BC vs. Holy Cross - Official Gameday Thead - 9/8/2018

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs. Holy Cross - Official Gameday Thead - 9/8/2018

Postby Supahfan99 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Fun atmosphere but the game itself was silly.

The best part was HC calling for fair catches on like the 5-10 yard line of kickoffs and the refs ruling a touchback

Why was that the best part? You must really like the new rule?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:30 pm

The tailgating scene was on par with the Notre Dame game last year. While the game was stupid, all games against an FCS school are stupid. If we are going to play an FCS school each year, then I'd be in favor of it being Holy Cross. Much better to be in a full stadium than playing in an half empty stadium against Weber St. or even a MAC school.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:33 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:The tailgating scene was on par with the Notre Dame game last year. While the game was stupid, all games against an FCS school are stupid. If we are going to play an FCS school each year, then I'd be in favor of it being Holy Cross. Much better to be in a full stadium than playing in an half empty stadium against Weber St. or even a MAC school.

This. Great atmosphere on campus today. It has been a long time since Domingo has seen the lots that full for a non-ND game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Though, I hope this easy lifting schedule doesn't come back and bite BC. FIRST OFFENSE, in game for 12 plays or some such. So they haven't played a full game after two games. My opinion, Brown needs work, regardless of opponent. He hasn't had a full season. Brotherhood sportsmanship and all considered, at least play real football for a half, then play audition football. Yeah, take Dillon out, play some other linemen, but leave in Brown to get some work. You left 1st D in for a half, why not the offense.

This game demonstrated that nondescript Division 2 cupcakes shouldn't be played except as a later season "off week" on the schedule. Going into week 3 BC hasn't faced any meaningful competition, and I question whether there's alot positive to be derived from it. Thankfully, its Wake, and not Clemson or VT next.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby sader87 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:37 pm

I thought it was a great atmosphere too...pre-game HC/BC party on GreyCliff Rd, popped by a couple tailgates on our way to Alumni and even a couple at MaryAnn's post game. Lot of memories all day long.

Game itself was atrocious...we are very young and very much in rebuilding mode...hope we can give a bettah showing in 2020, which i think we will.

Good luck this season! Chu chu rah rah!!!!
sader87
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:Though, I hope this easy lifting schedule doesn't come back and bite BC. FIRST OFFENSE, in game for 12 plays or some such. So they haven't played a full game after two games. My opinion, Brown needs work, regardless of opponent. He hasn't had a full season. Brotherhood sportsmanship and all considered, at least play real football for a half, then play audition football. Yeah, take Dillon out, play some other linemen, but leave in Brown to get some work. You left 1st D in for a half, why not the offense.

This game demonstrated that nondescript Division 2 cupcakes shouldn't be played except as a later season "off week" on the schedule. Going into week 3 BC hasn't faced any meaningful competition, and I question whether there's alot positive to be derived from it. Thankfully, its Wake, and not Clemson or VT next.

UMass has been competitive against the SEC teams it's played over the last 2-3 years. I think that 48-7 halftime lead is more impressive than people realize. Even Holy Cross only lost to UConn 27-20 last year. Are you complaining about BC being dominant? The schedule gradually gets harder and there is no reason why BC shouldn't be ready for Wake, Purdue and Temple after these two routs.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:50 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:The tailgating scene was on par with the Notre Dame game last year. While the game was stupid, all games against an FCS school are stupid. If we are going to play an FCS school each year, then I'd be in favor of it being Holy Cross. Much better to be in a full stadium than playing in an half empty stadium against Weber St. or even a MAC school.

The tailgating wasn't that good. Stop pretending that high school team matters.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Oh, and when holy cross gets their colon kicked in for the 3rd test in a row, those cheesy dbags are out.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, and when holy cross gets their colon kicked in for the 3rd test in a row, those cheesy dbags are out.

I'd rather be around HC fans than UMass fans. No question. And I think their fans will show up again in 2020.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

The best part was HC calling for fair catches on like the 5-10 yard line of kickoffs and the refs ruling a touchback

my understanding is that is a new rule this year. Any fair catch on the kickoff inside the 25 (I think) results in a touchback

Really? That is incredibly dumb
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

my understanding is that is a new rule this year. Any fair catch on the kickoff inside the 25 (I think) results in a touchback

Really? That is incredibly dumb

Ball is spotted at the 25.
Rather see them eliminate running down the field on kickoffs then do stupid shit like this.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:27 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

This. Great atmosphere on campus today. It has been a long time since Domingo has seen the lots that full for a non-ND game.

I agree. You could feel the difference in energy between last week and this week. HC fans showed up, without the drama of UConn or FSU fans. Despite the score, today was more fun than the UMass game. Was that the biggest crowd for a non-ND/Clemson/USC game in years?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:48 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:03 pm

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

I may not like him that much, but with the exception of "throw game" (which I didn't hear this time), he gives a pretty good press conference - or maybe Spaz was just that bad, so Daz sounds so much better in comparison.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I agree. You could feel the difference in energy between last week and this week. HC fans showed up, without the drama of UConn or FSU fans. Despite the score, today was more fun than the UMass game. Was that the biggest crowd for a non-ND/Clemson/USC game in years?

Labor day. They should never play they dog shit high school team again. Fuck you pussies that care more annoying tailgating with douches that didn't get in to BC than winning football.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby sader87 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Labor day. They should never play they dog shit high school team again. Fuck you pussies that care more annoying tailgating with douches that didn't get in to BC than winning football.

If you're ovah 50 or so, BC was the safety school for students applying to HC....just sayin' :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
sader87
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Over 40,000. For an FCS team.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

And it was terrible. Fuck high school football and dumb fucks that believe alex jones
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

And it was terrible. Fuck high school football and dumb fucks that believe alex jones

Fuck dumb fucks who went to SUNY Albany.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm

1. These past two weeks were preseason football games for BC. And, give the staff credit for getting the starters reps and then getting them out. Nothing good comes from prolonged PT in these games. You risk injury while not prepping them adequately for the season (as BC scrimmages are more competitive).
2. I think these two games show progress on the program’s part. Not many years ago, these games were significantly more competitive. Now, BC is winning them handily with 3rd stringers and a 10-play playbook.
3. While I don’t think you can glean anything from these games regarding starters, I do like catching glimpses of the young depth in the program. I’m encouraged by what we have coming up. From the QB perspective, I like McDonald’s throw game ability.
4. You can’t base too much on early season performances, but our future opponents haven’t covered themselves in glory thus far. Outside of Clemson, everyone on our schedule seems readily beatable by this year’s squad.
5. I’m glad HC fans showed up and had a good time. These “good for New England” games are dumb, but perfectly fine in a world where the likes of Bama also play non-FBS schools. Much rather play schools like HC, Maine, UNH and URI than Rider and Monmouth... just as I prefer playing UConn and Umass to NIU and Toledo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby sader87 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:24 pm

There's more to college football than beating beating Big State U or pick your direction State U imo....you really can't replicate the atmosphere you had today by playing Purdue or Central Michigan at Alumni.

I hear ya....beating Holy Cross does nothing for your position in the AP poll...but seriously, is that really that important in the grand scheme of things?
sader87
n00b

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 pm

sader87 {l Wrote}:There's more to college football than beating beating Big State U or pick your direction State U imo....you really can't replicate the atmosphere you had today by playing Purdue or Central Michigan at Alumni.

I hear ya....beating Holy Cross does nothing for your position in the AP poll...but seriously, is that really that important in the grand scheme of things?

We haven’t been ranked in so long that folks here are acting like it’s a milestone. Polls are stupid and meaningless. They only matter when you have a loss and still want to make the BCS Playoff. Whether we play UMass and HC or Ball State and Albany, the voters don’t care unless we lose. They put no credence in the wins. They simply take a wait and see approach and reserve judgment until we face more known quantities.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby sader87 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:18 pm

Biased obviously, but there isn't an FCS program in the country that can match HC's enthusiasm in playing BC.

Will most games be in the 62-14 range? Probably, but we'll get better.

All I'm saying is that it should be a game played every few years....too much history, too many familial/friend connections, too close geographically, too similar institutionally etc to completely stop playing as we have for 32 years until this year.

Just a tremendous day today....good luck against Wake Thursday!
sader87
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:45 pm

sader87 {l Wrote}:Biased obviously, but there isn't an FCS program in the country that can match HC's enthusiasm in playing BC.

Will most games be in the 62-14 range? Probably, but we'll get better.

All I'm saying is that it should be a game played every few years....too much history, too many familial/friend connections, too close geographically, too similar institutionally etc to completely stop playing as we have for 32 years until this year.

Just a tremendous day today....good luck against Wake Thursday!

glad it’s good for you and all your crosser buddies. what good does it do for the host and why should they keep doing it?

I’m with teddy on this. Fuck these high school games and you assholes that think it reflects anything about the team’s skills or abilities. Thursday night will be more of the same except it the boring local fans will be from tobaccoroad
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:55 pm

40k today was a one-shot deal cuz of the history of the series. The turnout in 2020 will be the same as it would be for UMass, UNH, Maine, etc... The novelty is gone.

There were fewer injuries than I expected today. That's good.

After the game, I overheard a group of purple-clad bozos talking about how happy they were that HC scored today. Praise the Lord that we didn't follow HC's lead 30 years ago.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby sader87 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:59 pm

You don't get it TRE.....it's college football....no one around here really cares if you beat Wake, Raleigh Community
College or UMass.....playing Holy Cross means something to the alumni of both schools.
sader87
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:11 am

sader87 {l Wrote}:You don't get it TRE.....it's college football....no one around here really cares if you beat Wake, Raleigh Community
College or UMass.....playing Holy Cross means something to the alumni of both schools.

as an alumnus of one of the schools, no it doesn’t

I’m glad you got your bc game boner. Please take it somewhere else becaus we’re done talking about it until is darkens our doorstep again in 2 years.

It wasn’t college football, it was a rev level pickup game after the first quarter.

Go away, we’re not interested
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:35 am

Things I know to be true about college football:
-Any FBS team that doesn’t take advantage of the opportunity to play a FCS school is dumb
-Holy Cross is the perfect FCS team for BC to play...see attendance numbers, aforementioned rationale by Sader87 and others, and the testimonials of people who actually were there today

Anyone who is complaining about this game being on the schedule is either dumb or trolling
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:49 am

If FCS games are going to happen I guess it might as well be holy cross given the turnout.

But as one who travels 2+ hours each way for every game these are a waste of my time and as such more often than not apple picking will win the day on this weekend (or traveling, hello from lambeau! Thinking next year SEC or Clemson again for a non bc game)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext