Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:00 am

Does AA include black people who are not of African descent or not American? Like a black person from the Dominican Republic? Would that still meet his needs?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am

Can someone explain the math of "they'll make the money back on the Daz buyout and signing Chip for $4 million"?

Where is this $6.5 million coming from?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:an AA candidate

African-American?

probably, but i was hoping for alcoholics anonymous

Steve Sarkisian would be an upgrade.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone explain the math of "they'll make the money back on the Daz buyout and signing Chip for $4 million"?

The increased sales of $8 beers.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:41 am

me thinks the increases in shakedowns are coming under jarmond.

last week got the 'give 110%' flyer in the mail trying to get all donors to increase their contribution by 10%
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone explain the math of "they'll make the money back on the Daz buyout and signing Chip for $4 million"?

They can just cut four or five football scholarships.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:me thinks the increases in shakedowns are coming under jarmond.

last week got the 'give 110%' flyer in the mail trying to get all donors to increase their contribution by 10%

Play better.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

The increased sales of $8 beers.

Well played.

People say this all the time and I'm pretty sure the math doesn't work like that unless you're using the same screwy accounting logic that BC uses for scholarships
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm

They just raised a shit ton of money to put a turf field indoors. The increased interest in football and concomitant increase in checkbook opening by simply shit-canning Captain Boredom and hiring the guy with the most exciting offense in college football history will cover the $6.5 million.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Does AA include black people who are not of African descent or not American? Like a black person from the Dominican Republic? Would that still meet his needs?

i'll also admit that the grand generalization of "afro-american/african american" has bothered me for some time for just the reason you point out. is it considered racist to call a person "black?" i think it's less offensive than assuming their ancestry is africa

p and s - i am not oj, 0j, or domino12
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They just raised a shit ton of money to put a turf field indoors. The increased interest in football and concomitant increase in checkbook opening by simply shit-canning Captain Boredom and hiring the guy with the most exciting offense in college football history will cover the $6.5 million.

This. Plus if MJ excels at fund raising, he goes to Leahy with the $6.5mm in hand and informs the good Padre that Sgt. Slaughter will be relieved of his duties as head coach.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 pm

I would have to assume that there are plenty of people that like to see their names on faux gothic architecture that would write a few checks to help stop their alma mater from embarrassing itself on national television 4-5 times a year.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I would have to assume that there are plenty of people that like to see their names on faux gothic architecture that would write a few checks to help stop their alma mater from embarrassing itself on national television 4-5 times a year.

I think this too but the fact that they haven't yet is what concerns me.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:article on our next hc: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... se-fordham

He would do very well at BC. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:31 pm

The money is easy, do the math. The average attendance will go up each year with Moorhead. Just 5,000 per game for 6 games at $50 per seat is $1,250,000 x 5 years = $7.5 million. Average attendance has been 30,000 the last couple of years. I see the increase at least 10,000 and eventually 15,000. That is not counting concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

BC will lose more than 6.5 million if they do not buy Daz out.

Moorhead is the clear choice. I'm worried about MJ making the right choice. He is not a businessman and his comment at The Gridiron Club that BC would never pay a coach 8 million a year is premature. BC knows what their revenues are now, but if Moorhead is highly successful we do not know how much our revenues will increase. That number is unknown and without it one can never say what BC will be willing to pay a coach to protect that revenue stream. I remember telling a trustee friend of mine after TC's 2nd year that BC should offer him a ten year, ten million dollar contract. The trustee laughed saying that BC would never pay that for a coach and that the faculty would be in an uproar! Daz gets 2.5 million! The whole concern of image and faculty outrage has long since passed at BC. We need to hire Moorhead and keep him here for 25 years. Average to poor coaches will never survive at BC. We can't keep cycling through 2.5 million per year coaches, eating their contracts to the tune of 5 million per year, 2.5 for the old coach still on the payroll and 2.5 for the new coach! We can't be a fucking steppingstone!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The money is easy, do the math. The average attendance will go up each year with Moorhead. Just 5,000 per game for 6 games at $50 per seat is $1,250,000 x 5 years = $7.5 million. Average attendance has been 30,000 the last couple of years. I see the increase at least 10,000 and eventually 15,000. That is not counting concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

Moorhead is the clear choice. I'm worried about MJ making the right choice. He is not a businessman and his comment at The Gridiron Club that BC would never pay a coach 8 million a year is premature. BC knows what their revenues are now, but if Moorhead is highly successful we do not know how much our revenues will increase. That number is unknown and without it one can never say what BC will be willing to pay a coach to protect that revenue stream. I remember telling a trustee friend of mine after TC's 2nd year that BC should offer him a ten year, ten million dollar contract. The trustee laughed saying that BC would never pay that for a coach and that the faculty would be in an uproar! Daz gets 2.5 million! The whole concern of image and faculty outrage has long since passed at BC. We need to hire Moorhead and keep him here for 25 years. Average to poor coaches will never survive at BC. We can't keep cycling through 2.5 million per year coaches, eating their contracts to the tune of 5 million per year, 2.5 for the old coach still on the payroll and 2.5 for the new coach! We can't be a fucking steppingstone!

While this is conceptually true, its not the case with Morehead. Im not arguing that he would be good/bad, but he will not make a material difference in contributions or attendance, hes not a big enough name in the near term. To see the type of immediate impact that youre projecting, its someone like Kelly (or maybe O'Brien). Maybe in the long run with success (if he were to stay), but for immediate impact, you need to make a bigger splash.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:43 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The money is easy, do the math. The average attendance will go up each year with Moorhead. Just 5,000 per game for 6 games at $50 per seat is $1,250,000 x 5 years = $7.5 million. Average attendance has been 30,000 the last couple of years. I see the increase at least 10,000 and eventually 15,000. That is not counting concessions, parking, merchandise, etc.

in the history of bad posts on this board, this post may be the worst. I don't know how he does it, but corners has figured out how to post like a 16 year old that thinks he knows everything from his experience on ps college football dynasty mode. there is so much hyperbole, false assumption, and downright stupidity in his post, I don't know where to start criticizing.

CORNERS WORST POSTER for search bar purposes to quote in december
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: We can't keep cycling through 2.5 million per year coaches, eating their contracts to the tune of 5 million per year, 2.5 for the old coach still on the payroll and 2.5 for the new coach! We can't be a fucking steppingstone!

What a world it would be if LSU, Florida, South Carolina remain as steppingstones but somehow Boston College isn't.

Every college program in America is a "stepping stone" (except maybe Alabama) to some other job - NFL if not other college job.

If you doubt me ask Florida Coach Urban Meyer or LSU Coach Nick Saban.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:16 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
While this is conceptually true, its not the case with Morehead. Im not arguing that he would be good/bad, but he will not make a material difference in contributions or attendance, hes not a big enough name in the near term. To see the type of immediate impact that youre projecting, its someone like Kelly (or maybe O'Brien). Maybe in the long run with success (if he were to stay), but for immediate impact, you need to make a bigger splash.

correct

probably 90% of the people who go to bc games don't know who moorehead is
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:24 am

in the history of bad posts on this board, this post may be the worst. I don't know how he does it, but corners has figured out how to post like a 16 year old that thinks he knows everything from his experience on ps college football dynasty mode. there is so much hyperbole, false assumption, and downright stupidity in his post, I don't know where to start criticizing.

You captured my thoughts exactly....where to start....
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 am

I miss college football dynasty mode on PlayStation. :shrug
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:48 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:in the history of bad posts on this board, this post may be the worst. I don't know how he does it, but corners has figured out how to post like a 16 year old that thinks he knows everything from his experience on ps college football dynasty mode. there is so much hyperbole, false assumption, and downright stupidity in his post, I don't know where to start criticizing.

You captured my thoughts exactly....where to start....

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:13 am

hansen {l Wrote}:I miss college football dynasty mode on PlayStation. :shrug

Want to start an online league? I still have the last season they released it.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

One would think he'd go out on a high note after being right about serving alcohol in Alumni, but instead he decides to double-down on stupidity.

CORNERS WORST POSTER

CORNERS SPM
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
probably 90% of the people who go to bc games don't know who moorehead is

90% might be too generous
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:25 am

Back to the big boy conversation, Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien would boost attendance, and more importantly from a fiscal standpoint, cause more checkbooks to open.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Back to the big boy conversation, Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien would boost attendance, and more importantly from a fiscal standpoint, cause more checkbooks to open.

i think the impact would be minimal in both attendance and donation prior to a change in the winning percentage/product on the field.

we as a society are much more prone to dropping something out of our lives than we are to adding something to our lives; and the locals have proven time and again that they have no interest in bc. a coaching change alone would not alter that behavior in my opinion
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Back to the big boy conversation, Chip Kelly or Bill O'Brien would boost attendance, and more importantly from a fiscal standpoint, cause more checkbooks to open.

i think the impact would be minimal in both attendance and donation prior to a change in the winning percentage/product on the field.

we as a society are much more prone to dropping something out of our lives than we are to adding something to our lives; and the locals have proven time and again that they have no interest in bc. a coaching change alone would not alter that behavior in my opinion

I think you are both correct. First, teddy is correct that ONLY a coach like Bill O'Brien or Chip Kelly would generate the type of buzz/attention that would result in a marked increase in ticket sales and donations. But, TRE is correct that human nature is such that those increases would be muted as to what they might have been 10-years ago (i.e. before most gave up caring).

As for the locals, they would initially be attracted to BC football as a novelty based upon the sudden noise surrounding a big-name hire. However, that will fade as soon as they realize we aren't immediately/magically going 10-2.

I think those who want a Dazoo change need to be prepared for a replacement coach who will work for under $2mm per year. Now... there are some up-and-comers who would potentially take the job (e.g. Neal Brown, Joe Moorhead) for that price. There are also likely some retreads that would be willing to get another chance as well (e.g. Schiano, Miles, Strong). All their interest is based upon their knowledge that they would be one good season at BC away from getting a real job. Chip or BOB ain't happening... so there is as much reason to discuss them as there is filling in the corners.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:41 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:article on our next hc: https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... se-fordham

He would do very well at BC. :ace

Valecce and Moorhead. The irony of Fordham saving BC football.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium