Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:47 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Todd Graham out at ASU. Apparently, 7-5 and 14 games over .500 isn't good enough for the mighty Sun Devils. It seems the Chip Kelly effect has already gripped PAC12 ADs.

AD wants new coach to keep on the coordinators. seems like a stable situation

Seems that the coach they are focused on is Kevin Sumlin who just collected his $10mm payout from TAMU. Meanwhile, ASU is cutting Graham a $12.5mm check to leave so they can hire someone fired 5 days ago. If this shows anything, it is that college administrators should never be trusted with money. Public school administrators are somehow worse than the normal FAIL mainly due to the added incompetence of politicians.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm

It seems that David Sutcliffe is the latest to tell Tennessee he is not interested. Supposedly, he just informed them that he would prefer instead to finish his career in Durham.

In other news, Moorhead has finally gotten his name out there... but at the terrible Miss State job. If he takes that career killer, then he cannot claim to be terribly selective as to fit.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:38 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:At the end of the day, Tennessee will be dramatically overpaying (both to payoff Schiano and to get someone to take the job).

Haven't completely followed this closely but my understanding was that they signed a MOU but that's not any type of contract or legally binding so would they owe Schiano anything for basically a handshake written on paper?

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/re ... deal-falls
No one knows what the end result is here. But, I would think Tennessee would pay him off to prevent a lawsuit linked to his his name being slandered (assuming they don't have proof of the allegations of knowledge about Sandusky).

ESPN has added a bit more: http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... eg-schiano

Sounds like the AD signed the MOU along with Schiano. If the AD has authority to enter agreements that bind the University (which I assume he does as Vice Chancellor), then I think they owe him money. The Chancellor's signature seems more procedural than legal.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:31 am

Moorhead to Mississippi State rumors. It must be the maroon and white color scheme.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:19 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Moorhead to Mississippi State rumors. It must be the maroon and white color scheme.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... a_str.html

If he takes the Miss State job it means (a) he wasn't as hot a property as folks here liked to think and (b) all the talk about being careful and only taking the "right opportunity" was bullshit.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Moorhead to Mississippi State rumors. It must be the maroon and white color scheme.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... a_str.html

If he takes the Miss State job it means (a) he wasn't as hot a property as folks here liked to think and (b) all the talk about being careful and only taking the "right opportunity" was bullshit.

I said he would get a Power 5 job and it looks like he is getting one. He said he was waiting on a Power 5 job and it looks like he is true to his word.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:32 am

There is nothing wrong with the Mississippi State job other than it being in Mississippi and in the same division with Alabama, LSU and Auburn. It's the SEC's NCSU.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is nothing wrong with the Mississippi State job other than it being in Mississippi and in the same division with Alabama, LSU and Auburn. It's the SEC's NCSU.

And it is the shittier and by far less attractive job in MISSISSIPPI. I also think calling MSU the NCSU of the SEC is unfair to RCC. Say what you want about it as a academic institution, but NC State sits in the Research Triangle and gets some cache from that. They have also won a couple of basketball national championships over the past 40 years or so and a half dozen ACC football titles since the 50s. Mississippi State's crowning achievement as a sport's program is either the 1996 Final Four or their success as an also ran among elite baseball programs--they won an SEC Title in 1941 but were crushed by Duquense in the Sugar Bowl. They also apparently went undefeated (with one tie in 1940, which cost them an SEC title) and nipped Georgetown in the Orange Bowl. In sum, Mississippi State may be the worst Power 5 job and Starkville is awful even by Mississippi standards--hell, Southern Miss is in a more attractive location.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am

You have to go back to Murray Warmath in 1952-1953 to find a MSU coach with a winning conference record (that includes Mullen). Before Mullen, you have to go back to Darrell Royal (1954-55) to find a coach with a winning overall record in Starkville. Saying MSU is a good program is to ignore all of history before 2009. The ACC does not have a correlative program in its midst such as Miss State. The Bulldogs have that unique trifecta of being a terrible academic institution in a terrible location with absolutely no athletic success. Hell... their stupid mascot is forgettable as it was already taken by a more established SEC school. It is Rutgers without the charm of New Brunswick. It is Texas Tech without the football success. It is Washington State without the lofty 140th USNWR ranking.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:51 am

My comment was more of a facetious "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" comment than any commentary on MSU's football historicity or academic pedigree.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Moorhead has coached at UConn. Miss St is going to feel like the NFL. Anyone who takes over for Mullen -- including Ryan Day -- is going to be in a great position. The cupboard is not bare and if you do well the first few years, you can jump to a better Big Ten or even ACC job. Mullen never left because until now no one offered him more money. He could have had the Miami job when Golden got it or some of these big ten jobs but it was always for less.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:37 pm

That's fine. I'm just glad to know that, for him, Starkville is the right opportunity that matches Moorhead personally and professionally. Because, now I can stop listening to idiots drone on and on about how perfect he would've been at BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:17 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:It must be the maroon and white color scheme.

And the nonexistent academic standards.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Hey Teddy there's a rumor ASU is going after Herm Edwards. I find this hilarious because I remember you really pushing him for BC last time.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Hey Teddy there's a rumor ASU is going after Herm Edwards. I find this hilarious because I remember you really pushing him for BC last time.

I still bet Herm would do well with a decent OC. Like a smart addazio that knows the Tampa two.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:58 pm

What's weird and shows that many ADs are clown shoes is that so many of these schools didn't seem to have a plan. How can you not have a solid list when you fire a guy?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Hey Teddy there's a rumor ASU is going after Herm Edwards. I find this hilarious because I remember you really pushing him for BC last time.

I initially raised him as a possible college coach. However, I think he is too old now and too far removed from the game.

First mention in 2010: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6946&p=148334&hilit=+herm#p148334
Second mention: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7690&p=167668&hilit=+herm#p167668
I simply pointed out that I thought he would be good in college. Teddy took the additional step of championing him for BC beginning in 2011: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&p=229416&hilit=+herm#p229416
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Moorhead (who has never been outside the Northeast) found the "right fit" for himself and his family in Starkville. I'm sure he will be paid well.

Gundy is staying at his alma mater. So that is like the 15th swing and miss from Tennessee. If they weren't such a mess, people would be talking about Oregon State having their job open for 2 months and after all that time is floating the idea of rehiring 71-year-old Dennis Erickson... or Arkansas, which has no AD, having multiple factions running different coaching searches.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 pm

It appears that Texas A&M has offered Jimbo Fisher their head coaching job.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/ ... 390487.php

From a quick read through the articles and message boards, it seems that everyone believes he will take it as FSU is not going to do much more than they did last year to keep him.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

These ADs should be taking a look at one of the top three finishers in the Coach of the Year race in the toughest conference in the country.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 pm

I would love to see Fisher leave FSU. Doubt whoever they hire after him builds a national champion. I also hope that the musical chair leads to Doeren and Clawson leaving. Coaching instability in the division is great for BC. Wake can go back to being Wake and even though we've done well against NC Sate, I would prefer that they have a shitty coach too.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 pm

No idea what direction FSU will go if they lose Jimbo, but they probably have the choice of pretty much anyone not already making $6mm per year. I personally think they would make a run at Willie Taggart. Bradenton kid who was just at USF and is known as a hell of a recruiter. His age and diversity would be a differentiator among the rest of the schools FSU routinely recruits against (UF, U, Bama, LSU, UGA).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:57 am

FSU to A&M seems like a lateral move at best but I would argue that it is a step down.
I don’t get it whatsoever unless Fisher truly has worn out his welcome in Tally.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am

hansen {l Wrote}:FSU to A&M seems like a lateral move at best but I would argue that it is a step down.
I don’t get it whatsoever unless Fisher truly has worn out his welcome in Tally.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I think this is the best year for him to make a move (given his age and terrible season). TAMU to FSU is a terrible job move. You are leaving a conference division that has one serious annual competitor in it (Clemson) to go to one that has three (LSU, Bama and Auburn). However, I'm sure they will be making him one of the top 5 paid coaches in the game with a bigger pool to hire assistants and an insane buyout. Also, remember, Jimbo got divorced while in Tallahassee because his wife was cheating on him with a former Gator football player (who the cuckold was obliviously paying to be a personal trainer). He may be looking for a different pond to fish in.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am

Tennessee interviewed Chad Morris last night after Gundy turned them down. Chad Morris' career record is 14-22. Remember, the real outcry about Schiano from Vol fans was due to his "losing" record at Rutgers (he was actually 1-game over .500). Supposedly, they are also kicking the tires on Auburn's DC (Kevin Steele). Steele was 9-36 in 4 years at Baylor.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:FSU to A&M seems like a lateral move at best but I would argue that it is a step down.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I think this is the best year for him to make a move (given his age and terrible season). TAMU to FSU is a terrible job move. You are leaving a conference division that has one serious annual competitor in it (Clemson) to go to one that has three (LSU, Bama and Auburn). However, I'm sure they will be making him one of the top 5 paid coaches in the game with a bigger pool to hire assistants and an insane buyout. Also, remember, Jimbo got divorced while in Tallahassee because his wife was cheating on him with a former Gator football player (who the cuckold was obliviously paying to be a personal trainer). He may be looking for a different pond to fish in.

I had no idea of this but the sheer destructive force of this coaching change season is now making me laugh out loud like a crazy person and its more compelling than TRE posting pics of men he meets underneath cell towers posing with glue guns.

If the carousel continues at this scope and scale, we may end up wrapped up in it somehow, and/or in four years from now, it will all be happening again because of all the terrible decisions made this year.

Were there Gator fans cheering on the trainer?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 am

I think Jimbo has been using coaching rumors as leverage the last couple of years. I thought that maybe he was looking to quiet the talk about his bad season and cut off talk about having to fire coordinators but it seems like FSU may be calling his bluff as they are sick of this. Also rumors that he is a real asshole to deal with on a professional level and then him banging coeds and all that.

Willie Taggart would be a great hire.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:20 pm

tennessee is apparently looking at brohm, that'll make next years ooc that much easier
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:tennessee is apparently looking at brohm, that'll make next years ooc that much easier

I heard that Jeff's brother Brian will be a better NFL quarterback than Matt Ryan.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium