Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

... a.k.a. Exercise-In-Futility 2018 Edition

I am well aware of what BC is. I am well aware of who Addazio is. I am well aware who the President of BC and how that makes it impossible to for BC to hire a good coach. Nonetheless, this thread serves as a form of therapy (even if fantastical) for those who still wish to be fans of BC Football, but can't bare the frustration associated with the current situation.

Here are the two threads from last year on the topic…
Carousel: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16794
Candidates: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16645
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Coaching Carousel

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

CAROUSEL 2018

Openings
Ole Miss

Could be opening
Brian Kelly – ND
Kevin Sumlin - TAMU
Brett Bielema – Arkansas
Gus Malzahn - Auburn
Todd Graham – ASU
Rich Rodriguez – Zona

Should be open but won’t because the President hates football
Steve Addazio* – BC

* - N.B. – all of the above coaches on the Hot Seat would be massive improvements over Dazoo.
Last edited by HJS on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm

CANDIDATES 2018

Obvious Home Run Hire: Chip Kelly – Every BC fan everywhere understands that the most likely way to be relevant again is to hire Chip. He brings immediate credibility, sparks immediate interest from recruits, brinks immediate attention from fans and potential ticket holders AND can make the players on the roster immediately better (by knowing how to put them in a position to be successful).
IWNH…. so there is no need to discuss it further. While it is HIGHLY unlikely Chip would want the job (even if it was the only one available), it is somehow even more unlikely that Leahy would ever permit the necessary funds to land him.

The remaining options seem to fall into 2 categories… retreads (generally low-floor/low-ceiling) and up-and-comers (generally high-risk/high-reward).

Retreads
Greg Schiano
Les Miles
Troy Calhoun
Bob Stoops
Charlie Strong
Lane Kiffin
Wayne Fontes
Al Golden
Tom Coughlin
Mike London
Mark Helfrich
Frank Solich
Ken Niumatalolo
Randy Shannon
Josh McDaniels
Jim Tressel
Bo Pellini
Brady Hoke
Butch Davis
Turner Gill
Bobby Wilder
Jeff Jagodzinski
Any of the “Hot Seat” NFL coaches (like BOB)
Any of the “Hot Seat” college coaches (like Sumlin)

Up-and-coming
Scott Frost
Joe Moorhead
HCRD
Neal Brown
Brent Venables
Brian Flores
Pete Carmichael Jr.
Mike Reed
Al Washington
Greg Roman
Matt Patricia
Sean Ryan
Dennis Allen
Mike Vrabel
Pep Hamilton
Tim Drevno
Mike Norvell
Chad Morris
Mario Cristobal
Tee Martin
Jason Candle
Frank Wilson
Dave Aranda
Last edited by HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:12 pm

These are posts I wrote last year on the topic… and is what I still believe today…

Barring a stars aligning event that lands BOB or Chip (ain't gonna happen), you have to make a decision on which avenue you are going to take in 2018. Do you (a) "stay within the family" with an assistant from the failed staffs of Spaz or Daz, (b) do you hire a retread or (c) do you hire a young up-and-comer trying to grab a few good years before they move on to bigger and better things.

For me, (a) is a nonstarter. I don't want anything to do with the taint of an assistant of one of these buffoons. A perceived up-and-comer carries significant risk. Those guys fail miserably more often than they succeed. If you are certain that you have the next Tom Herman, you absolutely pull the trigger. But, I have no faith that a BC administration who just hired Spaz and Daz (and Don and JC) is capable of magically tapping the next rising star.

One thing that is important about the next hire is that it should be clear that this isn't what is viewed as a final destination. Assistants and head coaches do best when they are striving for something. TOB's and Jag's first staffs were hungry and thought they were hitching a ride to an upwardly mobile coach. Out next coach should be viewed similarly.

… and…

I prefer a retread, followed by a rising NFL assistant.

But, if you are going to pretend that BC is going to cut a $10mm check to send a tenured gym teacher off into retirement, then they won't be able to spend ANYTHING on the next coach. This is a school who still can't find someone to donate $5mm to put their name on the IPF. It's folly to think they have the financial wherewithal to eat a $10mm buyout. Nonetheless, if believing in Santa keeps folks from offing themselves... so be it.

A realistic name that would be uber cheap and would jump at the job is Neal Brown. Super young... Umass grad... runs a funky O... is crushing it at Troy... played Clemson very tough.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 pm

i would only support a chip kelly hire if bc promises to bring vinny back onto the staff and requires him to wear a red star trek shirt as he performs his movin-picture-takin duties
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Carmichael would be a home run, but he's not likely coming here. That's all I have to add.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm

It's September 13 and it's already pretty clear that this thread will be the only exciting thing about these boards for the rest of the year...
:bag :dildodog :bag :dildodog :bag
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:26 pm

if you are going to include ridiculous but funny suggestions (i.e. wayne fontes) then i think you should also include tobias
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 pm

Let's be honest with ourselves the likelihood of BC paying a coach >$2.0mm with the Heinz Hammer's buyout after this season is less than 10%. If he's given another year and then they sack him that probability maybe goes to 25%. The focus should be on the assistants who are looking for their first HC gig and will accept $1.5mm per year. The other candidates are all pie in the sky.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if you are going to include ridiculous but funny suggestions (i.e. wayne fontes) then i think you should also include tobias

He got Jags on the list. Gee you're picky.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Joe Moorhead should get the most serious look and should already be on Martin's radar. He is from western Pennsylvania, which would be helpful in recruiting that area and Ohio. He attended and then coached Fordham so he understands recruiting at a school with standards and understands working at a Jesuit school. He presided over the rebirth and most successful seasons of Fordham football in decades which is what landed him the Penn State job. He beat an FBS team (Army) twice while at Fordham. By all accounts his tenure at Penn State has been a success. Their current ranking speaks for itself. He should pass all the sniff tests of Leahy and the Bot and the Fordham connection should help us retain Matt Valecce.

That all said, from what I have heard he has already gotten interest from better programs than BC and has turned those down knowing he is the next hot name in sports. If ND sours on Coach Redface, I'm sure they would look at Moorhead for all the same reasons I said we should. I do not think Moorhead is available after 2018 and will likely be a head coach somewhere next season. If we have any hope of landing him, it's this year.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 pm

The idea that BC is worried about a half a million bucks or even 1-2 million bucks a year in salary for a D1 football coach is all you need to know. Pay Chip Kelly $4 million and his mere hiring will pay back the extra 2.5 mil in a couple of months.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that BC is worried about a half a million bucks or even 1-2 million bucks a year in salary for a D1 football coach is all you need to know. Pay Chip Kelly $4 million and his mere hiring will pay back the extra 2.5 mil in a couple of months.

You and I know that but history tells us differently.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if you are going to include ridiculous but funny suggestions (i.e. wayne fontes) then i think you should also include tobias

and Bob Diaco.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

and Bob Diaco.

I also included Randy Shannon and Turner Gill. I did not include Toby or 3rd Down because there are some that wouldn't be "in" on the joke.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The idea that BC is worried about a half a million bucks or even 1-2 million bucks a year in salary for a D1 football coach is all you need to know. Pay Chip Kelly $4 million and his mere hiring will pay back the extra 2.5 mil in a couple of months.

You and I know that but history tells us differently.

From a business perspective, we all know what needs to be done. From the perspective of who runs the school, we all know that it won't be done.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm

i would take tobias over t.s. thinskin or a loganless jags any day
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/chip-kelly-sweepstakes-update-170224388.html

Shocked we are mentioned.

CHIP KELLY SWEEPSTAKES UPDATE

Boston College (17). Current status: 1-1, with a shaky victory over Northern Illinois and a blowout home loss to Wake Forest – in other words, the current status is bad. Chances of a coaching change: Rather strong. Steve Addazio is 25-28 at BC, and it’s hard to see him pushing that record above .500 this season. Why fans believe Chip would be interested: He’s a New England guy, having lived and/or coached in the northeast most of his life. Why he might not be interested: Unless he has a soft spot for lost causes, why sign up for this when there will be much better options?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 pm

The reason for a guy like Chip to sign up at a place like BC, assuming the money is there, is pretty friggin simple. He could mail it in here and not get fired, as long as he doesn't do anything stupid. Then he is the guy that returned BC to relevance instead of the guy that goes places to blow shit up.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The reason for a guy like Chip to sign up at a place like BC, assuming the money is there, is pretty friggin simple. He could mail it in here and not get fired, as long as he doesn't do anything stupid. Then he is the guy that returned BC to relevance instead of the guy that goes places to blow shit up.

And now that the ACC is good at football again, unlike 10 years ago, he could also become one of the best football coaches in the best football conference. Or what I call "The Jay Wright Strategy."

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:13 pm

you saying chip is going to get a buttons guy?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:16 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:you saying chip is going to get a buttons guy?

More along the lines of BC telling Jay Wright he'd get his payday after Boeheim/Pitino/Krzyzewski/Williams retired or died on the bench and he would then be the best coach in the best basketball conference in the country. I'm applying a similar logic to Chip Kelly becoming football coach (which will never happen).

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Reading moj's lists reaffirms that we're getting another year of Coach Catsup.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Not so fast my friend. Jarmond has connections with the State of Michigan, he met his wife at Mich ST. So there's hope!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Oh dear Greg Schumann again
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Not so fast my friend. Jarmond has connections with the State of Michigan, he met his wife at Mich ST. So there's hope!

i assume we would save that relationship for basketball season and bring the izzone to chestnut hill
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:17 pm

sign him and birdman as an assistant on the same day and lock the doors to the power gym to let them finish what they started

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 pm

looking for a video of the hinnant v. paulus incident, i found the below and it depressed me further because of where we were and what beeker and mac have done to our program since

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:looking for a video of the hinnant v. paulus incident, i found the below and it depressed me further because of where we were and what beeker and mac have done to our program since

You know who loved beeker? The Philly Intern.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium