Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby durkcal on Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:14 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Hated Applebaum when he was here. I have zero doubt I’ll hate him the second time around. That said, a player’s coach like Hafley must’ve known how Mahogany and Kendall felt about Guges and Baum before making the switch. I think Chud could be excellent if he is all-in on the job.

That said, these are wildly uninspiring hires (which has been par for the course on the offensive side of the ball under Hafley). Assistants show a coach’s network. Hafley has none besides D. However, i am happy that this has been and will continue to be Hafley’s hand-built ship to go down with. If he (likely) fails, it won’t be because a meddling AD saddled him with coaches he didn’t want.

Hafley wasn't going to get any superstar hires being on the hot seat this year, as he wasn't going to get the $$$ to overcome that issue.

I can't imagine Hafley could do better than Applebaum. But just because the O-Line was disastrous last season doesn't mean it performed to expectations before that.

Presumably Chudzinski will tutor Shimko in his offense, so that Shimko can take over and expand on it in a year or two. I can understand you don't want to change the offense again if you survive this year. But is Shimko such a star that he's the one you choose to groom? Was he so much better than Gunnell, for example? I know Gunnell won't be asked to come back, but he surely picked up some tricks working under Chesney and his creative OC this year. This is where the Rutgers thing makes me wonder, why was Shimko kept around and Gunnell shunted off to RBs? We can say oh Shimko understands the X's and O's and that's not Gunnell's thing, but the coaching staff's Rutgers affinity would make me wonder if there are some shaded perspectives going on.

I remember all the views that the 2021 Offensive Line should have been SO GOOD, and this has to be all Matt Applebaum's fault. Well, as I kept insisting at the time, Alec Lindstrom and Ben Petrula were completely overrated college Offensive Lineman. There was no real depth, so their starting positions were secured. Alec Lindstrom has now just signed with the Memphis Showboats. No one wanted him in the NFL. And Ben Petrula could not catch on with anyone. Matt Applebaum may not be perfect, but he was never going to make very experienced inadequate Offensive Lineman great.

Speaking of, how is this Offensive Line going to perform in 2024 without Mahogany and Hergel? If you think Conley is stepping in, and is going to be good, I have a bridge that I can sell you. Recruiting and developing athletic Offensive Lineman is a challenge for ALL in college football. IMO we need to attack the Midwest and Plains of the country and find the big wrestlers. That is where the Big Ten finds all of their good lineman. The cheapest and easiest path to finding a competitive ACC OL is to find them in high school.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:00 pm

Looks like we need to run this thread back.

Off the top of my head…
Great: Dan Mullen, Brian Flores, Bill O’Brien
Good: Jason Candle, Paul Chryst, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Bryan Harsin, Jeff Monken, Troy Calhoun
Meh: Tem Lukabu, Paul Rhoads, Chud, Chesney, Al Washington, Chris Partridge, Anthony Campanile, Doug Marrone
Crazy: Josh McDaniels, Brandon Staley, Matt Patricia
Bad: the guy we actually hire
Last edited by HJS on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:54 pm

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:05 pm

Hire Gabe Infante. It’s time.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Manny on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:17 pm

It's been two hours, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Belichick. Surely a 75 year old man with no history in college football would jump at the chance to recruit high school kids and then re-recruit the best ones every off-season.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby tallsy on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Looks like we need to run this thread back.

Off the top of my head…
Great: Dan Mullen, Brian Flores, Bill O’Brien
Good: Jason Candle, Paul Chryst, Tom Herman, Scott Frost, Bryan Harsin, Jeff Monken
Meh: Tem Lukabu, Paul Rhoads, Chud, Chesney, Al Washington, Chris Partridge, Anthony Campanile, Doug Marrone
Crazy: Josh McDaniels, Brandon Staley, Matt Patricia
Bad: the guy we actually hire

If these are the candidates, Loeffler or Skip Holtz suddenly don't look so bad.

What really sucks about this timing is that no one not on the usual suspect list will get a shot (not that they would anyway but it's nice to dream). But some other names - Tyson Helton who's already on the schedule, Will Stein, Jeff Tedford, who is somehow only 62.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:04 pm

Jesus you shit on HJS' list and then you proffer that garbage? BC should piss itself if they could land Mullen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Jesus you shit on HJS' list and then you proffer that garbage? BC should piss itself if they could land Mullen.

I was excluding the Great Candidates. Yes, I'd love if Mullen or BOB came here. I was evaluating the list overall.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:14 am

I'd imagine the Packers paid BC a significant chunk of $ to buyout Hafley.

Just go use the money to hire BOB or Mullen (and please do it quickly so half the roster doesn't leave).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:39 am

Can we all agree that barring some miracle where a guy with connections to the school/area decides to make a controversial move to refresh their career (specifically, Mullen, BOB or Flores), there is little chance we are getting someone even of the quality of Jason Candle? Great.

In a world where we can't get a star/name coach... wouldn't it make some sense to explore Monken and Calhoun? Yeah... I know option football is boring. But, no one is watching anyway. It is essentially a way to blunt the concerns of Portal transfers (at least on the offensive side). I think it also creates a competitive advantage when other programs are required to remake themselves every year with only 60% of their roster returning. When you look at the landscape, the way non-power teams compete is through gimmicks that they run to perfection (think Princeton basketball). In FB, that is either read-option or 5 receiver sets. If the world calms down and the ACC (with BC) remains in some sort of Big4 arrangement, it would be a questionable decision. But, if the world falls apart, winning... even with a frustrating concept... is way better than losing all the time (which is the most likely outcome from this hire).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:09 am

Does Al Washington still want the job?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:18 am

Spread yes. Triple no.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:20 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Does Al Washington still want the job?

Will we have to play with 10 player?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:58 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Does Al Washington still want the job?

Al Washington would be a terrible hire in the realm of Jared Dudley.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:36 am

You guys are going to love head coach Al Golden and DC Al Washington. Might be able to lure Tommy Rees away from Cleveland if the price is right. Its going to be great!
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:42 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:You guys are going to love head coach Al Golden and DC Al Washington. Might be able to lure Tommy Rees away from Cleveland if the price is right. Its going to be great!

Al Washington would be amazing as our DC. Big difference.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:30 pm

My wish list would be:

Lance Guidry - Miami DC (yes, he has DUI's 12 years ago)
Ryan Carty - Delaware HC (actually shocked no one is mentioning this name, look him up)
Pete Carroll - Pete isn't getting an NFL head coaching gig and he has limited time to be a head coach. Huge positive lift to on field and off field (recruiting etc..)
Jim Knowles
Bob Chesney - obviously tricky, but you make the call
Jason Candle
Drew Cronic - just took the Navy OC job, but that can be overcome, and he is a winner.
Eric Bienemy - probably not coming to college now, but he did spend a long time in college coaching
Jason Eck - Idaho head coach. Done a great job everywhere he has been, winner.
Brian Johnson - lot of college experience. Available after losing job with Eagles

Hopefully we avoid a disaster such as a person lacking qualifications aside from BC connections, i.e. Lukabu, Frye and A Washington. Coen is also an alarming name.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:33 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:It's been two hours, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Belichick. Surely a 75 year old man with no history in college football would jump at the chance to recruit high school kids and then re-recruit the best ones every off-season.

Nick Saban
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:08 pm

Should be an easy decision…Al Skinner
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:28 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Should be an easy decision…Al Skinner

Hafley quit, not Earl Grant.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:33 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Should be an easy decision…Al Skinner

Hafley quit, not Earl Grant.

Holy shit
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:42 pm

The bruce pearl personality type will thrive in the NILCAA. Make sure he isn’t portly and mustached, but yeah, that type
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:17 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:29 am

Finally making a run for HCRD. Bring. Him. Home.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:52 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Image

It’s the wrong plane
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:00 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

It’s the wrong plane

How do you know?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm

Liam Cohen is off the board. He's the new OC in Tampa.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:39 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It’s the wrong plane

How do you know?

Tail number, they used Fish’s plane last time and that’s not the right one… rumors heating up that BoB is interviewing though so it’s possible they are using a different plane this time

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It’s the wrong plane

How do you know?

Tail number, they used Fish’s plane last time and that’s not the right one… rumors heating up that BoB is interviewing though so it’s possible they are using a different plane this time

I think it's reasonable to assume they used a different plane. That flight wasn't on the flight board yesterday and popped up this morning. If it's really O'Brien, nail the deal down today/this weekend, press conference Monday and introduce him at the Beanpot on Monday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

It’s the wrong plane

How do you know?

I think it's reasonable to assume they used a different plane. That flight wasn't on the flight board yesterday and popped up this morning. If it's really O'Brien, nail the deal down today/this weekend, press conference Monday and introduce him at the Beanpot on Monday.

I will be shocked if we don’t have a coach by Monday. And, if we don’t, the search is not going well.

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium