Must-see/do on gameday

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Must-see/do on gameday

Postby Brooklyneagle on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:you also might have some luck asking your question at the bcinterruption site https://www.bcinterruption.com/ (don't worry loyal degenerates, i did not meatbomb him on his first visit)

one of their moderators/administrators is a band alumni so he may have a bead on what they do and when/how they do it. ask for tubasteak. my only warning is that i don't think he imbibes in adult beverages himself, but he likely knows about those that do

With all due respect: it's "alumnus" (singular) and "alumni" (plural). In my day ('65), if you went to Holy Cross, Latin was still a required course (I think), along with compulsory daily mass. I'm guessing BC dropped the Latin requirement some time in the 50's, though in my freshman year you still had compulsory mass twice a week for all years, fortunately dropped for good the following year.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:you also might have some luck asking your question at the bcinterruption site https://www.bcinterruption.com/ (don't worry loyal degenerates, i did not meatbomb him on his first visit)

one of their moderators/administrators is a band alumni so he may have a bead on what they do and when/how they do it. ask for tubasteak. my only warning is that i don't think he imbibes in adult beverages himself, but he likely knows about those that do

With all due respect: it's "alumnus" (singular) and "alumni" (plural). In my day ('65), if you went to Holy Cross, Latin was still a required course (I think), along with compulsory daily mass. I'm guessing BC dropped the Latin requirement some time in the 50's, though in my freshman year you still had compulsory mass twice a week for all years, fortunately dropped for good the following year.

Sunday and ?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:05 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:

i was referring to tubasteak and his wife (plural)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:20 am

The Best Tailgate tradition is the "riding of the pony" through the tailgate.

There is a Catholic cemetery next to Campus. The students have figured out which of the previously living are Notre Dame alums. For one game a year, students dig up the corpse of a Notre Dame alum and "ride him like a pony" through campus and the tailgating area. They try to time it around when we are playing the Domers but we obviously don't play them every year at home.

With us playing Holy Cross again this year for the first time in 30 years the rumor is they might switch to a Holy Cross alumni, as there are a few Crusaders in the graveyard as well.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby Los on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:The Best Tailgate tradition is the "riding of the pony" through the tailgate.

There is a Catholic cemetery next to Campus. The students have figured out which of the previously living are Notre Dame alums. For one game a year, students dig up the corpse of a Notre Dame alum and "ride him like a pony" through campus and the tailgating area. They try to time it around when we are playing the Domers but we obviously don't play them every year at home.

With us playing Holy Cross again this year for the first time in 30 years the rumor is they might switch to a Holy Cross alumni, as there are a few Crusaders in the graveyard as well.

How many Syracuse alums are in there? I could get behind that.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:58 am

in fairness, Hansen usually offers to be the pony. You guys just choose to dig up the dead domer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Darren6, I know a great rest stop in Westborough on the way to Alumni. I can introduce you to a few great fellas for some pregame action and then we can take in the Temple game. Shoot me a message.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Think of LSU Gameday as a Trump/Republican rally and BC as an Elizabeth Warren/Democrat rally. Decide which one you would prefer to be at.

But seriously, someone said it best when they said not to compare the two experiences. I've been to SEC tailgates at UGA and had a great time. I've also tailgated at BC over the decades and also enjoyed myself tremendously. Besides alcohol and NCAA Football, there's not much alike.

Posting from SEC country right now (Central-Florida, West Coast) and yes, SEC tailgates are the best. By the by, 6 U-F players may face disciplinary actions (whatever that is) for brandishing air rifles that look like "assault" rifles (whatever those are.) I supposed the discipline that will be administered will be something like missing some earlier games in the season before U-F begins SEC play.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Salzano14 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Darren6 {l Wrote}:Salzano14...thanks for your input on the band side of things. I played trumpet with LSU for five years, and my son has followed in my footsteps but chose BC over UCLA and LSU, so now there are a few more BC fans in New Orleans. LSU does the same type of sectional warm-ups on gameday so I know exactly what you are referring to. He is very excited, as is the whole family, to get up there and experience a whole different type of atmosphere than what we have down here.

YES, awesome! The high brass practice directly under the band's director, David Healey, who I can't say enough good things about. On Gameday the high brass warms up on the Million Dollar Staircase (the massive staircase next to Conte Forum, you can't miss it) about halfway up on the landing next to Higgins Hall.

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:With all due respect: it's "alumnus" (singular) and "alumni" (plural). In my day ('65), if you went to Holy Cross, Latin was still a required course (I think), along with compulsory daily mass. I'm guessing BC dropped the Latin requirement some time in the 50's, though in my freshman year you still had compulsory mass twice a week for all years, fortunately dropped for good the following year.

i was referring to tubasteak and his wife (plural)

tubasteak's wife is a Skyhawk actually :ugeek:
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm

If you want to catch a BC game with a good to outstanding tailgate experience, I suggest seeing us play on the road at Clemson, Florida State, or NC State
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:56 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:If you want to catch a BC game with a good to outstanding tailgate experience, I suggest seeing us play on the road at Clemson, Florida State, or NC State

NCST is a good gameday experience? I have no idea but was considering going to that game or VTech this year.
I have only been to FSU (awesome) Pitt (terrible) and Miami (Orange Bowl) in the ACC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:53 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:If you want to catch a BC game with a good to outstanding tailgate experience, I suggest seeing us play on the road at Clemson, Florida State, or NC State

NCST is a good gameday experience? I have no idea but was considering going to that game or VTech this year.
I have only been to FSU (awesome) Pitt (terrible) and Miami (Orange Bowl) in the ACC.

I went to VT in 2005. I didn't really enjoy it, but I may have been pissed off about the QP/Matt Ryan situation. I haven't been to NCSU, but I have to think it would be better than VT.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby mod6A on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:48 pm

1- teh clempson
2- fsu
3- ncsu

Don't think anyone would disagree with that order .

Ncsu wasn't terrible. Had a state fair/fried Snickers bar kinda vibe to it.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:18 pm

State fair is the week after our rcc game this year.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:

Sunday and ?

Sunday was optional. Twice on weekdays was the requirement. You had to turn in your name on a chit at the early morning weekday masses.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:55 am

ncst isn't bad from a it's incredibly convenient pov. probably one of easiest trips from boston in the acc.

the locals were friendly enough, didn't have the pleasure of running into carter finley hit squad though
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:53 pm

NC State isn't on par with Clemson or FSU, but it's not bad. I've heard good things about VT too but didn't endorse it as I've never been (will be going for the first time this year).

Louisville is probably a good time as well, I almost went last year as I was living 2 hours away but none of my asshole friends wanted to fly out because "we're going to get killed" and IU was playing Michigan the same day so went to that instead.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:41 am

NC State isn’t a bad take. I was there for our game in 2006 — that was the TOB brain fart where he inconceivably decided that playing a base cover 2 on the last play of the game was a good idea when NC State needed 50+ yards to go ahead. Predictably, State converted on a Hail Mary to win the game. It was also the game Toby claimed he fell in love with the Pack fan base. How’d that work out?

Anyway, NC State is a decent setup for tailgaiting. They have a massive parking lot surrounding the stadium, so it lends itself to just wandering around for a few hours. I didn’t have a parking pass so we just found a side lot with some other BC fans and locals. Very little hassle, if any, from the authorities. It’s not Clemson or Grove-level tailgating, by any means, but it was a lot of fun.

I was also at VT a year later. Hard to judge tailgating that night because of the monsoon rains, but the lots were much less centralized than at Raleigh. You’d have pockets of tailgaters here or there, but nothing too crazy.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Maryland was fun when we won. It's a real scumbaggy place though. Lots of shitty ppl that act up.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Maryland was fun when we won. It's a real scumbaggy place though. Lots of shitty ppl that act up.

Worst game day experience... Their fans are brutal.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 pm

It wouldn't surprise me that someone like Don Logan would be given an Honorary Doctorate in Humanities from the University of Maryland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDO4UMdcA_k
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:12 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Maryland was fun when we won. It's a real scumbaggy place though. Lots of shitty ppl that act up.

Truth. UMD is a terrible gameday experience. College Park is a dump and way less accessible than it seems - Just off I-95! There's a college park Metro stop! - the 95 exits funnel down to small roads managed by traffic cops and the Metro is a long walk away. The lots are weirdly situated. A massive percentage of UMD fans are from New Jersey and Long Island, because their state schools are awful, and their douche is apparently as virulent and contagious as the herpes they bring down from Seaside, Yonkers, and assorted other trashy places where they Andy-Dufresne through each others underpants (hence the WaWa on Route One). The fans are awful, the athletic department is awful, the stadium is boring. On the one hand, I miss seeing BC in person; on the other I don't miss CP and having one fewer reason to go down there is a good thing.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:30 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Truth. UMD is a terrible gameday experience. College Park is a dump and way less accessible than it seems - Just off I-95! There's a college park Metro stop! - the 95 exits funnel down to small roads managed by traffic cops and the Metro is a long walk away. The lots are weirdly situated. A massive percentage of UMD fans are from New Jersey and Long Island, because their state schools are awful, and their douche is apparently as virulent and contagious as the herpes they bring down from Seaside, Yonkers, and assorted other trashy places where they Andy-Dufresne through each others underpants (hence the WaWa on Route One). The fans are awful, the athletic department is awful, the stadium is boring. On the one hand, I miss seeing BC in person; on the other I don't miss CP and having one fewer reason to go down there is a good thing.

BC's brief overlap in the ACC with Maryland was the perfect fix for those who suffered withdrawals from missing roadtrips to Morgantown and East Hartford.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:35 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:...Long Island, because their state schools are awful...

do long island new yorkers have access to different state schools than upstate new yorkers?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:...Long Island, because their state schools are awful...

do long island new yorkers have access to different state schools than upstate new yorkers?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!

EDIT :: I'm only kidding. You might have been For whatever reason, UMD is way more popular amongst kids from Long Island than Upstate. I was on UMD's campus for a few years and rarely met NY kids from upstate or even westchester. Lots of kids from LI. I don't know why.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Really, you've just insulted Stony Brook.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Really, you've just insulted Stony Brook.

Well, we know the plumbing there is terrible. Also, if you aim to insult Ronkonkoma its ok if Stony Brook is collateral damage because Ronkonkoma is the worst.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Which, coincidentally, is probably the best of the bunch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Which, coincidentally, is probably the best of the bunch.

How's it feel to have gone to a second tier SUNY school, then?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:45 pm

No one from Yonkers is attending UMD. The Long Island and Westchester contingent attending UMD is almost entirely Jewish kids who didn’t get in to Michigan, Wisconsin, Binghamton, Indiana or Penn State (in that order) and whose parents weren’t shelling out the coin for The Cuse.

As for UMD fans, they are awful. Not tOSU or WVU-level awful, but highly punchable.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium