2018 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 BC Football

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:14 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Put up big points in primetime on a Thursday night on the road against Wake and I bet we get 20-25.

I guess. I wanna be optimistic, too, but this is Daz we're talking about here.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Iggle on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:47 pm

I like Bill Connelly and his computer rankings and BC jumped up 23 spots and is at #24 in this week's S&P+ rankings: https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... 018-week-2
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:47 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:BC is at 25 in Sagarin and 26 in Massey. Will be interesting to see what week they break through in the AP poll.

Put up big points in primetime on a Thursday night on the road against Wake and I bet we get 20-25.

BC will be ranked when we play Wake because the game is on ESPN
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:03 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:BC is at 25 in Sagarin and 26 in Massey. Will be interesting to see what week they break through in the AP poll.

Could be as early as this weekend if BC takes care of business and enough teams lose above us. Some possible candidates:

#25 Florida vs Kentucky
    #24 South Carolina @ #3 Georgia
    #21 Michigan vs Western Michigan
    #18 Mississippi State @ Kansas State
    #15 TCU @ SMU (Friday Night)
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 am

Feel like beating Holy Cross gets you zero consideration from voters no matter what happens in front of you.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Los on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:33 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Feel like beating Holy Cross gets you zero consideration from voters no matter what happens in front of you.

It's not that BC would get consideration, it's that those teams have no place to go but down. If they lose they're not going to stay where they are. By default, BC will move up to fill those spots.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am

There's no default. It's not a queue. Voters can look to the "others" bucket and find someone that they think has proven it more than thumping Holy Cross and give them votes.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 am

Los {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Feel like beating Holy Cross gets you zero consideration from voters no matter what happens in front of you.

It's not that BC would get consideration, it's that those teams have no place to go but down. If they lose they're not going to stay where they are. By default, BC will move up to fill those spots.

Or a team that is just behind BC and is not on a bye looks impressive and moves up instead. Say NW beats Duke or vice versa in the coaches poll. Maybe A&M beats Clemson. Ole Miss and Maryland are both likely to curbstomp much better teams than Holy Cross. Leapfrogging is definitely possible this time of year, when voters might assume they misjudged a team and overreact.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

Or a team that is just behind BC and is not on a bye looks impressive and moves up instead. Say NW beats Duke or vice versa in the coaches poll. Maybe A&M beats Clemson. Ole Miss and Maryland are both likely to curbstomp much better teams than Holy Cross. Leapfrogging is definitely possible this time of year, when voters might assume they misjudged a team and overreact.

This assumes voters put much though into it. its well proven that the coaches don't.
putting a whipping on HC will be enough to move us up if other teams lose.
of course, this time of year many teams are playing cupcakes too which makes it tough.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

This assumes voters put much though into it. its well proven that the coaches don't.
of course, this time of year many teams are playing cupcakes too which makes it tough.

This.
I'm not saying it's a done deal that BC would move up, just that if it were to happen those are the most likely teams to give up spots. Thus, other teams would have to fill in those spots. Already on the cusp of being ranked, it's not crazy to think that BC would be one of the teams to move up -- all things being equal, of course.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Los {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

This.
I'm not saying it's a done deal that BC would move up, just that if it were to happen those are the most likely teams to give up spots. Thus, other teams would have to fill in those spots. Already on the cusp of being ranked, it's not crazy to think that BC would be one of the teams to move up -- all things being equal, of course.

All things are not equal, starting with BC playing Holy Cross.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Los on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:This.

Which is exactly why I said "could happen" not "would happen". South Carolina and Florida were both unranked last week and slid into the polls after beating the mighty Coastal Carolina Chanticleers and the powerhouse Charleston Southern Buccaneers. It's just how this shit works.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:

This.

All the coaches are going to say before voting is this:

1) wtf is holy cross? oh, it's an FCS.
2) Did BC destroy them? ok, they can move up.

The guy submitting these things are not rocket scientists whatsoever and I don't think they give the whole ballot more than 5 mins thought each week.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:48 pm

Yeah, that's not really how it works.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, that's not really how it works.

easier to just say "shut up, hansen"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Los on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:23 pm

It’s not how it should work, but it’s certainly how it does work. Plenty of examples to back that up.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Are you saying BC will not move up in the rankings if a team ahead of them loses and BC blows out HC?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:58 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Are you saying BC will not move up in the rankings if a team ahead of them loses and BC blows out HC?

I'm saying it is just as likely a team near them that plays this week leapfrogs BC because they are on a bye. The Duke/Northwestern game seems a likely candidate. Thinking that teams move up the polls in lock step when teams lose is pretty dumb. It pretty much didn't happen last week in a number of examples, like VT vaulting a ton of teams.

It's early. The pollsters are all over the place and no one is going to think BC is more of a top 25 team now because they beat UMass and Holy Cross. In fact, a lot of pollsters won't put them ahead of a ranked team that loses to a ranked team until they actually show something. Later in the year, when pollsters pretty much know what the teams are, it will be more lock step.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:16 pm

Really enjoyed Toto's Africa today. A strong addition to the band's repetitor.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 pm

This game was a waste of time. A hard practice with 1s vs. 1s would have been more beneficial. Two games into the season without any meaningful competition or meaningful minutes for the first offense.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:This game was a waste of time. A hard practice with 1s vs. 1s would have been more beneficial. Two games into the season without any meaningful competition or meaningful minutes for the first offense.

Good

No injuries and a fresh team for the games that matter... and we’re 2-0

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 am

zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:philly... if you’re going to the Thursday night game, please let me know what section you’ll be in so that I don’t get thrown up on or passed out into

will you be in the campgrounds of rolly clown college?

as of today that is undetermined, but i should know for certain this week

fag tag - yes, i will be at the rcc game as well as the wake game this year.

do not approach me as i pretty much can't stand any of you assholes and i don't need my wife giving me shit about what a bunch of 'mos i waste my time with online

I'll be at Wake as well, unfortunately this time I have to drive back to Charlotte immediately after the game so I won't have a handle of Jim Beam. I may or may not be shirtless and my buddy who promised to streak if we got a pick 6 on the next play in 2008 and then welched when Herzy did just that will also be in attendance. As this is the 10-year anniversary of that fateful night I will do my best to convince him to make up for it
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:20 pm

S&P now has us favored to win every game except Clemson. It's gives us a 20% chance of opening 9-0...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:25 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

S&P now has us favored to win every game except Clemson. It's gives us a 20% chance of opening 9-0...

And Clempson looked very beatable last night (and should have lost). Their WRs against our DBs worry me, otherwise, they looked like a team that we can (but not should) beat.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

And Clempson looked very beatable last night (and should have lost). Their WRs against our DBs worry me, otherwise, they looked like a team that we can (but not should) beat.

60% chance of 10 wins. 10-2.....
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:20 pm

S&P? what's their criteria? i'll admit, i only look for AP and Coaches Polls.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:41 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:philly... if you’re going to the Thursday night game, please let me know what section you’ll be in so that I don’t get thrown up on or passed out into

will you be in the campgrounds of rolly clown college?

as of today that is undetermined, but i should know for certain this week

fag tag - yes, i will be at the rcc game as well as the wake game this year.

do not approach me as i pretty much can't stand any of you assholes and i don't need my wife giving me shit about what a bunch of 'mos i waste my time with online

I'll be at Wake as well, unfortunately this time I have to drive back to Charlotte immediately after the game so I won't have a handle of Jim Beam. I may or may not be shirtless and my buddy who promised to streak if we got a pick 6 on the next play in 2008 and then welched when Herzy did just that will also be in attendance. As this is the 10-year anniversary of that fateful night I will do my best to convince him to make up for it

I appreciate the offer, but I’m not sitting in the visitor section thursday
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

bc would lose badly to aTm much like they will lose badly in hoopsketball in December in college station

p&s I’ll be at the basketball game, but I won’t commit to who’s maroon I’ll be wearing... gig’em aggies
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:44 pm

I think the offense is going to come crashing down to earth once they play team with decent athletes on D. Our two yard out passes to a TE with a neck roll aren't going to cut it against VT and Clemson.
flakes
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium