2018 Schedule

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2018 Schedule

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:7 pm on a Friday Nignt is a bad idea for attendance.

Your casual fan isn’t taking 1/2 a day off which is necessary for a 7 pm kickoff.

Unless you live in or around Boston.

Leave the Financial District at 4:30 or 5:00 pm on a Friday Night and try to drive out to BC in game traffic. Let me know how it goes.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Mon May 21, 2018 9:56 am

If only there were other means of transportation to get places, in Boston mind you, besides an automobile.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:If only there were other means of transportation to get places, in Boston mind you, besides an automobile.

BC said I couldn't land my helicopter on the 50 yard line before the game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:If only there were other means of transportation to get places, in Boston mind you, besides an automobile.

i think you spelled "bunch of balloons" wrong
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon May 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I always take a full or half day on the Friday games. I don't think it's that crazy to expect a casual fan to leave work a couple hours early on a Friday to go to a big game like FSU. Also, don't a lot of high school teams in Mass still play their games on Saturday? Friday nights are actually better in that respect if that's still the case.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I always take a full or half day on the Friday games. I don't think it's that crazy to expect a casual fan to leave work a couple hours early on a Friday to go to a big game like FSU.

This. epstein needs a new butler.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 21, 2018 2:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I always take a full or half day on the Friday games. I don't think it's that crazy to expect a casual fan to leave work a couple hours early on a Friday to go to a big game like FSU.

This. epstein needs a new butler.

I just take a half day also, but by the time the casual fan gets out of work, slogs home, grabs the kids and gets to BC through the traffic it's well past 7 pm.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 21, 2018 2:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If we can rent a hot air balloon with some EO funds I will 100% take a hot air balloon from my house to the Miami game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon May 21, 2018 2:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If we can rent a hot air balloon with some EO funds I will 100% take a hot air balloon from my house to the Miami game.

from what teddy tells us, you could just go to party city and buy a handful of mylar balloons to float yourself there. ACK ACK!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

from what teddy tells us, you could just go to party city and buy a handful of mylar balloons to float yourself there. ACK ACK!

Yup. He lacks only the balloons. At least that's what my caddy tells my valet.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon May 21, 2018 7:50 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Also, don't a lot of high school teams in Mass still play their games on Saturday? Friday nights are actually better in that respect if that's still the case.

In the 1980s, if you wanted to play a night game, quite often the smaller schools had to make their way to Middleboro. But Battis field was a gravy train. I was on the committee to help get the lights set up in Abington when they were installed in 1990. That is when lights started popping up everywhere on the South Shore. Basically, the thing about Friday night high school football in the state of Massachusetts (back 28 years ago) went something like this:

• Decide if having night games will cause too many problems/crime because the fans have problems (which is why Brockton didn't get lights then)
  • Decide if football was that important to the educational experience such that lights were needed just to get the fans (which is why so many Catholic High Schools didn't have lights for the longest time)
  • Find someone to donate the lights (because no one had any money)
  • Profit

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Friday night high school games have upwards of ten times the gate revenue of Saturday afternoon games. They just do. If you could get 200 in paid attendance on Saturday afternoon 2PM, you would get 2000 for Friday night 7PM. And the concessions are just as lucrative. They don't pull in anywhere near the dollars you get for Thanksgiving at 10AM (there was 25,000 people in attendance at the Weymouth game vs Brockton in 1991), but Friday Night high school games are far more lucrative than Saturday afternoon. Saturday is for college football because of alcohol and tailgating.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 am

wake's qb suspended for our game:

@WakeFB

Head Coach Dave Clawson announced today that quarterback Kendall Hinton and tight end Thomas Cole have been suspended for the first three games of the 2018 season due to a violation of team rules.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wake's qb suspended for our game:

@WakeFB

Head Coach Dave Clawson announced today that quarterback Kendall Hinton and tight end Thomas Cole have been suspended for the first three games of the 2018 season due to a violation of team rules.

:seanwilliams :seanwilliams
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wake's qb suspended for our game:

@WakeFB

Good. Every little bit helps.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I can see 5 or 6 wins to start the season, followed by 5 or 6 losses and maybe a win at Syracuse. That would be brutal.

I think this is the problem we may be facing this season, an incredible beginning following by a miserable second half. BC's season begins at Wake Forest and if they win there, we may have a false sense of hope.

Clemson's defensive line is a legitimate NFL defensive line, far and away the best defensive line in college football. Every single starter on that line would be on an NFL roster TODAY if they declared for the NFL. So right off the bat, Clemson might hold BC and AJ Dillon to 0 yards rushing and that is assuming that this year's offensive line for BC is the best line that Addazio has had since that incredible line in 2014. Now Miami, VPI, and an FSU team that BC dominated, they are not Clemson. But these are still teams who have recruits that more closely resemble what Clemson has than what BC has.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I can see 5 or 6 wins to start the season, followed by 5 or 6 losses and maybe a win at Syracuse. That would be brutal.

I think this is the problem we may be facing this season, an incredible beginning following by a miserable second half. BC's season begins at Wake Forest and if they win there, we may have a false sense of hope.

Clemson's defensive line is a legitimate NFL defensive line, far and away the best defensive line in college football. Every single starter on that line would be on an NFL roster TODAY if they declared for the NFL. So right off the bat, Clemson might hold BC and AJ Dillon to 0 yards rushing and that is assuming that this year's offensive line for BC is the best line that Addazio has had since that incredible line in 2014. Now Miami, VPI, and an FSU team that BC dominated, they are not Clemson. But these are still teams who have recruits that more closely resemble what Clemson has than what BC has.

Stay in your lane, the Constitution isn't going to misinterpret itself.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm

2018 could be the most complete BC team Daz has fielded. On both sides of the ball we're returning all the key pieces. The OL should be back to BC standards and hopefully Brown is the QB to finally allow us to run a somewhat unpredictable balanced offense. The defense loses very little from a very good '17 unit.

If BC starts 6-0, I think we'll have the tools and the confidence to knock off at least one or two of Clemson, FSU, VT and Miami. Start 6-0 and we probably limp to a 8-4 finish. Barring major injuries or the defense and OL just being unexpectedly miserable, I just don't see a 6-0 start finishing 1-5...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:02 pm

unpredictable like a nuke laloosh fastball... you never know where he's going to throw it
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:22 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:2018 could be the most complete BC team Daz has fielded. On both sides of the ball we're returning all the key pieces. The OL should be back to BC standards and hopefully Brown is the QB to finally allow us to run a somewhat unpredictable balanced offense. The defense loses very little from a very good '17 unit.

If BC starts 6-0, I think we'll have the tools and the confidence to knock off at least one or two of Clemson, FSU, VT and Miami. Start 6-0 and we probably limp to a 8-4 finish. Barring major injuries or the defense and OL just being unexpectedly miserable, I just don't see a 6-0 start finishing 1-5...

We don't know yet (for sure) how strong or weak Wake Forest, Purdue, or NCState will be this year. But given the performance of these schools over the last few years, few would dispute that the first half of the season looks much easier than the second.

Good. That's good. That is the way we want it. We want to pump up the record early, give the players easier wins and some resulting confidence even if it is undeserved. But that confidence is not necessarily going to translate into wins in the later part of the season. These teams are (most likely) night and day different in athletic ability.

Lets get by a Wake Forest team that pummeled last year's BC team first and then, re-evaluate.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:34 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:2018 could be the most complete BC team Daz has fielded. On both sides of the ball we're returning all the key pieces. The OL should be back to BC standards and hopefully Brown is the QB to finally allow us to run a somewhat unpredictable balanced offense. The defense loses very little from a very good '17 unit.

We don't know yet (for sure) how strong or weak Wake Forest, Purdue, or NCState will be this year. But given the performance of these schools over the last few years, few would dispute that the first half of the season looks much easier than the second.

Good. That's good. That is the way we want it. We want to pump up the record early, give the players easier wins and some resulting confidence even if it is undeserved. But that confidence is not necessarily going to translate into wins in the later part of the season. These teams are (most likely) night and day different in athletic ability.

Lets get by a Wake Forest team that pummeled last year's BC team first and then, re-evaluate.

If we start 6-0 is a big if under Daz. I could just as easily see us going 6-0 as I can see up lose to Wake, Purdue AND Temple.

But I'm actually kind of optimistic going into this year. I think 6-0 is very possible. And VT should be down this year. Miami is home after a bye. FSU still has QB questions. I think a 6-0 start could actually mean a 10-2 season...and a 10 year Daz extension!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:43 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I think a 6-0 start could actually mean a 10-2 season...

Its Tuesday right, not Friday or even Thursday afternoon. Why are you drinking already?

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:and a 10 year Daz extension!

And they call me a parody.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Phil Steele's annual magazine (yes, the same Phil Steele who had BC rated #6 out of 6 teams in the Atlantic division in 2007) hit the book shelves today. I have never seen any publication suck off BC and Addazio so much as this one. He has the 2018 BC team as the best team Addazio has ever coached, #23 team in the nation, #4 in the ACC, and a serious challenger for Clemson. Hopefully the man didn't curse us.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:10 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Phil Steele's annual magazine (yes, the same Phil Steele who had BC rated #6 out of 6 teams in the Atlantic division in 2007) hit the book shelves today. I have never seen any publication suck off BC and Addazio so much as this one. He has the 2018 BC team as the best team Addazio has ever coached, #23 team in the nation, #4 in the ACC, and a serious challenger for Clemson. Hopefully the man didn't curse us.

I can agree with that. This is the best team Addazio has ever put on the field. The talent is there to be in the top 25. I’ll go on the record in saying that if Addazio gets 8 wins or less (including bowl), he should be fired.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Phil Steele's annual magazine (yes, the same Phil Steele who had BC rated #6 out of 6 teams in the Atlantic division in 2007) hit the book shelves today. I have never seen any publication suck off BC and Addazio so much as this one. He has the 2018 BC team as the best team Addazio has ever coached, #23 team in the nation, #4 in the ACC, and a serious challenger for Clemson. Hopefully the man didn't curse us.

I can agree with that. This is the best team Addazio has ever put on the field. The talent is there to be in the top 25. I’ll go on the record in saying that if Addazio gets 8 wins or less (including bowl), he should be fired.

8 win fire

just helping the search function when the game manager loses us a few games due to his inability to understand clock management or the rules of college football and the excuses start flying
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:42 am

Aren't Phil Steele's ratings just a math formula? Some mash of recruiting stars and returning starters? BC returns a ton of starts this year. Of course, Phil Steele's doesn't include Daz's return in the equation...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:15 am

People here are rightfully underestimating this team. Ignoring for a moment that the coach is terrible, this should be a better team than last year. It's unlikely they regress. BC is strong on both lines and that is the great equalizer against the factories. Whether they get better depends on whether they can replace the corners and whether Brown can increase his accurancy to an acceptable level and stay healthy. If those two things happen, in a vacuum (and no space's drivel notwithstanding) this is the best and most talented team in the division after Clemson.

To paraphrase Dan Patrick it's too bad they don't play games in a vacuum. [insert Tigers in space meme here]. There is simply no overlooking the coaching deficiency. The only hope to avoid a loss or two on the coaches is that they come out and punch every team in the mouth so hard with the run game that most games look like FSU last season - over early. But it will only matter in a game or two. They should win 7 or 8 at least, even with this coach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 am

Hard to replace corners when they've never got filled in in the first place.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Hard to replace corners when they've never got filled in in the first place.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:24 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Hard to replace corners when they've never got filled in in the first place.

+5
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:People here are rightfully underestimating this team. Ignoring for a moment that the coach is terrible, this should be a better team than last year. It's unlikely they regress. BC is strong on both lines and that is the great equalizer against the factories.

What was bolded was the most important thing you said. Your "drivel" was all downhill from here.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whether they get better depends on whether they can replace the corners and whether Brown can increase his accuracy to an acceptable level and stay healthy. If those two things happen, in a vacuum (and no space's drivel notwithstanding) this is the best and most talented team in the division after Clemson.

Addazio is starting his 6th recruiting class. In his 5th class, he finally recruited a player that the Baby Rapists wanted. Still, his class was ranked dead last in the ACC as it usually is. A J Dillon didn't change that fact. This team is not talented.

BC may have the second best team in the Atlantic but they are NOT the second most talented team in the Atlantic. They are just the oldest team in the Atlantic. No team in the ACC (either division) has so many returning starters (which was Phil Steele's main point to rank them as high as he did.) No team in the ACC has so many players in their early 20s. They are BYU without the missionary work. This is a team of very young men playing a game against teams filled with grown boys. BC's young men are not as talented or athletic as the grown boys they will be playing, but they are still men playing boys.

You could be a 5-star super athlete at defensive end, you are still going to struggle at defensive end if you are a redshirt frosh, only 19, and the 2-star offensive tackle blocking you is 22 years old with 24 starts under his belt. 2 or 3 years of age and experience means everything in college football from strength, bone structure, and an experience standpoint. It is the great "equalizer." This is especially true for linemen more than any other position (which Teddy correctly pointed out, kudos to him.)

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To paraphrase Dan Patrick it's too bad they don't play games in a vacuum. [insert Tigers in space meme here]. There is simply no overlooking the coaching deficiency. The only hope to avoid a loss or two on the coaches is that they come out and punch every team in the mouth so hard with the run game that most games look like FSU last season - over early. But it will only matter in a game or two. They should win 7 or 8 at least, even with this coach.

We are allies in wanting this coach gone. I have wanted him gone for a couple years now, maybe not for the exact reasons you want him gone. If the AD gives Addazio any kind of a contract extension, then I will want the AD gone. With the 4 OOC games on this schedule, winning 7 does nothing for me. But given the "deficiency" winning 7 is probably to be expected, unfortunately. And even if it is expected, I'll still be disappointed.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium