Last BC QB performance as good as AB's this past Saturday?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Last BC QB performance as good as AB's this past Saturday?

Postby durkcal on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

When was the last BC QB performance that was as impressive as the one Anthony Brown put up against Virginia? 19-24, 275, 3td's , no INT's, 32 yds rushing

In my opinion it was 11/01/14 - Tyler Murphy against Virginia Tech. 127 yds rushing, 8/15 110 yds passing, 2 TD's, no INT's.

QB play is so crucial to BC performance against P5 teams, and it has been a long time since it has been decent.

Curious to see what others think.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Re: Last BC QB performance as good as AB's this past Saturday?

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:19 am

BC has been blessed with excellent QBs throughout the last 25 years (Foley, MattHass, TimHass, PaulPete, BSP, Matt Ryan, Tyler Murphy). Though not necessarily great, Hartsell, Mutryn, Porter, Crane, Don Davis and Rettig were still more than capable at this level.

QB play started to falter as soon as Spaz ran-off Cesspool (because of fit) and replaced him with Thornton Melon. Since then, BC has been a patchwork of youth, transfers and differing styles. After Billy Madison, we suffered through the painfully slow maturation of Rettig (who never really developed year-over-year). Dazoo brought us a fun year of Tyler Murphy but then blew up the position in an attempt to hand it to Wade as a sophomore. That brought us the space odyssey of Flutie-Fadule-Smith... followed by the Towles disaster last year. It should be the surprise to no one that Spaz/Daz-combo has struggled developing QBs. While their much-discussed shortcomings are a factor, the primary problem has been a revolving door of 7 OCs in 9 years.

From Foley to Ryan, each BC QB had at least 2 years as a starter. Since, only Rettig has accomplished the feat. Removing the Rettig years, BC has had 10 starting QBs over 6 seasons after Matty Ice.

We aren't out of the woods yet, AB is young and has shown promise. However, he has had only one great game (which could be a fluke as he was the 2nd worst QB in the conference prior to). Wade is certain to leave, so the depth behind him next year is complosed of 2 true freshmen (but both are decent recruits).

This is just a long way to say... yes, that was the best performance since Muph. But, considering who we've started since 2014, it really isn't saying much.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am

i'm sure i'm missing others but the game that jumped out at me was the cranium at rcc in 08, 34/51 428 yards 2 tds 1 pick & 3 rushing tds

looking forward, it was hit on in the other thread but having 6 starting offensive lineman return for '18 is going to be huge
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:15 am

not to get in the way of moj's racist-spaz agenda, but didn't cesspool fail out?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm sure i'm missing others but the game that jumped out at me was the cranium at rcc in 08, 34/51 428 yards 2 tds 1 pick & 3 rushing tds

looking forward, it was hit on in the other thread but having 6 starting offensive lineman return for '18 is going to be huge

That game got everyone back on the Crane Train after an unremarkable start to the season. Looking at the game notes it was a 15 yard Crane run that lifted the Eagles over the Pack. 5 TOT TDs is impressive no matter how you slice it.

I will always maintain Chase could have been one of the greats had his time not overlapped with Spazoo and four OCs.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 am

I understand that everyone looks at passing numbers first and foremost, but Tyler Murphy rushing for 191 yards on 13 carries against USC pops off the page at me looking back.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:53 am

The VT game where he threw for 110 and 2 TDs and ran for 127 and a TD also stands out.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The VT game where he threw for 110 and 2 TDs and ran for 127 and a TD also stands out.

The VT game flies under the radar because of what he did to USC, but it was no less impressive a performance.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Can I point out one thing... seemingly no (or very few) drops from the WRs these past 2 games. It's been an issue for 2 seasons basically but boy does it make a difference in moving the ball (duh). BC very well may have led the country in drops last year. That one simple problem can go a long way if fixed and let's hope it stays this way.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm

I put Brown's performance ahead of any of Tyler Murphy's games. I liked Murphy. He was the best rushing QB in college football that year and fun to watch but was completely one dimensional. AB is a complete QB and was outstanding last weekend in all aspects. His QBR was unreal.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I put Brown's performance ahead of any of Tyler Murphy's games. I liked Murphy. He was the best rushing QB in college football that year and fun to watch but was completely one dimensional. AB is a complete QB and was outstanding last weekend in all aspects. His QBR was unreal.

slow your roll. Kid finally threw the ball at his receivers after 6 games.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:06 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I put Brown's performance ahead of any of Tyler Murphy's games. I liked Murphy. He was the best rushing QB in college football that year and fun to watch but was completely one dimensional. AB is a complete QB and was outstanding last weekend in all aspects. His QBR was unreal.

I’ll acknowledge it’s too early to tell, but AB has a lot of promise. He threw much better last weekend (as a freshman) than Murphy or Towles ever did.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I’ll acknowledge it’s too early to tell, but AB has a lot of promise. He threw much better last weekend (as a freshman) than Murphy or Towles ever did.

And Murphy ran a thousand times better than he ever will throwing similarly inaccurately
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am

That was the best performance by a BC QB since Willie Hicks against Ohio State in 1989. Down 34-7, Willie lead BC to a massive comeback. On the last play Bicknell elected to run a fullback instead of giving Willie another chance and BC lost 34-29.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:That was the best performance by a BC QB since Willie Hicks against Ohio State in 1989. Down 34-7, Willie lead BC to a massive comeback. On the last play Bicknell elected to run a fullback instead of giving Willie another chance and BC lost 34-29.

Ed Toner up the gut!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:not to get in the way of moj's racist-spaz agenda, but didn't cesspool fail out?

Yes.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:47 am

I was at that BC OSU game. Taking the ball out of Hicks's hands with the game on the line was maybe the worst coaching move in BC history...even worse than TOB thinking he had to go for 2 in OT against Miami. Hicks was unstoppable in that game.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:20 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The VT game where he threw for 110 and 2 TDs and ran for 127 and a TD also stands out.

The VT game flies under the radar because of what he did to USC, but it was no less impressive a performance.

The VT game flies so far under the radar it was mentioned in the first post in this thread.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

The VT game flies so far under the radar it was mentioned in the first post in this thread.

we'll miss you during your time of murter
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium