Gameday: BC @ NIU 9:30 pm CBSSN

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Gameday: BC @ NIU 9:30 pm CBSSN

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Brown is comically inaccurate. He's basically Towles. I don't see that much potential. Hilliman is horrendus. But the thing that kills me is that it seems like we have 4 plays (not including the inverse of the same play).

If you watched Towles and Brown and found any similarity you should probably start watching rugby or cricket
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:16 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:Brown is comically inaccurate. He's basically Towles. I don't see that much potential. Hilliman is horrendus. But the thing that kills me is that it seems like we have 4 plays (not including the inverse of the same play).

If you watched Towles and Brown and found any similarity you should probably start watching rugby or cricket

Similarities...good running ability (although Brown is shiftier), strong arm, good deep ball, poor decision making, poor accuracy, long release. Hoping he can improve accuracy.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:35 am

flakes {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Similarities...good running ability (although Brown is shiftier), strong arm, good deep ball, poor decision making, poor accuracy, long release. Hoping he can improve accuracy.

No.

eep is right, Brown is better than Towles. Last night he reminded me of a more mobile Rettig. Good arm, decent accuracy, needs work on progressions and decision making.

If he's the guy, I'm hoping Daz still has some of the playbook from the Tyler Murphy days. If Brown can have Tyler Murphy legs with a Chase Rettig arm, he can really be an asset... eventually.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 am

Everyone here that wants to bail on a RS freshman for shaky decision making and a poor completion rate in his first start is out of their minds.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:53 am

hansen {l Wrote}:1. I'm hoping Daz and company kept the playbook really vanilla because I wasn't too thrilled with the playcalling on offense.

Strongly disagree. They called that draw play out of the offset I too often, otherwise I was happy with the way they mixed things up.

A lot of you are underestimating how shitty the O-line was & how that affected how the plays unfolded.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:32 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Another season with a talented, but untested QB who stares down receivers, ignores open options, and throws into double coverage. ACC defenses are going to destroy Brown.

You realize the alternative to Brown is Wade, right? When did Wade fill any of the above? When he was a 4-star recruit because he was throwing to Chris Godwin? This seems to again be a situation where a recruit's star ranking misleads the fanbase.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 pm

Positives from our 3 point victory over a MAC team:
1. Kobay White looked promising. Not sure why he was redshirted.
B. Perfect on FGs & PATs.
III. Names on the back of the shirts, and none of that "Jr" "III" or God-forbid "Sr" garbage.
That is about it.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Another season with a talented, but untested QB who stares down receivers, ignores open options, and throws into double coverage. ACC defenses are going to destroy Brown.

You realize the alternative to Brown is Wade, right? When did Wade fill any of the above? When he was a 4-star recruit because he was throwing to Chris Godwin? This seems to again be a situation where a recruit's star ranking misleads the fanbase.

Based purely on the Spring game, Wade looked more poised, more accurate on short and intermediate throws and had better decision making. Brown has the better legs, better deep ball, and -- according to the staff -- has "it."

I'm ok with Brown being the guy. I do think we'll see more growing pains and my overly optimistic 9-3 preseason prediction will now be replaced by an overly optimistic 7-5 prediction, but by all accounts Brown is the future. And if that's the case and he's within striking distance of Wade, fuck it, let's go!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Positives from our 3 point victory over a MAC team:
III. Names on the back of the shirts, and none of that "Jr" "III" or God-forbid "Sr" garbage.
That is about it.

Four: No Daz blunders.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:32 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Everyone here that wants to bail on a RS freshman for shaky decision making and a poor completion rate in his first start is out of their minds.

It wouldnt be a gameday thread if the sky didnt fall and there wasnt any :slapfights.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby garf112 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Everyone here that wants to bail on a RS freshman for shaky decision making and a poor completion rate in his first start is out of their minds.

Completion rate was 61%. Yards per attempt was super low.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:25 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Based purely on the Spring game, Wade looked more poised, more accurate on short and intermediate throws and had better decision making. Brown has the better legs, better deep ball, and -- according to the staff -- has "it."

Spring Game heros are pretty much always fools gold (see: Nate Funk, Jerome Ledbetter).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Brown was fine. This is coming from someone that originally wanted Wade to start. After seeing Brown play though I am comfortable that starting him was probably the right decision.

Hilliman looked bad. Although the OL didn't do him any favors, I don't think he broke a single tackle. AJ Dillon needs to be the #1 RB.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:13 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Hilliman should be 3rd on the RB depth chart. OL needs to put in some work this week.

Brown is not terrible. He has the best tools of any QB we have had in long long time. You can make a valid point that there should be an upperclassmen starting to allow him to develop more but saying that he is terrible is fucking dumb.

Would you prefer a polite version for that performance, like raw or unpolished? Because there were some awful decisions and throws last night.

I'll concede he's talented. He just shouldn't be the QB now. And if Wade is really worse despite spring games to the contrary then the recruiting sucks. Maybe wade doesn't have it. But it is tough to get excited about the QB play

Stats backup Teddy's point...

Last night we averaged 4.5 yards per pass attempt.
4.5 yards per pass attempt would rank us dead last (128) in the NCAA every year from 2010 thru 2016.
You have to go back to 2009 to find a team that averaged less than 4.5 yards per attempt.

Projected #1 overall NFL Draft Pick (Josh Allen) just finished the day 23-40 for 174 yards (4.35 yards per attempt). Just sayin...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... draft-buzz
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:11 pm

As much as I wear the rose colored glasses, Daz still needs to go. No excuse not to be that team by 10. I already bought tix to wake, might be our last chance to win an ACC have in awhile.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

I'm bailing on the decision to start him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 pm

They got outgained by NIU! Only 2 TD's again from the Dazzler offense. It makes no difference who the QB is, this offense sucks.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Hilliman should be 3rd on the RB depth chart. OL needs to put in some work this week.

Brown is not terrible. He has the best tools of any QB we have had in long long time. You can make a valid point that there should be an upperclassmen starting to allow him to develop more but saying that he is terrible is fucking dumb.

Would you prefer a polite version for that performance, like raw or unpolished? Because there were some awful decisions and throws last night.

I'll concede he's talented. He just shouldn't be the QB now. And if Wade is really worse despite spring games to the contrary then the recruiting sucks.

:chewbanka :popcorn
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Uptown Eagle on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:43 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Positives from our 3 point victory over a MAC team:
That is about it.

Four: No Daz blunders.

I thought running the up-tempo on the last drive was a Daz blunder. If they wan't to stop the opposing defense from making substitutions, that's fine. Get the play in fast and have the offense line up and wind down the play clock. But BC was snapping the ball in seconds once they were already in FG range with 3 minutes left and 3 TO's. They should have milked more clock and/or forced NIU to burn their TO's.

But I do agree that the time management at the end of the 1st half was positive, as was going for it on the 4th down.
Uptown Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby basselope on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:44 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
basselope {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'll concede he's talented. He just shouldn't be the QB now. And if Wade is really worse despite spring games to the contrary then the recruiting sucks. Maybe wade doesn't have it. But it is tough to get excited about the QB play

Stats backup Teddy's point...

Last night we averaged 4.5 yards per pass attempt.
4.5 yards per pass attempt would rank us dead last (128) in the NCAA every year from 2010 thru 2016.
You have to go back to 2009 to find a team that averaged less than 4.5 yards per attempt.

Projected #1 overall NFL Draft Pick (Josh Allen) just finished the day 23-40 for 174 yards (4.35 yards per attempt). Just sayin...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... draft-buzz

and his team lost 24-3

Not arguing #13 does not have talent, anyone can see that.
but being a good QB is like being a good golfer as they need to be able to do everything well & be consistently accurate.

Right now, #13 can mash a drive 300 yards down the center of the fairway, but he can't putt worth a shit, can't read greens and can only hit irons from a perfect lie.
He would come in handy in a scramble but ain't picking him for 2 man best ball.
Last edited by basselope on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:20 am

Wasn't Lazard that next great 5th year transfer that y'all told me would make the OL come alive? Wasn't he lifted during the game? Great!
I was really surprised how poorly we played on the edges of the d line...not a good omen, as O line still sucks apparently, and defense has dropped several notches. Still expecting any old bowl game,since under Addazio, that's the measure of success?
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:25 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:Wasn't Lazard that next great 5th year transfer that y'all told me would make the OL come alive? Wasn't he lifted during the game? Great!
I was really surprised how poorly we played on the edges of the d line...not a good omen, as O line still sucks apparently, and defense has dropped several notches. Still expecting any old bowl game,since under Addazio, that's the measure of success?

Unless they figure out how to block, similar to 2 years ago, the entire discussion about the QB, RBs or WRs is pointless. You can't execute an offense when as soon as the RB gets the ball he gets crushed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:Wasn't Lazard that next great 5th year transfer that y'all told me would make the OL come alive? Wasn't he lifted during the game? Great!

Unless they figure out how to block, similar to 2 years ago, the entire discussion about the QB, RBs or WRs is pointless. You can't execute an offense when as soon as the RB gets the ball he gets crushed.

This line will never have success w/o Addazio/Loeffler giving them help on the playcalling side. The predictability/stacked boxes cant be blocked. They have to develop outlets for Brown, with these tight ends that we hear so much about, over the middle of the field to preoccupy LB's/unclog the box and give him a safety valve other than dumping to Hilliman for no gain.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:05 pm

It's not the players, it's the coaches. It's only going to get worse once teams get game film on BC. If you look at the offense production of our opponents you can easily see 0-8 in the ACC and 3-9 overall. Our defense is getting worse every year.

We all know Daz is a disaster, let's just get this over with and focus on getting Moorhead to replace him. I would love to see BC hire Don Brown back as D.C. Spend the money on good coaching and you will make it back at the gate.

15,000 empty seats times $50 per seat times 7 games = $5,250,000
3.25 million to Moorehead
2 million to Brown
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Don Brown was a HOT topic yesterday.

1. Michigan is never going to let BC outbid them on Brown if they want him to stay. He's not exactly failing there.
2. BC will never pay that much for a DC.
3. You're assuming the empty seats would be filled even with those guys on the staff.
4. What about all those corner seats? You should fill those too in your fantasyland post.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Don Brown ain't coming back, friends
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

BC better bring in some very good coaches or they will be lucky to sell 20,000 seats at $20 each. Football is a business and if you can't keep up salary wise then your destiny is permanent cellar dwellers. If you do not believe you can sell seats win or lose, keep Daz long term or at least until his contract is over.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Tubasteak is on twitter telling people to calm down because 14 years ago NIU upset a ranked Maryland.

Yeah it was a shitty supporting example but the point is going full Chicken Little after winning the first game of the season on the road at night is dumb. Shit happens in football.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:58 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This line will never have success w/o Addazio/Loeffler giving them help on the playcalling side. The predictability/stacked boxes cant be blocked. They have to develop outlets for Brown, with these tight ends that we hear so much about, over the middle of the field to preoccupy LB's/unclog the box and give him a safety valve other than dumping to Hilliman for no gain.

The throws to any TE not named Sweeney need to be eliminated. They're so slow that when they catch it in the flat it's a 1 yard gain.

This magical group of TEs looked like a bunch of slow plodding guys that I say are awful recruits every time we sign one of them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Daz is going to waste another year. Is anyone surprised? I imagine Jarmond will fight the board and try to replace him after this season, and that will be the moment that he realizes you can't change BC. Then he'll start working on his resume, and we''ll be back to square one.
BC923
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium