Rename Yawkey Way (Herald)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Rename Yawkey Way (Herald)

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm

So the Boston Herald just posted some story about John Henry wanting to rename Yawkey Way because he was apparently a racist.

Some idiot who works for CSN New England, Kwani Lewis (also a BC alum) just tweeted "Your move @BostonCollege". I really hope BC doesn't get pulled into this asinine BS

https://twitter.com/bostonherald/status/898270893683740672
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Re: Rename Yawkey Way (Herald)

Postby BCHerbert on Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:46 pm

You're
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm

doug flutie threw his most famousest of passes to a white guy. i guess his statue is as good as gone too
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:12 pm

baseball board
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Your move Dana Farber.
http://www.dana-farber.org/About-Us/Yawkey-Center.aspx

Your move Swedish Academy for continuing to honor the Father of Modern Warfare who became the wealthiest arms dealer of his time.

Your move Islam for honoring a slave owner who practiced polygamy and pedaphilia.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm

lock up your linkedin accounts... nickedin is back with a bid gay fruit beer and a baseball board up his ass
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Changing the name of a public street is very different than changing the name of a building whose name bears the donors name. I don't think BC can remove Yawkey's name without returning the donation. I wonder how much money is left in the Yawkey Foundation. John Harrington is still running the foundation, but I have not heard that BC has received any money lately. The foundation has given millions to support inner city kids.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}: Kwani Lewis (also a BC alum) just tweeted "Your move @BostonCollege". I really hope BC doesn't get pulled into this asinine BS

https://twitter.com/bostonherald/status/898270893683740672

think she used to write for nagspuckruption

I'm sure there will be a die in of some sort in front of yawkey when the nerds get back to school
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Changing the name of a public street is very different than changing the name of a building whose name bears the donors name. I don't think BC can remove Yawkey's name without returning the donation.

I'm not a lawyer but. (1) only if the naming of the building was a condition of the gift; (b) a foundation cannot demand a benefit in exchange for a donation.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:28 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Changing the name of a public street is very different than changing the name of a building whose name bears the donors name. I don't think BC can remove Yawkey's name without returning the donation.

I'm not a lawyer but. (1) only if the naming of the building was a condition of the gift; (b) a foundation cannot demand a benefit in exchange for a donation.

any donation can either be general or can have caveats/restrictions. it's part of not-for-profit rules and regulations
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 am

Didn't the gift come from the Yawkey Foundation II? This foundation was established in 1982 by Jean Yawkey.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 am

Just wait until the nerds figure out St Ignatius never supported transgender bathrooms
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am

In a social media world where thoughts are as deep as 140 characters, it is not at all surprising that knee-jerk reaction dominates. Thoughtful analysis has been sacrificed at the alter of goldfish-like attention spans. It is impossible to defend white supremacists. But, it is possible to defend their right to speak without facing violence. It is impossible to defend slavery, but it is possible to memorialize the lives lost in the Civil War. And, it is possible to memorialize a family's altruistic ventures even if the patriarch held at one point views that would be considered racist in today's standard.**

Context (something completely lost on millennials) is what is needed to understand the differences between Malcolm Jenkins-Chris Long and Jackie Robinson-Pee Wee Reese.

At the end of the day, this us revisiting the civil unrest of the 60s again. I won't be surprised to see a series of assassinations to follow. There is a line in the Matrix... "as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery." An off-shoot of this idea is... as a society, Americans define their reality through suffering and misery of their enemy. Throughout our history, we have built up foes (be it real or imagined) for which we can compare ourselves. In a post-Soviet reality, America has struggled coming up with another global rival. We attempted to make it Al Qaeda and ISIS, but that was too amorphous and ultimately too small to be taken seriously. More recently, the Dems have tried to make it Russia again and Trump has tried to make it Islam. Both are ill-fitting. China is likely to be the one who will rise as our global nemesis. However, until then, our pugnacious nature has turned itself inward. Instead of irrationally arming Osama Bin Laden so the Soviets can't take Afghanistan, we irrationally destroy communities by pitting one group of citizens against another because the second doesn't show the same level of outrage over every event happening on their smartphone screen.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

** I don't know anything about Tom Yawkey. I understand he has never spoken on black players in MLB (although other owners at the time were vocal both for and against). I also understand that there are folks that believe Ted Williams was the real influencer as to the Sawks slow integration (as upper management was continuously the first team to identify and workout players like Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays). Further, as much as John Henry would like to not acknowledge, Boston was not a welcoming city for segregation (a stigma that holds to this day (see, Adam Jones)). It is entirely possible that Yawkey waited for a time when Bostonians would accept a black player. This would certainly not be a heroic stance, but given the treatment of Jackie Robinson during his tryout or Bill Russell's experiences with Boston fans (Bill Russell only predated Pumpsie Green by a year) I'm not sure it is one that should necessarily brand his legacy as intolerant.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:30 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:You're

Fewer.

Best grammar Nazi ever.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:58 am

Yawkey was pretty much known to be overtly racist.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:00 am

Oh, and your silly speculation about Ted Williams is absolutely incorrect.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yawkey was pretty much known to be overtly racist.

He was an old white guy from Boston, are we surprised.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yawkey was pretty much known to be overtly racist.

He was an old white guy from Boston, are we surprised.

Yawkey was also pretty much known to have been from Detroit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm

I love when HJS prefaces something by saying he doesn't know a lot about a subject and then talks about that subject for several lines as if he's an expert.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:In a social media world where thoughts are as deep as 140 characters, it is not at all surprising that knee-jerk reaction dominates. Thoughtful analysis has been sacrificed at the alter of goldfish-like attention spans. It is impossible to defend white supremacists. But, it is possible to defend their right to speak without facing violence. It is impossible to defend slavery, but it is possible to memorialize the lives lost in the Civil War. And, it is possible to memorialize a family's altruistic ventures even if the patriarch held at one point views that would be considered racist in today's standard.**

Context (something completely lost on millennials) is what is needed to understand the differences between Malcolm Jenkins-Chris Long and Jackie Robinson-Pee Wee Reese.

At the end of the day, this us revisiting the civil unrest of the 60s again. I won't be surprised to see a series of assassinations to follow. There is a line in the Matrix... "as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery." An off-shoot of this idea is... as a society, Americans define their reality through suffering and misery of their enemy. Throughout our history, we have built up foes (be it real or imagined) for which we can compare ourselves. In a post-Soviet reality, America has struggled coming up with another global rival. We attempted to make it Al Qaeda and ISIS, but that was too amorphous and ultimately too small to be taken seriously. More recently, the Dems have tried to make it Russia again and Trump has tried to make it Islam. Both are ill-fitting. China is likely to be the one who will rise as our global nemesis. However, until then, our pugnacious nature has turned itself inward. Instead of irrationally arming Osama Bin Laden so the Soviets can't take Afghanistan, we irrationally destroy communities by pitting one group of citizens against another because the second doesn't show the same level of outrage over every event happening on their smartphone screen.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization."

** I don't know anything about Tom Yawkey. I understand he has never spoken on black players in MLB (although other owners at the time were vocal both for and against). I also understand that there are folks that believe Ted Williams was the real influencer as to the Sawks slow integration (as upper management was continuously the first team to identify and workout players like Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays). Further, as much as John Henry would like to not acknowledge, Boston was not a welcoming city for segregation (a stigma that holds to this day (see, Adam Jones)). It is entirely possible that Yawkey waited for a time when Bostonians would accept a black player. This would certainly not be a heroic stance, but given the treatment of Jackie Robinson during his tryout or Bill Russell's experiences with Boston fans (Bill Russell only predated Pumpsie Green by a year) I'm not sure it is one that should necessarily brand his legacy as intolerant.

I can't be the only one who read HJS' spiel in Hugo Weaving's Agent Smith voice.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:23 am

Let me just say that I don't care about this. It's 3:22 am and I'm pooping. Fin.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:58 am

I just think this whole thing is stupid. History is history. Some is good, some is bad. Don't change it or people will never learn from the past.
What's next, burning all the history books??
People are out. of. control.
(end rant)
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 am

PS - For all those in Boston today, be careful...lots of protests today.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium