this year. That WF team beats Syracuse and might kill Louisville.

OTOH the Purdue team was obliterated by graduation on the defensive side of the ball. I am not sure Neal was a starter on the D-Line last year and if he wasn't, then their entire defensive front are newbies. BC should have at least 28 points scored on Purdue by halftime. The Boilermakers are not going to have 105 plays on offense, nor are they going to score even 21 points in the entire game unless BC gives up another 14 on special teams.

Wake Forest was the true "test" for the early part of the season. This game (given the play of BC on special teams) could have gone either way. That was not a decisive win. But they got the win. BC is 3-0, looking at 5-0 and a perfect record going into October. They should have no trouble with Purdue on the road. I refuse to even dignify Temple.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 am

I'm glad wake was missing 7 guys with torn acl's and their starting qb.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 am

This was a great game for BC. Unquestionably.

With the schedule the way it is this year, this early in the season we have only three goals:
1) Stay undefeated - DONE
2) Stay healthy - DONE
3) Continue to develop - Give it time...

The offense scored 41pts on the road...and still has room to grow. That's phenomenal.

The defense and special teams looked shaky, but it's week 3...and we're undefeated, healthy and we still have time to develop. Remember that last year it wasn't just AJ Dillon starting that turned things around, it was adjustments to the OL. We've got time to figure out the run defense. And we've got time to figure out special teams.

Unquestionably a great game for BC football. The only question is can we stay healthy and undefeated long enough to figure it out before we get to the meat of the schedule. Stop your complaining and enjoy.

:screamyeagle :flagus :screamyeagle :flagus :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 am

I actually got this sense too, listening to Daz in the presser. Even if it's strategy and even if it worked, I think it's wrong.

We didn't need to run AJ into the line for 2Q to get 1-on-1 coverage for play action. Wake was crashing the line from play one. The first 3 play actions went for TD's, and likely would have gone for TD's whether they were after 20 AJ runs, or the very first 3 plays of the game.

I just wonder how much damage AJ could actually do if we used play action to set up the run game, instead of the other way around. I know it's non-traditional thinking and a bit more risky, but with teams likely to stack the box from the get-go, it could save us all a lot of stress and save AJ from a lot of unnecessary tough runs and physical abuse. And then suddenly a fresh AJ Dillon is attacking a 6 or 7 man front instead of a 10 man front.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 am

They need to clean up whatever is happening on Special Teams.

People complaining about the play calling when we score 41 is interesting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 am

Still got stuff clean up to beat good teams imo. I think that’s Clemson and probably FSU and VT and that’s it on the schedule
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 am

the running the ball 11 straight times on first down is annoying but at the end of the day they've scored at least 35 points in 5 of last 7 games vs power 5 (starting with the 'it'll come together and it'll be beautiful' line). the two they didn't, one was when anthony tore his knee and the other was played on an ice rink.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 am

Brown was excellent today. He was the reason why we are all either a little happy or mildly annoyed VS being batfuck BPD crazy right now. Wake's game plan was almost brilliant. Basically:

• Stop AJ Dillon at ALL COSTS (even if it means BC receivers are wide open all night, which they were)
  • Go with a hurry up offense to "gas" BC's defense
  • Be opportunistic on special teams
  • Don't have any penalties

I think Wake played to the maximum of that team's ability tonight and their game plan (utterly ignoring BC's passing game, just hoping for dropped passes) had a slim shot of actually getting a win. They needed Brown to miss a few, which he didn't. They needed the receivers to drop a few, which they didn't. So, its all good.

This is a pretty fair assessment. The one thing that was most troubling was our dline...that slow motion " misdirection" or whatever it was seemed like it succeeded in part because our dline was stood up and couldn't get any penetration to blow up that play that Wake ran over and over again. Maybe Wakes oline is really good...but the repetition with which it succeeded was puzzling.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:42 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

He threw some good balls, but he also threw some real shit balls as well. I think he is light years better than last year though. But, If he improves his accuracy... this team will be deadly. They’d be able to beat pretty much anyone on the schedule with maybe the exception of Clemson.

Agreed, and why I reserve judgement. I appreciate he hasn't played a full season yet, so I expect he can improve. Buy he had some east pickins' and has to improve his accuracy going forward. Improved play calling could help some too.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:55 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

I actually got this sense too, listening to Daz in the presser. Even if it's strategy and even if it worked, I think it's wrong.

We didn't need to run AJ into the line for 2Q to get 1-on-1 coverage for play action. Wake was crashing the line from play one. The first 3 play actions went for TD's, and likely would have gone for TD's whether they were after 20 AJ runs, or the very first 3 plays of the game.

I just wonder how much damage AJ could actually do if we used play action to set up the run game, instead of the other way around. I know it's non-traditional thinking and a bit more risky, but with teams likely to stack the box from the get-go, it could save us all a lot of stress and save AJ from a lot of unnecessary tough runs and physical abuse. And then suddenly a fresh AJ Dillon is attacking a 6 or 7 man front instead of a 10 man front.

Only a head coach with the acumen of Steve Addazio thinks he can go into a game and play "rope-a-dope".
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:06 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this bc team is bad, but the coach is worse. wake is terrible, but we gave them a game

heinz will lose to purdue. he is a bad coach

Not as bad as losing 3-0 or 34-10, but yes, I thought BC would look better overall in this game. They still put up 41 points. Clean up the special teams and it's a comfortable win.

For once I agree with you! Nice to see we have a passing game that can be explosive.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:32 am

A few quick thoughts:
- I'm not against the running on obvious running downs but it was not that it was predictable, but there was just no other option for Wake to even have to worry about on the runs aside from Dillon. I think they should bring a lot of Jeff Smith motions pre-snap to give the opposition some concern for him getting the ball, make some defenders move presnap and give Dillon perhaps one more gap to hit. The runs on first down just need another wrinkle.
- A flea flicker Brown-Dillon-Brown-WR is going to go for 6 this year, perhaps multiple times.
- The defense - I like the aggressive nature of the DBs. Love Cheevers. What Wake was doing to our defense is brutal, tempo offense, no chance to substitute and small chunks of yardage mostly, which rolled up 100+ plays. BRUTAL!! Given that, and considering the STs handed them essentially 14 points, I think they did alright. Plus the last TD was basically conceded to them. I just hope we don't see this type of stuff again.
- Also given what Wake was doing to the defense, Wyatt Ray's performance down the stretch was impressive. Those guys were gdamn gassed but not him.
- I think Brown is inconsistent and not a GREAT thrower but few QBs are in D1. He's plenty serviceable and seems to have improved from last season to some degree. I'm more impressed with some of the things he is doing back there if you watch some of the replays closely. He looks comfortable in the pocket. He seems to have a decent head for the game. How will he react to pressure? And will he see much, as blitzing given the run-heavy Dillon offense isn't a great plan and could be a disaster. Those are two big questions which we'll have to see how they all develop as the schedule moves forward.
- I think he has plenty of weapons and these guys should be running open a lot of games simply because teams don't want to lose to Dillon. No drops from what I remember, I like it.
- Kobay White is a very solid WR. Glines is coming along nicely.
- Special teams needs a lot of work.
- No injuries. A few extra days of rest gives them a longer preparation week, which is good for the players. Daz obviously is not a good enough coach to use this to his benefit.
- It's mind boggling that BC stretched so many long TDs and didn't run plays in the red zone. Could that be a concern? Something to keep an eye on because with special teams problems, stalling in the red zone could be disastrous.
- All in all, a win on the road, no injuries... looked strong in some areas but not great in others. Gives them the mindset that they have more to work on and not to rest on their laurels so I think you take these things together and have to consider it a good result. I'd be concerned with over-confidence had they blown the doors off of Wake.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:37 am

What happened on the missed PAT? Was it a bad snap/hold?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium