Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby eagle33 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Davie suspended, could be on the way out at NM.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Coach Flip Jr. apparently to be named Vikings OC
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Coach Flip Jr. apparently to be named Vikings OC

well never hear from case keenum again
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:12 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

well never hear from case keenum again

"Coach Flip, he's a grinder," Foles said Monday. "Barely sleeps. Fundamentals, giving us the game plan, giving us all our checks, extremely detailed. I'm grateful for him. He's done an amazing job this year. It's not easy when your franchise quarterback goes down. But the great thing about our team and our coaching staff is, they work so well together and they do it all together. ... We're very fortunate as players to have such a great coaching staff."
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, Reiss and Curran are two of the only guys with access over there.

You forgot about Ron Borges. He's pretty well connected.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Coach Flip glad-handing the Vikings brass would be quite a sight.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm

FHCRD got a nice bump at tOSU

#OhioState releases its coaching staff salary info. DC Greg Schiano is now at $1.5 million; Ryan Day is at $1 million; Kevin Wilson is at $800K; Alex Grinch is at $800K.. The former WAZZU DC had some other opportunities that would've paid him considerably more.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:FHCRD got a nice bump at tOSU

#OhioState releases its coaching staff salary info. DC Greg Schiano is now at $1.5 million; Ryan Day is at $1 million; Kevin Wilson is at $800K; Alex Grinch is at $800K.. The former WAZZU DC had some other opportunities that would've paid him considerably more.

What is the range for NFL assistants?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

read on twitter that frye is meeting with chip kelly at ucla
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:read on twitter that frye is meeting with chip kelly at ucla

Per FootballScoop.com:

UCLA: Source tells FootballScoop Chip Kelly brought Boston College offensive line coach Justin Frye in to interview for his offensive line job. Pretty good shot Frye winds up at UCLA we are told. Frye played at Indiana then served as a grad assistant at both Indiana and Florida, before going with Steve Addazio to Temple and then to Boston College where he has been since 2013.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 pm

are those the same guys that said campanile was leaving?

again, i can't say i blame these guys. i wouldn't want to work for that oozing-infected-ingrown-ass-hair in a headset either
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Frye is gone per Pete Thamel. Will be replaced by former BC GA Phil Trautwein, believe he's from NJ and played at Florida for Addazio. Think he followed former BC staffer Vinny Marino to Davidson and according to Wikipedia, was recently named the Yale OL coach

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel
1m
Source: BC OLine coach Justin Frye will headed to UCLA. He’ll be replaced at BC by Phil Trautwein.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:are those the same guys that said campanile was leaving?

again, i can't say i blame these guys. i wouldn't want to work for that oozing-infected-ingrown-ass-hair in a headset either

no, the people who said camp was leaving were the ones who stole the naming rights of chevy's nexus
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:51 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Frye is gone per Pete Thamel. Will be replaced by former BC GA Phil Trautwein, believe he's from NJ and played at Florida for Addazio. Think he followed former BC staffer Vinny Marino to Davidson and according to Wikipedia, was recently named the Yale OL coach

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel
1m
Source: BC OLine coach Justin Frye will headed to UCLA. He’ll be replaced at BC by Phil Trautwein.

From earlier when he was rumored for the ND job...
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I may be in the minority, but I've always liked Frye and think he has done a pretty good job in his time here. ND would be a near perfect move for him.

That said, if he leaves, I have confidence that Daz will bring in a quality replacement. Daz has done a very good job while at BC finding quality assistants. This likely comes from him being a well-liked, known quantity in the coaching fraternity. Further, with all his considerable faults, Daz is legitimately an excellent OLine coach. Saban/Harbaugh/Meyer would all hire him in a heartbeat (and give him some sort of Assistant Head Coach title) to coach their OL. If Daz has less time planning for gameday because he is being more hands-on with the OL... that is probably to the betterment of everyone.

yes - there have been no complains about the o-line in frye's 5 years here. he's been an excellent coach that certainly drove the strength of the offense for all of his tenure. it's totally because of him and his 5 years of stellar o-line play that we're the school known as o-line u

3 of 5 years they had an elite rushing attack.

Why are you trying to talk football to someone who doesn't even like sports?

Good for Frye... who most here hated (but now will pretend he is a great loss). I absolutely effing hate the promotion from within. Terrible... TERRIBLE job. The OLine position is way too important for this team to have someone spend the season doing on-the-job-training. That said, as I mentioned previously, if this means Daz has to be more hands-on with the OLine (and thus has less time to interject himself in prep and planning for gameday)... good.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 pm

so, mo'j, did you like frye or hate frye?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so, mo'j, did you like frye or hate frye?

I may be in the minority, but I've always liked Frye and think he has done a pretty good job in his time here.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so, mo'j, did you like frye or hate frye?

I may be in the minority, but I've always liked Frye and think he has done a pretty good job in his time here.

you act like once you say something your opinion on it never changes. NEWSFLASH - this is almost NEVER the case for you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Good for Frye... who most here hated (but now will pretend he is a great loss). I absolutely effing hate the promotion from within. Terrible... TERRIBLE job. The OLine position is way too important for this team to have someone spend the season doing on-the-job-training. That said, as I mentioned previously, if this means Daz has to be more hands-on with the OLine (and thus has less time to interject himself in prep and planning for gameday)... good.

I don't necessarily agree with this, the role of these assistants is primarily to recruit. In that sense, your criticism is fair as Trautwein (assuming its him) is an unknown. To suggest he cant run players through the same drills in practice and game prep is giving too much credit to the role of position coaches. Look at Campanile, he wasn't a DB coach prior to coming to BC, he coached TE's & WR's at Rutgers, and he's been relatively successful thus far. Washington was a RB coach here. This isn't a coordinator position, the position coaches are largely interchangeable.

Trautwein (again assuming its him) played for an elite college program, has NFL experience, and has been previously trained under Addazio. He will have had a very similar background to that of Frye, who was originally a GA and basically started at BC with a year under his belt at Temple as a full time OL coach (and as you mentioned, will have Addazio coaching in the mix as well).

He has to be able to recruit, bottom line, to suggest that an internal hire (which it technically isn't anyway) is terrible, isnt completely fair and doesn't exactly deviate from what Addazio did with Frye in the past.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Good for Frye... who most here hated (but now will pretend he is a great loss). I absolutely effing hate the promotion from within. Terrible... TERRIBLE job. The OLine position is way too important for this team to have someone spend the season doing on-the-job-training. That said, as I mentioned previously, if this means Daz has to be more hands-on with the OLine (and thus has less time to interject himself in prep and planning for gameday)... good.

I don't necessarily agree with this, the role of these assistants is primarily to recruit. In that sense, your criticism is fair as Trautwein (assuming its him) is an unknown. To suggest he cant run players through the same drills in practice and game prep is giving too much credit to the role of position coaches. Look at Campanile, he wasn't a DB coach prior to coming to BC, he coached TE's & WR's at Rutgers, and he's been relatively successful thus far. Washington was a RB coach here. This isn't a coordinator position, the position coaches are largely interchangeable.

Trautwein (again assuming its him) played for an elite college program, has NFL experience, and has been previously trained under Addazio. He will have had a very similar background to that of Frye, who was originally a GA and basically started at BC with a year under his belt at Temple as a full time OL coach (and as you mentioned, will have Addazio coaching in the mix as well).

He has to be able to recruit, bottom line, to suggest that an internal hire (which it technically isn't anyway) is terrible, isnt completely fair and doesn't exactly deviate from what Addazio did with Frye in the past.

If you can play 30 games in the SEC and last 3 years in the NFL, then you obviously know what it takes to be a good OL.
Hopefully, he works out for us.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm

All these staff changes make me a little nervous considering who our HC is.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 pm

all these staff changes don't surprise me based upon who our hc is
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:are those the same guys that said campanile was leaving?

again, i can't say i blame these guys. i wouldn't want to work for that Italian oozing-infected-ingrown-ass-hair in a headset either

fixed
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:23 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Frye is gone per Pete Thamel. Will be replaced by former BC GA Phil Trautwein, believe he's from NJ and played at Florida for Addazio. Think he followed former BC staffer Vinny Marino to Davidson and according to Wikipedia, was recently named the Yale OL coach

Pete Thamel @PeteThamel
1m

Trautwein announcement: http://bceagles.com/news/2018/2/27/foot ... ition.aspx
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:50 pm

welcome back trout-ween
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

Adding Sheridan is great. But, swapping Paul P and Frye with Antoine Smith and Trautwein... not so much.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Adding Sheridan is great. But, swapping Paul P and Frye with Antoine Smith and Trautwein... not so much.

Smith was going to be added regardless. Sheridan was swapped for Paul P. So your complaint is Frye for Trautwein, which, while I don't have any issues with Frye's coaching of the line, doesn't exactly seem like swapping Vince Lombardi for Vince Vaughn
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Doeren has been offered the Tennessee job. Debbie Yow has countered with more money, years and money for his staff.

This is so RCC... for months they have been slow-playing Doeren's extension. Now, that someone else came calling they offer more than they ever have before. Seems they bumped him to $3mm/5-years/more money for assistants. Have to assume that Tennessee tops that. BTW... how in the world are Vol fans OK with an NCS record of 33-30 and not a RU record of 68-67???

the athletic has transcripts of how the tennessee search went down:

https://theathletic.com/286214/2018/03/ ... my-pruitt/

the doeren aspect should have the puppy pound happy:

Dave Doeren

Doeren, the N.C. State head coach, appeared to express interest in the Tennessee job on Nov. 16, just four days after the Vols had fired Butch Jones, and 10 days before the Greg Schiano ordeal.

A Gmail account sent a message ending with Doeren’s signature to Currie with information about some of the Wolfpack players who had earned recognition from the ACC:

John –
I wanted to share this latest info on the players recognition and national reflection of the respect we have gained in the five years I have been here. My first year we had one player on this list.
Proof is always better than talk. Shows my ability to identify, recruit, retain, and develop players.
Dave Doeren
1Pack1Goal

A lengthy direct message exchange from Nov. 28 through Nov. 29 between Currie and Doeren’s agent, Bazant, shows the mutual interest between the parties. After Currie had told Bazant that Gundy was “out”, Bazant replied: “Ok. Let’s get this done”.

Currie flew to Raleigh, N.C., to meet with Doeren on Nov. 29. By that night, Currie wrote of N.C. State athletic director Debbie Yow: “Debbie is sending us buyout information so she can get paid.”

A brief exchange the morning of Nov. 30 ended with six unanswered messages from Bazant, the last two of which said “He Is fired up” and “Really need to hear from you”.

Additionally, a Nov. 30 text to Currie from what appears to be Yow included a link to a report that Tennessee had offered Doeren the job, adding: “John, if u offered last night, so be it. But as of yesterday afternoon, u said that had not occurred. Thought u would want to c this. Hope u r well. Debbie.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:46 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Additionally, a Nov. 30 text to Currie from what appears to be Yow included a link to a report that Tennessee had offered Doeren the job, adding: “John, if u offered last night, so be it. But as of yesterday afternoon, u said that had not occurred. Thought u would want to c this. Hope u r well. Debbie.”

People in senior leadership positions texting like middle school students never ceases to amaze me.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:10 am

brady hoke texts in all caps, as one would expect:

Brady Hoke

It appears the Vols’ interim head coach did not get seriously looked at for the job, but he did make a late pitch. Two days after Tennessee’s season ended, and right after the school backed out from Schiano amid fan backlash, Hoke texted Currie, in all-caps, “JOHN I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN HARD DAVE BRANDON HAS GONE THRU THE MOB MENTALITY AS I HAVE IT MADE ME BETTER AND IT SUCKS. WE ARE BEHIND YOU AND IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP LET ME KNOW.”

The reference was to former Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon, who was Hoke's AD in Ann Arbor.

Currie responded by asking, “I’m sorry who is this?” Hoke replied, “JOHN THIS IS BRADY IN ATLANTA RECRUITING.” About 20 minutes after that, Hoke texted, “JOHN I HOPE YOU DO KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO BE YOUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH I DO KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT WE LIVE IN AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE AT TENNESSEE!”

The next available text message between the two came on Dec. 1, the day Currie was fired. Hoke, who would be hired as the Carolina Panthers’ defensive line coach a month later, texted Currie, “JOHN VERY SORRY TO HEAR WHAT HAS HAPPENED THIS IS THE BULL CRAP THAT COLLEGE FOOTBALL HAS BECOME. IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:brady hoke texts in all caps, as one would expect:

Brady Hoke

It appears the Vols’ interim head coach did not get seriously looked at for the job, but he did make a late pitch. Two days after Tennessee’s season ended, and right after the school backed out from Schiano amid fan backlash, Hoke texted Currie, in all-caps, “JOHN I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN HARD DAVE BRANDON HAS GONE THRU THE MOB MENTALITY AS I HAVE IT MADE ME BETTER AND IT SUCKS. WE ARE BEHIND YOU AND IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP LET ME KNOW.”

The reference was to former Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon, who was Hoke's AD in Ann Arbor.

Currie responded by asking, “I’m sorry who is this?” Hoke replied, “JOHN THIS IS BRADY IN ATLANTA RECRUITING.” About 20 minutes after that, Hoke texted, “JOHN I HOPE YOU DO KNOW I WOULD LIKE TO BE YOUR HEAD FOOTBALL COACH I DO KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT WE LIVE IN AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE AT TENNESSEE!”

The next available text message between the two came on Dec. 1, the day Currie was fired. Hoke, who would be hired as the Carolina Panthers’ defensive line coach a month later, texted Currie, “JOHN VERY SORRY TO HEAR WHAT HAS HAPPENED THIS IS THE BULL CRAP THAT COLLEGE FOOTBALL HAS BECOME. IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.”

I'm legitimately shocked that his spelling is correct.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium