BC vs. NC State Gameday - 11/11/2017

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs. NC State Gameday - 11/11/2017

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am

Jeff smith may very well be our best qb.

At the least we should see some wildcat sprinkled in.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:31 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm probably giving

i don't want to play into daz's injury narrative but lost 3 of 4 captains for year, best player & starting qb, that' being said they should be able to beat uconn w the 4th string walk on fadule

Fadule is out for the year

What happened to him?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:oh and what was that clown pa announcer doing on 3rd down? cringeworthy

Explain.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

basselope {l Wrote}:If we put Jeff Smith at QB with AJ at RB and ran Zone Read this offense would be better than good.

Agree, I also think Wade is capable here as well but maybe you know something that I do not.

That said, I dont expect Daz to make that bold of a change in one week.

Bigger question: Why wasn’t Wade practicing in this capacity himself this season? Frustrating the lack of preparation there especially after Brown had already been banged up this year several times.

I fully expect for them to have Wade act as a game manager against uconn until we get a big enough lead. Lots of Dillon carries, jet sweeps, etc. The problem is that wade needs to be smarter... throw the ball away, use his legs more, don’t take bad sacks, Etc. Not sure he is going to get that done. Either way, Dillon alone is probably enough to beat uconn although I expect the Fenway Park novelty to have them amped to play.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:44 am

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:oh and what was that clown pa announcer doing on 3rd down? cringeworthy

Explain.

Every third down he would say “Let’s get loud!” Or “Get loud!” Every time.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Explain.

even to a mostly empty stadium in the 4thQ.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
basselope {l Wrote}:If we put Jeff Smith at QB with AJ at RB and ran Zone Read this offense would be better than good.

Agree, I also think Wade is capable here as well but maybe you know something that I do not.

Bigger question: Why wasn’t Wade practicing in this capacity himself this season? Frustrating the lack of preparation there especially after Brown had already been banged up this year several times.

I fully expect for them to have Wade act as a game manager against uconn until we get a big enough lead. Lots of Dillon carries, jet sweeps, etc. The problem is that wade needs to be smarter... throw the ball away, use his legs more, don’t take bad sacks, Etc. Not sure he is going to get that done. Either way, Dillon alone is probably enough to beat uconn although I expect the Fenway Park novelty to have them amped to play.

This is why I still have hope for Wade.

The issues we've seen are related to a lack of poise moreso than a lack of talent. We've seen him make very accurate throws, especially while rolling out. We've also seen him make some good throws out of the pocket, though his height and the likelihood of more tipped balls is a concern.

The problem is that he doesn't look comfortable in the pocket. I'm hopeful that getting full time reps, shifting the OL and prepping them to defend a right side blind-side will allow Wade to develop much more comfort in the pocket and see more consistency with his passing.

Let's not forget that NCST has an excellent DL and Chubb is a beast. Brown didn't look any better than Wade yesterday. And again, Wade has exactly one career FBS start that we're basing these assessments on. Probably not fair to write him off yet.

If that was an ACL (and it sure looked like it), UConn is a great practice game for Wade, Syracuse will be a test and the bowl game will probably give us the best view into Wade's potential. Then we have to decide what we're doing in 2018 (i.e. Wade, Perry, a 5th year transfer?).

For now, everyone needs to settle down and forget this Smith, Perry, Fadule garbage.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:25 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Explain.

This was obviously an instruction from the top. Some people have complained about the boring PA announcer and now they have their wish, sort of. I will say, it did sort of encourage people to get somewhat loud. But definitely cringeworthy along with the forced we are...BC chants.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

There are somethings Daz says that really makes me wonder whether he understands football strategy at all.

Threw 4 straight passes with our shaky backup QB instead of turning to our 200 yard rusher who was moving the chains...why? Because "only 3 minutes on the clock, no timeouts and have to go the length of the field."

What?! No, Daz. Not at all. That's actually not at all true.

3 minutes is a lifetime in college football. Does Daz know the clock stops on 1st downs? And, I forget, but aren't we a hurry up offense now? 3 minutes is an eternity for a hurry up offense, especially mixing up run and pass.

Bottom line is that Dillon was more likely to get a 10 yard gain than Wade in that situation. Even if Dillon doesn't do it all on his own, running with 3 minutes left sets up play action, which Wade can handle better than pocket drop backs against a prevent. And we didn't need to go the length of the field, just to FG range.

The 4 straight passes with 3 minutes left was a far bigger mistake than the Hilliman pass Gambit, which I actually didn't have too big a problem with, though in retrospect was very costly.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

The issues we've seen are related to a lack of poise moreso than a lack of talent. We've seen him make very accurate throws, especially while rolling out. We've also seen him make some good throws out of the pocket, though his height and the likelihood of more tipped balls is a concern.

The problem is that he doesn't look comfortable in the pocket. I'm hopeful that getting full time reps, shifting the OL and prepping them to defend a right side blind-side will allow Wade to develop much more comfort in the pocket and see more consistency with his passing.

Let's not forget that NCST has an excellent DL and Chubb is a beast. Brown didn't look any better than Wade yesterday. And again, Wade has exactly one career FBS start that we're basing these assessments on. Probably not fair to write him off yet.

If that was an ACL (and it sure looked like it), UConn is a great practice game for Wade, Syracuse will be a test and the bowl game will probably give us the best view into Wade's potential. Then we have to decide what we're doing in 2018 (i.e. Wade, Perry, a 5th year transfer?).

For now, everyone needs to settle down and forget this Smith, Perry, Fadule garbage.

ACLs are only 6-9 month injuries now. He will miss spring ball surely but I suspect he will be back for summer ball. He will def lose some mobility surely but I think he can still be successful next year.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:05 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Explain.

This was obviously an instruction from the top. Some people have complained about the boring PA announcer and now they have their wish, sort of. I will say, it did sort of encourage people to get somewhat loud. But definitely cringeworthy along with the forced we are...BC chants.

I’ve always like the PA announcer. I can’t think of his name at the moment but he’s been doing it awhile and I think he’s pretty good at it. I dont think he was boring by any means.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Explain.

That fucking MC on the field trying to get the chant going every commercial break was pathetic even by BC standards.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 pm

Tom Burke is the worlds most boring PAA. He is even worse at hockey games.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Tom Burke is the worlds most boring PAA. He is even worse at hockey games.

He's fine; I just want a PA Announcer, not a cheerleader. If our fans suck, it's not his fault.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 am

The PA announcer is terrible on a good day but this was the first time he was Bush league
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I think Wade was hurt Sat. Idk if it was shown on TV, but from stands you could see him reaching for his ankle a few times. Holding the ball too long in the pocket is on him, but he was much more mobile when he came in vs Louisville and seemed like he couldn't move at all vs NCSU
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

There are somethings Daz says that really makes me wonder whether he understands football strategy at all.

Threw 4 straight passes with our shaky backup QB instead of turning to our 200 yard rusher who was moving the chains...why? Because "only 3 minutes on the clock, no timeouts and have to go the length of the field."

What?! No, Daz. Not at all. That's actually not at all true.

3 minutes is a lifetime in college football. Does Daz know the clock stops on 1st downs? And, I forget, but aren't we a hurry up offense now? 3 minutes is an eternity for a hurry up offense, especially mixing up run and pass.

Bottom line is that Dillon was more likely to get a 10 yard gain than Wade in that situation. Even if Dillon doesn't do it all on his own, running with 3 minutes left sets up play action, which Wade can handle better than pocket drop backs against a prevent. And we didn't need to go the length of the field, just to FG range.

The 4 straight passes with 3 minutes left was a far bigger mistake than the Hilliman pass Gambit, which I actually didn't have too big a problem with, though in retrospect was very costly.

Daz doesn't understand in-game strategy. This has been discussed forever on the board. As the game gets compressed, these decisions become worse (likely given the mental stress of the situation). We all recall last year's National Championship where Daz let the world know he didn't understand when the clock stopped and had Dabo kicking a FG like 4 plays before he did.

You specifically talked all game about how Wade would be fine and how he lead the team against Ville and would do so against NCS. Can't backtrack (ala teddy) and now say Daz shouldn't let him throw.

While 3 minutes is a long time. Daz is correct in that you need to throw when you have the ball on your own 29. You aren't going to pound the ball with no timeouts. The previous drive (leading to the missed FG saw 7 rushes for 19 yards and burned over 4 minutes of clock). Could you mix in a run? Sure. But, that's likely after you complete a couple of passes. Not to start the drive. So, while Dazoo is an idiot, Wade would have to be able to throw the ball for us to win in that situation. Ultimately, Wade's failure to throw the ball (in spite of his rousing Spring Game success) was the problem... not the decision to let him try to win the game.

Finally, I am glad that Daz admitted that he got back to calling the shots this game. I am glad he admitted that the Tebow jump-pass was his idea... practice as a special all week... and he made the call onto when to use it. It certainly explains the disjointed nature of the offense from when he gave up control and then re-established. That said, I give the man credit for taking the blame. In the past, he would have deflected... at least, he finally took ownership of something.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

I didn't backtrack. I said let him throw more than 2 yards, and roll him out to do so. The pocket, West Coast, Deep Sea Dana passing game when Wade comes in is dumb. What I said was that if you aren't going to let Wade make throws to win the game before desperation sets in, don't play him.

Rather see Wade implode trying to win, then Dillon running against 11 in the box. Or give the ball to Perry or McDonald. But enough of the conservative shit with the built in excuse.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:44 am

Further on that, the offense is more open with Brown because they were willing to let him throw vertically, not because he has been a world beater doing it. In destroying FSU, he was 6-20 for 54 yards. L'Ville he was 5-17 for 100 yards. Virginia was obviously a great game where everything clicked for him, and that's probably what he will be in a couple of years and it will be fun. But for now, what was opening up the offense was the mere threat, not the success.

Maybe Wade is checking down. He definitely doesn't have a good pocket presence. That's e all on him. But then why are they sitting him in the pocket and running short routes? It is getting no one anywhere and it is tightening up the D for Dillon. When they read option or roll him out, he actually threw pretty well and was less of a threat to get sacked because it is in front of him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I think Wade was hurt Sat. Idk if it was shown on TV, but from stands you could see him reaching for his ankle a few times. Holding the ball too long in the pocket is on him, but he was much more mobile when he came in vs Louisville and seemed like he couldn't move at all vs NCSU

I saw that too, along with number 8 (EJ Perry, apparently) warming up on the sideline. I assume that's not a normal thing, even in the cold of Saturday.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I saw that too, along with number 8 (EJ Perry, apparently) warming up on the sideline. I assume that's not a normal thing, even in the cold of Saturday.

He got hit low on one of the drives at the end of the first half. Limped off the field. Didn't seem to be too bad though. Perry did warm up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Maybe Wade is checking down. He definitely doesn't have a good pocket presence. That's e all on him. But then why are they sitting him in the pocket and running short routes? It is getting no one anywhere and it is tightening up the D for Dillon. When they read option or roll him out, he actually threw pretty well and was less of a threat to get sacked because it is in front of him.

Didn't he get sacked on a rollout? Wade checks-down too often. The stats throughout his career support this (high completion percentage, low yards per completion). He can and certainly should be successful against Yukon. But, for his 4th year in the program, he has a troubling lack of confidence in his arm. Look, the kid stuck with the program and graduated. I would love nothing more for him to get 3 games of good game tape (which will likely be used to showcase his talents to whatever MAC school he likely is transferring to next year).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Maybe Wade is checking down. He definitely doesn't have a good pocket presence. That's e all on him. But then why are they sitting him in the pocket and running short routes? It is getting no one anywhere and it is tightening up the D for Dillon. When they read option or roll him out, he actually threw pretty well and was less of a threat to get sacked because it is in front of him.

Didn't he get sacked on a rollout? Wade checks-down too often. The stats throughout his career support this (high completion percentage, low yards per completion). He can and certainly should be successful against Yukon. But, for his 4th year in the program, he has a troubling lack of confidence in his arm. Look, the kid stuck with the program and graduated. I would love nothing more for him to get 3 games of good game tape (which will likely be used to showcase his talents to whatever MAC school he likely is transferring to next year).

Wade's Resume:
- 1 career FBS start, against a team that played in the CFB Playoffs that year.
- Lots of garbage time hand offs, barely any garbage time passes.
- A half against Louisville where Dillon was destroying the defense and there was very little pressure on him (did well too).
- 3Q against a great DL and a DE who's going to go 1st Round in the draft.

I'd be surprised if he was really poised in the pocket with that little experience.

Aside from that, I agree with you on giving Wade a chance to build the resume for a transfer. Always seemed like a good kid and a "BC Guy." Don't know how great his transfer options were before the start of this past season, but he had every reason to transfer and he chose to stay, which was a great benefit this year. I hope he finishes strong and pulls together enough tape to land a starting gig somewhere, even if in the MAC.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Can always suit up for Delaware.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Wade is worse than Towles somehow
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium