BC vs. Virginia gameday thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC vs. Virginia gameday thread

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 pm

i know raleigh is nothing to to write home about but it's incredibly easy and cheap. ton of flights to rdu, easy tailgating and reentry
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ZBC2001 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 pm

The commentary on the Heinz Hammer's diet and weight loss was an amusing aside to today's broadcast.

It's fun when BC wins.
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm

I referring to taking a trip not just the football stadium. I would rather go to Miami, Atlanta, UVA, UNC and Pittsburgh vs Syracuse
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I referring to taking a trip not just the football stadium. I would rather go to Miami, Atlanta, UVA, UNC and Pittsburgh vs Syracuse

Pitt actually has a, much, worse game day atmosphere than BC. Atlanta is one of the worst cities in America.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I referring to taking a trip not just the football stadium. I would rather go to Miami, Atlanta, UVA, UNC and Pittsburgh vs Syracuse

Pitt actually has a, much, worse game day atmosphere than BC. Atlanta is one of the worst cities in America.

I’m actually fine with Atlanta. If you stay up in Buckhead instead of downtown you might find a different experience. The Ritz is real nice up there.

I went to a Bruins playoff game up in Pittsburgh. I was pretty unimpressed not sure that’s a BC road trip worth doing in 2019 when we play there.

As Claver referenced Raleigh is a good one. I’m well in the minority on this but I enjoy VT for a weekend but it’s not for everyone.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:UVA could finish 5-7. The Coastal would be a better division for BC. I also like the destinations better than the Atlantic.

Which destinations are better than FSU & Clemson?

Tallahassee sucks even for a game.

This has been the most pleasant day for BC sports in about 3 years

Going back to this Tallahassee is a hassle to get to fight wise.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:53 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Does someone tapped into the program have some insight on how this happened?

I’m not buying it just magically happened.

I am not tapped into the program, but I would say it's a combination of Anthony Brown improving quickly, AJ Dillon being the featured back and the play calling putting these guys in a position to succeed.

Has the play calling really changed that much?

Only difference I see is now we have a lot of 3rd and shorts which adds flexibility to your play calling (run or pass) as opposed to 3rd and 10 when we couldn’t run the ball on first and second.

I think the execution by the players has def improved but in my mind the coaching is the same.

Perhaps it's just Anthony Brown being able to hit his passes that makes the play calling look better. But we seem to be a bit more aggressive.

Hate to say it, and definitely may eat my words a few weeks from now, but it's also possible that we lost 4 games early in the year to very good teams (even Wake looks like a top ACC team this year), have had injuries all over the place, and the youth needed time to develop. Just like Daz has been saying all year. And now that it's finally coming together it's...what does he like to say in all those obnoxious press converences...it's "beautiful."

I think the D took a big step forward as soon as we started playing Landry every down. Just making offenses game plan for Landry, even an injured Landry, has allowed the rests of the DL to shine.

Also, OL looks really good right now. It's always been about the OL and if they're coming together the offense should move.

4-4 with very beatable FSU, NCST, UConn and Syracuse remaining.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm

BC's in good shape. That was a hell of a win. Nicely done guys. Great coaching performance Addazio.

I didn't think a Bowl game was possible this season. Now, its likely.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:04 pm

NC St and Cuse are going to be tough.
Really think our best chance of a third win in conference might be FSU.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Daz post-game press conference:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u4oemOEK2yo
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Does someone tapped into the program have some insight on how this happened?

The OLine has been playing well for weeks now. Basically since Notre Dame. The reason we sputtered for so long was mostly coaching. Giving the ball to Dillon last week turned Hilliman's touches into first downs and some freakish long ones. This week UVA came in determined to stop the run and shot themselves in the foot. On both White and Smith's TD, all the UVA defenders were within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. One guy misses and we were off.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Daz post-game press conference:

It's not just me, right? I mean, it's obvious from these interviews that Daz reads these boards, right?

Congrats on the win, Steve. Keep it up. And congrats on the weight loss. Next step if you really want to take care of your health, wear more sun screen. The farmers tan is severe and melanoma kills.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:51 pm

you know, I think the number of times he said you know doesn’t make me think he’s any less retarded.

good luck on the short bus week turn around, corky. I’m glad you caught yourself and also admitted that Florida state has the same turnaround.

but bless that retard... he squeezed out two wins over teams that were overrated.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:01 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I am not tapped into the program, but I would say it's a combination of Anthony Brown improving quickly, AJ Dillon being the featured back and the play calling putting these guys in a position to succeed.

Only difference I see is now we have a lot of 3rd and shorts which adds flexibility to your play calling (run or pass) as opposed to 3rd and 10 when we couldn’t run the ball on first and second.

I think the execution by the players has def improved but in my mind the coaching is the same.

Perhaps it's just Anthony Brown being able to hit his passes that makes the play calling look better. But we seem to be a bit more aggressive.

Hate to say it, and definitely may eat my words a few weeks from now, but it's also possible that we lost 4 games early in the year to very good teams (even Wake looks like a top ACC team this year), have had injuries all over the place, and the youth needed time to develop. Just like Daz has been saying all year. And now that it's finally coming together it's...what does he like to say in all those obnoxious press converences...it's "beautiful."

I think the D took a big step forward as soon as we started playing Landry every down. Just making offenses game plan for Landry, even an injured Landry, has allowed the rests of the DL to shine.

Also, OL looks really good right now. It's always been about the OL and if they're coming together the offense should move.

Yes. You will eat your words.

That said, we lost games against 3 very good teams and we lost to Wake. Wake is not good. They are more beatable than Cuse, NCS and FSU. I don't think they'll qualify for a bowl. That said, a loss to a team you should beat is to be expected when you are in the midst of a youth movement... especially early in the year. The remaining games will determine if that is what happened or if these last 2 games were merely the anamolous result of Dazoo trying to save his job.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:49 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

I haven't tracked the changes, and when they occurred, but they seemed to arrive at a nice combination of players on the offensive line. It's not the lineup at the beginning of the season, due to injury and what not, but the evolution there has been as significant as any. Add Brown's slowing maturity and Dillon leaving Hilliman in the dust, and the fundamentals have come together. On defense, they still have issues. The LB crew ain't great, and they had a few tackling problems yesterday.

I think this if basically the case. Despite what Keeper keeps saying there is some good talent on this team. I think the coaching really retarded their development, and frankly didn't help their confidence about their capabilities. I think that blow out against Louisville helped to wake them up a bit.

Or maybe, the Dazzler is simply a coaching genius, and that genius was unrecognizable until now.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

The OLine has been playing well for weeks now. Basically since Notre Dame. The reason we sputtered for so long was mostly coaching. Giving the ball to Dillon last week turned Hilliman's touches into first downs and some freakish long ones. This week UVA came in determined to stop the run and shot themselves in the foot. On both White and Smith's TD, all the UVA defenders were within 6 yards of the line of scrimmage. One guy misses and we were off.

Yeah, the OLINE evolving has to be a real key. They seemed to have stumbled on the right combo of players due to injuries or whatever, and making Dillon, who is the real deal, the feature now provides a foundation for the offense.

Then add in a little in game circumstance, like Louisville defense quitting, and throwing in the towel last week, and UVa not adjusting at all to their plan that if they stuff Dillon, they stuff BC, and a dash of Brown maturing, and you get a planetary alignment. Oh yeah, then maybe these last two teams took BC a little lightly....

Despite Keepers assertions, there is young talent on this team. I think the coaching hasn't helped to maximize/develop whats there because they have been too conservative, too unimaginative, fearing they'll ruin their "confidence". From that perspective, I think that game last week helped players confidence after beating a team everyone thought they had no chance against.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Daz post-game press conference:

Shit, does he speak to his boss like this every day? If I were the A.D., I couldn't handle this guy.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:40 am

my favorite aspect of his pressers is him stating an opinion and then backing it up by saying 'that's a fact' or something along those lines, tre might be onto something with this gym teacher
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Yes. You will eat your words.

That said, we lost games against 3 very good teams and we lost to Wake. Wake is not good. They are more beatable than Cuse, NCS and FSU. I don't think they'll qualify for a bowl. That said, a loss to a team you should beat is to be expected when you are in the midst of a youth movement... especially early in the year. The remaining games will determine if that is what happened or if these last 2 games were merely the anamolous result of Dazoo trying to save his job.

It will be interesting what happens now. Neither Louisville or Va are great teams, not Clemson or even NC St good. No one will take BC lightly now. Next friday will be interesting as it will tell whether BC has really turned a corner. FSU is struggling for sure, but they have more talent across the board than BC, so will they come in angry and play to their potential, and then how will BC match up.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:05 pm

The last two games were great. I can't deny I am very happy with the team and (especially) Addazio. Those weren't his BEST coaching performances with the team, but both of those wins were in the top five of all time (IMHO.) At the moment, I have no criticisms of the junior high school phys-ed teacher. He is earning every penny of his contract.

That said, I don't think this changes a thing. I don't think Jarmond is all that impressed. I think Jarmond is very happy, just not impressed. I don't think this is going to get Addazio an extension from Jarmond. I don't think we are going to have him pacing the sidelines for the 2020 season. Addazio has (at most) 31 games left to his Power-5 head coaching career.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:01 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The last two games were great. I can't deny I am very happy with the team and (especially) Addazio. Those weren't his BEST coaching performances with the team, but both of those wins were in the top five of all time (IMHO.) At the moment, I have no criticisms of the junior high school phys-ed teacher. He is earning every penny of his contract.

That said, I don't think this changes a thing. I don't think Jarmond is all that impressed. I think Jarmond is very happy, just not impressed. I don't think this is going to get Addazio an extension from Jarmond. I don't think we are going to have him pacing the sidelines for the 2020 season. Addazio has (at most) 31 games left to his Power-5 head coaching career.

I do wonder if these games show them how to win and get rid of that culture of losing. A big part of it is just believing you’re going to win
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm

FSU's QB got wallopped on the last play of the game and was still on the ground when ESPN cut to the next game. They might be starting their 3rd string QB on Friday.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:The last two games were great. I can't deny I am very happy with the team and (especially) Addazio. Those weren't his BEST coaching performances with the team, but both of those wins were in the top five of all time (IMHO.) At the moment, I have no criticisms of the junior high school phys-ed teacher. He is earning every penny of his contract.

I do wonder if these games show them how to win and get rid of that culture of losing. A big part of it is just believing you’re going to win

There was a moment in the press conference when Daz was asked about having a big lead, and Daz almost seemed surprised by how nice it is to have e a big lead. Almost as though he suddenly realized that there might be a better goal to have for an offense than "being in it going into the 4th quarter."

Reading into it way too much, but almost looked as though Daz realized that putting up lots of points is good in football.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:26 am

What the hell kind of alternate reality have we been placed in

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... eek-8-2017

I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium