2018 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 BC Football

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 am

flakes {l Wrote}:I think the offense is going to come crashing down to earth once they play team with decent athletes on D. Our two yard out passes to a TE with a neck roll aren't going to cut it against VT and Clemson.

This is true, but BC has not done one designed run for Anthony Brown yet. While they won't be scoring 48 points in a half against any of the ACC teams, you will see different play calling and an offense that should look pretty good.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:33 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:I think the offense is going to come crashing down to earth once they play team with decent athletes on D. Our two yard out passes to a TE with a neck roll aren't going to cut it against VT and Clemson.

This is true, but BC has not done one designed run for Anthony Brown yet. While they won't be scoring 48 points in a half against any of the ACC teams, you will see different play calling and an offense that should look pretty good.

This. BC is not running plays against UMass and Holy Cross that give Wake tape.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

This. BC is not running plays against UMass and Holy Cross that give Wake tape.

I think this is a definite advantage for this Thursday's game.
Our starters have barely played and even then it was silly plays like Dillon on a HB tackle or Sweeney on a fly route. Basic high school plays where we just relied on our stars to break a tackle and make something happen. What film does Wake even have? I guess they can look to the end of last year but hopefully Loeffler and Dazzler have drawn up some new ones since then.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Los on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 am

The playcalling the last two weeks has been as vanilla as it gets. Did we even run play action once against UMass or HC?
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:04 am

I am of the feeling that Brown could've used more reps. I also have a theory that Daz doesn't know what he's doing with QBs and am afraid that he'll give Brown a short leash and turn to Perry or MacDonald based off of HC game performance and it'll trip us up somehow.

This is not founded on anything, but I think it's how a mediocre in-game coach gets us to .500 like he's going to do this year.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am

Addazio's an idiot, but he went all in on Brown as the starter and probably just recruited over Perry and McDonald. I don't think he has any intention of them starting, short of injury, which is a good thing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Addazio's an idiot, but he went all in on Brown as the starter and probably just recruited over Perry and McDonald. I don't think he has any intention of them starting, short of injury, which is a good thing.

Granted it was only HC, but Perry looked way more skilled than I originally thought he was. McDonald looked decent as well.
We would be screwed with a Brown injury but nowhere near as bad as it would have been in previous years.
These guys have some talent.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I am of the feeling that Brown could've used more reps. I also have a theory that Daz doesn't know what he's doing with QBs and am afraid that he'll give Brown a short leash and turn to Perry or MacDonald based off of HC game performance and it'll trip us up somehow.

This is not founded on anything, but I think it's how a mediocre in-game coach gets us to .500 like he's going to do this year.

It is founded on the well-established theory of "Stupid is as stupid does."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Addazio's an idiot, but he went all in on Brown as the starter and probably just recruited over Perry and McDonald. I don't think he has any intention of them starting, short of injury, which is a good thing.

Granted it was only HC, but Perry looked way more skilled than I originally thought he was. McDonald looked decent as well.
We would be screwed with a Brown injury but nowhere near as bad as it would have been in previous years.

See? Hansen's doing it and he is most likely smarter or at least less concussed than Addazio
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

See? Hansen's doing it and he is most likely smarter or at least less concussed than Addazio

so when nospace opines similarly on this, does that make it fact? i only ask because this sounds like a very nospacian position
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

In the battle of best QB to play against a high school team, McDonald was the victor. Perry was okay.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

so when nospace opines similarly on this, does that make it fact? i only ask because this sounds like a very nospacian position

I thought nospace believed Dillion was our only TALENT because he had 4 stars and we outrecruited Harbaugh for him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

In the battle of best QB to play against a high school team, McDonald was the victor. Perry was okay.

that TD ball McDonald threw where he was getting sandwiched between 2 HC defenders was good stuff.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:19 am

As has been said, this is based on absolutely nothing. Our offense looked good against teams with "decent athletes on D" at the end of last year, and the offense has only gotten better and more experienced since last year.

And while we haven't even seen what the full scheme is. Daz admitted after Holy Cross that he cares more about what the 1st team offense is doing against the 1st team defense in practice more than he cares about how it did in the first two games. We can make some assumptions about what the offense will look like:

1) A whole lot of AJ Dillon, presumably behind some stacked offensive lines with a very talented and experienced OL and some big TE's. That's dangerous.

2) Lot's of play action to both the TE's and Dillon out of the back field. Also, Daz mentioned that we'll see sets with upwards of 3 TE's. That's an 8 man line who can all block really well for Dillon, but also with 3 TE's capable of peeling off blocks and running down field, causing match-up nightmares for defenses, including Clemson who looked weak in the secondary this weekend. That's dangerous.

3) Deep balls. We've spent a lot of time in the first two weeks taking shots to the WR's down field and we know at least Kobay White matches up against better talent. That's dangerous, especially if team's try to leave a lot of 1-on-1 outside to collapse on the 8 man fronts.

4) Brown looks comfortable. Yet to be seen whether he still has the scrambling ability as last year, but he's shown poise and good decision making. And the backups have looked competent. That's reassuring.

It doesn't matter if we actually played high school teams, this is still the most balanced and talented offense we've seen since 2007. And they're also rested. And I hope Daz continues resting them. I hope Wake and Purdue are as bad as they've looked in the first two weeks and that we don't need any of the offensive stars to play a full 4Q until Week 6, because while we're talented, we're not deep at every position, so being well rested against garbage teams also makes us dangerous.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am

I agree with your primary point walrus, but let's put the cart before the horse on Brown until we see how accurate he is against ACC defenders. From what I have seen, I think he will be fine, but there is no reason to state it with authority at this point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:let's put the cart before the horse on Brown until we see how accurate he is against ACC defenders. From what I have seen, I think he will be fine, but there is no reason to state it with authority at this point.

I think you will be seeing a UVA/Umass-like defensive scheme from Wake. They will have all 11 in the box committed to stopping Dillon. They are going to force AB to beat them throwing the ball. Given the weather and AB's accuracy concerns, it would be a pretty solid strategy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:let's put the cart before the horse on Brown until we see how accurate he is against ACC defenders. From what I have seen, I think he will be fine, but there is no reason to state it with authority at this point.

I think you will be seeing a UVA/Umass-like defensive scheme from Wake. They will have all 11 in the box committed to stopping Dillon. They are going to force AB to beat them throwing the ball. Given the weather and AB's accuracy concerns, it would be a pretty solid strategy.

1) I don't think even 11 guys in the box can stop Dillon and our OL. maybe slow him down but he is going to be fresh and ready to ball out for big yards. I think it will make a huge difference.
2) if they were to put 11 in the box, then eventually Brown will connect on play action for a big gain. he's def improved his accuracy on the deep balls.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:43 pm

during the condensed game highlights, finally got to see a little bit of David Bailey. aside from the turnover, i liked what i saw from him and the rest of the RB corps. also Perry, his arm didn't look bad at all.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:25 pm

I think Brown is good enough to take advantage when the opportunity presents itself. I don't think he's a top QB, but with Dillon and the OL he doesn't need to be. I also feel better with Perry/McDonald down the depth chart than I have for a while.

Daz has pretty clearly upgraded the talent on the roster, but you just know he's going to lose 2 close games he should win
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:02 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

If you say so Hansen, but on this one thing I am with Teddy.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Just out of curiousity, what type of techniques are utilized by the OLine to be so cotdamned nasty up front? Saw this twitter thread and was amazed by literally all of the intricacies of the battles in the trenches:

https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status ... 2153511936
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am

Anthony Brown can make the throws. That play action TD to Sweeney in the corner was a beauty. Run D and special teams need correction. Wake's run game relied on patience and BC was overshooting their assignments to get to the QB; it's fixable.

Now a long week to address these issues, tighten them up. Still worried about the punt game and I think they will lose a heart breaker at some point this season when it comes down to field goals but this team is going to be pretty damn good.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

schedule really broke favorably

if we play the way we played last night over the next two weeks, we will win each game by 2+ TDs (prob also good enough to beat NCSU), setting up for a top 15 ranking and a home game vs ville

obviously, the hope is that we get better over that time.

this team has the talent to win every game on the schedule - i dont like him - but that is a credit to dazoo.

reality is we will likely only be more than a 3 pt underdog in 2 games: @VT and clemson

coaching & strategy will be the difference between 8 wins and 10+ this year. still see some stuff that concerns me in game management. but i do agree with the sentiment: there will only be 3ish teams we play this season better than wake
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 am

the talent at the skill positions (both O & D) is as high as i can remember in my time watching BC.

safe to say the days of the safeties that run like LBs or the slow plodding wrs are over.

they might not have the recruiting rankings that jump off (ex: cheevers only other p5 offer was kansas) but there's no question there's NFL level talent esp on D
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 am

Brown needs to be more accurate against better secondaries. The Glines throw was the best, and the long third down sideline pass to Smith. But the others, including the Sweeney throw, were off target to wide open guys. When Clemson doesn't need to put 11 in the box to stop Dillon, those throws will need to be better.

That said Brown is clearly good enough to beat most opponents if Dillon is healthy. Bitching about whether he's accurate enough to beat Clemson is a good thing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 am

^ and not that it needs to be said, but cant afford to be outplayed on the ST front against VT or clemson. have to at minimum break even to win those games
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Brown needs to be more accurate against better secondaries. The Glines throw was the best, and the long third down sideline pass to Smith. But the others, including the Sweeney throw, were off target to wide open guys. When Clemson doesn't need to put 11 in the box to stop Dillon, those throws will need to be better.

That said Brown is clearly good enough to beat most opponents if Dillon is healthy. Bitching about whether he's accurate enough to beat Clemson is a good thing.

I laughed when I saw Orlovsky in the booth for yesterday's game. I still remember all the delusional UCONN fans thinking Orlovsky was going to beat BC back when we started playing them after BCU became traders and left the Big East. That guy has made quite a living as an NFL backup and now on TV. I actually thought he was pretty good on the call yesterday, and he made a good point about the throw to Sweeney being put in the right spot to ensure the defender couldn't make a play on it. Now, whether or not that was intentional by Brown is the question. I'm not so sure it was...
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Brown needs to be more accurate against better secondaries. The Glines throw was the best, and the long third down sideline pass to Smith. But the others, including the Sweeney throw, were off target to wide open guys. When Clemson doesn't need to put 11 in the box to stop Dillon, those throws will need to be better.

I laughed when I saw Orlovsky in the booth for yesterday's game. I still remember all the delusional UCONN fans thinking Orlovsky was going to beat BC back when we started playing them after BCU became traders and left the Big East. That guy has made quite a living as an NFL backup and now on TV. I actually thought he was pretty good on the call yesterday, and he made a good point about the throw to Sweeney being put in the right spot to ensure the defender couldn't make a play on it. Now, whether or not that was intentional by Brown is the question. I'm not so sure it was...

That might have been good commentary had there been a receiver within 20 yards of him. He was talking about the underneath guy in the zone, but he wasn't anywhere close. I'll agree that would have been a sick throw against tight coverage, like the one to Glines, but with no one in the area code, there's no reason to take a chance with OB.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:50 am

Ah when you asked if it was he UCOnn an I thought you were talking about the one that got fired from the trump admin for having large enough gambling debts to be a security risk
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium