BC vs. Connecticut Gameday - 11/18/2017 at Fenway Park

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs. Connecticut Gameday - 11/18/2017 at Fenway Park

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:You call a TO to run the ball up the middle?

Ugh now Lamont is hurt

I really hope it’s not serious. We are so thin at LB!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Davon Jones at linebacker now? Didnt know that.

Yeah played a little there earlier this year. I think that was his first tackle though.

They moved him after Richardson went down. We are very thin at LB
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:47 pm

- Who do we have to play quarterback next year?
- Just EJ Perry and his three remaining years of eligibility.
- Last I heard there were four years of eligibility.
- There were.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:- Who do we have to play quarterback next year?
- Just EJ Perry and his three remaining years of eligibility.
- Last I heard there were four years of eligibility.
- There were.

It was a non contact injury. What’s the prognosis on Brown?
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Wade had moments. Looked elusive and with an accurate arm on the TD. Also had what could've been another TD on the pretty damn well thrown ball deep to White. But also had some real bonehead moments and missed some open reads.

I'd say better than expectations, but not by much...and expectations were low. Another week of practice, hopefully some more comfort and confidence, and we should be able to beat Syracuse.

7-5 with all the injuries would be pretty respectable. Also, ending with a Syracuse win would just feal like a pretty surprisingly enjoyable season.

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Are we done with UConn? Please say this was just a home and home before we move on to Piscataway U in 2 years.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:03 am

Beat Syracuse and win the bowl and Daz has 8 wins here for the 1st time.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Are we done with UConn? Please say this was just a home and home before we move on to Piscataway U in 2 years.

BC plays them again in 2022 and 2023.

I don't know how it looked on TV, but the BC fan contingent was better than I expected.

I hope the company that was giving away cowbells burns to the ground.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:20 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Wade had moments. Looked elusive and with an accurate arm on the TD. Also had what could've been another TD on the pretty damn well thrown ball deep to White. But also had some real bonehead moments and missed some open reads.

I'd say better than expectations, but not by much...and expectations were low. Another week of practice, hopefully some more comfort and confidence, and we should be able to beat Syracuse.

7-5 with all the injuries would be pretty respectable. Also, ending with a Syracuse win would just feal like a pretty surprisingly enjoyable season.

Hey, Rose specs, what was your prediction before season began? Just trying to put in perspective your joy at a 7-5 season ending with wins over UCONN and Syracuse (if that were to happen) as season enders.

See, way I view it was this being year 5, the Dazzler promised competing for league championships. In fact, you have a 4th place team in the Atlantic division. I also see what talent this team possesses that was disabled by some real deficient coaching, especially earlier in the season. What I also see is a team that, assuming Brown's injury is significant, and keeps him out early next season, that we have no known commodity at QB, since the staff either deceived themselves, or deceived us by suggesting that Wade could play QB at this level.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:51 am

I don't believe Daz could ever win 9 games (let alone 10) at BC. I doubt he'll ever win 8. But, as I said at the beginning of the year, he assembled one hell of a talented team by Year 5. That should be acknowledged. With a better coach, we beat WF and NCS. With a better coach and without the crazy amount of injuries, we could've won every game on the schedule.

For those wanting to test Daz's high water mark, everyone who was injured is back next year (except Landry). The OOC schedule is Wisconsin easy. At the end of the day, 8-wins should be the bare minimum. And, for TRE, an extension would be in the offing.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Wade had moments. Looked elusive and with an accurate arm on the TD. Also had what could've been another TD on the pretty damn well thrown ball deep to White. But also had some real bonehead moments and missed some open reads.

Hey, Rose specs, what was your prediction before season began? Just trying to put in perspective your joy at a 7-5 season ending with wins over UCONN and Syracuse (if that were to happen) as season enders.

See, way I view it was this being year 5, the Dazzler promised competing for league championships. In fact, you have a 4th place team in the Atlantic division. I also see what talent this team possesses that was disabled by some real deficient coaching, especially earlier in the season. What I also see is a team that, assuming Brown's injury is significant, and keeps him out early next season, that we have no known commodity at QB, since the staff either deceived themselves, or deceived us by suggesting that Wade could play QB at this level.

If it’s an ACL injury, then he will be back from summer ball. It’s a 6-9 month recovery but closer to 6. I even know a guy that came back to play soccer (a sport which puts a lot of pressure on the knees) at 4.5. With the medical care that will be provided to him, I have no doubt he will be back for summer ball.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I don't believe Daz could ever win 9 games (let alone 10) at BC. I doubt he'll ever win 8. But, as I said at the beginning of the year, he assembled one hell of a talented team by Year 5. That should be acknowledged. With a better coach, we beat WF and NCS. With a better coach and without the crazy amount of injuries, we could've won every game on the schedule.

For those wanting to test Daz's high water mark, everyone who was injured is back next year (except Landry). The OOC schedule is Wisconsin easy. At the end of the day, 8-wins should be the bare minimum. And, for TRE, an extension would be in the offing.

WF was not on the coaching. I like Brown and where he could be soon. But his WF performance was terrible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:00 am

Just finished the game. Got a chuckle knowing the hand wringing over the Perry thing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 am

PS kudos to the Daz marketing machine selling "BC lost nine starters". Must have heard that 8 times.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS kudos to the Daz marketing machine selling "BC lost nine starters". Must have heard that 8 times.

Thought it was worse last wk when Huard was the culprit.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm

some other things from last night:

not to pardon lichtenshank but that field was atrocious, the size of the divots was comical. we can play every road game there but jarmond better never give up a home game for that
yukon having the power 6 flag & yard markers is pretty embarrassing
on a similar note, that program is absolutely atrocious, with the state bankrupt and the amount students have to pay to support athletics among the highest in the nation wonder how long that program is around
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:some other things from last night:

not to pardon lichtenshank but that field was atrocious, the size of the divots was comical. we can play every road game there but jarmond better never give up a home game for that
yukon having the power 6 flag & yard markers is pretty embarrassing
on a similar note, that program is absolutely atrocious, with the state bankrupt and the amount students have to pay to support athletics among the highest in the nation wonder how long that program is around

Some of those divots looked like when I get too steep with an iron on the golf course
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:32 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:we can play every road game there but jarmond better never give up a home game for that

This.

Although it was kind of funny watching the grounds crew helplessly try to fix the divots during every TV timeout.

Always a good feeling to watch the "home team" fans file out of the stadium after your boys go up by 30. I hope they enjoyed the rain, and I'd like to remind them that they asked for this series. Be careful what you wish for.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm

How full were the stands under the awnings? It looked pretty dense.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:33 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:

Joy?! I called a potential 7-5 season "respectable" and said ending with wins, effectively a 5/6 ending including wins over Louisville and FSU, would be "surprisingly enjoyable." Don't really thing I'm being too effusive here...

Also, for what it's worth, Daz always said this would be a "5 year rebuild." Not a 4 year rebuild. He never said we would be rebuilt in time for this year. My understanding was always that 2017 was the final year of rebuilding. We'll be ready to compete in 2018. And the roster is as deep and talented as any we've seen since, I don't know, 2009? I'm being intentionally provocative right now, but Daz seems as accurate with the 5 year rebuild promise as he was about the "beautiful" promise.

dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Next time someone says how embarrassing BC is at football, I’m going to put you to the team we played last night
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:23 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Joy?! I called a potential 7-5 season "respectable" and said ending with wins, effectively a 5/6 ending including wins over Louisville and FSU, would be "surprisingly enjoyable." Don't really thing I'm being too effusive here...

Also, for what it's worth, Daz always said this would be a "5 year rebuild." Not a 4 year rebuild. He never said we would be rebuilt in time for this year. My understanding was always that 2017 was the final year of rebuilding. We'll be ready to compete in 2018. And the roster is as deep and talented as any we've seen since, I don't know, 2009? I'm being intentionally provocative right now, but Daz seems as accurate with the 5 year rebuild promise as he was about the "beautiful" promise.

I don't think Jarmond fires Addazio. I do not think that the BOT would let him.

That said, I do not want Addazio to get any kind of extension. What he has proven to be is (at best) an average Power-5 coach. That is the best I can say about him. His game day coaching ability is average (about 8th or 9th best in the ACC) and his recruiting is the worst. A 6-6 or 7-5 season is the best we will ever see with Addazio.

Just let him finish up his contract and bid him farewell, Office Space style.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

OK, well I guess we'll have to wait and see. Many questions pending. First things first, can BC beat Syracuse Saturday?

Putting this current season in perspective, you had wins over FSU and Louisville, that were neither world beaters. We lost to Wake and NC St. Now we can debate whether with the talent BC had, whether we SHOULDA' beat them both, but we didn't. In retrospect, one could attribute these losses to coaching. Now here's the rub. With returning talent next year, properly managed, and given the relatively light schedule, BC should be competitive throughout. But, is there reason to EXPECT that BC can overtake Clemson, FSU, Wake, and NC St. next season? How many games will be lost based solely on coaching deficiency? And how does one evaluate what the QB situation may be?

There is talent on this team, yes. There was optimistic improvement in critical areas, perhaps the MOST critical area, the OL. We have a beast in AJ Dillon. All of which suggest an up swing in BC's performance. After all this though, is it realistic to say BC is going to win a championship?
When they compete consistently against teams with better talent ( i.e. Clemson, FSU in our own division) and consistently beat Wake, NC St. Louisville and Syracuse, then you have restored to program to TOB levels of success. Championships? No. Not with this head coach. Not with his history that suggests he more often has restrained and inhibited progress and success, not advanced it. Not with a coach from one year to the next doesn't seem to know what kind of offense he wants to run. Read option? More throw game? Crack the rock? No, year 5, year 6, year 8? Doesn't matter.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:How full were the stands under the awnings? It looked pretty dense.

yeah i was upstairs but was pretty crowded under the overhangs.

any idea why the band wasn't there? too busy at the anti-trump rally downtown? not to pull a nospace but had the pleasure of walking through the antifa vs free speech crowds on saturday afternoon. that was enjoyable
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:10 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:OK, well I guess we'll have to wait and see. Many questions pending. First things first, can BC beat Syracuse Saturday?

Putting this current season in perspective, you had wins over FSU and Louisville, that were neither world beaters. We lost to Wake and NC St. Now we can debate whether with the talent BC had, whether we SHOULDA' beat them both, but we didn't. In retrospect, one could attribute these losses to coaching. Now here's the rub. With returning talent next year, properly managed, and given the relatively light schedule, BC should be competitive throughout. But, is there reason to EXPECT that BC can overtake Clemson, FSU, Wake, and NC St. next season? How many games will be lost based solely on coaching deficiency? And how does one evaluate what the QB situation may be?

I don't understand this whole "light schedule" argument for 2018. Sure, OOC is light, but Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami and VT. BC can take a giant step forward in 2018 and still go 7-5. That will be arguably the toughest conference schedule any team in the nation plays.

eagletx {l Wrote}:There is talent on this team, yes. There was optimistic improvement in critical areas, perhaps the MOST critical area, the OL. We have a beast in AJ Dillon. All of which suggest an up swing in BC's performance. After all this though, is it realistic to say BC is going to win a championship?
When they compete consistently against teams with better talent ( i.e. Clemson, FSU in our own division) and consistently beat Wake, NC St. Louisville and Syracuse, then you have restored to program to TOB levels of success. Championships? No. Not with this head coach. Not with his history that suggests he more often has restrained and inhibited progress and success, not advanced it. Not with a coach from one year to the next doesn't seem to know what kind of offense he wants to run. Read option? More throw game? Crack the rock? No, year 5, year 6, year 8? Doesn't matter.

When Daz was hired, his initial presser started with a strong statement that his goal at BC was to win championships. Not compete, not be an also-ran, but win championships. It's when some of us started reconsidering the hire after the morass of Spaz and still remembering the low bar set by TOB.

That championship goal was then immediately qualified with his famous "five year rebuild" schtick.

It's been 5 years. More than anything I want to see Daz go into 2018 not talking about youth, injuries and growth. I want him talking about championships again. And not just with the press, I want it to be his approach to the team. No more "win the opener and get bowl eligible." Fuck that. If we're rebuilt, let's talk ACC championship. Let's talk about it from day one and lets make it our goal.

This is all me just making way to much of Daz's arbitrary 5 year rebuild theory, but whatever. I'm getting sick of 7-5 and beating FSU and Louisville this year have re-awakened some of the excitement of '07 and '08.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 am

fyi i had his postgame presser on in the background yesterday and he started to talk about conference championships. laid out his 3 goals every year of win the opener, get bowl eligible and compete for conference championships. spoke about it along the lines of, it's time to take that step.

long edit: i don't like / am ambivalent about daz. i don't think he's a good coach and still does maddening things in game. i mean even over the last 2 weeks: not kneeling on the last plays of the game saturday (why subject our players to extra hits?). bringing the 1st team d back into the game after uconn put a td up in garbage time (lamont looked like he injured his ankle). clock management at the end of the ncst game (talking about the need to drive the field, they were down 3)

but as moj said there is no question he has upgraded the talent. this is a team that's 6-5, facing a top 15 sos, lost the best player for essentially the entire season, 4 captains have been out an avg of about 7 games, and lost starting qb.

this is far different than last year's 6-6
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:fyi i had his postgame presser on in the background yesterday and he started to talk about conference championships. laid out his 3 goals every year of win the opener, get bowl eligible and compete for conference championships. spoke about it along the lines of, it's time to take that step.

I think it was his best presser probably since his hiring.
That was noteworthy as was the mention that Cam Moore is out for the year after having surgery.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:How full were the stands under the awnings? It looked pretty dense.

yeah i was upstairs but was pretty crowded under the overhangs.

any idea why the band wasn't there? too busy at the anti-trump rally downtown? not to pull a nospace but had the pleasure of walking through the antifa vs free speech crowds on saturday afternoon. that was enjoyable

The pep band went to the Northeastern-BC hockey game. My guess is that UConn probably would have charged BC to block a section for the band.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:but as moj said there is no question he has upgraded the talent. this is a team that's 6-5, facing a top 15 sos, lost the best player for essentially the entire season, 4 captains have been out an avg of about 7 games, and lost starting qb.

this is far different than last year's 6-6

This is the only thing that makes me hesitate when we talk about firing Daz. We grew weary of his schtick a long time ago, but it resonates with 17-year olds.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium