Pinstripe game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pinstripe game thread

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:56 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Not that I was ever really on it, but I am off the "Field Conditions are why we lost" bandwagon. Forget that Iowa was playing on the same field and didn't seem to have any trouble, AJ rattled off a 48 yard run and didn't seem to have any trouble. It also looks like he was wearing cleats, not trainers.

We lost because of Daz. Not refs or frozen fields.

I agree that we lost because of Daz. Iowa adjusted in the second half and Daz failed to react to those adjustments.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 am

fwiw aj has caught a grand total of 0 passes this year

hilliman actually looked surprisingly good catching the ball earlier in the year. didn't make many miss but pulled in a couple throughout the year that surprised me
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:11 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:fwiw aj has caught a grand total of 0 passes this year

hilliman actually looked surprisingly good catching the ball earlier in the year

The play noted in the Bowl game was only the second passing play that I noticed AJD. The other was the flee-flicker against Louisville.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:15 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Not that I was ever really on it, but I am off the "Field Conditions are why we lost" bandwagon. Forget that Iowa was playing on the same field and didn't seem to have any trouble, AJ rattled off a 48 yard run and didn't seem to have any trouble. It also looks like he was wearing cleats, not trainers.

I agree that we lost because of Daz. Iowa adjusted in the second half and Daz failed to react to those adjustments.

What adjustments did Iowa make in the 2nd half?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:27 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They ran more.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:57 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They ran more.

I'm not sure running more in the second half when its ~10 degrees would generally be considered so much an adjustment as a natural occurrence.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They ran more.

I'm not sure running more in the second half when its ~10 degrees would generally be considered so much an adjustment as a natural occurrence.

I wasn't in the locker room. I only know what I saw with my eyes. Iowa ran more and they stacked the right side of the defensive front to take the roll out pass away from Wade.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:44 pm

As I already posted, Iowa won by playing not to lose. If we did that, the same folks would be here bitching about the tainted 8th win that was really nothing more than opening the gifted present Iowa handed us. They won the turnover margin (Wade 3- Iowa 0) and had a 72 yard kick return. Combine that with our weekly FG miss under 40 yards, there wasn't much Iowa actually needed to do.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm

The traction out there mattered. I don’t know what shoes, etc but Iowa was slipping much less than BC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The traction out there mattered. I don’t know what shoes, etc but Iowa was slipping much less than BC

Not surprised one bit that Nike shoes outperformed UnderArmour shoes.
Reminds me of the 90s when BC teams were disadvantaged by wearing Reebok.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 pm

On a dry field, BC wins that game 34 - 20
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 am

Another interesting bit I picked up while at the game. It felt noticeably colder in the second half. If you looked at the sidelines you’d see that Iowa’s players were wearing those big overcoats that you see on NFL sidelines while the BC players were not wearing anything to keep warm while on the bench. I can’t help but think that could’ve been a factor as BC struggled in the 2nd half
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:07 pm

BC does what it does and delivered yet another solid TV rating. Kinda incredible how consistent the program is on that front.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... ay-dec-27/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:36 pm

You’d think this time people don’t try to credit the opponent for those ratings with a straight face.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't know how much of the result had to do with Under Armour, but I've just never been impressed. The jersey designs for both basketball and football are completely devoid of character, and apparently UA products don't do well on frozen baseball fields. And what the hell are these? Are these the new Pennywise 7's?

I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC does what it does and delivered yet another solid TV rating. Kinda incredible how consistent the program is on that front.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea ... ay-dec-27/

ESPN and the ACC cares about TV ratings, but the bowls don't really care. All these lower level ones get nearly identical payouts from ESPN, so having better ratings year to year doesn't really matter that much to the bowls. The only good thing about our rating is that the ACC will never kick us out like the sky is falling people always say. Hell, when we are bad, we are the Washington Generals for them.

I think our ratings can be explained a few different way. While we don't sell a ton of tickets, we do have a pretty good casual fan base across the country who will watch a BC bowl game. Then there is the casual Boston area sports fan. I know people don't care compared to the pro teams, but I still believe locals will put on a BC game if nothing is on.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:10 pm

2 guys in the row in front of me had absolutely ZERO connection with BC, but attended the game anyway. I always think that the "subway" BC fan is near non-existent, but I was glad to be proven wrong this past Tuesday.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:44 am

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:Another interesting bit I picked up while at the game. It felt noticeably colder in the second half. If you looked at the sidelines you’d see that Iowa’s players were wearing those big overcoats that you see on NFL sidelines while the BC players were not wearing anything to keep warm while on the bench. I can’t help but think that could’ve been a factor as BC struggled in the 2nd half

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:Another interesting bit I picked up while at the game. It felt noticeably colder in the second half. If you looked at the sidelines you’d see that Iowa’s players were wearing those big overcoats that you see on NFL sidelines while the BC players were not wearing anything to keep warm while on the bench. I can’t help but think that could’ve been a factor as BC struggled in the 2nd half

This. :ace

The cold weather in the midwest is on a whole new level. It's brutal. I'm sure Iowa gets use out of those overcoats during their November games. But we should probably a make a similar investment considering it's not exactly mild during some of our November games. At least buy a few for quarterbacks and kickers.

I layered up for the Pinstripe Bowl and was relatively comfortable except for my toes. Not having toe warmers was my downfall.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:41 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
I layered up for the Pinstripe Bowl and was relatively comfortable except for my toes. Not having toe warmers was my downfall.

Same here.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium