Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby eagle33 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:25 pm

umass fires walt bell. maybe this can be a landing spot for dan mullen.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:15 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:edsall out. can't believe they brought him back to begin with.

Jim Mora Jr. going to Hartford.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:edsall out. can't believe they brought him back to begin with.

Jim Mora Jr. going to Hartford.

I find this news shocking. My assumption was that they'd quietly kill off the program at a D1 level and revert back to 1AA. If they are really paying Mora $1.5 million a year, they aren't doing that. Still, with basketball in the Big East, how can they possibly run a successful football program unless their goal is to go 1-10 every year with a win over an 0-11 UMASS team at the end of the year.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 am

VTech fired Fuente. Odd timing as they won last week. Why didn't they do it after they lost to us?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:41 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:VTech fired Fuente. Odd timing as they won last week. Why didn't they do it after they lost to us?

The latest in a long line of up and comers who failed at the next level. VT still has a lot of positives, but I don't know if it is as desirable as it was when Fuente took the job.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Can't imagine he would leave South Carolina after only one year, but Shane Beamer would otherwise be the layup hire.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Hafley is in the "losing to him is a fireable offense" phase already?

Seems like just yesterday losing to UNC was a moral victory...
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:23 pm

Va Tech is a spent force. It had a nice little run that was aided by the fact that (a) the baby rapists were late to the game in understanding how much talent comes out of the Hampton-Newport and Southside areas in particular and Virginia in general; (b) UVA getting on its high horse and through its own arrogance and stupidity blowing up its relationships with the Hampton-Newport and Southside area high school coaching mafia even though the most successful Cav teams drew most of its high end talent from those regions (Terry Kirby, Herman Moore, James Farrior, etc.).

Now, the Baby Rapists are all over the Old Dominion--Clemson, Notre Dame and whole host of SEC schools are harvesting from Hampton-Newport/Southside and even NoVa, which punches considerably above it weight between the powerhouse programs of Fairfax and Loudon Counties (Robinson, Centerville, Chantilly, Ashburn, Stone Bridge) and the Catholic schools is being harvested by Penn State, Ohio State, ND and the SEC. There just isn't enough leftover talent or talent that wants to stay at home for Tech to be what it was in the late 90s through the Aughties. That isn't to say Va Tech should suck, but even in a shitty ACC, no one should be expecting them to be a consistent 10 game winner. In some ways, they are the homeless man's Miami Hurricanes, who built their dynasty harvesting from a talent-rich area that no one knew about. The Miami dynasty was ultimately doomed the minute the Notre Dames, Michigans, and Ohio States of the world began pulling large numbers of players out of Florida* with the difference being that there was so much talent they got by for longer than Va Tech could with its more limited talent supply. Fuentes is a mediocre coach, but no one who comes in is going to be able to exploit the demographics that built Beamer's program.

*West Virginia's apex under Don Nehlen in the mid 80s/early 90s and its last faltering gasps as a power in the early 2000s was entirely the product of Doc Holliday's recruiting pipeline from South Florida. West Virginia was ultimately killed off when everyone else started fishing in the same recruiting pond and when Holliday left for head coaching jobs.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Va Tech is a spent force. It had a nice little run that was aided by the fact that (a) the baby rapists were late to the game in understanding how much talent comes out of the Hampton-Newport and Southside areas in particular and Virginia in general; (b) UVA getting on its high horse and through its own arrogance and stupidity blowing up its relationships with the Hampton-Newport and Southside area high school coaching mafia even though the most successful Cav teams drew most of its high end talent from those regions (Terry Kirby, Herman Moore, James Farrior, etc.).

Now, the Baby Rapists are all over the Old Dominion--Clemson, Notre Dame and whole host of SEC schools are harvesting from Hampton-Newport/Southside and even NoVa, which punches considerably above it weight between the powerhouse programs of Fairfax and Loudon Counties (Robinson, Centerville, Chantilly, Ashburn, Stone Bridge) and the Catholic schools is being harvested by Penn State, Ohio State, ND and the SEC. There just isn't enough leftover talent or talent that wants to stay at home for Tech to be what it was in the late 90s through the Aughties. That isn't to say Va Tech should suck, but even in a shitty ACC, no one should be expecting them to be a consistent 10 game winner. In some ways, they are the homeless man's Miami Hurricanes, who built their dynasty harvesting from a talent-rich area that no one knew about. The Miami dynasty was ultimately doomed the minute the Notre Dames, Michigans, and Ohio States of the world began pulling large numbers of players out of Florida* with the difference being that there was so much talent they got by for longer than Va Tech could with its more limited talent supply. Fuentes is a mediocre coach, but no one who comes in is going to be able to exploit the demographics that built Beamer's program.

*West Virginia's apex under Don Nehlen in the mid 80s/early 90s and its last faltering gasps as a power in the early 2000s was entirely the product of Doc Holliday's recruiting pipeline from South Florida. West Virginia was ultimately killed off when everyone else started fishing in the same recruiting pond and when Holliday left for head coaching jobs.

I somewhat agree. They had Southeast Virginia to themselves for two decades when it was producing a ton of talent. However, Virginia demographics remain very favorable. The state is growing and football remains strong as it starts to decline in PA, NJ, and parts of the Midwest. UVA's current staff is out of touch with the Hampton Roads area. The DC area also remains a good territory. If they get a good recruiter, they could get back to being a Top 25 program that becomes elite when the next Vick falls in their lap.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Mullen out at Florida. He blew off Bates when he was at Miss St.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:44 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Mullen out at Florida. He blew off Bates when he was at Miss St.

I haven't seen Haf-time's name come up for any of these jobs, despite the predictions of certain NJ high school football fans who post here.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:51 am

must've not made it to the war room yet but:

https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status ... 9498014725

According to FootballScoop, UW has 4 candidates they’re vetting:

Justin Wilcox (Cal HC): 3-6 in 2021
Jeff Hafley (BC HC): 6-5
Kalen DeBoer (Fresno HC): 8-3
Bryan Harsin (Auburn HC): 6-4

*i don't think hafley is a candidate for washington
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:must've not made it to the war room yet but:

Last thing I see Hafley doing is uprooting his family to take over a dormant program in the PAC-12.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:42 am

I think the coaching staff turned a potential win into a loss on Saturday with some terrible decisions and i dont see any other programs taking a run at Hafley until he works it out. On that final drive, the play call on 3rd down and the unnecessary TO stick in my craw.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:52 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think the coaching staff turned a potential win into a loss on Saturday with some terrible decisions and i dont see any other programs taking a run at Hafley until he works it out. On that final drive, the play call on 3rd down and the unnecessary TO stick in my craw.

Third and foot inside the 10 in the first half was the dumbest playcall of the game. Just pick up the first or do a playaction. They were abusing our o-line at that point. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:58 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I think the coaching staff turned a potential win into a loss on Saturday with some terrible decisions and i dont see any other programs taking a run at Hafley until he works it out. On that final drive, the play call on 3rd down and the unnecessary TO stick in my craw.

Third and foot inside the 10 in the first half was the dumbest playcall of the game. Just pick up the first or do a playaction. They were abusing our o-line at that point. :ace

Jurk is adept at the sneak, he is a big boy and can run it almost every play and get a yard even if they know its coming.;
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:must've not made it to the war room yet but:

Last thing I see Hafley doing is uprooting his family to take over a dormant program in the PAC-12.

Peterson had Washington in the playoffs. They are not that dormant.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm

that job becomes a lot more attractive if cristobal leaves
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:25 pm

No public confirmation yet if Hafley agrees that "8 or 9 wins is the best you can do at BC"... mainly because he has yet to experience 7. Nonetheless, he has to like the fact that Winningham remains retired and Jim Mora Jr just moved to Harford.
https://www.si.com/college/washington/f ... ing-search
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:34 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Mullen out at Florida. He blew off Bates when he was at Miss St.

Maybe Dan is homesick to be closer to his NH roots now after his adventures in the south land. Given his past associations with HCRD, maybe he’d join the BC staff as OC as long as he doesn’t have to recruit, which he reportedly abhors.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:17 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:

Maybe Dan is homesick to be closer to his NH roots now after his adventures in the south land. Given his past associations with HCRD, maybe he’d join the BC staff as OC as long as he doesn’t have to recruit, which he reportedly abhors.

Maybe I’ll win the Powerball tomorrow
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

Maybe I’ll win the Powerball tomorrow

Besides refusing to recruit, that Athletic piece indicated Florida's biggest problem was getting killed in the trenches on both sides. So yeah, no thanks on Mullen. The only non-recruiter I'd consider is a proven NFL O-line guru who doesn't want that grind anymore (assuming Hafley would be willing to move on from Appelbaum, perhaps over Cignetti's objections). Maybe someone who wants his kids or grandkids to be able to attend BC or another Jesuit school (through that tuition exchange program). Let such a person be Socrates and stay on the players over technique, mobility and strength-building. Evaluate O-Line recruits on film and be available for calls/videos the primary recruiter sets up for them, and of course meet with them when on campus.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 am

You are basically describing Columbo. Would love to give an alum top dollar to fix our mess while rehabbing his career under a coach who can recommend his return to the NFL. One caveat is that I would check in with Pete Kendall before making any hire. He’s a good source given his unique experience.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:

Recruiting is the one thing, the most important thing that an assistant to Hafley, needs to do. You have to grovel to these blue-chip high school kids, swallow your pride and kiss their ass. I'm sure it eats Saban up to do that, but the results are on the field when his team simply out-athletes everyone else. If you don't want to recruit because it abhors you, go work with Addazio. He still doesn't recruit.

Look you can get lucky and "time it" so that your entire roster is made up of 22 year old men, carved out of wood. Then send them on to the field and beat the hell out of the 19 year old kids. The difference is physical power and bone structure (19 year old vs a 22 year old) can be dramatic. That is what Luke Fickell has this year. He has 30 seniors on the roster at Cincinnati which is the sole reason they are 11-0 and likely heading to the playoffs.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that one of the main reasons why Jags went 8-0 in his first year at BC was because he had such a talented roster. But the number one reason was he had 17 graduate students on it. BC was the second oldest roster in college football in 2007, behind only BYU. Half of BC's roster could buy alcohol.

But if you want to every year to be competitive (not just the one year your entire roster is made up of Seniors who have played varsity together for 3+ years) then you need to sell, you need to recruit.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:You are basically describing Columbo. Would love to give an alum top dollar to fix our mess while rehabbing his career under a coach who can recommend his return to the NFL. One caveat is that I would check in with Pete Kendall before making any hire. He’s a good source given his unique experience.

How do we know that it’s applebaum and not the players he’s coaching?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:24 pm

on this, the eve of thanksgiving, i would like to take this moment and give thanks to hansen for posting the first "trust the staff" comment that we've seen in these parts for likely years. thanks, hansen, for your support of these staff members that have clearly earned said trust...

not
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:32 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:You are basically describing Columbo. Would love to give an alum top dollar to fix our mess while rehabbing his career under a coach who can recommend his return to the NFL. One caveat is that I would check in with Pete Kendall before making any hire. He’s a good source given his unique experience.

hansen, for the next two games, the players Matt Applebaum and Jeff Hafley are coaching, are still Addazio's players. All "we-don't-have-enough-information-to-know-how-good-Hafley's-staff-is-at-recruiting-yet" bets are OFF next year. 2022, put up or shut up coach Hafley (and also Applebaum.)

I'd like to remind everyone, 1997 and 1998, BC sucked. 1999 they were good again, :toby 's players arrived.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:19 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

hansen, for the next two games, the players Matt Applebaum and Jeff Hafley are coaching, are still Addazio's players. All "we-don't-have-enough-information-to-know-how-good-Hafley's-staff-is-at-recruiting-yet" bets are OFF next year. 2022, put up or shut up coach Hafley (and also Applebaum.)

I'd like to remind everyone, 1997 and 1998, BC sucked. 1999 they were good again, :toby 's players arrived.

Yeah, I was debating mentioning Colombo but didn't want to write too much. If Hafley is committed to the zone blocking scheme, he wouldn't hire Colombo in favor of Applebaum, right? Plus there is "empirical" evidence that until recently BC's offensive line was playing very well. PFF had them #2 in the country going into Week 11 (we faced FSU in Week 12 of course). I'm not sure how seriously to take that, as almost all of the PFF people would jump on a pro or college offer to "analyze".

But the debate above really hits the nub, right? Are they miscast for Cignetti's scheme, or are they coached poorly? Here too as you note HJS Kendall would have a valuable perspective.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

Billy Napier getting the Florida job.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Thamel has Riley going to USC, guess he wasn’t lying saying he wouldn’t be next coach at Lsu
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext