2017 Pre-Season

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Pre-Season

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They have plenty of talent. HJS is right. People blaming talent are morons and making excuses. Not even Daz is doing that.

yet
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They have plenty of talent. HJS is right. People blaming talent are morons and making excuses. Not even Daz is doing that.

yet

I think Jags with his then-assistants (Logan), would go 9-3 with this talent against this schedule. And... that involves our half of the conference containing the reigning National Champ, reigning Heisman winner and the team (FSU) I think will represent the ACC in the playoffs.

People are too quick to conflate Daz's Wake-it-up game management with his roster building. The talent on this team is very good. Any shortcomings this year are a reflection of Daz's strategic ineptitude.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Did they do these practice reports last year?
http://www.bceagles.com/news/2017/8/8/f ... -no-8.aspx

We are all out of whack right now because we started a week earlier, so it feels like this should be the first scrimmage but it's really the second scrimmage. Because this is the second week, this is that grinding period of time where all of a sudden you have the camp legs and it's who's got a groin, who's got a hamstring, who's got this, who's got that. We're in that mode already

we'll probably hear this about nine million times the rest of the preseason camp
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:To be fair to Daz, I feel that this team is on pretty solid footing talent-wise. I think we have ACC-level talent and depth at pretty much every position. He deserves credit for rehabilitating the roster. Of course, I fully expect him to mismanage the hell out of this thing. But, kudos for establishing a team that you can legitimately feel optimistic about.

I mean, if your idea of "solid footing" is a group of guys that will inevitably duke it out with Wake & Syracuse every year for the cellar in the Atlantic then...sure?

The above is pretty dumb and narrow minded.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

I think Jags with his then-assistants (Logan), would go 9-3 with this talent against this schedule. And... that involves our half of the conference containing the reigning National Champ, reigning Heisman winner and the team (FSU) I think will represent the ACC in the playoffs.

People are too quick to conflate Daz's Wake-it-up game management with his roster building. The talent on this team is very good. Any shortcomings this year are a reflection of Daz's strategic ineptitude.

I think we are going to be really good this year. I'm a little worried about the LBs and the QB situation is a question mark but this is the most talent we've had I think since Daz has been here. We will be in all our games this year.. I don't think we will get rocketshipped in any of them. Depending on injuries I could see us having as little as two or three losses but no more than five or six in the regular season.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

I think we are going to be really good this year. I'm a little worried about the LBs and the QB situation is a question mark but this is the most talent we've had I think since Daz has been here. We will be in all our games this year.. I don't think we will get rocketshipped in any of them. Depending on injuries I could see us having as little as two or three losses but no more than five or six in the regular season.

This is the most talent since the first season of Spaz. I still think you are a bit optimistic. I think they will get beat soundly once, and lose three games automatically. And Fuente concerns me. 8-4, maybe 7-5 with a Daz blunder, and I would be content.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:52 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

you're high on teenager murder dust
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:54 am

When you guys say 'plenty of talent,' what do you mean? If you mean 'to compete for the Atlantic Division' then I am going to wholeheartedly disagree. We have plenty of talent to get to 6-7 wins for sure, but the talent gap between us and FSU and Clemson is astonishing.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

We are very strong at DE, CB & RB;
I am optimistic about the OL, TE, SS/FS & WRs
I am worried about QB, DT and depth at LB
I am pessimistic about the HC's in-game decision making and clock management.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am

The talent is inconsequential if the QB play does not improve from what it has been the past two years.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:58 am

flakes {l Wrote}:

When you guys say 'plenty of talent,' what do you mean? If you mean 'to compete for the Atlantic Division' then I am going to wholeheartedly disagree. We have plenty of talent to get to 6-7 wins for sure, but the talent gap between us and FSU and Clemson is astonishing.

I don't agree with this at all. BC has been comparable to those teams on defense the past few years, and last years' blowouts were an aberration when you look at the historical trend of the Daz teams versus those programs. On offense, the skill positions have been greatly upgraded in speed and ability. BC has been not competitive the past two seasons because of only two positions, OL and QB.

We'll see if they have fixed the former and found the latter. If not, yes, they are at best a 6 win team. But they are the two most important positions on the field.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:48 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The talent is inconsequential if the QB play does not improve from what it has been the past two years.

and the OL

IRregardless of the talent he brings in, he's so bad in game (friendly reminder on 4th and a half yard at the 18 he kicked a fg in ireland when it was raining and the field was crap) that he's got a ceiling of about 8 RS wins. as competitive as we have been at times against the big 3 in his tenure, he is 0-11 versus them
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 am

flakes {l Wrote}:

When you guys say 'plenty of talent,' what do you mean? If you mean 'to compete for the Atlantic Division' then I am going to wholeheartedly disagree. We have plenty of talent to get to 6-7 wins for sure, but the talent gap between us 90% of Power 5 teams and FSU and Clemson is astonishing.

Fixed
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:

When you guys say 'plenty of talent,' what do you mean? If you mean 'to compete for the Atlantic Division' then I am going to wholeheartedly disagree. We have plenty of talent to get to 6-7 wins for sure, but the talent gap between us 90% of Power 5 teams and FSU and Clemson is astonishing.

Fixed

It's the above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:57 pm

And even that talent gap can be overcome in one game, just not with this coaching staff.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And even that talent gap can be overcome in one game, just not with this coaching staff.

Sort of. The talent gap between BC and Clemson/FSU is absolutely massive. Short of Landry and a few OL, none of our players would get anywhere near the 2-deep at those schools at the moment.

It's cyclical though they'll have some crappy years here eventually
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:28 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The talent is inconsequential if the QB play does not improve from what it has been the past two years.

and the OL

IRregardless of the talent he brings in, he's so bad in game (friendly reminder on 4th and a half yard at the 18 he kicked a fg in ireland when it was raining and the field was crap) that he's got a ceiling of about 8 RS wins. as competitive as we have been at times against the big 3 in his tenure, he is 0-11 versus them

With 4 guaranteed losses on the schedule, there's just no chance he runs the table in the rest of the games, leaving us at some version of 7-5 or 6-6.

VT and Lville should not be guaranteed losses, but this staff doesn't play aggressive enough football to beat them
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:48 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

I think we are going to be really good this year. I'm a little worried about the LBs and the QB situation is a question mark but this is the most talent we've had I think since Daz has been here. We will be in all our games this year.. I don't think we will get rocketshipped in any of them.

okay so..... 49-0 vs vpi..... yeah, that won't happen this year, right? RIGHT?!?!

hansen {l Wrote}:Depending on injuries I could see us having as little as two or three losses but no more than five or six in the regular season.

I some how get the impression that if Alabama or Ohio State were ravaged by injuries, they still go.... 10-2.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

+5 for the man who has me bozo filtered
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:52 pm

+5
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And even that talent gap can be overcome in one game, just not with this coaching staff.

Sort of. The talent gap between BC and Clemson/FSU is absolutely massive. Short of Landry and a few OL, none of our players would get anywhere near the 2-deep at those schools at the moment.

lowered expectations

here we are, now HOPING for off-seasons for BC's opponents in order for BC to even stand a chance in a game vs these teams. This is what happens when you ignore reality...

In reality, with Spaz's recruits, Addazio....
  • had a Heisman finalist
  • went 2-0 vs vpi
  • almost beat F$U in Florida and was leading vs eventual-national-champion-F$U for the majority of the first half the first year
  • split with USC and gave us the bitching and moaning of the gold-digging "Queen Bee"

There was "some" glory with Daz. But not for a while. In reality, since Spaz's recruits have been gone, Addazio....
  • loses to 4 ACC teams 24-202, a year they win a bullshit bowl
  • lost 49-0 to vpi
  • went 0-8 vs the ACC
  • couldn't recruit a QB that could complete a downfield pass
  • has us rooting for seasons where Clemson, Louisville, F$U, or vpi are "down"

And yet, here we are signing the same old, same old, these recruits are sooooooo great! This could be different! it really could! Yeah sure, okay. :popcorn
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

lowered expectations

here we are, now HOPING for off-seasons for BC's opponents in order for BC to even stand a chance in a game vs these teams. This is what happens when you ignore reality...

• had a Heisman finalist
  • went 2-0 vs vpi
  • almost beat F$U in Florida and was leading vs eventual-national-champion-F$U for the majority of the first half the first year
  • split with USC and gave us the bitching and moaning of the gold-digging "Queen Bee"

There was "some" glory with Daz. But not for a while. In reality, since Spaz's recruits have been gone, Addazio....
  • lost 49-0 to vpi
  • went 0-8 vs the ACC

And yet, here we are signing the same old, same old, these recruits are sooooooo great! This could be different! it really could! Yeah sure, okay. :popcorn

You do see the beatdowns Clemson and FSU also drop on every other team in the country correct?

We aren't beating those schools consistently IRREGARDLESS of coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

lowered expectations

• had a Heisman finalist
  • went 2-0 vs vpi

• lost 49-0 to vpi
  • went 0-8 vs the ACC

You do see the beatdowns Clemson and FSU also drop on every other team in the country correct?

Every other team? When did PITTSBURGH all of a sudden... become an elite team?

Great, Clemson and F$U are recruiting at the Alabama level. Fantastic for them. Sux for BC, right? Wrong. You want to be the team playing in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country. People used to look at the ACC as a joke. Not anymore.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:33 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

yet

I laughed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:23 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

lowered expectations

• had a Heisman finalist
  • went 2-0 vs vpi

• lost 49-0 to vpi
  • went 0-8 vs the ACC

Every other team? When did PITTSBURGH all of a sudden... become an elite team?

Great, Clemson and F$U are recruiting at the Alabama level. Fantastic for them. Sux for BC, right? Wrong. You want to be the team playing in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country. People used to look at the ACC as a joke. Not anymore.

Ugh someone else can pick this up here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 am

or you can add him to foe once you consider the next useful/insightful/entertaining post will be his first and that reading and responding to him just pulls you into his "gag"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 am

http://bceagles.com/news/2017/8/9/footb ... -no-9.aspx

The first Boston College Football Radio Show with Steve Addazio returns Monday, August 28 at 7 p.m. at Jake N Joes in Waltham. The voice of the Eagles, Jon Meterparel, hosts the show along with former BC standout Pete Cronan. The full list of show dates will be announced at a later date.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:11 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Scrimmage notes today say there is a former BC soccer player on roster now, Max Schulze-Geisthovel.

http://www.bceagles.com/news/2017/8/5/football-preseason-practice-report-no-6.aspx

It's about time. I mean, we've been waiting for a soccer player to come onto the football roster for the past like 5 years with all the kicking problems. I'll bet this kid wins the job eventually and does well.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://bceagles.com/news/2017/8/9/football-preseason-practice-report-no-9.aspx

The first Boston College Football Radio Show with Steve Addazio returns Monday, August 28 at 7 p.m. at Jake N Joes in Waltham. The voice of the Eagles, Jon Meterparel, hosts the show along with former BC standout Pete Cronan. The full list of show dates will be announced at a later date.

:chewbanka

For when the stifling humidity at Alumni dehydrates Daz...
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Ugh someone else can pick this up here

No thanks.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext