Pinstripe game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pinstripe game thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Daz still sucks. Wade still sucks. That field still sucks.

It’s the above especially with Wade

Lol. That game by wade was Brown's best day.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bo ... =400937498

Meh

Your posting is at about Marcus Smart jumpshot level

You've conveniently forgotten how bad Brown played all but one game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:Daz still sucks. Wade still sucks. That field still sucks.

It’s the above especially with Wade

Lol. That game by wade was Brown's best day.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/bo ... =400937498

Meh

Your posting is at about Marcus Smart jumpshot level

You've conveniently forgotten how bad Brown played all but one game.

Wade was by far the more accurate quarterback of the two.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:00 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The concessions were unbelievable. I missed most of the first quarter waiting in line for beer and the line was like four people deep. It made absolutely no sense. I have to wonder if a bunch of the concession workers saw what the weather was going to be and just said "Nope" and didn't show up. Never experienced anything like it at Yankee Stadium.

This game was vintage Daz. The refs for terrible. And that was the dumbest unsportsmanlike penalty in the history of dumb penalties. I don't know how you possibly throw a flag for that.

The only thing I can think of was that the ref saw it from behind and mistook the kissing fingers and throwing hands out to the sides for a throat slashing gesture. From behind it could be mistaken and they definitely have no tolerance for that kind of thing. But yeah, on replay that call was ridiculous. Iowa may have gotten a FG on the drive without that call, but they almost certainly don't get 7.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Wade was by far the more accurate quarterback of the two.

Because he doesn't throw beyond 5-yards. It is not accumulating the best IB stats. It is about not fumbling the ball in a tie game on your own 40 because you don't realize that you've been sitting in the pocket for 6 seconds. As shown in the NCS game, Wade has the same problem as Daz when it comes to pressure situations.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:Wade was by far the more accurate quarterback of the two.

Because he doesn't throw beyond 5-yards. It is not accumulating the best IB stats. It is about not fumbling the ball in a tie game on your own 40 because you don't realize that you've been sitting in the pocket for 6 seconds. As shown in the NCS game, Wade has the same problem as Daz when it comes to pressure situations.

Yes, Wade's stats were better, but I also base my opinion on what I saw with my own eyes.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 pm

[quote="BCMurt09"]The concessions were unbelievable. I missed most of the first quarter waiting in line for beer and the line was like four people deep. It made absolutely no sense. I have to wonder if a bunch of the concession workers saw what the weather was going to be and just said "Nope" and didn't show up. Never experienced anything like it at Yankee Stadium.

This game was vintage Daz. The refs for terrible. And that was the dumbest unsportsmanlike penalty in the history of dumb penalties. I don't know how you possibly throw a flag for that.[/quot
The concessions were a joke. I waited 15 minutes as the first person in line for two Jamesons even though the bottle was right next to the person behind the counter. Apparently they couldn't just pour it into the glass as they needed some contraption on the top of the bottle to pour out a measured shot.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:41 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Yes, Wade's stats were better, but I also base my opinion on what I saw with my own eyes.

This is what my eyes tell me...
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Darius Wade has zero confidence

and only slightly more ability

teddy is wrong about a lot of things, but he’s wrongest about wade’s ability at quarterbackmanship

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17167&p=488552&hilit=wrongest#p488552
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:51 pm

wade didn't have a great game but when I think about that bowl game the fumble is going to be one of many dumb things I remember - like getting destroyed up the middle on D in the second half because they were getting people out of the crowd to play LB, Dillon stumbling on every single play, missing the FG at the end of half... plenty of blame to go around
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:01 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The concessions were unbelievable. I missed most of the first quarter waiting in line for beer and the line was like four people deep. It made absolutely no sense. I have to wonder if a bunch of the concession workers saw what the weather was going to be and just said "Nope" and didn't show up. Never experienced anything like it at Yankee Stadium.

This game was vintage Daz. The refs for terrible. And that was the dumbest unsportsmanlike penalty in the history of dumb penalties. I don't know how you possibly throw a flag for that.

The only thing I can think of was that the ref saw it from behind and mistook the kissing fingers and throwing hands out to the sides for a throat slashing gesture. From behind it could be mistaken and they definitely have no tolerance for that kind of thing. But yeah, on replay that call was ridiculous. Iowa may have gotten a FG on the drive without that call, but they almost certainly don't get 7.

https://twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/status/946155398846918661

Even from behind, I don't know how you misconstrue that as throat slashing.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

The Captain Checkdown name didn’t come out of thin air.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This is what my eyes tell me...
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Darius Wade has zero confidence

and only slightly more ability

teddy is wrong about a lot of things, but he’s wrongest about wade’s ability at quarterbackmanship

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17167&p=488552&hilit=wrongest#p488552

I'm not saying Wade was All-World. Just saying he was better than Brown. In fact, I'm glad that Brown got significant playing time this year. The real crime as it relates to the QB position happened last year by playing Towles ahead of Wade.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Upon further review it appears dear Noa flips off the crowd at the end there.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Upon further review it appears dear Noa flips off the crowd at the end there.

It does but:
1) Why would he do that?
II. I would think Daz would have torn him a new one if he did.

Anyone see it live? Was Daz asked about it at the press conf?
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Can someone also explain why Sweeney and others played in basketball sneakers? Do you get better traction with those on a frozen field?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz hates Darius Wade, so don't talk about him.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:59 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:DomingoOrtiz

worst poster
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone also explain why Sweeney and others played in basketball sneakers? Do you get better traction with those on a frozen field?

Read this "sneaker game"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1934_NFL_Championship_Game
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone also explain why Sweeney and others played in basketball sneakers? Do you get better traction with those on a frozen field?

Read this "sneaker game"

I imagine in 1934 the cleats were metal studs, similar to golf shoes. If studs aren't penetrating the ice there's no question that you'd get better traction from rubber sneakers on ice than metal on ice. I suppose if the Under Armour cleats are a very hard plastic it's possible you get better traction in rubber sneakers, but that wasn't the way it worked out. I'm assuming part of the issue is that there was still grass on the field yesterday that cleats could still stick into, if not imperfectly, where it seems like the '34 game was literally played on a sheet of ice after a rainy night. Also, I'm assuming the current rubber/plastic cleats get traction much more similar to rubber basketball shoes than metal studs would.

The physics of it does intrigue me, but bottom lines was that the players in cleats clearly had better traction...though still not great traction by any means.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:57 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Read this "sneaker game"

I imagine in 1934 the cleats were metal studs, similar to golf shoes. If studs aren't penetrating the ice there's no question that you'd get better traction from rubber sneakers on ice than metal on ice. I suppose if the Under Armour cleats are a very hard plastic it's possible you get better traction in rubber sneakers, but that wasn't the way it worked out. I'm assuming part of the issue is that there was still grass on the field yesterday that cleats could still stick into, if not imperfectly, where it seems like the '34 game was literally played on a sheet of ice after a rainy night. Also, I'm assuming the current rubber/plastic cleats get traction much more similar to rubber basketball shoes than metal studs would.

The physics of it does intrigue me, but bottom lines was that the players in cleats clearly had better traction...though still not great traction by any means.

BCs OL looked like they were on ice skates.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:06 pm

It’s a meaningless game played with our back up QB on a horrible field. FWIW Mack Brown likes BC’s chances next season to compete for the division title.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:FWIW Mack Brown likes BC’s chances next season to compete for the division title.

Mack Brown also referred to about 80% of the players on both sides as "superstar" or "future superstar."
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:21 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:FWIW Mack Brown likes BC’s chances next season to compete for the division title.

Mack Brown also referred to about 80% of the players on both sides as "superstar" or "future superstar."

Also, everyone plays tight end.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:24 pm

when your coach is a dickhead to refs throughout his career, he (or his team) doesn’t get much respect from them in games. this dingleberry flosser needs to go and take his camera crew/catsup refillers with him.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:57 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Also, everyone plays tight end.

We recruit about 9 of them each year so that makes sense.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Didn’t the turf at the last pinstripe bowl get really torn up? maybe between that and the Fenway games they were expecting the sneakers to help avoid the big holes. Either way it seemed like the slipping mostly stopped after a while, except maybe Dillon, who stumbled on what felt like every play. still bad prep
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 pm

We lost for a number of reasons. But, by itself, the fact that our guys were slipping all over the place and the Iowa guys weren't was a sufficient cause for the loss. (I saw an Iowa guy slip once. Poor Dillon was visibly missing traction before he even got the ball on about half his carries.) That we were apparently playing in the wrong shoes should be considered a fireable offense, Mr. Jarmond. The staff had at least 15 days (long range forecast that I saw) warning that the field would be frozen. Did they take the time to test the shoes they were planning on using by practicing on a frozen field in Boston or were all the practices in the bubble? Did they bring anything other than sneakers as an alternative to put on, Under Armour be damned? I can imagine that our guys were really demoralized by the disadvantage they were suffering -- a disadvantage Iowa wasn't experiencing to anything like the same extent. It's not as though the football world, especially the NFL, has no experience with frozen grass fields at this time of year. There's even a certain pro team that operates in the same hometown... But they've got a professional staff, of course.

I wonder to what extent the shift in momentum from the first half to the second was a result of the demoralizing effect of the bad shoes -- on top of the botched field goal, the cause of which was standing on the sideline. Iowa made adjustments at the half. We never do. Our only plan on offense was to run Dillon, no matter what.

Why wasn't Dillon on the field for most of the passing plays -- or so it seemed to me? If the opponent is keying their defense on Dillon, why do you remove that threat when you call a pass? Not to mention that you are telegraphing that you are likely to pass. (I thought Dillon was limping slightly when he came off the field toward the end of our first offensive series. Amazing that he did as well as he did under the circumstances.)

Who was kicking off for us? Was it the German soccer guy? If so, the kicks were awful short, even given the temperature.

I just got home from NY and haven't heard or seen any of the postgame commentary (except this thread to this point). Anyone see/hear any further explanation why BC was so poorly shod for the frozen field?

And, yes, I cared a lot whether we'd win or lose. A mystery to me why any fan would claim a reason not to care.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:And, yes, I cared a lot whether we'd win or lose. A mystery to me why any fan would claim a reason not to care.

That’s just teddy. Don’t mind that closet case/weirdo. He’s just disappointed it was too cold for EO section “get together”.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:We lost for a number of reasons. But, by itself, the fact that our guys were slipping all over the place and the Iowa guys weren't was a sufficient cause for the loss. (I saw an Iowa guy slip once. Poor Dillon was visibly missing traction before he even got the ball on about half his carries.) That we were apparently playing in the wrong shoes should be considered a fireable offense, Mr. Jarmond. The staff had at least 15 days (long range forecast that I saw) warning that the field would be frozen. Did they take the time to test the shoes they were planning on using by practicing on a frozen field in Boston or were all the practices in the bubble? Did they bring anything other than sneakers as an alternative to put on, Under Armour be damned? I can imagine that our guys were really demoralized by the disadvantage they were suffering -- a disadvantage Iowa wasn't experiencing to anything like the same extent. It's not as though the football world, especially the NFL, has no experience with frozen grass fields at this time of year. There's even a certain pro team that operates in the same hometown... But they've got a professional staff, of course.

I wonder to what extent the shift in momentum from the first half to the second was a result of the demoralizing effect of the bad shoes -- on top of the botched field goal, the cause of which was standing on the sideline. Iowa made adjustments at the half. We never do. Our only plan on offense was to run Dillon, no matter what.

Why wasn't Dillon on the field for most of the passing plays -- or so it seemed to me? If the opponent is keying their defense on Dillon, why do you remove that threat when you call a pass? Not to mention that you are telegraphing that you are likely to pass. (I thought Dillon was limping slightly when he came off the field toward the end of our first offensive series. Amazing that he did as well as he did under the circumstances.)

Who was kicking off for us? Was it the German soccer guy? If so, the kicks were awful short, even given the temperature.

I just got home from NY and haven't heard or seen any of the postgame commentary (except this thread to this point). Anyone see/hear any further explanation why BC was so poorly shod for the frozen field?

And, yes, I cared a lot whether we'd win or lose. A mystery to me why any fan would claim a reason not to care.

The announcers said BC subbed Hilliman for Dillon on pass plays because Hilliman is a better pass blocker. I don't know if that's announcer bullshit or a legitimate tip they got, but I never found Dillon's pass blocking to be a liability this year.

A friend of mine questioned if Iowa practiced outdoors in preparation for this bowl game and if that resulted in them handling the conditions better. I guess temps in Iowa have been in the teens most of December. If so, that would go a long way to explaining why BC was disproportionately affected by the field, cuz I'm pretty sure BC practiced in the bubble.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:44 am

Not that I was ever really on it, but I am off the "Field Conditions are why we lost" bandwagon. Forget that Iowa was playing on the same field and didn't seem to have any trouble, AJ rattled off a 48 yard run and didn't seem to have any trouble. It also looks like he was wearing cleats, not trainers.

We lost because of Daz. Not refs or frozen fields.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 am

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:We lost for a number of reasons. But, by itself, the fact that our guys were slipping all over the place and the Iowa guys weren't was a sufficient cause for the loss. (I saw an Iowa guy slip once. Poor Dillon was visibly missing traction before he even got the ball on about half his carries.) That we were apparently playing in the wrong shoes should be considered a fireable offense, Mr. Jarmond. The staff had at least 15 days (long range forecast that I saw) warning that the field would be frozen. Did they take the time to test the shoes they were planning on using by practicing on a frozen field in Boston or were all the practices in the bubble? Did they bring anything other than sneakers as an alternative to put on, Under Armour be damned? I can imagine that our guys were really demoralized by the disadvantage they were suffering -- a disadvantage Iowa wasn't experiencing to anything like the same extent. It's not as though the football world, especially the NFL, has no experience with frozen grass fields at this time of year. There's even a certain pro team that operates in the same hometown... But they've got a professional staff, of course.

The announcers said BC subbed Hilliman for Dillon on pass plays because Hilliman is a better pass blocker. I don't know if that's announcer bullshit or a legitimate tip they got, but I never found Dillon's pass blocking to be a liability this year.

A friend of mine questioned if Iowa practiced outdoors in preparation for this bowl game and if that resulted in them handling the conditions better. I guess temps in Iowa have been in the teens most of December. If so, that would go a long way to explaining why BC was disproportionately affected by the field, cuz I'm pretty sure BC practiced in the bubble.

BC practiced the week leading to the game outdoors on Columbia's field in Inwood (the Robert Kraft Field at Lawrence Wien Stadium) which is FieldTurf. I'm sure FieldTurf does not interact with the cold the same way sod does.

Looking at social media (Twitter and Instagram) Iowa practiced indoors and outdoors while they were still in Iowa City on turf and on grass. BC was pretty active on social media as well and I saw nothing about practicing on grass.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium