Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Better yet make more money and make your triangle flat

in fairness, his wife is doing everything she can to make the pyramid flat...

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:26 am

Here is what our previous Head Coaches were doing before we hired them:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fUwGrFc16FCkAyOw2
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:George O'Leary

O'Leary's so coaches in my kids flag football league. He actually looks a lot like Steve Donahue.

George was a decent coach. I wonder what could have been if he didn't lie on his resume.

Didn't he lie about having a UNH degree? Most people who are lying about UNH degrees are out there saying they don't have one that they actually do.

I maintain that he could have passed the whole thing off as a joke, because who lies about having a UNH degree?

On an unrelated note, I always thought Jack Bick Jr would be a good choice - he has been a head coach, understands BC, understands the freaking o line, proven ability to delegate, and a guy whose BC-specific learning curve would be sufficiently advanced that he could actually understand what to do in order to be successful here. One of napoleon's worst crimes was tainting so many different wells.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am

TontoKowalski {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:George O'Leary

O'Leary's so coaches in my kids flag football league. He actually looks a lot like Steve Donahue.

George was a decent coach. I wonder what could have been if he didn't lie on his resume.

Didn't he lie about having a UNH degree? Most people who are lying about UNH degrees are out there saying they don't have one that they actually do.

He definitely lied about lettering 3 times in football for UNH. I don't remember what school he lied about getting a master's from.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am

Seems like Mike Sullivan will be our next guy.

Age 50
Offensive Coordinator at NY Giants
West Point / Army Ranger
Mix of College and NFL Experience
Irish-Catholic
Northeast with some Ohio, FL and CA.
Per Wikipedia, his nephew Logan is a "tiger puncher and wizard slayer".

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Here is what our previous Head Coaches were doing before we hired them:

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:40 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:That reminds me, I think we should hire Mark Whipple, the official choice of FireTOB.com.

I was trying to remember more of the names that FireTOB.com floated.

One was Steve Kragthorpe, but I didn't want to make a mockery of a guy who was forced to quit due to Parkinson's disease.

Another was Jack Bicknell Jr., who has kicked around the NFL and college ranks as an OL coach ever since Louisiana Tech fired him.

That's all I've got.

Didn't they float Kliff Kingsbury, too? He makes $3+ million annually at Texas Tech. Not coming here.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:46 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Seems like Mike Sullivan will be our next guy.

Age 50
West Point / Army Ranger
Irish-Catholic

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Here is what our previous Head Coaches were doing before we hired them:

Have you seen the Giants "offense"?
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:If we can't land him, I would take Don Brown, the guy can flat out coach and his exposure at Michigan will help in recruiting. The players love him at Michigan and we already know that he can build a number 1 defense at BC.

Don Brown is an intriguing option. Seemed like he came here in the first place because he 100% wanted to be in NE, close to family, and it seemed like he genuinely enjoyed his time at BC.

Would he come back for a HC gig?

Better question: Can BC pay Brown more for the HC spot than Michigan would be willing to pay him for the DC spot?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am

The list of candidates is missing Tim Murphy.
Last edited by eagle33 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:06 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:If we can't land him, I would take Don Brown, the guy can flat out coach and his exposure at Michigan will help in recruiting. The players love him at Michigan and we already know that he can build a number 1 defense at BC.

Don Brown is an intriguing option. Seemed like he came here in the first place because he 100% wanted to be in NE, close to family, and it seemed like he genuinely enjoyed his time at BC.

Better question: Can BC pay Brown more for the HC spot than Michigan would be willing to pay him for the DC spot?

No to both questions.

He has a legit shot at a national championship as long as Harbaugh is there.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:15 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:Seems like Mike Sullivan will be our next guy.

Age 50
West Point / Army Ranger
Irish-Catholic

Have you seen the Giants "offense"?

I posted this last year...
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Bob Davie's New Mexico up 21-0 on ESPN2. You'd think they'd be distracted by all the rumors surrounding his candidacy for the BC job, but Bobby Footbaw knows how to keep his team focused.

I'd like Bob Davies if he wasn't 62.

He is the same age as board siren Donnie Brown.

This should not come as a surprise, but there is a strong correlation between the age of BC head coach when hired and their success.
Jack Bicknell - 43
Jeff Jagodzinski - 44
Tom Coughlin - 45
Tom O'Brien - 49
Dan Henning - 52
Steve Addazio - 54
Frank Spaziani 62

Whenever we hire another coach, the younger the better. The good news is that the AD is someone born after the Eisenhower administration... so I think there is actually a chance.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

No to both questions.

He's 63 years old. How effing old are you guys supporting such a candidate? Do nursing homes no longer block imgur.com??? Are you guys hoping on a bulk discount for BC fans when Donnie signs on as spokesman for Pride Mobility Scooters?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:The list of candidates is missing Tim Murphy.

I would hire Tyler Murphy :shrug
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:56 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

Me too.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Have you ever heard of Bill Snyder? 63 is not old and he could give us ten very good years. I do prefer Joe Moorhead, age 43, but only if BC pays to keep him.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

No to both questions.

He's 63 years old. How effing old are you guys supporting such a candidate? Do nursing homes no longer block imgur.com??? Are you guys hoping on a bulk discount for BC fans when Donnie signs on as spokesman for Pride Mobility Scooters?

Yea I'll be honest I have next to no interest in Don Brown.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:52 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:

This. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Any coaching candidate that has options and/or designs on doing things outside the very well defined box that is the current make-up of BC athletics will not want or get the job. Until Leahy is dead and buried and all of his status quo confidants have been removed from their positions of influence, there won't be enough support for making the necessary changes to give BC a chance to succeed athletically.

The new coach will 100% be blogboys long time lover or someone equally uninspiring and we all know it. He checks all the boxes for the current administration in that he's been here before, won't rock the boat and he'll graduate kids and keep them off the police blotter. Anything else, including success on the field, is pretty much accepted as a bonus.

In other words, we'll be having this conversation all over again in 4-6 years.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:36 am

Ryan Day at least would not bore the ever loving shit out of me offensively. So right there, he's an improvement over the worst offense in the last 100 years of college football. But yes, that choice sucks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Ryan Day at least would not bore the ever loving shit out of me offensively. So right there, he's an improvement over the worst offense in the last 100 years of college football. But yes, that choice sucks.

agreed. watching him run the sidelines doing his airport flag man routine will be more entertaining than watching ts slaughter doing his asshole routine
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Moorhead is the answer, but I agree that until Leahy is gone it might be difficult getting Moorhead. Focusing on realistic candidates other than Moorhead who is a better choice than Don Brown? I don't see any candidate with any winning head coaching experience yet mentioned. I'm not saying that Pete Carmichael would be a bad choice, but let's focus on quality coaches that BC can land. I learned of Moorhead on this site and he turned the Penn St offense around, increasing their total offense by over 100 yards per game! What would BC's record be under Moorhead with our current talent? I think he would also do very well in recruiting.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:28 pm

I don't get the fascination with Pete Carmichael.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I don't get the fascination with Pete Carmichael.

He's got to be better than don brown :shrug
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:35 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

He's got to be better than don brown :shrug

Personalitywise, he's more TOB than TOB.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Moorhead is the answer, but I agree that until Leahy is gone it might be difficult getting Moorhead. Focusing on realistic candidates other than Moorhead who is a better choice than Don Brown? I don't see any candidate with any winning head coaching experience yet mentioned. I'm not saying that Pete Carmichael would be a bad choice, but let's focus on quality coaches that BC can land. I learned of Moorhead on this site and he turned the Penn St offense around, increasing their total offense by over 100 yards per game! What would BC's record be under Moorhead with our current talent? I think he would also do very well in recruiting.

What is truly disappointing is that the program is currently where it was in 1996. It's in despair, disarray. So now, Jarmond has to do what GDF did back in 1997 and bring someone like a Tom O'Brien in, just to get them off the operating table, just to stabilize the patient who has lingered too long in the ER. They have to rebuild virtually everything. This season is turning out to be an epic disaster. At least in 2015 the defense was (arguably) number one in the country. That kept them in games. They have no such control at this point.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:59 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Moorhead is the answer, but I agree that until Leahy is gone it might be difficult getting Moorhead. Focusing on realistic candidates other than Moorhead who is a better choice than Don Brown? I don't see any candidate with any winning head coaching experience yet mentioned. I'm not saying that Pete Carmichael would be a bad choice, but let's focus on quality coaches that BC can land. I learned of Moorhead on this site and he turned the Penn St offense around, increasing their total offense by over 100 yards per game! What would BC's record be under Moorhead with our current talent? I think he would also do very well in recruiting.

What is truly disappointing is that the program is currently where it was in 1996. It's in despair, disarray. So now, Jarmond has to do what GDF did back in 1997 and bring someone like a Tom O'Brien in, just to get them off the operating table, just to stabilize the patient who has lingered too long in the ER. They have to rebuild virtually everything. This season is turning out to be an epic disaster. At least in 2015 the defense was (arguably) number one in the country. That kept them in games. They have no such control at this point.

Gene D did not hire TOB you dumb fuck. GDIAF, Retardo. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Gene D did not hire TOB you dumb fuck. GDIAF, Retardo. :ace

This
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:18 pm

It's the above what evidence is there that he would be even a decent Head Coach? He is even below the Schiano line. As is Don Brown.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:19 pm

BC would be 3-0 with another coach. Morehead is above the Schiano Line.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:16 am

Moorhead is the best candidate and most realistic candidate, but Don Brown is much better than Schiano. I want a coach with success turning a losing program into a winning program as a head coach. Moorhead and Brown check that box, but there could be others.

At this point MJ has to be seriously preparing to replace Daz, not because we are 1-2, but because it's obvious that this defense is finished, thus they have zero chance at finishing with more than 3-4 overall wins. Not only has Daz been exposed losing Don Brown defensively, but as others on here have been harping on for 2 years, he has not recruited defensive tackles. What a fucking drop off from what Don Brown built here. Once you can't stop the run it's program over. That was not a good ND team, but that is one of the worst BC teams since Henning!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium