Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel/Candidates Mega Thread

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm

LA Times article list Jeff Hafley as a possible candidate for USC. I’m not sure SC is going to attract a top level/established HC given how their AD botched up firing Clay Helton. These AD’s are as incompetent as it gets. What the hell did they see in Clay to bring him back for another season!

Bill O’Brien would take the job, maybe Matt Campbell, Luke Fickel and PJ Fleck. I’m sure they will all want 5 year guaranteed not to get fired contracts.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:LA Times article list Jeff Hafley as a possible candidate for USC.

Yeah that would be the icing on this shit cake, lose Jurkovec (possibly for the year) and lose Hafley to USC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:35 am

Other schools wanting your coach is a good thing. Hafley isn’t getting that job with the likelihood that he’ll be only 1 or 2 games over .500 while at BC. USC is still an elite program and they’ll have their choice of coaches.

The two most obvious are Kliff Kingsbury and Chris Petersen. Kingsbury is a bit of a stretch. But, if things go sideways in Arizona it could be possible in a Saban-leaving-the-Dolphins sorta way. Kingsbury was hired by USC to be their OC but left after a week to be head coach of the Cards. Petersen is available to hire right now with no buyout (he is a Fox TV analyst). The only question is whether he free of his body thetans.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 am

hafley to usc is like shinskie going pro
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:hafley to usc is like shinskie going pro

Agreed. I love Hafley, but an 8-5 record and a few good recruiting classes isn't getting you the USC job.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Agreed. I love Hafley, but an 8-5 record and a few good recruiting classes isn't getting you the USC job.

unless you are the boss of the coaches that suck - then they roll out the scarlet carpet for you
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:08 am

i'd throw in james franklin of the fighting pedos

don't see cristobal leaving oregon, he'll parlay their interest into more $$
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'd throw in james franklin of the fighting pedos

don't see cristobal leaving oregon, he'll parlay their interest into more $$

Franklin is the name most commonly linked at this early stage. But, I don't think he solves their problem. That fanbase is all about flashy offense and shady recruiting. Franklin is neither.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

8-5 was the record WITH Jurk. 6-6 (6-7 after bowl game) is the record without.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Strictly speaking this is not about the coaching candidates, but it does make me think about why Hafley would likely be a strong candidate for the NFL if he can win at BC. I just came across Nora Princiotti's article in The Ringer on NFL teams entitled "The Empathy Gap". Princiotti conducted over a dozen interviews with current and former players, executives, coaches, agents and "analysts" in the course of her research. She explored the notion that:

The NFL’s most recent evolutionary life cycles have been about data and schemes. Analytics, player-tracking data, aggressive management of the salary cap, and offenses lifted from the college game are all hallmarks of successful franchises in 2021. But in the race to optimize, some teams have tripped for reasons as basic as poor communication with players or unhealthy competition between departments within their organization. Cutting-edge teams have faltered by failing to navigate the messy convergence of player empowerment, constant news coverage, ownership demands, and the integration of objective data into team decision-making. There’s a new frontier for teams to explore: In a league obsessed with gaining the slimmest of edges, empathy may offer a competitive advantage--Italics added to distinguish the quotation from Princiotti's article.

From the beginning Hafley's really impressed me as a communicator and manager. Of course things are surely at least a bit different from the public image, but I would almost describe his public ethos as "Don't be an a******!". His openness to the media has generously shifted attention to the players, something critical in this new NIL age. Although I think he papered over the offensive line's issues last season, generally he seems to absorb blame and deflect praise to the players and staff. I thought his comments and approach last week, underlining the team's support of Grosel, was masterful. While I suspect we'll see Jurkovec if we get to Wake with a chance at the ACC Championship, there's no reason to say that now.

ATL noted how other BC coaches would have stubbed their toe even with this soft schedule so far. I'm impressed that, from what I can tell, the coaches have managed to keep things fairly basic through these three games, trusting the players to get through setbacks and issues without resorting to complex schemes. So Missouri and Clemson, perhaps our two strongest opponents, lack film on the wrinkles that are surely coming.

Not since Coughlin have I felt so confident in the coaching across all three phases, to avoid WTF losses and to maximize performance against high-level competition. He's only 9-5 in his career, so it's very early to feel assured. But we've seen the quality game plans against at least high-level opponents such as Clemson and UNC, as well as excellent management of the clock and other gametime decisions. I wonder if Hafley's skill as a communicator/manager and the trust he places in the players, at least publicly, minimize the probability of WTF-style letdowns. We'll learn more of course as we see BC play with a full off-season against stronger opponents, starting this weekend. It may be that the wrinkles I expect won't be there, and that the team will sputter to 6 or 7 wins. Personally, I think even with Grosel that they'll do better.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:34 pm

I will say a lot of things about Misfit Lion but I never thought he'd fall for giving TOB 10 wins in 2006.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will say a lot of things about Misfit Lion but I never thought he'd fall for giving TOB 10 wins in 2006.

It says final record, not who coached the bowl game. But thanks for missing the point.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:36 pm

if blogboy is the misfit lion, teddy is the pistol, but he’s going to be shooting some this that isn’t water or jelly all over the lion’s head, neck, and chest
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I will say a lot of things about Misfit Lion but I never thought he'd fall for giving TOB 10 wins in 2006.

It says final record, not who coached the bowl game. But thanks for missing the point.

ATL is a great fan and he is widely respected.

But let's not dislocate our shoulders patting Hafley on the back for a 3-0 start, or else strain our necks pulling a "Narragansett Beach Hansen."

According to Sagarin, the 3 teams we beat are ranked 243, 192, and 127. There only 130 teams in FBS.

On the basis of these rankings, Princeton, Weber St, and Sam Houston St would expect to be 3-0 as well against our schedule.

Is this the softest 3-0 record in college football history?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

ATL is a great fan and he is widely respected.

But let's not dislocate our shoulders patting Hafley on the back for a 3-0 start, or else strain our necks pulling a "Narragansett Beach Hansen."

According to Sagarin, the 3 teams we beat are ranked 243, 192, and 127. There only 130 teams in FBS.

On the basis of these rankings, Princeton, Weber St, and Sam Houston St would expect to be 3-0 as well against our schedule.

Is this the softest 3-0 record in college football history?

East Beach, Watch Hill.
Right next to Tay tay’s house.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:42 pm

I thought Rhode Islanders that vacationed in Watch Hill would be smarter. Misquamicut seems more likely.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I thought Rhode Islanders that vacationed in Watch Hill would be smarter. Misquamicut seems more likely.

wrong watch hill

https://www.nps.gov/fiis/planyourvisit/watchhill.htm
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:26 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Meyer's headaches are a lot like Coach K's bad back...they tend to spike when his team is not winning.

quite disappointed in this place that there's no commentary on this weekend's activity
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:43 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Meyer's headaches are a lot like Coach K's bad back...they tend to spike when his team is not winning.

quite disappointed in this place that there's no commentary on this weekend's activity

i hope this cheers you up.

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1445070893181546499
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 am

the stories that have come out re orgeron are something else.

hitting on a pregnant woman at a gas station whose husband turns out to be a high ranking LSU official. also getting paid full $17m buyout

https://theathletic.com/2891847/2021/10 ... ng-pariah/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:06 pm

texas tech parting ways with matt wells. he's only been there 2.5 seasons, just sayin.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:43 pm

i know it didn't matter as much at texas tech, but what is wells' position on crediting god for his football team's performance?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:06 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i know it didn't matter as much at texas tech, but what is wells' position on crediting god for his football team's performance?

seeing how bad tt sucks it's probably safe to say he's only used the lord's name in vain.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:38 pm

well then put him in the pile of coaches we can't consider because he doesn't talk about his imaginary friend enough
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:42 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:well then put him in the pile of coaches we can't consider because he doesn't talk about his imaginary friend enough

This gonna make Funisher big mad
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:well then put him in the pile of coaches we can't consider because he doesn't talk about his imaginary friend enough

This gonna make Funisher big mad

I'd love to respond frankly, but it's unclear nowadays what the banning criteria are for the atheist Massachusetts yankees who run the place.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:39 pm

i'm not from massoftwoshits and i had nothing to do with any banning, corporalthinskin
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:47 pm

i got banned for making fun of trump and mr. sensitive from virginia with my awesome videos in the election thread.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Are you really banned if no one notices. I neither noticed your videos nor your absence. I imagine not noticing your presence or absence is something I share with your family.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:53 pm

coaching hot seat from the athletic.

Steve Addazio, Colorado State: This was such a bizarre hire in the first place. Addazio is an East Coast guy with no ties in the region and did not win more than seven games in seven years at Boston College; he also was the target of some ugly allegations early in his tenure in Fort Collins and had some ugly comments from some of his old players at BC.

The Rams have some impressive talent but seem to have really underachieved since he’s been there. Case in point: a mind-boggling coaching gaffe to ruin what appeared to be a last-minute rally to win at Utah State last week. But rather than just spiking the ball after picking up a first down with 11 seconds left, Addazio’s field goal unit rushed onto the field and caused chaos. The Rams scrambled to get the play off when they didn’t need to and missed the game winner. He is 4-7 at CSU and that includes a blowout loss to FCS South Dakota State by three touchdowns and then losing at home to a Vanderbilt team that got whipped by FCS East Tennessee State.

This is a program that not only has some of the better players in the conference but also only had two losing seasons in the seven years before he was hired. Addazio does have the support of AD Joe Parker, and sources indicate the CSU leadership doesn’t want to make a big change less than two years after the screwy coaching search that got them Addazio. Temperature check: Kind of warm, but nowhere near as warm as Rams fans would like.
eagle33
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium