Gameday: BC @ NIU 9:30 pm CBSSN

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Gameday: BC @ NIU 9:30 pm CBSSN

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:54 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Daz is going to waste another year. Is anyone surprised? I imagine Jarmond will fight the board and try to replace him after this season, and that will be the moment that he realizes you can't change BC. Then he'll start working on his resume, and we''ll be back to square one.

Addazio is not going anywhere. And I'm guessing Jarmond knows it. I am further guessing that the BOT informed Jarmond of this before they made him the youngest AD in the Power-5. The only power Jarmond has regarding Addazio, is the power NOT to renew his contract. But then it will be Jarmond's responsibility to find a whole new coaching staff at the end of the (what?) 2019 season, if he doesn't renew.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:Wasn't Lazard that next great 5th year transfer that y'all told me would make the OL come alive? Wasn't he lifted during the game? Great!
I was really surprised how poorly we played on the edges of the d line...not a good omen, as O line still sucks apparently, and defense has dropped several notches. Still expecting any old bowl game,since under Addazio, that's the measure of success?

Unless they figure out how to block, similar to 2 years ago, the entire discussion about the QB, RBs or WRs is pointless. You can't execute an offense when as soon as the RB gets the ball he gets crushed.

This line will never have success w/o Addazio/Loeffler giving them help on the playcalling side. The predictability/stacked boxes cant be blocked. They have to develop outlets for Brown, with these tight ends that we hear so much about, over the middle of the field to preoccupy LB's/unclog the box and give him a safety valve other than dumping to Hilliman for no gain.

Our longest play was 23yards. Lack of big plays has been a hallmark of the Daz/Loeffler offense.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:43 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:Wasn't Lazard that next great 5th year transfer that y'all told me would make the OL come alive? Wasn't he lifted during the game? Great!
I was really surprised how poorly we played on the edges of the d line...not a good omen, as O line still sucks apparently, and defense has dropped several notches. Still expecting any old bowl game,since under Addazio, that's the measure of success?

Unless they figure out how to block, similar to 2 years ago, the entire discussion about the QB, RBs or WRs is pointless. You can't execute an offense when as soon as the RB gets the ball he gets crushed.

This line will never have success w/o Addazio/Loeffler giving them help on the playcalling side. The predictability/stacked boxes cant be blocked. They have to develop outlets for Brown, with these tight ends that we hear so much about, over the middle of the field to preoccupy LB's/unclog the box and give him a safety valve other than dumping to Hilliman for no gain.

The throws to any TE not named Sweeney need to be eliminated. They're so slow that when they catch it in the flat it's a 1 yard gain.

This magical group of TEs looked like a bunch of slow plodding guys that I say are awful recruits every time we sign one of them.

This is the thing, you really don't need much out of them. Just having them run short routes and sitting in the middle of the field as an outlet/option gives Brown something material other than a RB swing pass and makes the LB's honor them as a "threat". If they can turn and advance the ball that's great, but something has to be done to get LB's away from the LOS. The telegraphed 2 TE's only to block is going to draw a stacked box every time and from there its just a numbers game (which BC will lose).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:08 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The throws to any TE not named Sweeney need to be eliminated. They're so slow that when they catch it in the flat it's a 1 yard gain.

This magical group of TEs looked like a bunch of slow plodding guys that I say are awful recruits every time we sign one of them.

This is the thing, you really don't need much out of them. Just having them run short routes and sitting in the middle of the field as an outlet/option gives Brown something material other than a RB swing pass and makes the LB's honor them as a "threat". If they can turn and advance the ball that's great, but something has to be done to get LB's away from the LOS. The telegraphed 2 TE's only to block is going to draw a stacked box every time and from there its just a numbers game (which BC will lose).

They throw plenty to these statues off PA. They catch the ball in the flat and look like me trying to elude a D1 LB.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:11 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Our longest play was 23yards. Lack of big plays has been a hallmark of the Daz/Loeffler offense.

They left 120 yards on the field in 2 plays that any D1 player should be expected to execute. It also would've take Brown up to 8 YPA (YPA is a stupid stat but we'll use the metric anyway). If we won 37-20 and Brown threw for 320 this would be a different discussion.

I'm way more concerned about the OL/running game
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:So now you can't cut block down field? Football is becoming ridiculous in its rules changes designed to make faggety millenials feel safer playing what is an inherently unsafe sport. Also, Brown is not good.

So was this the correct call? One of you shutins please look this up.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby basselope on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:So now you can't cut block down field? Football is becoming ridiculous in its rules changes designed to make faggety millenials feel safer playing what is an inherently unsafe sport. Also, Brown is not good.

So was this the correct call? One of you shutins please look this up.

Yes, Correct call.
Rule has been in place since 2011 & modified this past season 2016.

9. Blocking Below the Waist (Rule 9-1-6) FR-89
Team A prior to a change of team possession:

1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside the tackle
box until they leave the tackle box or until the ball has left the tackle box: (a) players on
the line of scrimmage completely inside the tackle box and (b) stationary backs who are
at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of
the second lineman from the snapper.

2. Except as in paragraph 3 (below), players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while
the ball is still in the tackle box, and all players after the ball has left the tackle box, are
allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is directed from
the front. “From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between
“10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked.
3. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the
line through the original position of the ball at the snap until the ball carrier is clearly
beyond the neutral zone.
4. Once the ball has left the tackle box a player may not block below the waist toward
his own end line.”
Comments: Simplifies and clarifies the rule. Note that the “low-blocking zone” is no
longer defined, and everything is in reference to the tackle box. Also clarifies the rule
regarding the crackback block.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 160418.pdf
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby basselope on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:03 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

They left 120 yards on the field in 2 plays that any D1 player should be expected to execute. It also would've take Brown up to 8 YPA (YPA is a stupid stat but we'll use the metric anyway). If we won 37-20 and Brown threw for 320 this would be a different discussion.

Agree with you the line play is the biggest concern and we left plays on the field.
I hope we are not looking at Chase II - A strong armed FR QB running for his life.

I disagree with you on YPA & this listing supports that stance.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...att_career.htm

Above 7 yards we see a large number of current & future HOFer's.
Below 7 we only see 1 guy. Blanda who is in Canton for his kicking more than his QB play.

Looking at yards per pass is just looking at passing the same way as running.
What is a pass that goes incomplete? Nothing more that a rush that gained 0.0 yards and this take into account incompletions.

Our HS staff has a Calculus teacher on it, who sets up various stats and looks at the trends that have the most effect.
Yards per play attempt is one of the top.

Our goals are set at 5 yards per rush and 7.5 yards per pass.
When we achieve both of those we rarely lose.

In any case, BC won the only stat that truly matters and that is on the scoreboard.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:57 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Agree with you the line play is the biggest concern and we left plays on the field.
I hope we are not looking at Chase II - A strong armed FR QB running for his life.

Below 7 we only see 1 guy. Blanda who is in Canton for his kicking more than his QB play.

What is a pass that goes incomplete? Nothing more that a rush that gained 0.0 yards and this take into account incompletions.

Our HS staff has a Calculus teacher on it, who sets up various stats and looks at the trends that have the most effect.

In any case, BC won the only stat that truly matters and that is on the scoreboard.

He hits the 2 plays left on the field and it's 8 YPA.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:19 pm

The bomb was under thrown and easily stripped by a beaten guy that caught up to make the play. Assuming that completion is full retard.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
basselope {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He hits the 2 plays left on the field and it's 8 YPA.

You are both kinda right. YPA is a fine stat. But, like all averages, it can be distorted by outliers. A more meaningful stat might be the median gain per attempt or the YPA for the middle 50% (i.e. removing the Top 25 gains and losses). Such adjustment is not as needed as the sample size increases (over the course of the season or a career)... which accounts for why the stat is a useful tool looking at teams over seasons or a player over his entire career.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:24 am

Not to be a dick about this - but averaging is suppose to take in outliers. Otherwise you're just cherry picking numbers to get to a number that satisfies your arbitrary gut feeling on how things should be.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Maybe its too old school thinking, but once upon a time it was the rule of thumb that your Oline had to be stable and consistent and given time to gel and function as a unit. Disruptions to that consistency was a prescription for failure. Now, I guess so he can run a hurry up offense and run 80+ plays a game, the Dazzler says he's going to "roll 7 or 8 Oline men" throughout a game. Great. So when we experience the futile offensive output redux of the past 3 years, we will know why, despite whatever BS explanation Addazio trots out.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:knoll is an atrocious punter

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... rican-team

I was wrong on this, he's been very good since game 1
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy