Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:So... Butch Jones is done at Tennessee. It's a real good year NOT to be looking for a new coach given all these major jobs that are open.

the tenessee idiots hoping for gruden are hilarious

He will be the next coach of my disastrous Tampa Bay Buccaneers
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 am

Chip Kelly has already met with Florida and is meeting with UCLA tomorrow. Because he now realizes that the BC job isn't opening up, he will announce next week which of those two schools he will be coaching next year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 pm

If you are one of the very few people who care about the future of BC's football program, the long-term best-case-scenario is this... Daz hangs on long enough that he can be replaced by Bill O'Brien.

While anything can happen, I think that means we have Daz for 2 more seasons (as I think BOB has 2 more seasons left in Houston before they go with a new face). That would bring Daz to 60-years-old and would mean a 7-year tenure (which is incredibly rare in today's college football world). Likewise, that would mean a similarly rare 7-year run for BOB with one NFL team. Such a scenario has a good chance of seeing a change that breeds stability (Daz could leave in a non-scorched earth manner feeling he accomplished something "great" and BOB will have satisfied his NFL wanderlust for the opportunity to build a program he cares about). None of this will happen, but for folks who dreamed of Chip Kelly, this should be your next unrealistic dream.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:... but for folks who dreamed of Chip Kelly, this should be your next unrealistic dream.

wait, did gruden sign somewhere?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Kevin Sumlin is being fired by TAMU.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/ ... 375659.php

Always thought he was an excellent coach. Good luck to Texas A&M finding someone who is an upgrade. Yet another example as to how it is a good thing we are not out there looking this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Chip Kelly has already met with Florida and is meeting with UCLA tomorrow. Because he now realizes that the BC job isn't opening up, he will announce next week which of those two schools he will be coaching next year.

Sweet baby Jesus, let him do one of those announcements where he chooses a cap from the table.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Kevin Sumlin is being fired by TAMU.

Always thought he was an excellent coach. Good luck to Texas A&M finding someone who is an upgrade. Yet another example as to how it is a good thing we are not out there looking this year.

That article says A&M will pursue Jimbo Fisher. Good luck with that.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:05 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

I've been curious why they think this will work. Is he really in trouble at FSU with one season where the wheels come off? Are they assuming that because they are in the SEC it will just work? Do they have a dump truck full of money that's bigger than FSU's dump truck full of money?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I've been curious why they think this will work. Is he really in trouble at FSU with one season where the wheels come off? Are they assuming that because they are in the SEC it will just work? Do they have a dump truck full of money that's bigger than FSU's dump truck full of money?

Fisher's buyout is $40 million. Not that I wouldn't put it past an SEC program, but still...

EDIT - My bad, that is only the number if he is terminated. If he leaves of his own will, it is a lot less.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:36 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Fisher's buyout is $40 million. Not that I wouldn't put it past an SEC program, but still...

Are the co-eds better looking at A&M than FSU? This is probably the most important factor to Jimbo
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm

I would not leave FSU for A&M but Fisher is one of those guys who always wants to be wined and dined.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:35 pm

I think the thinking is that: (1) Fisher is an SEC guy, (2) would return for big money and (3) may not be terribly happy with the slightest questioning that came from Nole fans due to a non-bowl season.

Personally, I think there is merit that he would pick this to be the year to jump. Not sure if TAMU would be the choice, but I could see Tennessee being a strong consideration. If Jimbo leaves this year, he has to pay FSU $7mm.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:39 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Why does BOB care about BC! Would he not just look for another 6-8 million dollar NFL job?
If Chip Kelly was interested in BC, MJ would know about it. He is not interested. Daz will be back next year with a small possibility that he might not if he loses the next two games.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Why does BOB care about BC! Would he not just look for another 6-8 million dollar NFL job?
If Chip Kelly was interested in BC, MJ would know about it. He is not interested. Daz will be back next year with a small possibility that he might not if he loses the next two games.

Saved for posterity and the next time Corners pretends to be a BC insider.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Here's my attempt predicting the future...
UCLA - Chip Kelly (returning to PAC12 with his 30-something girlfriend who's from the West Coast)
Florida - Dan Mullen (returning to where he was OC)
TAMU - Mike Leach (returning to Texas)
Nebraska - Scott Frost (returning to alma mater)
Arkansas - Gus Malzahn (returning to home state and school where he was OC)
Tennessee - Jimbo Fisher (returning to the area where he grew up (Clarksburg WV is a 6-hr drive from Knoxville))
Ole Miss - Mike Norvell (moving right down the road)
Auburn - Bobby Petrino (returning to where he was OC and where they tried to hire him without firing Tuberville)
FSU - Mark Stoops (returning to where he was DC)
Washington State - Alex Grinch (promotion from within)
Mississippi State - Manny Diaz (returning to where he was DC)
KSU - Brent Venables (returning to alma mater)
Oregon State - Jonathan Smith (returning to alma mater)
Kentucky - Neal Brown (returning to where he's from and where he played football (though later transferred to UMass))
Louisville - Charlie Strong (returning to where he was head coach)

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Here's my attempt predicting the future...
TAMU - Mike Leach (returning to Texas)
Arkansas - Gus Malzahn (returning to home state and school where he was OC)
Auburn - Bobby Petrino (returning to where he was OC and where they tried to hire him without firing Tuberville)

that + ole miss would mean every sec west team has changed their coach in the last 12 months, seems like a logical way to take down saban
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Still waiting to hear a reason why BOB would want the BC job. You sound as delusional as the UConn fans.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Still waiting to hear a reason why BOB would want the BC job. You sound as delusional as the UConn fans.

You sound like you always do... uninformed.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:31 pm

bielema out at arkansas, fired as he was coming off field
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:13 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Chip Kelly has already met with Florida and is meeting with UCLA tomorrow. Because he now realizes that the BC job isn't opening up, he will announce next week which of those two schools he will be coaching next year.

Sweet baby Jesus, let him do one of those announcements where he chooses a cap from the table.

Chip Kelly had a Gator hat and an Angry Chicken hat on the table. But, he stunned the crowd when his wife gave him a paper bag and he pulled out a UCLA hat and announced that he was "taking his talents to Tinsel Town."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am

Nebraska officially fired Mike Riley. I honestly thought this happened over a month ago.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Nebraska officially fired Mike Riley. I honestly thought this happened over a month ago.

i assume bob diaco will be looking for employment as well, what a lunatic
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:31 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Nebraska officially fired Mike Riley. I honestly thought this happened over a month ago.

Yukon should hire him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

He made 700k this year at Nebraska and they stunk on D.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:

Chip Kelly had a Gator hat and an Angry Chicken hat on the table. But, he stunned the crowd when his wife gave him a paper bag and he pulled out a UCLA hat and announced that he was "taking his talents to Tinsel Town."

What’s the appeal to UCLA as a football job?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:24 pm

UCLA has been sucky the past 15 years, but have a good football history. There is plenty of local talent so recruiting is not a grind. They just built new football facilities. Like Stanford they are great in nearly everything else besides football, so you know Athletics work. Unlike Stanford, you can sneak some borderline guys in because the school is so big (24K undergrad) one terrible SAT score won't impact anything. Great campus. Great neighborhood. Chip can coach an elite program put not be bothered by the media or when he goes out (that was always the part of the BC appeal to him). At an SEC school you are the ultimate big fish and are a prisoner to your own house and football facility.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:UCLA has been sucky the past 15 years, but have a good football history. There is plenty of local talent so recruiting is not a grind. They just built new football facilities. Like Stanford they are great in nearly everything else besides football, so you know Athletics work. Unlike Stanford, you can sneak some borderline guys in because the school is so big (24K undergrad) one terrible SAT score won't impact anything. Great campus. Great neighborhood. Chip can coach an elite program put not be bothered by the media or when he goes out (that was always the part of the BC appeal to him). At an SEC school you are the ultimate big fish and are a prisoner to your own house and football facility.

Yup. If I were a coach, I’d much rather be at UCLA.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:55 pm

LMFAO - Chip Kelly had zero interest in BC. Same goes for BOB. Kelly is back on the West coast making double what BC pays and BOB makes triple what BC pays. He is an NFL guy who went to PSU to earn an NFL job. I guess if the Texans fire him and he can’t get another job and the BC job is his best offer we might get BOB.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:24 am

Todd Graham out at ASU. Apparently, 7-5 and 14 games over .500 isn't good enough for the mighty Sun Devils. It seems the Chip Kelly effect has already gripped PAC12 ADs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium