Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:21 pm

Todd Fitch gonna try and pull a Raheem Morris and make a play for the permanent gig.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:52 am

i know :thehjs

from feldman:
Feldman: 20 names to know as the college football coaching carousel gets going

8. Jeff Hafley, Boston College
The Eagles hit a home run in hiring the 41-year-old New Jersey native, and his early success is not surprising. Hafley worked wonders improving the Ohio State defense last year and has long been known as a fantastic recruiter. He’s 6-4 with a close loss at Clemson. It’s only been one year as a head coach, and that isn’t much of a sample, but if I’m Michigan and I have to make a candidates list, he’s higher on my list than a lot of the usual suspects.

https://theathletic.com/2228190/2020/11 ... -campbell/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:53 pm

satterfield after emphatically denying interest in the south carolina job apparently interviewed for the SC job yesterday
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:satterfield after emphatically denying interest in the south carolina job apparently interviewed for the SC job yesterday

He’s a very good coach who is about the best South Carolina can do. They should not delay hiring him, because he will be removing his name in a few days. Have to think Purdue would pay Ville to take Brohm off their hands.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Satterfield’s teams play no defense. You can succeed at this level without a decent defense. South Carolina is a very difficult job. They should an NFL assistant, maybe a QB coach.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Defense is hard, defense is tough, ACC is tough, green eggs and ham, sam I am.

Go Eagles!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:58 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Satterfield’s teams play no defense. You can succeed at this level without a decent defense. South Carolina is a very difficult job. They should an NFL assistant, maybe a QB coach.

Go Eagles!

ESPN reporting that he is staying at Louisville. Too bad, he is one of the better coaches in the ACC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:12 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Satterfield’s teams play no defense. You can succeed at this level without a decent defense. South Carolina is a very difficult job. They should an NFL assistant, maybe a QB coach.

Go Eagles!

ESPN reporting that he is staying at Louisville. Too bad, he is one of the better coaches in the ACC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... head-coach
They are hiring Shane Beamer.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 am

Harbaugh expected to get an extension. Like I said, his job h til he doesn’t want it anymore.

I’d imagine a house cleaning of the staff in the off season in the hopes that that’s why Michigan has been terrible (it probably isn’t).
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Satterfield got turned down for Shane Beamer and his AD threw him under the bus to Louisville fans. Hopefully this leads to him flaming out.

Also, Beamer getting the South Carolina job shows that College Football is the worst Old Boys Network around. He will suck there. I am surprised they couldn't do better. Promising an Augusta Membership got them Holtz and Spurrier.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:20 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Satterfield got turned down for Shane Beamer and his AD threw him under the bus to Louisville fans. Hopefully this leads to him flaming out.

Also, Beamer getting the South Carolina job shows that College Football is the worst Old Boys Network around. He will suck there. I am surprised they couldn't do better. Promising an Augusta Membership got them Holtz and Spurrier.

1. Satterfield is a good coach and it would have been good to get him out of Louisville;
B) The S Carolina job comes with an August membership????
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:24 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Satterfield got turned down for Shane Beamer and his AD threw him under the bus to Louisville fans. Hopefully this leads to him flaming out.

1. Satterfield is a good coach and it would have been good to get him out of Louisville;

Yes on Augusta. It is specifically why Spurrier wanted it. Although it is in Georgia, it is right on the boarder and has many powerful South Carolina alums. Do you remember Hootie Johnson? He was a South Carolina guy.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm

I’ve been to games there. SC is a pretty tough job. Not as tough as Vandy but tough
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Yes on Augusta. It is specifically why Spurrier wanted it. Although it is in Georgia, it is right on the boarder and has many powerful South Carolina alums. Do you remember Hootie Johnson? He was a South Carolina guy.

Surprising that August would have such an arraignment. Bet it goes back to their charter. I did wonder how Holtz was a member. When I was there, all of the :skank working at Berckman's were S. Carolina students.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:12 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I’ve been to games there. SC is a pretty tough job. Not as tough as Vandy but tough

really tough job right now. clemson in state is at peak of their powers. in division, kirby is a recruiting juggernaut, mullen has florida rolling and stoops has kent a borderline top 25 program. plus from north you have mack grabbing a top 10 class annually
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:47 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Surprising that August would have such an arraignment. Bet it goes back to their charter. I did wonder how Holtz was a member. When I was there, all of the :skank working at Berckman's were S. Carolina students.

Holtz was a member before he took the South Carolina job. Spurrier got in because of it.

As for the real USC, it has been a hard place to win, but if you look at it, there really isn’t a reason it should be so hard. The facilities are very good, the school—at least the center of it—has a beautiful campus. It has a fun college town right of campus and it is in the heart of sum of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. All you really need to win there is a good coach, which Muschamp was not (and everyone except the USC hiring committee knew it after his tenure at Florida). Also, it’s alumni base is a lot wealthier then Clemson’s relatively poor alumni base.

South Carolina has had three relatively successful coaches over the past 30 odd years. Joe Morrison, who, unfortunately dropped dead of a massive heart attack ending a tenure that included a couple of 10 win seasons, Holtz, who put together a few 10 win seasons before he burned out and Spurrier, who had a few 10 win seasons before burning out. The point is, if elderly Lou Holtz and elderly Steve Spurrier can post multiple double digit seasons, a good coach in his prime should have similar success. The problem with South Carolina has always been that they usually make shitty hires like Muschamp and Baby Beamer.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:17 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Holtz was a member before he took the South Carolina job. Spurrier got in because of it.

As for the real USC, it has been a hard place to win, but if you look at it, there really isn’t a reason it should be so hard. The facilities are very good, the school—at least the center of it—has a beautiful campus. It has a fun college town right of campus and it is in the heart of sum of the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. All you really need to win there is a good coach, which Muschamp was not (and everyone except the USC hiring committee knew it after his tenure at Florida). Also, it’s alumni base is a lot wealthier then Clemson’s relatively poor alumni base.

South Carolina has had three relatively successful coaches over the past 30 odd years. Joe Morrison, who, unfortunately dropped dead of a massive heart attack ending a tenure that included a couple of 10 win seasons, Holtz, who put together a few 10 win seasons before he burned out and Spurrier, who had a few 10 win seasons before burning out. The point is, if elderly Lou Holtz and elderly Steve Spurrier can post multiple double digit seasons, a good coach in his prime should have similar success. The problem with South Carolina has always been that they usually make shitty hires like Muschamp and Baby Beamer.

I agree with AngryDick. If Clemson can be regular National Championship contenders, there is no structural reason USC cannot. The only issue as I see it is that they have constantly failed in the hiring process. I thought Satterfield is exactly the direction that program should've taken. Get a young guy who is up-and-coming and has shown some level of competency. Basically, find a version of Jeff Hafley. The difference being that USC actually would have a chance of keeping him (as opposed to BC being a stepping stone for Jeff). Perhaps, the old money at SC is too insecure with the idea that a good coach could be poached and as a result sticks with retreads and folks whose names are synonymous with other programs (Holtz-ND, Spurrier-UF, Muschamp- UF, Beamer-VT).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I agree with AngryDick. If Clemson can be regular National Championship contenders, there is no structural reason USC cannot. The only issue as I see it is that they have constantly failed in the hiring process. I thought Satterfield is exactly the direction that program should've taken. Get a young guy who is up-and-coming and has shown some level of competency. Basically, find a version of Jeff Hafley. The difference being that USC actually would have a chance of keeping him (as opposed to BC being a stepping stone for Jeff). Perhaps, the old money at SC is too insecure with the idea that a good coach could be poached and as a result sticks with retreads and folks whose names are synonymous with other programs (Holtz-ND, Spurrier-UF, Muschamp- UF, Beamer-VT).

Sounds like they need a Ryan Day, not a Jeff Hafley
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

There’s a long history of college football coaches at Augusta. Frank Broyles was a member for 50 years and used to eat lunch on the porch in between rounds until Billy Payne told him he needed to take a break and eat lunch in the dining room like everyone else.

There is a story about Darrell Royal, who played with Broyles there regularly, being invited to join but his wife threw away the letter because she thought they couldn’t afford it. He supposedly didn’t find out for years.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:41 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

There’s a long history of college football coaches at Augusta. Frank Broyles was a member for 50 years and used to eat lunch on the porch in between rounds until Billy Payne told him he needed to take a break and eat lunch in the dining room like everyone else.

There is a story about Darrell Royal, who played with Broyles there regularly, being invited to join but his wife threw away the letter because she thought they couldn’t afford it. He supposedly didn’t find out for years.

The Royal story is 100% true. The former head of the UT Boosters association, who was my boss a decade ago and whose family had been very close with the Royals for 50 years told me about it and joked that it almost lead to a divorce. Part of the reason that Mrs. Royal was scared was that he husband was already a member at Colonial, Shady Oaks and Brook Hollow--what she did not know was that he was an honorary member at all three, along with Preston Trail once that opened and didn't pay a dime in dues and certainly never had to buy a lunch or dinner (although he was purportedly a very generous tipper with the caddies).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:03 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

The Royal story is 100% true. The former head of the UT Boosters association, who was my boss a decade ago and whose family had been very close with the Royals for 50 years told me about it and joked that it almost lead to a divorce. Part of the reason that Mrs. Royal was scared was that he husband was already a member at Colonial, Shady Oaks and Brook Hollow--what she did not know was that he was an honorary member at all three, along with Preston Trail once that opened and didn't pay a dime in dues and certainly never had to buy a lunch or dinner (although he was purportedly a very generous tipper with the caddies).

:laugh This is the content, the gold that this board spins off every so often.

He probably let her think he paid dues at those other places so that she wouldn't harass him to purchase things that could go to his mistress. Then Augusta writes and she tosses the letter! :laugh
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Don Brown finally got a stop against Ohio St.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Don Brown finally got a stop against Ohio St.

Doubt Harbaugh is at Michigan much longer now that he and the AD have been exposed as cowards.

Herbie is definitely owed an apology. The bombastic response from the Michigan AD was quite a tell that they got called out before they were prepared to let the public know there was no chance they play OSU.

Change their song to "Hail to the cowards"! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:

Doubt Harbaugh is at Michigan much longer now that he and the AD have been exposed as cowards.

Herbie is definitely owed an apology. The bombastic response from the Michigan AD was quite a tell that they got called out before they were prepared to let the public know there was no chance they play OSU.

Nice try
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:47 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Nice try

Seems fair, after all, Ann Arbor is a filthy whore.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:54 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Nice try

Seems fair, after all, Ann Arbor is a filthy whore.

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Sumlin out. The Pac 12 is in a weird place as the depth of talent in California declines. I also think that to win at Arizona you've got to recruit the western Jucos well.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:42 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Sumlin out. The Pac 12 is in a weird place as the depth of talent in California declines. I also think that to win at Arizona you've got to recruit the western Jucos well.

JUCOs are critical, but the last two regimes have been hurt badly by their inability to keep local talent at home. Tucson has a couple of schools, Amphitheater HS, Saguaro and Salpointe Catholic, that usually produce 8-10 D1 prospects between them. In the salad days of Duck Tomey, 90% of those kids stayed in Tucson (you might lose one to USC or Notre Dame), but that was it. They’d also pull a few kids from Brophy Prep in Phoenix. Under Rodriguez, they stopped getting kids from Brophy and only getting 60% of the local talent. It has cratered under Sumlin—last year they whiffed on all three kids from Salpointe, one of whom was John Fina’s kid (former UoA All American, 1st rd pick and 11 year NFL veteran), another who went to Ohio State and another who went to A&M and only got one kid apiece from Amphitheater and Saguaro.

In the days of the Desert Storm, they’d have their pick of the best California JUCOs, 8-10 good locals, 3-5 kids from Texas and then 1-2 randos to whom they could sell sunshine and playing time from a cold weather place like Ohio or New Jersey. Now they are losing JUCOs to Utah, Boise State and Colorado, losing the local battles to ASU and bigger name programs coming into Tucson, and getting little from Texas or the rando category. They are now recruiting California but settling for kids whose offer lists are more of the Fresno State/SDSU level, which will not cut it even in the currently anemic Pac12.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:00 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Sumlin out. The Pac 12 is in a weird place as the depth of talent in California declines. I also think that to win at Arizona you've got to recruit the western Jucos well.

JUCOs are critical, but the last two regimes have been hurt badly by their inability to keep local talent at home. Tucson has a couple of schools, Amphitheater HS, Saguaro and Salpointe Catholic, that usually produce 8-10 D1 prospects between them. In the salad days of Duck Tomey, 90% of those kids stayed in Tucson (you might lose one to USC or Notre Dame), but that was it. They’d also pull a few kids from Brophy Prep in Phoenix.

About 25% of the Phoenix chapter of the BC alumni assoc went to Brophy Prep in high school.

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Under Rodriguez, they stopped getting kids from Brophy and only getting 60% of the local talent. It has cratered under Sumlin—last year they whiffed on all three kids from Salpointe, one of whom was John Fina’s kid (former UoA All American, 1st rd pick and 11 year NFL veteran), another who went to Ohio State and another who went to A&M and only got one kid apiece from Amphitheater and Saguaro.

In the days of the Desert Storm, they’d have their pick of the best California JUCOs, 8-10 good locals, 3-5 kids from Texas and then 1-2 randos to whom they could sell sunshine and playing time from a cold weather place like Ohio or New Jersey. Now they are losing JUCOs to Utah, Boise State and Colorado, losing the local battles to ASU and bigger name programs coming into Tucson, and getting little from Texas or the rando category. They are now recruiting California but settling for kids whose offer lists are more of the Fresno State/SDSU level, which will not cut it even in the currently anemic Pac12.

The Wildcats still have.... hoops.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 am

JUCOs are critical, but the last two regimes have been hurt badly by their inability to keep local talent at home. Tucson has a couple of schools, Amphitheater HS, Saguaro and Salpointe Catholic, that usually produce 8-10 D1 prospects between them. In the salad days of Duck Tomey, 90% of those kids stayed in Tucson (you might lose one to USC or Notre Dame), but that was it. They’d also pull a few kids from Brophy Prep in Phoenix. Under Rodriguez, they stopped getting kids from Brophy and only getting 60% of the local talent. It has cratered under Sumlin—last year they whiffed on all three kids from Salpointe, one of whom was John Fina’s kid (former UoA All American, 1st rd pick and 11 year NFL veteran), another who went to Ohio State and another who went to A&M and only got one kid apiece from Amphitheater and Saguaro.

It is a program in dire need of an identity. It’s got to hire a coach who will bring a consistent brand to the program. Focus on building a lock-down defense in a conference where tackling is optional (like Snyder did at KSU)... go with a boring-but-effective power run game who soft left coast teams dread playing against... or go WAC-like all-air attack... or hire Hugh Freeze and go all-in on shadily recruiting bad guys who are great football players (akademix ain’t a thing at UoA anyway). Point is that that the program has been listlessly drifting at sea and simply needs a direction. Once they have one, they can work on reestablishing all they’ve lost.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium