Week 2 Holy Cross

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Week 2 Holy Cross

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:05 pm

The Crusaders lost to Colgate in their opener. Could this possibly be uglier than the Howard game? Discuss:
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Re: Week 2 Holy Cross

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:53 pm

I think the defense is going to be "challenged" to "pitch a shut out." That is what I would focus on all week if I was the defensive coordinator. We are not going to get any good information about BC's offense in this game. But we are going to get valuable information telling us if the young'uns are tough enough and athletic enough to keep Holy Cross off the board for the entire game.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:56 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The Crusaders lost to Colgate in their opener. Could this possibly be uglier than the Howard game? Discuss:

I think the Howard game was more about "confidence building" for a team that the coaching staff may have already knew, sucked. That was a real suck year, 2015. So in an effort to build confidence, they got over-confident and the whole season was shot to hell when Wade got hurt vs FSU. I don't think that will happen this time. But I do think the team shuts them out.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby sader87 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 pm

The game will be a complete mismatch in terms of talent on both squads. That being said, I think Addazio will take it easy on the Saders as he reportedly has some history of this rivalry and wouldn't want to tarnish that too badly.

HC is a fairly young squad with a new, energetic head coach....they could have completely quit last week at Colgate trailing 24-0 at the H but put up a spirited comeback in losing 24-17.

It will be a fun afternoon of nostalgia but this will be a glorified scrimmage....BC something like 42-10.
sader87
n00b

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:The Crusaders lost to Colgate in their opener. Could this possibly be uglier than the Howard game? Discuss:

Sagarin has Holy Cross worse than both Howard and Duquesne. This is going to be really bad.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Holy Cross has like 30 fresham on the team too. I think BC pulls all the starters at the half. Pushes the shutout, but tried to let them keep it respectable. 42-3.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:58 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Holy Cross has like 30 fresham on the team too. I think BC pulls all the starters at the half. Pushes the shutout, but tried to let them keep it respectable. 42-3.

The problem is I don't think putting in the backups is going to make much of a dent in the competitiveness. Those kids are going to be hungry.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:46 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... bwDXbnBWGk

Steve Addazio Weekly News Conference: Sept. 3, 2018

STEVE ADDAZIO: All right, guys. Appreciate you all coming out here on Labor Day. Week two, college football season. Excited to get going in week two, a chance to bring our team to 2-0, playing Holy Cross, a traditional rival game back in the day for Boston College. Certainly another geographical game where there's great fan interest. Speaking of which, I want to thank our fans and our students for their support last week. It was fantastic. We're looking for another great opportunity to see our fans and our students out again this week.

Holy Cross came off a game against Colgate last week. I've had a chance to interact with their head coach Bob Chesney, and I think just a really classy guy, did an unbelievable job here at Assumption, and I think is a heck of a football coach, so I know that he will have his team prepared. We're looking forward towards that match-up on Saturday.

I felt that our team improved in the areas that we really wanted to improve upon, and we want to continue to do that this week. I thought Anthony Brown came out and played with great confidence, which was a real important thing to see in week one for him. He ran the team well. He threw the ball well. He handled all the mental checks within the game and was a great leader on the field.

So I'm looking forward to his continued improvement as well as everybody else. I thought we played with effort, toughness and great demeanor on the field on Saturday.

We'll be in a situation this week back into a normal game routine. We met with them yesterday, covered the film, went out on the field. Today is a player day off, and tomorrow we'll resume our Tuesday practice of game week.

Any questions you have, I'll be happy to answer them.

Q. Just what you were saying about Anthony, kind of putting aside his athleticism, how is he as a field manager, managing a game?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Great. I mean, he handled everything. He didn't have any mistakes or miscues with any of the checks or getting -- he's helping people get lined up. I thought our tempo was good. We ran 57 plays in the first half. That's about as good as you're going to do. Second half we had a lot of disruption with substitutions that really wasn't relevant, but we had 57 plays in the first half. I thought we ran pretty efficiently and pretty effectively at a good pace.

Q. Did you give him a little license to call his own plays, too?
STEVE ADDAZIO: No, but I'm not sure that that's not something we'd be close to. I just don't think -- that's not where we are today. But certainly as he grows and matures, there's the possibility for those things. He does have some ability and opportunity to change some routes based off of coverages, and he's capable of that, but we're not really there right now, not yet.

Q. Question on the tight ends. You think of Tommy Swinney, but Ray Marten, Hunter Long, just talk about the backup tight ends.
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, we play with two on every snap, right, so on the field at any one time, there's going to be two, possibly three. But I thought all the tight ends contributed, and all of them did some really good things. Ray happened to have some nice catches, which was good for Ray, but they all had some stuff. Hunter Long had a ball, and I think Korab Idrizi had a ball and Ray and Garrison had a ball. It was a good day for the tight ends. But they're featured in our offense, so you're going to see them involved heavily all the time. That's not like a new phenomenon; that's who we are.

Q. The defense got after it pretty good last week, tackled pretty aggressively, hawking the ball in the secondary. How are you going to balance being aggressive versus trying to play a little bit further back and get into coverages as opposed to getting after it?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, I think at the end of the game, we were sort of backing them off a little bit, you know, just saying, hey, let's not get anybody behind us at the end of the game. But I think we're going to play aggressively. We have veteran safeties, a veteran corner, and they're competitive guys. We're going to be aggressive in everything we do. I think there's a time and place for each I guess is what I would say to that, yeah.

Q. You had four drives, 70 more yards on the offense for the first half. Is there almost a rhythm to that?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, there was on Saturday, and we'd like there to be continually like that. We all know that that's not always the case, especially in the league that we play and the defenses that we're going to see, but that's the plan, so to speak. The plan is to get 1st downs, get the defense on the field, and play in tempo and fatigue the defense and make them stay on the field with us and not substitute. That's the plan. And like I said, if you don't get a couple of 1st downs, sometimes that doesn't happen. That's why to me it's so critical -- I know it is for any offense. It's not like this is some phenomenon, but I think in our style, getting a couple of 1st downs is really significant for us because then we're moving pretty good. And if you're off the field, then you're putting your defense on the field pretty quickly.

You'd like to avoid that, but it's going to happen from time to time.

Q. What did you see out of Brandon Sebastian on Saturday? He had that (indiscernible) early, but he was able to rebound later in the game.
STEVE ADDAZIO: I mean, he's a young guy, and those are things that are going to happen. When you first -- you're coming out into a major college game, and no matter how talented you are, no matter how well-prepared you are for anybody, you see some different things happen on that field with guys that haven't played a lot before, and it's pretty common. It's like, oh, my God, how did that happen, what happened there? Like what? All of a sudden you don't see it in practice, all camp, and it just shows up. And I just think if you've played the game, you know that especially on big stages like that, stuff happens.

I'll never forget one time I was in the USFL, and I had a great preseason camp, so I remember the line coach said, listen, you're going to make this team. You're sure you need to play in this preseason game, blah blah blah, I'm like, yeah, I'm playing, are you kidding me. So I remember we were playing the Houston Gamblers in Jacksonville in the stadium -- I played at a small Division II school, and the stadium was just on fire. It was sold out. The Pointer Sisters were playing. I could hear pregame and the whole stadium was vibrating, right? And so I remember we had this meeting, and the line coach said -- it was a certain play we had; he said, listen, you can go through - I was on the offensive line - or you can go around to get him. I want you to go around. If you go through, you're on your own. What do I do in that game? For some reason I decide I'm going to go through the guy to get the linebacker. Well, I missed him, and he came up and he hit the back in the backfield. We don't score, it's all on TV, the whole thing. It's all my fault. And I say to myself, oh, this isn't good. Sure enough, I got cut on Monday.

I laugh to myself because -- what possessed me to do that? Honestly, I think it was like just the whole thing. It was big. You know, and I hadn't been in that environment before, and I just made a bad decision. That's a long story now, just to tell you that. It happens, okay. And it happened.

So that's why your goal is to get your young guys in the game with this new redshirt rule. You're giving guys a chance to get in the game, experience some of this stuff, so that later on when you need them or continually if you need them, they grow with that experience. There's no substitute for it. Sorry I just dribbled on.

Q. I know back there on media day you talked about how when you were in college playing, the BC-Holy Cross game was always a big event. Do you have any personal memories from that, things that stuck out?
STEVE ADDAZIO: I do. I can't give you specifics, but I can remember this as clear as a bell. We're driving up with a bunch of my buddies. We're going to go up to L.L. Bean, but our tradition was we'd stop and see BC play Holy Cross. This particular game was at Holy Cross. I think it was the game where Doug Flutie -- where he went and got the Heisman right after that game, I think. I'm not 100 percent sure about that. But I remember going into the stadium at Holy Cross, and to me, it was like -- it may have been, may not have been, but to me it was this like huge big-time college football environment. It was a cold fall day and everything smelled of cigar smoke, the hot dogs, the whole bit. We'd go in there like wow, this is awesome, and go watch that game. It was big-time, Northeast New England college football. It was fun. You know, so we -- a couple of different occasions we did that. I do remember that like -- being in Holy Cross stadium and actually feeling the cold and the whole bit and the game and the big-time atmosphere, I remember that very vividly.

Now, ask me about what year exactly that probably was -- what year did Doug get the Heisman? It was '80 what? '84? So it was pre-Doug then. This would have been like '81 maybe. This was probably '81. That's what I'd say. '80, '81, somewhere in there.

Q. Did you ever get a chance to see it when it was at Fenway Park up this way, too?
STEVE ADDAZIO: No, no. I remember being at Holy Cross seeing that game there, yeah.

Q. Because of the short week, are you doing any advance Wake stuff?
STEVE ADDAZIO: You know, we really try to do right now -- we've got to get our game plan solidified here for Holy Cross. I still have that mindset of -- and I think it's important, that we're playing a traditional rival game. We're playing a really good football program. We need to get better. We need to improve. There's areas we need to focus on. Players and coaches all have to be focused right now on Holy Cross. It's all hands on deck.

College football is a funny deal, man; it's really hard to execute at a high level and win a major college football game. There's a lot of different pieces and parts and different people's mentalities, and my job is to make sure that we're locked in, focused and prepared for this game at hand on Saturday, and that's what we're going to do, and then we're going to have to deal with what's next when we get there.

Q. Coming off that -- especially going up against an FCS opponent, what kind of things do you have to do to make sure they are focused?
STEVE ADDAZIO: Well, our guys -- the beauty of coaching at Boston College is you're dealing with some really mature young guys that -- young men that I think totally understand that it's a one-game-at-a-time mentality. The most improvement your team has to make is really within the first few weeks of your season, and how critically important it is to address the areas that we needed to improve upon from last Saturday.

So like when you deal with really mature, bright young guys like that, they get that. I mean, they understand that intellectually. You know, we don't have the kind -- we don't have big ego guys. So our guys are going to be really drilled and locked into what do I need to do as an individual, what do we need to do as a team to get better, because you're in a footrace to get better in the early part of the season, and I think they totally get and understand that.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:19 pm

This is probably the weakest team we've played since the D1A-D1AA split in the 80s (only Howard comes close). I sincerely wonder if HC has a single player that could even make the 3-deep at BC. I'm expecting these guys to make UMass look like Clemson.

Clearly I don't see BC trying to run up the score, but it may happen by default--I don't see HC being able to stop even our 3rd and 4th stringers. No way to predict how many points we end up with but I think we get the shutout. If HC can get any points at all on the board it will be a massive plus for them.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Bring ambulances.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 pm

If the game gets out of hand in the 1st half go to 10 minute quarters like what was done in the Howard game. Or even 8 minute quarters.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby sader87 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 pm

If BC wanted to, they could probably win 70-0....that being said, it's not like the HC kids are completely chopped liver...they are scholarship football players, some of whom eschewed FBS offers to play at Holy Cross. The problem is is that we held on to the last head coach too long and now the rebuilding process has begun this season instead of a few years ago.

HC football has been down for about 25 years now....we only started giving scholarships once again 5 years ago...it's hoped that under the new coach Chesney, the attraction of our new indoorfacilities, improvement in our scheduling etc that we can approach where we were in the 1980s when we last played schools like BC.

This year's game will be a joke...it's hoped that by the next time we play in 2020, the gap won't be quite so acute.
sader87
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:22 pm

sader87 {l Wrote}:If BC wanted to, they could probably win 70-0....that being said, it's not like the HC kids are completely chopped liver...they are scholarship football players, some of whom eschewed FBS offers to play at Holy Cross. The problem is is that we held on to the last head coach too long and now the rebuilding process has begun this season instead of a few years ago.

HC football has been down for about 25 years now....we only started giving scholarships once again 5 years ago...it's hoped that under the new coach Chesney, the attraction of our new indoorfacilities, improvement in our scheduling etc that we can approach where we were in the 1980s when we last played schools like BC.

This year's game will be a joke...it's hoped that by the next time we play in 2020, the gap won't be quite so acute.

Chopped liver is insulted. This game should never happen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:13 am

There's not enough E coli-ridden Chipotle in Boston for us to lose to Holy Cross this year
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
sader87 {l Wrote}:If BC wanted to, they could probably win 70-0....that being said, it's not like the HC kids are completely chopped liver...they are scholarship football players, some of whom eschewed FBS offers to play at Holy Cross. The problem is is that we held on to the last head coach too long and now the rebuilding process has begun this season instead of a few years ago.

These games are stupid every year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

These games are stupid every year

Agree, this game should have never been scheduled. Is Bates or Jarmond responsible for this?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:30 am

in other news, temple lost to villanova this weekend.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby basselope on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:in other news, temple lost to villanova this weekend.

As did Kansas 23 to Nicholls State 26
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Word is HC sold 8000 tix for the game. They've made it into a major alumni event.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Holy Cross has made this a big event. Through social media and mailers, they wanted lots of their Boston alumni to come out to the game.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Word is HC sold 8000 tix for the game. They've made it into a major alumni event.

you boston locals need to accept this challenge as the main reason to reinstate the pony riding tradition. i better be reading about emaciated crusader corpses at the end of eagle weeners at some point on saturday night/sunday morning
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bring ambulances.

This. It's going to be uncomfortable to watch like the Howard game was.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Word is HC sold 8000 tix for the game. They've made it into a major alumni event.

Might be more HC fans there than BC. These FCS games are horribly attended
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:57 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Uncomfortable is a good word to describe what it was like as a BC fan watching that game. That Howard team had zero interest in playing football that day and could not wait for the game to end. I think the HC kids put in a little more of an effort.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:24 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Uncomfortable is a good word to describe what it was like as a BC fan watching that game. That Howard team had zero interest in playing football that day and could not wait for the game to end. I think the HC kids put in a little more of an effort.

Im not sure effort has much to do with it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 am

I just watched the ACC highlight video of the Howard game and it's even worse than I remember. Maybe half the time any Howard player actually got a hand on the BC player going for a first half TD. All of the TDs looked easier than any in the the spring game.
Colgate scored 7 against syracuse and by the line score only let HC into their game in garbage time.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby sader87 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:08 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I just watched the ACC highlight video of the Howard game and it's even worse than I remember. Maybe half the time any Howard player actually got a hand on the BC player going for a first half TD. All of the TDs looked easier than any in the the spring game.
Colgate scored 7 against syracuse and by the line score only let HC into their game in garbage time.

Not that it matters, but HC actually almost pulled out the Colgate game last week. Closed the score to 24-17 with 6 minutes left in the game and Colgate needed to convert a couple of 3rd&longs to keep their drive going, which alas they did, and ran out the clock to end the game. Again, provided just for context.

One difference between the Howard-BC game of a few years ago and the HC game Saturday is that the HC kids (and their alumni/fans) are really looking forward to competing in this game. They won't "mail in" their performance.

Again, not implying that this will be a "competitive game" but I highly doubt it will be the farce that the Howard game was.
sader87
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:23 pm

sader87 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I just watched the ACC highlight video of the Howard game and it's even worse than I remember. Maybe half the time any Howard player actually got a hand on the BC player going for a first half TD. All of the TDs looked easier than any in the the spring game.

Not that it matters, but HC actually almost pulled out the Colgate game last week. Closed the score to 24-17 with 6 minutes left in the game and Colgate needed to convert a couple of 3rd&longs to keep their drive going, which alas they did, and ran out the clock to end the game. Again, provided just for context.

One difference between the Howard-BC game of a few years ago and the HC game Saturday is that the HC kids (and their alumni/fans) are really looking forward to competing in this game. They won't "mail in" their performance.

Again, not implying that this will be a "competitive game" but I highly doubt it will be the farce that the Howard game was.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/73e806cd-4c67-4696-a63a-a69e9643650a
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:28 pm

Thanks Sader, I was just going by the line score and assumed too much. I'm not trying to dump on HC -- I think I'm like most BC fans and just projecting all the uncompetitive FBS games we've had the past decade (only Nova was competitive, in 2013) and adding to the fact we feel BC should be pretty damn good and not expecting much of a game.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 pm

i know this article comes from a fairly biased bc alumnus source, but i thought it was a humorous description basically pointing out that the only way holy cross would score was if they scored on themselves (i.e. safety)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/coll ... story.html
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium