NFL Coaching Changes

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NFL Coaching Changes

Postby eaglesmith on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:46 pm

As a Bears fan, I'm fairly certain to be looking at a new HC, ideally an offensive mind to mentor Trubisky. I was against the idea of Eagles QB Coach John "Coach" DeFilippo (yes, apparently he's called Coach Flip...) for obvious reasons, but this is an interesting read that made me less reflexively against him.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/201 ... rson-wentz
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Re: NFL Coaching Changes

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Dirk Koetter is going to walk the plank in a few days
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:17 pm

There is going to be like 8 jobs open this year.

With regard to the media campaign surrounding JDF, name a HC who was promoted directly from position coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:There is going to be like 8 jobs open this year.

With regard to the media campaign surrounding JDF, name a HC who was promoted directly from position coach.

John Harbaugh, same organization
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:03 am

Andy Reid went from Packers QB coach to Head Coach at Philly.

NFL owners are dumb enough to hire JDF because someone will buy into the next young genius hype his dad is helping peddle.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am

im very much rooting for it to happen
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Wasn't Harbaugh the special teams coordinator?
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:10 pm

eaglesmith {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Wasn't Harbaugh the special teams coordinator?

He was an Andy Reid was Assistant Head Coach. Really hard to find a coach with such a thin resume. Further, outside of Wentz, JDF was a major failure in developing QBs. Even Carr didn't show much until JDF left. Otherwise it is a clown car of the worst QBs over the last decade.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:42 pm

i don't think he's a great coach but i guess we can restart the bob2bc stuff
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i don't think he's a great coach but i guess we can restart the bob2bc stuff

I'd make him coach for life if he wanted to come home. He'd be absolutely perfect for BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm

With some peculiar decisions, there won't be nearly the vacancies originally envisioned (what with 1-32 being brought back for another season). That said, daddy has had Johnnies name appearing front and center.
http://www.espn.com/blog/philadelphia-e ... aching-job
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby basselope on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Surprisingly, Hue Jackson and his 1-31 record is back next season.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:40 am

Belichick can come back to the Meadowlands with Big Blue. 10+ yrs as an assistant.

That would be some hilarious shit and a huge Fuck You to New England. LOL
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

So the Raiders just paid $100 million for Guy I’m pretty sure is a dipshit and not a genius coach. Should be fun.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 pm

The ESPN report regarding the rift between Patriots coach Bill Belichick, quarterback Tom Brady, and owner Robert Kraft sparked legitimate speculation that Belichick may want out. If he does, there’s only one place he wants to go

“I’m sure Bill knows this is his last chance to be the Giants coach,” a source close to Belichick told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “Bill sees an opening — an opening to get to the Giants.”

The unnamed source doesn’t know whether Belichick will try to get out of New England, but if Belichick goes elsewhere, it will be to one destination only: “The Giants are the only place he wants to be. . . . He wants to be the Giants coach. I know that for a fact. That would be pretty cool. My guess is if he wants out, the Giants already know. He would be great with [G.M. Dave] Gettleman. Bill is a football guy. Gettleman is a football guy.”

The problem is that only one of them could be in charge, and Belichick would demand that type of control. Gettleman, who arrived a week ago and is actually older than Belichick, may not want to give up all or part of his newfound power.

But if the Giants’ desire to have Belichick surpasses the Giants’ desire to have Gettleman in control of the football operations, all it takes is a phone call to the Patriots to see if they would be willing to negotiate compensation in the event that the Giants would be able to negotiate a new contract with Belichick.

From the Giants’ perspective, whatever it would take to get Belichick would be worth it. And if there’s any truth to Wickersham’s report, the time to make a move is now.

This probably came from Belichick and he floated it to gain leverage with Kraft

Share this:
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:22 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:The ESPN report regarding the rift between Patriots coach Bill Belichick, quarterback Tom Brady, and owner Robert Kraft sparked legitimate speculation that Belichick may want out. If he does, there’s only one place he wants to go

“I’m sure Bill knows this is his last chance to be the Giants coach,” a source close to Belichick told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “Bill sees an opening — an opening to get to the Giants.”

The unnamed source doesn’t know whether Belichick will try to get out of New England, but if Belichick goes elsewhere, it will be to one destination only: “The Giants are the only place he wants to be. . . . He wants to be the Giants coach. I know that for a fact. That would be pretty cool. My guess is if he wants out, the Giants already know. He would be great with [G.M. Dave] Gettleman. Bill is a football guy. Gettleman is a football guy.”

The problem is that only one of them could be in charge, and Belichick would demand that type of control. Gettleman, who arrived a week ago and is actually older than Belichick, may not want to give up all or part of his newfound power.

But if the Giants’ desire to have Belichick surpasses the Giants’ desire to have Gettleman in control of the football operations, all it takes is a phone call to the Patriots to see if they would be willing to negotiate compensation in the event that the Giants would be able to negotiate a new contract with Belichick.

From the Giants’ perspective, whatever it would take to get Belichick would be worth it. And if there’s any truth to Wickersham’s report, the time to make a move is now.

This probably came from Belichick and he floated it to gain leverage with Kraft

Share this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9519&p=219286&hilit=Patriots#p219286
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Belichick can come back to the Meadowlands with Big Blue. 10+ yrs as an assistant.

That would be some hilarious shit and a huge Fuck You to New England. LOL

Wait, but Belichick cheats so why would any other team want him?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:44 am

The things that were true in that report were obvious and old news. BB was mad about being forced into the trade, Kraft regrets doing it, and Tom Brady is a fucking weirdo with a snake oil salesman for a partner that should not be around the team.

Oh the titanic sunk.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:09 pm

agreed on the garrapolo trade, they wouldn't have traded brissett if they were going to trade jimmy
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The things that were true in that report were obvious and old news. BB was mad about being forced into the trade, Kraft regrets doing it, and Tom Brady is a fucking weirdo with a snake oil salesman for a partner that should not be around the team.

Oh the titanic sunk.

Kraft denies that he forced Bill to make the trade.

"Kraft took special pains Saturday to deny putting any pressure on his coach to trade Garoppolo and specifically denied meeting with Belichick to discuss the backup’s future, a meeting the ESPN story claims took half a day.

“Until Monday at the trade deadline … the last time I talked to Bill about Jimmy’s situation was in a group with Bill, [club president Jonathan Kraft], [director of player personnel] Nick Caserio … a small group of us, I think in June,” Robert Kraft told The MMBQ. “That is the last time I talked to Bill about it. … I assumed once the season started, we’d talk again at the end of the season about it.

“The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco. … I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was OK with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’ ”

You have to be carefyul about stories with unnamed sources, especially ESPN with a demonstrated record of bullshit reporting.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Bears hired Nagy as next head coach. I don't have much of an opinion on the guy. I am just happy it is not Coach Flip.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:54 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The things that were true in that report were obvious and old news. BB was mad about being forced into the trade, Kraft regrets doing it, and Tom Brady is a fucking weirdo with a snake oil salesman for a partner that should not be around the team.

Oh the titanic sunk.

"Kraft took special pains Saturday to deny putting any pressure on his coach to trade Garoppolo and specifically denied meeting with Belichick to discuss the backup’s future, a meeting the ESPN story claims took half a day.

“Until Monday at the trade deadline … the last time I talked to Bill about Jimmy’s situation was in a group with Bill, [club president Jonathan Kraft], [director of player personnel] Nick Caserio … a small group of us, I think in June,” Robert Kraft told The MMBQ. “That is the last time I talked to Bill about it. … I assumed once the season started, we’d talk again at the end of the season about it.

“The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco. … I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was OK with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’ ”

You have to be carefyul about stories with unnamed sources, especially ESPN with a demonstrated record of bullshit reporting.

I'm a Pats fan. Kraft told him to make the trade. I don't think anyone credible really doubts that, including most of the local writers. It's the turning it into this huge rift that is laugh out loud funny
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

JDF didn't impress in Chicago. Guess he is not the next McVey like GDF has been saying.

http://dabearsblog.com/2018/some-bits-on-the-matt-nagy-hiring-you-wont-find-anywhere-else

John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:17 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:JDF didn't impress in Chicago. Guess he is not the next McVey like GDF has been saying.

http://dabearsblog.com/2018/some-bits-on-the-matt-nagy-hiring-you-wont-find-anywhere-else

John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions.

Rumors like this getting out can permanently kill a career just as surely as daddy's grassroots media campaign can build one.

That said, coaches that want to be in the NFL desperately need these auditions to hone their interviewing skills. It is the reason why the Rooney Rule was created and why a guy like Jags wanted to interview for the Jets even though he knew it would never happen.

As for the Giants... if they don't land Belichick (they won't), I really am surprised they haven't focused upon Josh McDaniels. Young, offensive-minded coach with tons of experience... seems the perfect coach to work with whomever the Giants draft with the #2 pick (Rosen or Allen).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Oh the titanic sunk.

I'm a Pats fan. Kraft told him to make the trade. I don't think anyone credible really doubts that, including most of the local writers. It's the turning it into this huge rift that is laugh out loud funny

So you are saying that Kraft is a liar. Good one. BTW Felger & Maz know shit.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Oh the titanic sunk.

So you are saying that Kraft is a liar. Good one. BTW Felger & Maz know shit.

Don't listen to feiger or any other talk radio. And yes, Kraft is a liar.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 am

One of the funnier things about sports fandom is when grown men act like One Direction fans toward other grown men
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am

Darrell Bevell is a cautionary tale for someone like JDF. He was a candidate for a number of head coaching jobs, but now finds himself unemployed. And Bevell has real accomplishments: (a) he has been an OC for a decade (as opposed to 1 with the Browns), (b) he truly developed a QB by making a mid-rounder (RussWil) into a superstar (as opposed to riding the coattails of a #2 overall selection for half a season) and (c) he has been to multiple Super Bowls and has a ring (as opposed to being an assistant on just ONE winning team in 9 years).

Look JDF may be a great coaching mind and may go on to have a decade of success. But, until that happens, I will believe that daddy is hurting him here. As Raheem Morris, Dennis Allen and even Josh McDaniels can all attest... getting an NFL head coaching job before you are ready is not a good move. JDF should use the fortuitous position he finds himself (a secure coaching staff, loaded with QB experience and a budding superstar at QB) to better hone his skill... not conning some owner to make an ill-advised hire based upon fluffers in the media.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm

As a Philadelphia fan I will not be happy if JDF leaves. As a BC fan I was not happy when he arrived.

I hate everything.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:11 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:As a Philadelphia fan I will not be happy if JDF leaves. As a BC fan I was not happy when he arrived.

I hate everything.

When did JDF arrive at BC?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium