Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:He's safe. Has always been. If there was ever a doubt, it was removed when Colton actually made a FG (middle schmiddle).

Addazio is safe ONLY because of his contract. Win or lose, he gets his money. Losing this game would not have gotten Addazio fired because they still have to pay him. Winning this game does not in anyway, help him get a new contract from Jarmond or BC. There will not be an extension no matter how many games Addazio wins nor will they let him go before his contract terminates.

It is great that Addazio got the win. I'd say this may be his second best coaching performance in all 5 years he has been with this team. But that doesn't change the eventual outcome. He's dead man walking.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:30 pm

No one -- myself included -- knows anything. Jarmond is not talking. The reason I think he is safe with 5 wins is that he and Jarmond can potentially spin the injury excuse. But with Addazio, every remaining game is a potential loss. I think the best he might do is 3-2 in the remaining games.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:But with Addazio, every remaining game is a potential loss. I think the best he might do is 3-2 in the remaining games.

I concur.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 pm

The decision is made at the box office. It's all about ticket sales at this point. If the team continues to play exciting football and gets to 6 wins, ticket sales will increase and Daz will get another year. If not, attendance will continue to decline and Daz will be fired. FSU and NC St are huge opportunities for Daz to get a couple of big wins at home.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm

All of the games remaining on BC's schedule are winnable. If Addazio only wins one more ACC game then that is pathetic and he should be fired.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 pm

Did someone just say bc and exciting in the same sentence? Jesus fucking Christ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did someone just say bc and exciting in the same sentence? Jesus fucking Christ.

You promised us one week. You gave us 5 hours.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

If Jarmond and/or Leahy make the decision based on the current buyout, they are dumb because the longer Addazio stays, the more money you are going to pay him contractually. For example, if he runs the table and shocks the world, he and his agent are going to demand another extension. If he limps into seven wins, BC will keep him and Addazio will say he needs a new extension because of recruiting. And they will say four bowls in five years earns it. If he only gets to five wins and BC keeps him to save money, he and his agent will say they need an extension to show the vote of confidence and to help assure recruits. So if he stays on, he is getting more money. It is just a matter of how much. You can let a guy like Bates work without an extension, but in fairness to all the coaches, if they get into their final year without an extension, you do impact recruiting. Right now Addazio has 2.5 years left. If you keep him after five wins, you give him a one year extension for pennies just so he can sell stability to recruits.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:If Jarmond and/or Leahy make the decision based on the current buyout, they are dumb because the longer Addazio stays, the more money you are going to pay him contractually. For example, if he runs the table and shocks the world, he and his agent are going to demand another extension. If he limps into seven wins, BC will keep him and Addazio will say he needs a new extension because of recruiting. And they will say four bowls in five years earns it. If he only gets to five wins and BC keeps him to save money, he and his agent will say they need an extension to show the vote of confidence and to help assure recruits. So if he stays on, he is getting more money. It is just a matter of how much. You can let a guy like Bates work without an extension, but in fairness to all the coaches, if they get into their final year without an extension, you do impact recruiting. Right now Addazio has 2.5 years left. If you keep him after five wins, you give him a one year extension for pennies just so he can sell stability to recruits.

Does my head hurt from the gin or reading the above?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:If Jarmond and/or Leahy make the decision based on the current buyout, they are dumb because the longer Addazio stays, the more money you are going to pay him contractually. For example, if he runs the table and shocks the world, he and his agent are going to demand another extension. If he limps into seven wins, BC will keep him and Addazio will say he needs a new extension because of recruiting. And they will say four bowls in five years earns it. If he only gets to five wins and BC keeps him to save money, he and his agent will say they need an extension to show the vote of confidence and to help assure recruits. So if he stays on, he is getting more money. It is just a matter of how much. You can let a guy like Bates work without an extension, but in fairness to all the coaches, if they get into their final year without an extension, you do impact recruiting. Right now Addazio has 2.5 years left. If you keep him after five wins, you give him a one year extension for pennies just so he can sell stability to recruits.

Does my head hurt from the gin or reading the above?

Its not the gin
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Is it already "extend the coach for the sake of recruiting" season?

Where does the time go?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 pm

even if we luck into a couple more wins, we still have to make a change. i know that some of these issues are across college sports, but i'm not sure if the people who aren't in boston or don't regularly attend games realize how bad attendance has gotten and how irrelevant in boston we've become. there were basically no students (outside of the band) there after halftime against virginia tech. can't say i blame them considering most of them have never seen us win (and barely been competitive in) a meaningful game. we're churning out class after class that hasn't had a fun or exciting football experience. those are future alums who don't care about the program, which is just going to make it harder to turn things around in the future.
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am

agreed

not to :thehjs as we all know the problems but the product is unsuccessful and couldn't be more boring. the students haven't seen a win against a p5 team since usc.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Is it already "extend the coach for the sake of recruiting" season?

Where does the time go?

I've been told that Jarmond has worked up an extension that guarantees Daz another weekly radio spot with unlimited french fries and ketchup. Big move and hopefully will help get a few more 2 stars into the fold. :angrychicken
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:even if we luck into a couple more wins, we still have to make a change. i know that some of these issues are across college sports, but i'm not sure if the people who aren't in boston or don't regularly attend games realize how bad attendance has gotten and how irrelevant in boston we've become. there were basically no students (outside of the band) there after halftime against virginia tech. can't say i blame them considering most of them have never seen us win (and barely been competitive in) a meaningful game. we're churning out class after class that hasn't had a fun or exciting football experience. those are future alums who don't care about the program, which is just going to make it harder to turn things around in the future.

All of us here, pre- and post-nerdification, were probably on campus for at least one or more moderately successful football seasons. I subject myself to this torture each week largely in part because I remember what it was like when this program was #2 in the country and could beat anyone.

We are approaching ten years of terrible football and the students now are future donors who do not and will not care about football. The shortsightedness of BC is what is really astounding.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am

AtlEagle is correct in that no one knows really what is happening in the hallowed halls, so we all can speculate. My personal assessment is (and this is not a new opine) that Leahy is repulsed by the vices that come with big athletics, things like academic short shifting and institutional frauds (ala programs at NC, etc)...and the concept of paying students to play games above and beyond the scholarships they are afforded, and the general stories about how big time athletic programs generally have resulted in decay in other areas (take Penn St. as one example), where good judgement and common sense seemed to have withered away in the face of big money pressures.

I think he would be very happy retreating into an Ivy league or some other lower level type environment and be rid of the distractions he views as needless and detrimental to the academic mission of his university.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:26 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:AtlEagle is correct in that no one knows really what is happening in the hallowed halls, so we all can speculate. My personal assessment is (and this is not a new opine) that Leahy is repulsed by the vices that come with big athletics, things like academic short shifting and institutional frauds (ala programs at NC, etc)...and the concept of paying students to play games above and beyond the scholarships they are afforded, and the general stories about how big time athletic programs generally have resulted in decay in other areas (take Penn St. as one example), where good judgement and common sense seemed to have withered away in the face of big money pressures.

I think he would be very happy retreating into an Ivy league or some other lower level type environment and be rid of the distractions he views as needless and detrimental to the academic mission of his university.

I agree with you up until the point where you think he would be happy giving up the money that comes with hanging on as a low end P5 school.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:AtlEagle is correct in that no one knows really what is happening in the hallowed halls, so we all can speculate. My personal assessment is (and this is not a new opine) that Leahy is repulsed by the vices that come with big athletics, things like academic short shifting and institutional frauds (ala programs at NC, etc)...and the concept of paying students to play games above and beyond the scholarships they are afforded, and the general stories about how big time athletic programs generally have resulted in decay in other areas (take Penn St. as one example), where good judgement and common sense seemed to have withered away in the face of big money pressures.

I agree with you up until the point where you think he would be happy giving up the money that comes with hanging on as a low end P5 school.

I never said he would be happy giving up the money. On the contrary, the money is the only reason he probably has skin in the game. Its part of the contradiction in his position. However, if he thought for a moment he could get that annual $30M a different way, say, some reactionary big pockets alum who loved the idea of club sports, I think he would jump at it.

The irony of course is that BC experienced its greatest advances in institutional recognition, applications and endowment growth simultaneous with and subsequent to its athletic advances.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:20 pm

i found out over the weekend that Jerry Glanville is still alive. Can we add him to the list of possibles? maybe in a Fontes combo? :seanwilliams :seanwilliams :seanwilliams

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:46 pm

mcelwain is out at uf

maybe you can go home again?

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:02 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:mcelwain is out at uf

maybe you can go home again?

Did he get his payout or are they going to try to pin him as a liar on the death threats thing and use that to justify not paying him?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:18 pm

He accepted less than the $12.75mm buyout. Didn't say how much less. For the record, I think Jim McElwain is a very good coach. Start the Gruden/Chip Kelly rumors only to be "disappointed" by only hiring Scott Frost.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:He accepted less than the $12.75mm buyout. Didn't say how much less. For the record, I think Jim McElwain is a very good coach. Start the Gruden/Chip Kelly rumors only to be "disappointed" by only hiring Scott Frost.

Much like there should never-EVER be a time where BC loses to vpi 49-0, there should never be a time that Florida loses to Georgia 42-7. That happens, and it proves (conclusively) that the coaching disparity is so significant that there is no way to bridge that gap. McElwain had to be termed. Its as simple as it is.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:00 pm

UF fans hate Addazio. There is no chance of him going back there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:UF fans hate Addazio. There is no chance of him going back there.

We all know that. Would be funny as hell through for the new admin not to realize it (ala Bates) and instead listen to recommendations from Tebow and Urban.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 pm

HJS: What is the world makes you say that he was a good coach? He has done nothing at UF and just got blown out by UGA.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:12 pm

he was 16-8 in the sec in 3 years, inheriting a team that went 7-9 in conf the previous 2 years
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:HJS: What is the world makes you say that he was a good coach? He has done nothing at UF and just got blown out by UGA.

UGA is the #2 team in the nation.

When UGA was #12 last year they lost by a similar score to Ole Miss. They want on to lose both rival games (to Florida coached by the now-deemed-terrible McElwain and Georgia Tech). Kirby Smart is just damn lucky he wasn't coaching at Florida or for Corners... because the m-effer would've hit the bricks in December last year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:51 am

Addazio is coming back next year. The generally positive response, from the fans that matter, last Friday settled the issue. Unless Addazio robs a bank or shows up naked in the dorms, he's safe. The focus for now is on basketball.

As far as an extension, that's not happening and that comes from Leahy. The disposition of Addazio's contract will be a next year issue. If someone hires him away, so be it.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:04 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:UF fans hate Addazio. There is no chance of him going back there.

We all know that. Would be funny as hell through for the new admin not to realize it (ala Bates) and instead listen to recommendations from Tebow and Urban.

Tebow is going to be at church next week in Parisppany, I should ask him what he thinks of Adazzio.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium