2018 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 BC Football

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Brown needs to be more accurate against better secondaries. The Glines throw was the best, and the long third down sideline pass to Smith. But the others, including the Sweeney throw, were off target to wide open guys. When Clemson doesn't need to put 11 in the box to stop Dillon, those throws will need to be better.

That said Brown is clearly good enough to beat most opponents if Dillon is healthy. Bitching about whether he's accurate enough to beat Clemson is a good thing.

I laughed when I saw Orlovsky in the booth for yesterday's game. I still remember all the delusional UCONN fans thinking Orlovsky was going to beat BC back when we started playing them after BCU became traders and left the Big East. That guy has made quite a living as an NFL backup and now on TV. I actually thought he was pretty good on the call yesterday, and he made a good point about the throw to Sweeney being put in the right spot to ensure the defender couldn't make a play on it. Now, whether or not that was intentional by Brown is the question. I'm not so sure it was...

That might have been good commentary had there been a receiver within 20 yards of him. He was talking about the underneath guy in the zone, but he wasn't anywhere close. I'll agree that would have been a sick throw against tight coverage, like the one to Glines, but with no one in the area code, there's no reason to take a chance with OB.

this. he still overthrew it enough times (on wide open receivers) to make me nervous for future games where the opponent has a defense. even that midget eepstein could have completed some of the passes that we missed
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Brown needs to be more accurate against better secondaries. The Glines throw was the best, and the long third down sideline pass to Smith. But the others, including the Sweeney throw, were off target to wide open guys. When Clemson doesn't need to put 11 in the box to stop Dillon, those throws will need to be better.

That said Brown is clearly good enough to beat most opponents if Dillon is healthy. Bitching about whether he's accurate enough to beat Clemson is a good thing.

I laughed when I saw Orlovsky in the booth for yesterday's game. I still remember all the delusional UCONN fans thinking Orlovsky was going to beat BC back when we started playing them after BCU became traders and left the Big East. That guy has made quite a living as an NFL backup and now on TV. I actually thought he was pretty good on the call yesterday, and he made a good point about the throw to Sweeney being put in the right spot to ensure the defender couldn't make a play on it. Now, whether or not that was intentional by Brown is the question. I'm not so sure it was...

That might have been good commentary had there been a receiver within 20 yards of him. He was talking about the underneath guy in the zone, but he wasn't anywhere close. I'll agree that would have been a sick throw against tight coverage, like the one to Glines, but with no one in the area code, there's no reason to take a chance with OB.

this. he still overthrew it enough times (on wide open receivers) to make me nervous for future games where the opponent has a defense. even that midget eepstein could have completed some of the passes that we missed

He’s only started what 13 games at most? Playing significant snap in what only really 11 of those games?
He is not very accurate yet.. but he’s good enough to beat most teams.
If he continues to improve in the coming weeks, we have a shot at every team on this schedule assuming our STs get its shit together.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Still so many if's, but it really is remarkable just how perfectly tailor made the schedule is for this young, but talented BC team to have a dream year.

1) UMass - Pre-season warmup to get Brown's rust out and build confidence.
2) Holy Cross - Ditto
3) @ Wake - Easiest ACC road game to get the team serious.
4) @ Purdue - Winnable P5 on the road, building confidence.
5) Temple - Rest week and hopefully 5-0
6) @ NCST - Practice for Lane Stadium! NCST has a path to 5-0 too. We can beat them, but the young players will get a taste of living up to big expectations in a hostile environment.
7) Louisville - Easiest ACC home game for 7-0?
8) BYE - Perfect, perfect, perfect time before playing the 4 toughest teams on the schedule
9) Miami -
10) @ VT -
11) Clemson -
12) @ FSU -
13) Syracuse -

If you were to have dreamed up a most favorable schedule for BC to make a run at a perfect season (with the young personnel we have), I think this is it. Lots of if's...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this. he still overthrew it enough times (on wide open receivers) to make me nervous for future games where the opponent has a defense. even that midget eepstein could have completed some of the passes that we missed

If his performance made you nervous, you're a fucking pussy. He is balling out against ACC competition as a Sophmore. 5 TD's and no INT's, first time since Flutie.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:this. he still overthrew it enough times (on wide open receivers) to make me nervous for future games where the opponent has a defense. even that midget eepstein could have completed some of the passes that we missed

If his performance made you nervous, you're a fucking pussy. He is balling out against ACC competition as a Sophmore. 5 TD's and no INT's, first time since Flutie.

oh
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

oh

Question for you. Does Wake charge admission for those seats on the grassy knoll behind the end zone where the fans have to sit on the grass? If so, I find this unsettling.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:36 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

oh

Question for you. Does Wake charge admission for those seats on the grassy knoll behind the end zone where the fans have to sit on the grass? If so, I find this unsettling.

they do. it's a general admission seat (i was going to say "ga" but knew hansen would get excited and try to get tickets for the wake/domer game next week) that is typically sold out as season tickets. it's intended as a "family" section, and the season ticket you're buying is 2 adults and 2 kids. it's a cheap ticket, which makes sense since you are sitting on a blanket and getting tripped over by peckerhead kids
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Iggle on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 pm

zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

#25 in Coaches
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Well, we now have a target on our back.
Worried about this Purdue game even though Sagarin has us winning by 10.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Well, we now have a target on our back.

It's a very Dazzable game, yes.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:27 pm

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Well, we now have a target on our back.

Wake would beat Purdue by 39
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am

temple is the old nooner, parents will be able to keep their 7 pm reservations at the capital grill
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:31 pm

BC is now 200/1 odds to win national championship. Anybody know if there are odds somewhere on BC making the playoffs? Asking for a friend.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:temple is the old nooner, parents will be able to keep their 7 pm reservations at the capital grill

Prime TV slot though considering we’re playing Temple
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:BC is now 200/1 odds to win national championship. Anybody know if there are odds somewhere on BC making the playoffs? Asking for a friend.

better than the usual 100000/1 that it always feels like since Matt Ryan was here.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:BC is now 200/1 odds to win national championship. Anybody know if there are odds somewhere on BC making the playoffs? Asking for a friend.

I bet them to win the conference at 500 to 1, I feel like I got a bargain now.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:51 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

I bet them to win the conference at 500 to 1, I feel like I got a bargain now.

Solid work. Wish I got in on those odds.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:

hey Tom, how’s it going today? I’m not doing so well because I’m watching this purdue game. I guess it’s because I’m a pussy that brown is playing so well.

Your pal,

tre (rhymes with “I don’t even like sports but could see the flaws in this kid’s game”)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Going into the bye week we are, unfortunately, exactly where I thought we would be at 5-2. It is too bad as this is one of the weakest schedules I can remember and besides losing our best player, we have been very healthy.
I had high hopes for the offense but the reality is that as long as we are running the "Daz offense", this is what we can expect. Brown's accuracy and decision making hasn't improved and he is reluctant to run. AJD should be back for Miami.
The defense is really surprising. Why is it so much worse than last season? Yes, we lost 2 NFL corners but not much else (Landry hardly played last season). Karafa is lean for a DT. The LBs have been terrible. I would like to see Strachan moved back to OLB and Lamont & Richardson at MLB. We are really thin at CB but Cheevers is very good.
Hopefully Clemson gets the 3:30 slot.

Go Eagles!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:56 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Going into the bye week we are, unfortunately, exactly where I thought we would be at 5-2. It is too bad as this is one of the weakest schedules I can remember and besides losing our best player, we have been very healthy.
I had high hopes for the offense but the reality is that as long as we are running the "Daz offense", this is what we can expect. Brown's accuracy and decision making hasn't improved and he is reluctant to run. AJD should be back for Miami.
The defense is really surprising. Why is it so much worse than last season? Yes, we lost 2 NFL corners but not much else (Landry hardly played last season). Karafa is lean for a DT. The LBs have been terrible. I would like to see Strachan moved back to OLB and Lamont & Richardson at MLB. We are really thin at CB but Cheevers is very good.

Go Eagles!

Unfortunately, Strachan seems like he never really recovered from all those injuries. He looked like he was going to be a hell of a player early in his career.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:39 pm

speaking of LBs, did something happen to Lamot? I feel like I've barely heard from him all year and he was pretty good last year. I thought he was going to be another stud LB.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 pm

I detest Steve Addazio. Detest. Wish he'd get offered something else and get the hell out of Chestnut Hill.

But I can't help but comment that we no more are the hapless bunch that Louisville is. You have to show up and play well to beat us. 5 years ago not the case.

Maybe damning with faint praise but I don't take being competent for granted and when you see a guy like Petrino running a program into the ground or plenty of other name coaches struggling greatly, I do appreciate that we at least don't suck anymore.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:I detest Steve Addazio. Detest. Wish he'd get offered something else and get the hell out of Chestnut Hill.

I think most of us want that, but its not likely to happen. I mean, who would want him? What has he proven, that he can recruit 5 straight recruiting classes that are dead last in the ACC by ranking and find a way to split the 8 ACC games with them? BFD. Every single person on this board can do his job (and would be willing to do it for one-tenth his salary.)

I fear we are stuck with this man until December of 2020. The BOT is not going to want to cut two checks for the same job. On the plus side, I think there is zero chance he gets another contract extension.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:05 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Going into the bye week we are, unfortunately, exactly where I thought we would be at 5-2. It is too bad as this is one of the weakest schedules I can remember and besides losing our best player, we have been very healthy.

Go Eagles!

it's weird we're over halfway through the season and i think the only thing i've learned is it crushed the idea that we can get enough talent to overcome daz being daz.

i would have zero problem moving on from reid at the end of this year and promoting camp. the D has not been good (in non cupcake games) and imagine what they would be without zach allen (and ray deserves a shoutout for rushing hte passer). yeah it's unfortunate about strachan. the LBs have been a huge disappointment and coming in i would've said they're our deepest position group.

daz said competing for championships in year 5, it's year 6 and he's got the schedule to control his destiny.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles!

it's weird we're over halfway through the season and i think the only thing i've learned is it crushed the idea that we can get enough talent to overcome daz being daz.

i would have zero problem moving on from reid at the end of this year and promoting camp. the D has not been good (in non cupcake games) and imagine what they would be without zach allen (and ray deserves a shoutout for rushing hte passer). yeah it's unfortunate about strachan. the LBs have been a huge disappointment and coming in i would've said they're our deepest position group.

daz said competing for championships in year 5, it's year 6 and he's got the schedule to control his destiny.

Agree Reid has to go... defense has been a disappointment.
Disagree that Daz cannot outrecrut his coaching. I think we are getting close to him doing it but it’s clear we still need to get a little better. E.g. If he pulled in a decent QB, it would “erase” a lot of mistakes in the play calling. No doubt in my mind.

Any chance PP gets let go this year from the Lions? I would take him back as DC in a second. He did wonders with the DL while here.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles!

Agree Reid has to go... defense has been a disappointment.
Disagree that Daz cannot outrecrut his coaching. I think we are getting close to him doing it but it’s clear we still need to get a little better. E.g. If he pulled in a decent QB, it would “erase” a lot of mistakes in the play calling. No doubt in my mind.

Any chance PP gets let go this year from the Lions? I would take him back as DC in a second. He did wonders with the DL while here.

Has Brown been told not to run or is he just afraid to do so? The threat of him taking off was one of his biggest weapons.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:24 am

2 mid season all americans according to pff

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/c ... rican-team

Zach Allen, Boston College
2018 Grade: 89.8

As for Zach Allen, he was a top-notch run stuffer last season, but he now has the No. 6 pass-rushing grade among edge defenders at 89.9 while tying for eighth in the nation with 32 pressures.

Hamp Cheevers, Boston College
2018 Grade: 88.5

Cheevers has similar numbers as he’s allowed just 16-of-40 targets to be completed into his coverage, breaking up four and intercepting another four, good for a passer rating against of only 20.3.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:25 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:I detest Steve Addazio. Detest. Wish he'd get offered something else and get the hell out of Chestnut Hill.

But I can't help but comment that we no more are the hapless bunch that Louisville is. You have to show up and play well to beat us. 5 years ago not the case.

Maybe damning with faint praise but I don't take being competent for granted and when you see a guy like Petrino running a program into the ground or plenty of other name coaches struggling greatly, I do appreciate that we at least don't suck anymore.

This. I feel we are back to where we were at the end of TOB. We are what we are. Daz is what he is. He is a coach that has done a very good job assembling excellent talent which he coaches down to 7-win seasons. While that is one win less than the 8-win seasons of TOB, I believe the Hen would have been similarly constrained by an enhanced schedule (see his time at NCS).

After this program being sunk to unprecedented lows under Spaz, I appreciate what Daz has done. But, I hold no visions of him being able to take the next step. What the program should do next is not a terribly easy decision. If there was a no-brainer hire, moving on from Daz would be less controversial. However, with no clear successor, I agree that it would be best if Daz found some stupid SEC school (like Vandy) to force the issue.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium