2019 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2019 Recruiting Thread

Postby BC96 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:06 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So... just to be clear... when Addazio (who has the "dead last" recruiting class each of the last 5 years) beats any team, and especially a team like FSU (who universally is considered to have a top 2 recruiting class in the conference), are you chalking up the ability to close the immense coaching gap to his coaching skills?

Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend that Addazio is a decent game day coach. He is at least "average" for the ACC. That is a far cry better than Spaz who was a deplorable game day coach. Addazio's performance on game day has never been the reason why I wanted (and continue to want) his ass terminated.

He is a terrible game coach and should have been fired right after the 3-0 loss to Wake Forest in 2015.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 pm

nospace-thinking-he-knows-about-sports season seems to come earlier and earlier every year.

i'm looking forward to the shit-show that will be in-game coaching now that paul "no, really, i'm not related to jerry sandusky - we just look like long lost twin brothers" pasqualoni is in day-twah because i like to laugh at sgt slaughter running around yelling "FUCK YOU" at anyone that will listen. i've gotten over being embarrassed by him, upset with him, or disgusted by him and just laugh at his inadequacy and continued employment. armin tamzatian will likely be on to a school actually interested in winning before the 2019 football season but you can bet your thin-skinned ass that the heinz hammer will still be coughing up time outs and running dive plays with time expiring on the sidelines of the heights

and to that i say - gig 'em aggies... let's go jimbo
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:09 pm

BC96 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So... just to be clear... when Addazio (who has the "dead last" recruiting class each of the last 5 years) beats any team, and especially a team like FSU (who universally is considered to have a top 2 recruiting class in the conference), are you chalking up the ability to close the immense coaching gap to his coaching skills?

Asking for a friend.

Tell your friend that Addazio is a decent game day coach. He is at least "average" for the ACC. That is a far cry better than Spaz who was a deplorable game day coach. Addazio's performance on game day has never been the reason why I wanted (and continue to want) his ass terminated.

He is a terrible game coach and should have been fired right after the 3-0 loss to Wake Forest in 2015.

Whatever. :shrug

I've wanted him fired for a couple of years now. I'm done with him even if the BC administration (and some people on the board) aren't. If Martin Jarmond is not permitted to fire Addazio (because the BOT is sick and tired of paying two people to do one job) then the best thing Jarmond can do, is do nothing. I certainly hope that Addazio's current contract is simply allowed to "expire" in 2020 the way it was with Brad Bates who showed he was no better than Gene. I don't want any additional contract extensions for coach ketchup. He has not earned them. Just "Office Space" him out the door on January 31st, 2021.

For those of you who still want him here (want another extension), where is the BC Orange Bowl appearance? Oh that is right. I keep forgetting. 5 seasons in a row, lowest rated recruiting class in the ACC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:43 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm looking forward to the shit-show that will be in-game coaching now that paul "no, really, i'm not related to jerry sandusky - we just look like long lost twin brothers" pasqualoni is in day-twah because i like to laugh at sgt slaughter running around yelling "FUCK YOU" at anyone that will listen. i've gotten over being embarrassed by him, upset with him, or disgusted by him and just laugh at his inadequacy and continued employment. armin tamzatian will likely be on to a school actually interested in winning before the 2019 football season but you can bet your thin-skinned ass that the heinz hammer will still be coughing up time outs and running dive plays with time expiring on the sidelines of the heights

excellent
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:so this means we are no longer 13th or worse in recruiting this yr in the ACC? that'd be nice.

It doesn't matter who we land. Recruiting rankings are exclusively tied to the number of subscribers to recruiting services each school has. Dillon was a near 5-star player before de-tiering because he de-committed from Harbaugh to go to BC.

This. If you think BC has the worst recruiting class annually but wins 3-4 conference games and regularly puts players in the NFL because of coaching alone, I've got a contract extension to sell you.

Stop doing drugs you two. BC has never had many subscribers to recruiting services. In 2003, BC's best recruiting class ever (specifically because its 3-star QB was completely undervalued, truly a 5-star player, truly the best high school recruit in the nation) was rated #2 in the Big East. In 2004, BC had the #1 recruiting class in the Big East. Number one. Now you can say that it helps that VPI and Miami had already made their way into the ACC in 2004 which bubbled BC to the top (and you'd be right) but last time I checked, Syracuse, Pitt, and WVa were all still in the Big East in 2004. Lo and behold, BC was rated higher than both Pitt and Syracuse that year, something that Addazio has never been able to do since BC made its way into the ACC (which includes Pitt and Syracuse today.) I wonder why that is? More to the point, would WVa recruiting class (any of them over the last 5 years) be ranked lower than what Addazio has produced? Why was Toby able to out-recruit schools that Addazio can't?

How is it that BC had a #1 recruiting class 14 years ago, something that would be unheard of today? Recruiting services did not become lesser services over the last 15 years (downgrading BC's recruits) specifically because of BC's lack of subscribers. The services would only get better in their ability to rate and evaluate players, never worse. That is because information technology is vastly superior today in rating players compared to what was available 15 years ago. They are better with the math, better at modeling an athlete based on his height, weight, speed, vertical jump, and bench press. That is UNLESS you think that over the last 15 years, the algorithms used to assign "stars" and ratings to shirtless 17 year old boys has changed where subscribers are the ONLY driving indicator of the math, then these recruiting services are actually useless. Is that what you are saying HJS, Teddy, that these services (which may have been unbiased in the past) are nowadays nothing more than a popularity contest?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Asking for a friend.

Its the recruiting.

An "average" ACC coach can go 7-6 each year and 3-5 in the ACC with the "dead last" recruiting class. An "average" ACC coach can beat FSU one game in five with the "dead last" recruiting class. An "average" ACC coach can beat Louisville one game in five with the "dead last" recruiting class. I know it is taboo to say anything bad about the recruits because they read these boards. But recruits can also do math. They can "count" the number of recruits and "count" the number of stars each recruit gets. Then they can take that sum and compare it to the sum of all the other recruiting classes in the ACC. That is simple math. And the math is the math HJS. Tell your friend that the math demonstrates quite objectively that BC's recruiting class has been rated 14th out of 14 for 5 years in a row. Now maybe the drop from 10 or 11 to 14 is a very narrow drop and one or two players may make all the difference. But Addazio is consistently bad.

The athletic director at Arizona State University did an interview recently on local tv here in Phoenix. He went on record to explain exactly why he terminated their previous head coach who shall NOT be named and replaced him with Herman. It was all recruiting. He says recruiting is 70% of the job responsibilities of the head coach, 70% of what determines if the team wins or loses. If you recruit well, everything tends to take care of itself. If you don't, you must work much MUCH harder than your opposing head coach on game day to get it done. He expects (demands actually) that Herman Edwards recruit much better than previous ASU head coaches. If you are a head coach for a Power-5 program, yours is an outside sales position. Always be closing.

I am of the opinion that anyone (Spaz included) could have recruited every player that Addazio has brought in over the last 5 years. What he did, any of us could have done. Any of us. Its nothing special. He has to find a way to sweet talk the 4-stars into signing here as that is the only way we are going to see anything better than 7-6. Great that it looks like Addazio may have turned the corner with this 2019 class. I hope he gets all these kids that some of you think are superstars. Wouldn't that be nice?

I hate Addazio because the exact opposite of all of this is true. Carry on nospace, you are a board treasure.

PS BC just had two cornerbacks drafted in the same draft class, after a safety last year and the year before. Gameday coaching!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

There are 4 recruiting services that "rate" the 17 year old shirtless boys; Scout, Rivals, ESPN, and 247 Sports. So how do they do the math and assign "stars?" It appears the single largest data point is game film:

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/how_are_recruiting_rankings_de.html

Each service uses its own set of criteria, and thus, no set of rankings is ever exactly the same. Recruiting rankings are inherently an inexact science so each talent evaluator is going to have differing opinions about certain players and their long-term potential.

The biggest factor, according to the experts, is a prospect's game film. This is where the experts can get the best feel for a player's actual ability in the flow of a game. For the majority of the recruiting experts, this is preferred to combines and camps. However, one potential downside is with the rise of Hudl and xOS, recruiting analysts now have to wade through more game film and highlight tape than ever before.

"It's always the film; the film doesn't lie," says Brandon Huffman, the director of scouting at Scout.com. "I want to see what a kid is doing Friday nights between the lines."

At Scout.com, the film is far and away the biggest priority. Huffman then uses events like The Opening and the Under Armour All-America Game as a secondary resource when considering where a player needs to be ranked. He stressed that you can't let a good or bad week at an all-star camp overshadow what a player did for two or three years in high school.

247Sports has a similar mentality. JC Shurburtt, a national recruiting analyst for the network, estimates that game film equates to 60 percent of a prospect's total grade.

I mean that makes the most sense. Look at the film and see what he does on the field. How good are his opponents? What did he do vs those opponents? Take the math from the game film and model that data. And use that for a significant percentage of your ranking.

Okay so why is it that BC's recruits get penalized (sometimes lose a star) after they declare for BC? Well....

Do scholarship offers matter?

A common refrain heard on message boards and social media is that if a player has an offer from "insert your school here" how can he be only a three-star prospect? If a big school like Alabama or Auburn offers a prospect isn't there a good chance he's a four-star or five-star prospect?

The issue is that all scholarship offers aren't created equal. Each school has different needs and different systems, and thus targets different types of prospects. Farrell compares it to the NFL Draft where "guys will rate a certain position higher because it's a positional need for that team." Despite a team willing to take a player in the Top 10 of the draft, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a Top 10-level talent.

The same theory applies to college football.

Out of the four recruiting experts, Shurburtt is the only one who says offers factor in at all and he gives it only 10 percent of the total equation. One thing 247Sports does is look at the track record of college programs putting players into the NFL, especially lower-rated prospects.

Okay so there are 4 recruiting services and only one publically admits that their rating model is effected by scholarship offers from schools. Essentially, 247 Sports is admitting that they are as much as 10% lazy in rating their players by adjusting their rankings based on the overall value of the school offering the scholarship. So in that sense, a 17 year old shirtless boy is going to get 10% more mathematical love from 247 Sports if he gets an offer from Nick Saban and he will lose 10% of that love if Addazio is the only one who offers. I guess if the player gets offers from both, they will cancel out?

I don't see a whole lot of mathematical value for the ratings being placed on where the athlete ultimately decides to enroll (the asinine argument that HJS just made.) I just see 10% based on scholarship offers, not acceptance. And it was only the one recruiting service.

I suppose they could be lying.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:so this means we are no longer 13th or worse in recruiting this yr in the ACC? that'd be nice.

It doesn't matter who we land. Recruiting rankings are exclusively tied to the number of subscribers to recruiting services each school has. Dillon was a near 5-star player before de-tiering because he de-committed from Harbaugh to go to BC.

This. If you think BC has the worst recruiting class annually but wins 3-4 conference games and regularly puts players in the NFL because of coaching alone, I've got a contract extension to sell you.

Stop doing drugs you two. BC has never had many subscribers to recruiting services. In 2003, BC's best recruiting class ever (specifically because its 3-star QB was completely undervalued, truly a 5-star player, truly the best high school recruit in the nation) was rated #2 in the Big East. In 2004, BC had the #1 recruiting class in the Big East. Number one. Now you can say that it helps that VPI and Miami had already made their way into the ACC in 2004 which bubbled BC to the top (and you'd be right) but last time I checked, Syracuse, Pitt, and WVa were all still in the Big East in 2004. Lo and behold, BC was rated higher than both Pitt and Syracuse that year, something that Addazio has never been able to do since BC made its way into the ACC (which includes Pitt and Syracuse today.) I wonder why that is? More to the point, would WVa recruiting class (any of them over the last 5 years) be ranked lower than what Addazio has produced? Why was Toby able to out-recruit schools that Addazio can't?

How is it that BC had a #1 recruiting class 14 years ago, something that would be unheard of today? Recruiting services did not become lesser services over the last 15 years (downgrading BC's recruits) specifically because of BC's lack of subscribers. The services would only get better in their ability to rate and evaluate players, never worse. That is because information technology is vastly superior today in rating players compared to what was available 15 years ago. They are better with the math, better at modeling an athlete based on his height, weight, speed, vertical jump, and bench press. That is UNLESS you think that over the last 15 years, the algorithms used to assign "stars" and ratings to shirtless 17 year old boys has changed where subscribers are the ONLY driving indicator of the math, then these recruiting services are actually useless. Is that what you are saying HJS, Teddy, that these services (which may have been unbiased in the past) are nowadays nothing more than a popularity contest?

Recruiting services were irrelevant back in the day, no one gave a fuck, and a TOB jock sniffer at what was essentially the only recruiting service at the time, Rivals, was able to horsetrade inflated rankings for access. That said, over all, they are comparable recruiters, but TOB's teams lacked the skill position talent and over all defensive speed to compete in the modern ACC. His recruiting classes were perfect for being mediocre in a shell of a conference that was falling apart.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Asking for a friend.

Its the recruiting.

An "average" ACC coach can go 7-6 each year and 3-5 in the ACC with the "dead last" recruiting class. An "average" ACC coach can beat FSU one game in five with the "dead last" recruiting class. An "average" ACC coach can beat Louisville one game in five with the "dead last" recruiting class. I know it is taboo to say anything bad about the recruits because they read these boards. But recruits can also do math. They can "count" the number of recruits and "count" the number of stars each recruit gets. Then they can take that sum and compare it to the sum of all the other recruiting classes in the ACC. That is simple math. And the math is the math HJS. Tell your friend that the math demonstrates quite objectively that BC's recruiting class has been rated 14th out of 14 for 5 years in a row. Now maybe the drop from 10 or 11 to 14 is a very narrow drop and one or two players may make all the difference. But Addazio is consistently bad.

The athletic director at Arizona State University did an interview recently on local tv here in Phoenix. He went on record to explain exactly why he terminated their previous head coach who shall NOT be named and replaced him with Herman. It was all recruiting. He says recruiting is 70% of the job responsibilities of the head coach, 70% of what determines if the team wins or loses. If you recruit well, everything tends to take care of itself. If you don't, you must work much MUCH harder than your opposing head coach on game day to get it done. He expects (demands actually) that Herman Edwards recruit much better than previous ASU head coaches. If you are a head coach for a Power-5 program, yours is an outside sales position. Always be closing.

I am of the opinion that anyone (Spaz included) could have recruited every player that Addazio has brought in over the last 5 years. What he did, any of us could have done. Any of us. Its nothing special. He has to find a way to sweet talk the 4-stars into signing here as that is the only way we are going to see anything better than 7-6. Great that it looks like Addazio may have turned the corner with this 2019 class. I hope he gets all these kids that some of you think are superstars. Wouldn't that be nice?

I hate Addazio because the exact opposite of all of this is true. Carry on nospace, you are a board treasure.

You hate Addazio because you are smart, not because the exact opposite of all this is true. You only say the exact opposite is true because you think that is going to make you look cool by saying it which gives you a PRIDE-hard-on. You are part of the MTBS, one of the many reasons why no one posts here anymore.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS BC just had two cornerbacks drafted in the same draft class, after a safety last year and the year before. Gameday coaching!

Spaz gets his ass kicked by USC at home in 2014. Strange that Addazio was able to get it done? How is it that Addazio can beat VPI twice with Spaz's recruits, something Spaz himself could never do?

Addazio's worst year was the first year the offense was comprised of players that were completely his, 2015. Lo and behold, with what may have been the best BC defense any of us have ever seen (still some Spaz recruits particularly on the defensive line) the team went 3-9 (0-8 in ACC.) THAT is the result of 3 years of consistently the lowest rated recruiting class in the ACC.

Don't talk to me about players going into the NFL. How many of Toby's recruits went into the NFL? Quite a few if you asked me. Even Spaz had some recruits go into the NFL. Lets see what these defensive backs do in the NFL Teddy. I hope they each play for 10+ years.

I want Addazio gone as much as you do. I'm just man enough to admit that the reason he should be gone is the caliber of athlete he can recruit. You are just too pussy to do that. Don't you think there is a problem with recruiting when we keep shuffling in one new starting QB each year and we all get super enthusiastic because one great player (the best one he's recruited in 5 years) comes to the team simply because BC was the only school to promise more playing time at the position he wanted to play? Why is it that all of Addazio's recruits (when they transfer) they don't transfer to another power-5 school? Spaz only ever had 1 QB for the majority of his tenure (that and a drunk 26 year old freshman.) Can't say that about Addazio now can we?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:38 pm

You judge his coaching on box scores, whereas I am a season ticket holder, so there is also that.

BC out-athleted the shit out of several teams last season that finish at the top of the recruiting rankings.

USC sucked when Spaz and Addazio played them. That #9 ranking was exposed. That said, yes, Spaz was far more atrocious than Addazio at coaching and recruiting. Spaz was a complete moron. Hooray beer.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Recruiting services were irrelevant back in the day, no one gave a fuck, and a TOB jock sniffer at what was essentially the only recruiting service at the time, Rivals, was able to horsetrade inflated rankings for access. That said, over all, they are comparable recruiters, but TOB's teams lacked the skill position talent and over all defensive speed to compete in the modern ACC. His recruiting classes were perfect for being mediocre in a shell of a conference that was falling apart.

TOB's recruits (playing in the ACC, I might add) were skilled, speedy, and athletic enough to get a #2 BCS ranking the first week of November 2007. That Teddy (the Friday night before the FSU game in a Hurricane), was the high water mark for all things BC sports related in any of our lifetimes. Its been all downhill ever since (don't talk to me about hockey.)

Saying Addazio and TOB are comparable recruiters proves you need to put down the crack pipe. The only one here sniffing jocks, is you.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

TOB's recruits (playing in the ACC, I might add) were skilled, speedy, and athletic enough to get a #2 BCS ranking the first week of November 2007. That Teddy (the Friday night before the FSU game in a Hurricane), was the high water mark for all things BC sports related in any of our lifetimes. Its been all downhill ever since (don't talk to me about hockey.)

Saying Addazio and TOB are comparable recruiters proves you need to put down the crack pipe. The only one here sniffing jocks, is you.

The ACC then wasn't close to what it is now. FSU was mediocre, and Clemson had nothing after CJ Spiller. The two best teams were the teams that moved from the Old Big East. Oh, and TOBY was long gone, and they won with a lightly regarded QB that the completely worthless recruiting services had no idea was an NFL prospect.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Also BC was #2 in the country because everyone else kept losing. Then they had a miraculous win at VT orchestrated by the underrecruited QB, lost to a bad FSU team at home (in large part because they didn't have the secondary speed to run with receivers in the 5 wide led by the immortal Charlie Weatherford), and they gave up 42 points to a god awful Maryland team that had a backup QB because they didn't have the speed to keep up.

But you keep judging speed and talent on box scores.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Speaking of CJ Spiller and BC's footspeed, does anyone remember that long run after catch by Spiller on a screen where he essentially ran 130 yards through 16 BC defender? I thought he took it to the house, and it had to be 2008, but I couldn't find it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Lot of dumb IB arguments in here. First of all the recruiting services are down to 2.5. Scout is gone. ESPN rates the top kids and leaves the rest alone. Recruits don't read this board. Addazio has an above average eye for talent and is better at closing recruits. He also works hard at it. He is a bad game day coach. The past few years we've more talent than most of the opponents on our schedule. Use the eye test or the NFL Draft test. BC did not win in the ACC when we first transitioned because of speed and athleticism. We had huge offensive and defensive lines. We had guys like Herzy -- who would have been a DE on most ACC teams -- playing LB. The BOT does not even get into contract budgeting detail with the AD.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm

BC96 {l Wrote}:

Asking for a friend.

I almost forgot about this wonderful experience
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 am

For those crying over lack of 4star recruits Patrick Garwo will be on an official visit for the weekend starting Friday. Also a few others will be on officials so expect some good news this weekend hopefully.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Speaking of CJ Spiller and BC's footspeed, does anyone remember that long run after catch by Spiller on a screen where he essentially ran 130 yards through 16 BC defender? I thought he took it to the house, and it had to be 2008, but I couldn't find it.

correct 2008, it's somewhere on youtube. looks like he didn't take it all the way, 6 catches 105, 0 td

re your earlier post yes, loved vs fsu in 2007 how fsu would go 5 wide and spaz would sit in his 4-3 D
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Speaking of CJ Spiller and BC's footspeed, does anyone remember that long run after catch by Spiller on a screen where he essentially ran 130 yards through 16 BC defender? I thought he took it to the house, and it had to be 2008, but I couldn't find it.

correct 2008, it's somewhere on youtube. looks like he didn't take it all the way, 6 catches 105, 0 td

Its not reflected in the box score, but Spiller single handily beat us that night.
SuperFriend missed two FGs
That was the last we saw of Brian Toal.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:12 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:For those crying over lack of 4star recruits Patrick Garwo will be on an official visit for the weekend starting Friday. Also a few others will be on officials so expect some good news this weekend hopefully.

Atleast 5 OVs this weekend from what I’ve seen and heard. Couple commits coming on unofficials to help recruit.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:51 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:For those crying over lack of 4star recruits Patrick Garwo will be on an official visit for the weekend starting Friday. Also a few others will be on officials so expect some good news this weekend hopefully.

Atleast 5 OVs this weekend from what I’ve seen and heard. Couple commits coming on unofficials to help recruit.

Only one persion is complaining about 4-stars. I think this class is great and am just hoping for more of the same.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Only one persion is complaining about 4-stars. I think this class is great and am just hoping for more of the same.

I hope you are right. I hope that this is the best class ever recruited at Boston College. Just one query for you HJS.

In your opinion, which BC recruiting class sucked? Which BC coach (in your opinion) sucked at recruiting? If this one is great (and I certainly hope it is, I hope you are right) it would indicate that there were classes that you thought were not so great. Which one in the last 20 years or so was the worst class and who is ultimately responsible for recruiting such crappy recruits?

I am sincerely interested in your response but I fear that I will not get a sincere response the same way when I hear parents tell me that they want to send their kids to a good school, they out and out refuse to define exactly what schools are bad and WHY they are bad.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

does that one person have a micropenis and fly in superfirst class?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I hope you are right. I hope that this is the best class ever recruited at Boston College. Just one query for you HJS.

In your opinion, which BC recruiting class sucked? Which BC coach (in your opinion) sucked at recruiting? If this one is great (and I certainly hope it is, I hope you are right) it would indicate that there were classes that you thought were not so great. Which one in the last 20 years or so was the worst class and who is ultimately responsible for recruiting such crappy recruits?

Those are three queries.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I hope you are right. I hope that this is the best class ever recruited at Boston College. Just one query for you HJS.

In your opinion, which BC recruiting class sucked? spaz's last classWhich BC coach (in your opinion) sucked at recruiting spaz? If this one is great (and I certainly hope it is, I hope you are right) it would indicate that there were classes that you thought were not so great. Which one in the last 20 years or so was the worst class spaz's last class and who is ultimately responsible for recruiting such crappy recruits spaz?

Those are three queries.

what do i win?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Those are three queries.

Nice dodge HJS. And that dodge was expected. As I said earlier (something you did NOT quote)...

I am sincerely interested in your response but I fear that I will not get a sincere response

You didn't let me down. :)
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Its dead around here and I'm bored. While I can't understand what is being asked in the 1 query that compounds in to 3 or 4 separate questions, I will take a moment and look back at BC's classes through the years. Rivals keeps rankings back to 2002, so... I'll start there.

HJS's ranking of BC's best recruiting classes (in order) (including Rivals ranking and head coach)
2002 - 42 - TOB
2003 - 24 - TOB

2014 - 42 - Daz
2008 - 33 - Jags
2004 - 24 - TOB
2015 - 46 - Daz
2017* - 66 - Daz
2018* - 71 - Daz
2010 - 47 - Spaz
2016 - 83 - Daz
2013 - 87 - transition from Spaz to Daz
2007 - 46 - transition from TOB to Jags
2011 - 38 - Spaz
2006 - 37 - TOB
2009 - 70 - transition from Jags to Spaz
2005 - 49 - TOB
2012 - 64 - Spaz

I believe what this shows is what we all always believed. Spaz was hot garbage. TOB was a very good recruiter until he stopped trying after losing out to Ty Winningham for the UDub job (in December 2004). Jags was inconsistent and here too short to get a read. Daz has been very consistent, excellent eye for talent but not spectacular. This also shows how nonsensical the rankings are (at least those of Rivals). Perhaps, most glaring, this shows something I’ve mentioned before… the importance of stringing together consecutively strong classes. It should come as no surprise that we were “holding the #2 ranking hostage” with the maturation of the 2002, 2003 and 2004 classes (what I consider to be 3 of our top 5).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Its dead around here and I'm bored. While I can't understand what is being asked in the 1 query that compounds in to 3 or 4 separate questions, I will take a moment and look back at BC's classes through the years. Rivals keeps rankings back to 2002, so... I'll start there.

HJS's ranking of BC's best recruiting classes (in order) (including Rivals ranking and head coach)
2002 - 42 - TOB
2003 - 24 - TOB

2014 - 42 - Daz
2008 - 33 - Jags
2004 - 24 - TOB
2015 - 46 - Daz
2017* - 66 - Daz
2018* - 71 - Daz
2010 - 47 - Spaz
2016 - 83 - Daz
2011 - 38 - Spaz
2006 - 37 - TOB
2005 - 49 - TOB
2012 - 64 - Spaz

I believe what this shows is what we all always believed. Spaz was hot garbage. TOB was a very good recruiter until he stopped trying after losing out to Ty Winningham for the UDub job (in December 2004). Jags was inconsistent and here too short to get a read. Daz has been very consistent, excellent eye for talent but not spectacular. This also shows how nonsensical the rankings are (at least those of Rivals). Perhaps, most glaring, this shows something I’ve mentioned before… the importance of stringing together consecutively strong classes. It should come as no surprise that we were “holding the #2 ranking hostage” with the maturation of the 2002, 2003 and 2004 classes (what I consider to be 3 of our top 5).

nicely done HJS, nice attention to detail +5 for you

IB's ranking of BC's best recruiting classes (in order) (including Rivals ranking and head coach)
2003 - 24 - TOB
2004 - 24 - TOB
2002 - 42 - TOB
2008 - 33 - Jags
2010 - 47 - Spaz
2015 - 46 - Daz
2006 - 37 - TOB
2014 - 42 - Daz
2011 - 38 - Spaz
2005 - 49 - TOB
2016 - 83 - Daz
2012 - 64 - Spaz

I didn't rank the 2017 and 2018 classes because we know very little about the former and nothing about the latter. They could wind up being the best. They could wind up being the worst. I certainly hope and pray the 2017 and 2018 classes turn out to be more like what we were used to in the middle of Toby's career at BC. I fear that they will wind up looking more like what we got used to with Spaz.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Bumpers on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:56 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

does that one person have a micropenis and fly in superfirst class?

I wont believe a goddam thing unless its coming straight outta Houston.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Flier season has usually started by now
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium