Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Surprised the SEC allows coaches in The conference to switch jobs like that.

Seriously?

Doesn’t the ACC have a gentleman’s agreement (or rule) against it?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Surprised the SEC allows coaches in The conference to switch jobs like that.

Seriously?

Do you know who Dave Doeren replaced? Do you know where that coach was employed before he was hired by RCC?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Pat Forde's take on Tennessee...
https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carou ... 37752.html

Dan Wetzel's take on the Schiano outrage (saw it linked on Herbstreit's Twitter account ripping Tenn).
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/te ... 51492.html
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I think the media is getting the Schiano take wrong because he's been friendly to them and to stay in good graces with Urban. I don't know what Schiano knows about Sandusky, but it was a poor hire even without that element. Schiano was never going to fit in there and they need a guy who can take down Saban. Schiano is a guy who can build you from nothing, but I don't know if he is the type to break through that next level. Schiano is a better coach than Addazio, but was wrong from the start at Tennessee.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:25 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think the media is getting the Schiano take wrong because he's been friendly to them and to stay in good graces with Urban. I don't know what Schiano knows about Sandusky, but it was a poor hire even without that element. Schiano was never going to fit in there and they need a guy who can take down Saban. Schiano is a guy who can build you from nothing, but I don't know if he is the type to break through that next level. Schiano is a better coach than Addazio, but was wrong from the start at Tennessee.

That's what I wrote the second I heard the rumor. And Forde basically said the same. What the media is defending Schiano against is the Ped State thing. No one has said he was a great fit for Tenn. Everyone thinks that what the manner which the fans have chosen to assail the selection was out of bounds. I don't think the media needs some sort of ulterior Urban-centric motive to right an obvious wrong.

This was their Addazio hire. It's just that their lunatic fringe is crazier and more plentiful than the dozen personalities here that pretend to care about BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I think the media is getting the Schiano take wrong because he's been friendly to them and to stay in good graces with Urban. I don't know what Schiano knows about Sandusky, but it was a poor hire even without that element. Schiano was never going to fit in there and they need a guy who can take down Saban. Schiano is a guy who can build you from nothing, but I don't know if he is the type to break through that next level. Schiano is a better coach than Addazio, but was wrong from the start at Tennessee.

That's what I wrote the second I heard the rumor. And Forde basically said the same. What the media is defending Schiano against is the Ped State thing. No one has said he was a great fit for Tenn. Everyone thinks that what the manner which the fans have chosen to assail the selection was out of bounds. I don't think the media needs some sort of ulterior Urban-centric motive to right an obvious wrong.

This was their Addazio hire. It's just that their lunatic fringe is crazier and more plentiful than the dozen personalities here that pretend to care about BC.

As was pointed out on Twitter, GDF led the search for Tenn's clueless AD. I am sure he could have helped this football search but he was too busy stealing Ole Miss' money so that they could end up promoting their interim.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:42 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

As was pointed out on Twitter, GDF led the search for Tenn's clueless AD. I am sure he could have helped this football search but he was too busy stealing Ole Miss' money so that they could end up promoting their interim.

Holy shit, I didn't think this story could get any better. This whole thing is a set up to make the hiring of JDF seem palatable to Tennessee fans.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 pm

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index ... rm_th.html

Surprised GDF who recommend Schiano when his boy (and former Tenn OC pincushion) Dave Clawson was available.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously?

Do you know who Dave Doeren replaced? Do you know where that coach was employed before he was hired by RCC?

Forgot about the supply officer.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:46 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Pat Forde's take on Tennessee...
https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carou ... 37752.html

Ohio State apparently is satisfied with Schiano’s reputation, since it has employed him the last two years.

LOL - high standards!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:47 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously?

you probably forgot that tobias also recruited kuechly. don't worry - nowaist will remind you
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously?

This was mentioned when TOB was "hired away" from us by the Carnies - there is a gentlemen's agreement, but it can be (appropriately) waived by the party from whom the coach is being hired, provided there is sufficient notice and discussion and what-not. BC indicated they were fine with Rolly Klown "poaching" TOB, and the other schools in the conference were all fine with it, too, because an opponent they all viewed as beatable remained on their schedule. Other schools, fyi, could have made it difficult.

One of the few things I actually know about the ACC not from this board, and it is real. UMD's board has been stymied by it in the past.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:35 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So their AD has to be in some trash for this right? Can you allow him to make the hire after this?

What coach in his right mind accept a job in the midst of a dumpster fire like this?

Parenthetically, it amuses me what circumstances (like hiring a freakin' football coach) evoke peoples "moral" outrage. I'm sure the good people of Tennessee would likely support a fine man like Roy Moore.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am

Schiano sucks and UT fans were right to get pissed. If UT is hiring a retread, this person should at least have a conference championship on their resume, which the Patron Saint does not. The highlight of the Patron Saint's career was going 10-2 in the Big East Light. Not that impressive.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Schiano sucks and UT fans were right to get pissed. If UT is hiring a retread, this person should at least have a conference championship on their resume, which the Patron Saint does not. The highlight of the Patron Saint's career was going 10-2 in the Big East Light. Not that impressive.

I cannot wait until Tennessee hires an even worse coach than him.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously?

you probably forgot that tobias also recruited kuechly. don't worry - nowaist will remind you

I don't read nospace's football posts.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Schiano sucks and UT fans were right to get pissed. If UT is hiring a retread, this person should at least have a conference championship on their resume, which the Patron Saint does not. The highlight of the Patron Saint's career was going 10-2 in the Big East Light. Not that impressive.

and that one of his top three wins was just barely losing to west virgina that year
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 am

There are a million articles out there today slamming the Vol fans. But, I found this recitation of their current status interesting (and a nice counter-balance to show their fans insanity).

https://nypost.com/2017/11/27/tennessee ... -decision/
But Tennessee fans went after Schiano, most likely because they didn’t want him to be their next coach because they have an out-of-touch view of their program.

The Volunteers last won double-digit games in 2007. They last won 11 games in a season in 2001, their last top-10 finish. Their record over the previous 10 seasons is a woeful 64-63. You know what program that’s similar to? Rutgers, which is 63-65 in that span.

Tennessee needed Greg Schiano, who went 68-67 in 11 seasons as Rutgers’ coach from 2001-11, guiding the Scarlet Knights to six winning campaigns and six bowl games in his last seven seasons there, turning around what can be described only as a floundering program. Instead, its delusional fan base did all it could to prevent him from getting the job, relying on a what amounts to a nasty rumor against Schiano.

For the record, as I mentioned when the rumor surfaced, while I like Schiano, I think Tennessee is a terrible fit for him.

At the end of the day, Tennessee will be dramatically overpaying (both to payoff Schiano and to get someone to take the job). But, I think they are in such a position now that finances won't matter and that will result in a competent hire (though the AD may not be long for Knoxville when the program comes back deep in the red). I wonder if they explore Dana Holgorsen. He's only 46, done decent at WVU and tends to have high-scoring offenses. As for why anyone would touch the job? In some ways, this Schiano mess offers the next coach more stability. First, he isn't Butch Jones. Second, he isn't Greg Schiano. So, all the lunatic fringe that rioted will likely be relieved by the "nobody can be worse than Chris Crane" selection. And, as mentioned, this mess gives the next candidate a TON of leverage to land a big contract (something north of $4mm for 6 years with a $10mm buyout).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 am

Holgorsen's not a bad call - eastern Tennessee is virtually the same as West Virginia. The same crooked, shadowy hollers squatted in by the same overall-dipped, varmint-eatin' heehaws, squeaking into town a few times a year in a truck that looks like it was made from sticks by a pacific islands cargo cult. Death to couches!
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Georgia Southern took the interim tag off of Lunsford. Turnkey worked its magic again.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:At the end of the day, Tennessee will be dramatically overpaying (both to payoff Schiano and to get someone to take the job).

Haven't completely followed this closely but my understanding was that they signed a MOU but that's not any type of contract or legally binding so would they owe Schiano anything for basically a handshake written on paper?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:38 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:At the end of the day, Tennessee will be dramatically overpaying (both to payoff Schiano and to get someone to take the job).

Haven't completely followed this closely but my understanding was that they signed a MOU but that's not any type of contract or legally binding so would they owe Schiano anything for basically a handshake written on paper?

The MOU for their basketball coach Rick Barnes had a provision that he had to be paid a million per year if the agreement was breached. One would assume they just boiler plated the same agreement for Schiano. Therefore, they're on the hook to pay him something.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/re ... deal-falls
No one knows what the end result is here. But, I would think Tennessee would pay him off to prevent a lawsuit linked to his his name being slandered (assuming they don't have proof of the allegations of knowledge about Sandusky).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm

There are people who think Tennessee should rehire Land Kiffin. This actually makes sense. http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/ ... 817772001/
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:57 pm

I've seen rumors that there is a faction trying to remove Currie and install Fulmer as AD (who would bring in Cutcliffe). If your head isn't spinning from that, Lane Kiffin... sure. If Currie isn't able to get interest from someone good like Leach, I can see him hiring Tee Martin (currently USC OC) and daring the lunatics to slander a Vol hero.

BTW... Ole Miss paid GDF $137k to do a search that resulted in no coaching change.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Todd Graham out at ASU. Apparently, 7-5 and 14 games over .500 isn't good enough for the mighty Sun Devils. It seems the Chip Kelly effect has already gripped PAC12 ADs.

AD wants new coach to keep on the coordinators. seems like a stable situation
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Timestamp this:

JDF is going to turn this Eagles run into getting mentioned for every NFL opening there is this offseason. He will be called the "next Sean McVey" by someone. His dad will talk to every NFL reporter there is.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:15 pm

He's had one year as a coordinator. And it was a disaster. He can have his name mentioned, but how realistic is it to believe a team is going to hire an NFL position coach as a HC? I mean "getting your name out there" only takes you so far. However, I can see him parlaying this season into an OC or college HC job.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:50 pm

worked for Coughlin, but that was 25 yrs ago.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:04 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Timestamp this:

JDF is going to turn this Eagles run into getting mentioned for every NFL opening there is this offseason. He will be called the "next Sean McVey" by someone. His dad will talk to every NFL reporter there is.

Too late for the time stamp

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017 ... _john.html
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium