Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby durkcal on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 am

I think Bobby Wilder of Old Dominion (GA BC under Bicknell) is a more obvious candidate than Moorehead.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:I think Bobby Wilder of Old Dominion (GA BC under Bicknell) is a more obvious candidate than Moorehead.

Agreed. He's cheap and over 50. Fr. Leahy would be 100% on board just as long as Wilder stopped shaving his upper lip.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Im starting to think that corners is joking with the Don Brown stuff. No chance he could continue to beat this dead horse and be serious. You have to hire an offensive minded coach, bottom line, how many examples do you need to see. Look across the conference, how many coaches have defensive backgrounds ? I think Narduzzi and Mendenhall are it. Hiring a 60+ year old defensive savant isn't changing this mess. Contrary to much of what people here are saying, I think a competent coach can change this quick, because unlike the post-Spaz time, there is at least a top line level of talent and proper numbers/depth.

I spoke to a friend who is close to PSU and he seems to think that Morehead will stay in B10 country (hes also a moron so take that information with a grain of salt). Where that is idk because as of now, I don't see any big 10 teams making a change after this season (maybe Nebraska ?).

The only thing that makes me hopeful re: Day is that maybe he would be more dynamic offensively being out from under Addazio. Unfortunately, we really have no way of knowing since he hasn't been OC without the weight of Addazio hanging over him or as the singular play-caller (unless they fire Wilson at tOSU and give play-calling duties to Day this season).

The Carmichael stuff is interesting, but for all the talk about him being a NFL HC candidate for years, why has that not happened ?

I'm still of the opinion that even as incompetent as BC has been, there has to be someone, ideally in the BOT, that can make the case to hire a big name and get out of this cycle of cheap mistakes. If you have to go out and pay $4mm + to get someone (Chip), you make it back quickly with increased contributions and ticket sales and are instantly competitive on the field and in recruiting.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:41 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Im starting to think that corners is joking with the Don Brown stuff. No chance he could continue to beat this dead horse and be serious. You have to hire an offensive minded coach, bottom line, how many examples do you need to see. Look across the conference, how many coaches have defensive backgrounds ? I think Narduzzi and Mendenhall are it. Hiring a 60+ year old defensive savant isn't changing this mess. Contrary to much of what people here are saying, I think a competent coach can change this quick, because unlike the post-Spaz time, there is at least a top line level of talent and proper numbers/depth.

I spoke to a friend who is close to PSU and he seems to think that Morehead will stay in B10 country (hes also a moron so take that information with a grain of salt). Where that is idk because as of now, I don't see any big 10 teams making a change after this season (maybe Nebraska ?).

The only thing that makes me hopeful re: Day is that maybe he would be more dynamic offensively being out from under Addazio. Unfortunately, we really have no way of knowing since he hasn't been OC without the weight of Addazio hanging over him or as the singular play-caller (unless they fire Wilson at tOSU and give play-calling duties to Day this season).

The Carmichael stuff is interesting, but for all the talk about him being a NFL HC candidate for years, why has that not happened ?

I'm still of the opinion that even as incompetent as BC has been, there has to be someone, ideally in the BOT, that can make the case to hire a big name and get out of this cycle of cheap mistakes. If you have to go out and pay $4mm + to get someone (Chip), you make it back quickly with increased contributions and ticket sales and are instantly competitive on the field and in recruiting.

barring a 4-8 season (and evne then it might not be enough) or Leahy retiring, i am worried that we are stuck with Dazaster for another year.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:35 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Im starting to think that corners is joking with the Don Brown stuff. No chance he could continue to beat this dead horse and be serious. You have to hire an offensive minded coach, bottom line, how many examples do you need to see. Look across the conference, how many coaches have defensive backgrounds ? I think Narduzzi and Mendenhall are it. Hiring a 60+ year old defensive savant isn't changing this mess. Contrary to much of what people here are saying, I think a competent coach can change this quick, because unlike the post-Spaz time, there is at least a top line level of talent and proper numbers/depth.

barring a 4-8 season (and evne then it might not be enough) or Leahy retiring, i am worried that we are stuck with Dazaster for another year.

Hansen, I think we are stuck with Dazzler until his contract expires regardless of his record. I hope I am wrong. Until I am wrong, I am hugging my woobie.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:17 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Are you all that confident in hitting the four-win mark?

Cal hired an up-and-coming coach for under $2mm, a former defensive coordinator. He went out and hired an OC. They're now 3-0, with wins over UNC and Ole Miss. It can be done, if you actually hire the right guy.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/14/cal-announces-justin-wilcox-hire/
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 pm

It makes no difference what side of the ball a coach comes from. That's sports radio drama. I believe the New England Patriots coach, I forget his name, came from the defensive side of the ball.

Moorhead is the best choice and he will take the BC job and double his salary. If he wants the PSU, Michigan or tOSU job someday he has to prove himself at a place like BC. Don Brown has also been a successful head coach and has developed good offensive teams. Everyone on here said that if BC could just average one more TD per game with Brown's defense BC would have 8-9 wins per year. The guy is flat out a great coach and he has already proved himself at BC. The one advantage to his age is that no one is going to come after him that BC can't fend off.

Your last point is the most critically important aspect about the future of this program. BC has to accept the fact that they cannot win without a very good coach and that coach is eventually going to cost at least 4 million per year. It's boom or bust at the box office for BC. They usually spend 4 million on head coaches every year anyways, but only one shows up for work!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Yes, I would be absolutely shocked if we don’t win four especially if Brown keeps improving which I fully expect he will.
Last edited by hansen on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 am

The next head coach will be AA. Leahy is on cloud nine over the praise he is getting for hiring Jarmond. He's now talking endlessly about the need for diversity in the coaching ranks. I did not get the details, but there is a group or a consulting firm now working with the NCAA to get AA's jobs as head coaches. BC is expected to work with them on future hires. Maybe it is just talk, but that was my take away over the weekend.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:The next head coach will be AA. Leahy is on cloud nine over the praise he is getting for hiring Jarmond. He's now talking endlessly about the need for diversity in the coaching ranks. I did not get the details, but there is a group or a consulting firm now working with the NCAA to get AA's jobs as head coaches. BC is expected to work with them on future hires. Maybe it is just talk, but that was my take away over the weekend.

I don't care about color I just want a freaking guy that isn't a goddamn clown coaching this football program. And that goes for basketball as well. It's goddamn embarrassing.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:49 am

They will (and should) go after Charlie Strong despite his travails at Texas, but they won't get him. But other than that, I don't see an AA candidate for football unless you are really confident in Frank Wilson at UTSA or a Wild Card like Herman Edwards and I'm not sure they'd come to BC. While I think Jarmond will thankfully nationalize the search more than Bates, I think he'll find that there's a reason Big10 OCs and American/MAC successes tend to get consideration.

I think there's a very good chance there's an AA coach after Christian gets fired.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:14 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:The next head coach will be AA. Leahy is on cloud nine over the praise he is getting for hiring Jarmond. He's now talking endlessly about the need for diversity in the coaching ranks. I did not get the details, but there is a group or a consulting firm now working with the NCAA to get AA's jobs as head coaches. BC is expected to work with them on future hires. Maybe it is just talk, but that was my take away over the weekend.

is it the joint that buttcut went to? i really, really, REALLY hope we don't use buttcut's consulting services to go find our next coach. he fucked up all the coaching hires he handled for us directly, i couldn't imagine how fucked up they would be as a consultative effort.

in before mrs. skinner suggests we should hire coach handsome back
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 am

A couple more names if they haven't been brought up:

Mike Houston, Head Coach of James Madison (1-AA National Champion, 2016 team is undefeated so far and scored 75 points on Saturday. Has ties to DC area and Carolinas.

Walt Bell, Maryland Offensive Coordianator. Team has scored more than 50 points in first two games. Handsome, wife is probably very attractive. Having a hot wife is usually a good sign of success in a coach. Had good college experience including including North Carolina. Probably raised a Baptist but "Paris (Chestnut Hill) vaut une messe", oui?
Last edited by DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:A couple more names if they haven't been brought up:

Mike Houston, Head Coach of James Madison (1-AA National Champion, 2016 team is undefeated so far and scored 75 points on Saturday. Has ties to DC area and Carolinas.

Walt Bell, Maryland Offensive Coordianator. Team has scored more than 50 points in first two games. Handsome, wife is probably very attractive. Having a hot wife is usually a good sign of success in a coach. Had good college experience including including North Carolina. Probably raised a Baptist but
"Paris (Chestnut Hill) vaut une messe", oui?

Are we using old baseball men criteria in evaluating coaching candidates?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:05 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:A couple more names if they haven't been brought up:

Walt Bell, Maryland Offensive Coordianator. Team has scored more than 50 points in first two games. Handsome, wife is probably very attractive. Having a hot wife is usually a good sign of success in a coach. Had good college experience including including North Carolina. Probably raised a Baptist but
"Paris (Chestnut Hill) vaut une messe", oui?

Are we using old baseball men criteria in evaluating coaching candidates?

Definitely. One of the lessons of Moneyball are that you should judge athletes by the attractiveness of their partners. It is a good proxy for confidence.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 am

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

is it the joint that buttcut went to? i really, really, REALLY hope we don't use buttcut's consulting services to go find our next coach. he fucked up all the coaching hires he handled for us directly, i couldn't imagine how fucked up they would be as a consultative effort.

in before mrs. skinner suggests we should hire coach handsome back

He still is BC's all time winning coach....just sayn'
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Tony Alford. Know MJ from Ohio State. Five years at Notre Dame.

Troy Walters from UCF could be a future HC candidate. Let's see how this year turns out. Good first game for the offense.

Mike Reed - BC alum, just won a National Title at Clemson. Worked at NC State under Tom O'Brien.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:01 pm

For those that want to say academic standards make success at BC impossible, Wake/Duke/Vandy are a combined 9-0 right now.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:17 pm

yeah, but wake has played 3 really shitty teams
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:yeah, but wake has played 3 really shitty teams

I see what you did there

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm

BC doesn't usually go the retread route, but this could be a big year for them: Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, Todd Graham, RichRod, Brian Kelly, Jim Mora, Bret Bielema, Butch Jones all could be candidates on the job market.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Yes, I would be absolutely shocked if we don’t win four especially if Brown keeps improving which I fully expect he will.

You're right, I forgot about the amazing Hail Mary he threw at the end of the half. And all his stops on D.

Remember how there was no way Spaz could lose to a bad Army team and go 2-10? This team got crushed by Wake. We only have four conceivable wins left, and we'll only be favored in two. I'll give you UConn. CMU is no guarantee, especially after we get physically and mentally decimated by Clemson; who's to say we're that much better than Kansas? UVA and 'Cuse are on the road. 3-9.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 am

This discussion is stupid. Not going for it at the end of the half isn't why we lost. Not going for it in that situation (where the team has played a very solid half) isn't necessarily even a terrible coaching decision. However, it is more evidence of Daz's ultra-conservative nature (as if we needed any). Ultimately, if I had to a quibble is that Daz has manipulated the conversation to be about whether or not to try a Hail Mary. There is, of course, a more practical interim step that most coaches would have explored... gaining an additional 15-yards and attempting a long FG.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:This discussion is stupid. Not going for it at the end of the half isn't why we lost. Not going for it in that situation (where the team has played a very solid half) isn't necessarily even a terrible coaching decision. However, it is more evidence of Daz's ultra-conservative nature (as if we needed any). Ultimately, if I had to a quibble is that Daz has manipulated the conversation to be about whether or not to try a Hail Mary. There is, of course, a more practical interim step that most coaches would have explored... gaining an additional 15-yards and attempting a long FG.

This, the bullshit call was the 2-yard draw with :13 at the ND 44, which kept the clock running and allowed him to let the clock run out. If he completes a pass instead, or even if it is incomplete and does not gain yardage, he gets 2 more plays to move it into range. Because he ran the ball, he was able to change the narrative to being one Hail Mary shot at the end zone. He's an ass.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:09 am

The guy is a fucking bozo! He is by far the worst coach we have ever had! We have a mobil QB who can avoid a sack and throw 3 Hail Mary's in 13 seconds. Two quick down and outs and kick a FG. You need points off turnovers. BC was a 13 point underdog with nothing to loose.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This discussion is stupid. Not going for it at the end of the half isn't why we lost. Not going for it in that situation (where the team has played a very solid half) isn't necessarily even a terrible coaching decision. However, it is more evidence of Daz's ultra-conservative nature (as if we needed any). Ultimately, if I had to a quibble is that Daz has manipulated the conversation to be about whether or not to try a Hail Mary. There is, of course, a more practical interim step that most coaches would have explored... gaining an additional 15-yards and attempting a long FG.

This, the bullshit call was the 2-yard draw with :13 at the ND 44, which kept the clock running and allowed him to let the clock run out. If he completes a pass instead, or even if it is incomplete and does not gain yardage, he gets 2 more plays to move it into range. Because he ran the ball, he was able to change the narrative to being one Hail Mary shot at the end zone. He's an ass.

This is also ignoring that he got the ball on his own 40 with 1:54 on the clock, three timeouts and had a first play that went 11 yards into ND territory and only took 8 seconds off the clock.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

As far as anyone outside on Yawkey knows, nothing has been decided. Jarmond probably has been thinking about his list since he was hired. He's been around real head coaches and having spent time with Ryan Day before taking the BC job, he knew coming in that he would be replacing Addazio sooner or later.

Assuming a move will be made, Leahy will insist that an AA candidate is in the final group. They will get help with that and they will hire a search firm. Leahy has been convinced that this is how to avoid the mistake Flip made with hiring. There will be input from some people close to the program and at least one former player involved in the hiring process. Bates will not be the firm they hire. He did not leave a good impression and no one will want to see him back on campus. My guess is they use the same firm that got them Jarmond.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:37 am

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:an AA candidate

African-American?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:39 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}: