Pete Frates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Pete Frates

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 am

JUST KIDDING.

Mike Barnicle has always been a hack.

Good lookin out, Pete
Last edited by b0mberMan on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: RIP Pete Frates

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 am

Or maybe not. BC baseball saying he's in he hospital.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: Pete Frates

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 am

Of all the fucking people, it had to be Mike Barnicle. I thought it was a story from The Onion at first. This is hours after he is commenting about the "fake news" issue with Trump. What a damn putz.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 am

I had a bad feeling in my stomach as I opened this thread. Good to see it is a false alarm.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm

hilarious response to chaz and his mentor

https://twitter.com/PeteFrates3/status/ ... 4190919680
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 am

heh - chaz is a "major douchebag" among the island of misfit posters for quoting what his former love master reported publicly

http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2017/07/ru ... to-bc.html

of course, all chaz did was report what mikey b tweeted out to the world, so i'm not sure how that's a "joke" but i've stopped trying to figure "those people" out. i just know i would not be a good "fit" among them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:34 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:heh - chaz is a "major douchebag" among the island of misfit posters for quoting what his former love master reported publicly

of course, all chaz did was report what mikey b tweeted out to the world, so i'm not sure how that's a "joke" but i've stopped trying to figure "those people" out. i just know i would not be a good "fit" among them

those comments are insane-o.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:heh - chaz is a "major douchebag" among the island of misfit posters for quoting what his former love master reported publicly

those comments are insane-o.

Maybe its time for ATL to shut down his comments section? Jeezus
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Los on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Per @BostonCollege...

The Frates family announces with great sadness the loss of Pete Frates ’07, who has passed away after his courageous and public battle with ALS. Read the Frates Family statement: https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/alumni/frates-family-statement.html
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:03 pm

ah shit thats awful news
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:31 pm

R.I.P. Pete :(
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:41 am

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:28 pm

crap on bc all you want, much of it's deserved, but they do stuff like this incredibly well

fr tony is outstanding
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Los on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Pete's Dad nailed the eulogy.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Buckley: Pete Frates has earned a permanent place in the pantheon of Boston sports

By Steve Buckley Dec 11, 2019 6
A few weeks ago Nancy Frates posted a brief video on Facebook from the 2011 Intercity Baseball League banquet, which was held at the old Montvale Plaza in Stoneham. Her son, Pete Frates, had been named Most Valuable Player of this much-respected amateur baseball circuit, and the video clip shows him making his way to the podium to collect his hardware.

This was the night I met Pete Frates. It was also several months before that day when Dr. Stewart Rutcove sat down with Pete and his family and said, “I don’t know how to tell a 27-year-old guy this, Pete … you have ALS.”

On the night of that banquet, then, we were seeing Pete at his best, full speed ahead. And as I watched the video a few weeks ago, it reminded me that Pete was always precise and thoughtful about his appearance, careful that the clothes worked well, that every hair was in place. It was a practice he continued even after his diagnosis, and after the ravages of ALS had reduced him to spending the last several years of his too-short life in a wheelchair, with caregivers guiding him through each day.

If you’re going to be the world’s best-known ALS fighter, I’m guessing Pete reasoned, you better look the part. But as if we needed yet another reminder of how hard he worked, especially in terms of summoning the mental and spiritual energy to pursue his cause at a time when his physicality was slowly being stolen from him, please consider a text exchange that took place in September 2017 between Pete and his close friend Mike Gambino, the baseball coach at Boston College.

During the exchange, which Mike shared with me Monday night after long and careful consideration, Pete texts, “just wanted to hold Lou.”

Pete was referring to his daughter Lucy, who would have been 3 years old at the time.

This is heartbreaking.

Yes, we always marveled at Pete’s strength, and his commitment to fighting ALS. But he fooled us a little, because we always saw him at his very best — the clothes, yes, but also the demeanor. He never complained, and he never retreated from the public stage unless compelled to do so because of the latest health crisis. But in that one text — “just wanted to hold Lou.” — we are provided a jarring reminder of things Pete could no longer do that we all take for granted.

A walk along the beach with a loved one. Kissing your mom. Meeting up with old college buddies and delivering and receiving those broey, time-honored hugs and back slaps.

Picking up your little daughter and holding her, swinging her in the air, making goofy dad noises that kids remember.

To think about it in those terms, it’s a wonder, a miracle really, that Pete didn’t shut it down years ago. And yet he kept on keeping on, as did his family. Damn, I spoke with Pete’s dad, John, just over a week ago and, while it was apparent his son’s condition had reached the point where we were all waiting for that sad, final announcement, the old man still spoke with exuberance.

And think about it: Just as Pete probably never stopping longing to sweep Lucy up from the floor and hoist her into the sky, Dad Frates must have been aching to grab Pete and his other kids, Andrew and Jennifer, and Nancy, and head to some local haunt for burgers and beers.

It’s that Pete couldn’t do the simple things anymore that make his significant contributions all the more mind-blowing. And while this generation won’t forget Pete Frates, it’s vital that future generations are taught who he was, what he meant, and, hopefully, what he’ll always mean.

How will we make that happen? Word of mouth, for one thing. That Pete lived long enough for Lucy to acquire lasting memories of her dad means she’ll always be a wealth of information and anecdotes. Given the family she’s from, I suspect she’ll be up to the task.

Social media will help, too. Googling “Pete Frates” will forever be a portal to greatness. And if you travel to Boston College or Pete’s hometown of Beverly, you’ll see his good name attached to parks and buildings.

Along those lines, perhaps we can do one thing more to help, and this is where the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots come in. Boston’s pro sports teams were always wonderful to Pete, from the ownership level to the player level and everywhere in between. And that “everywhere in between” part is no throwaway line: John Welch, a longtime security supervisor at Fenway Park, loved talking about what an honor it was to meet Pete Frates that time he was invited to the old ballpark to throw out a first pitch. Welchie, a big, lovable bear of a guy, would later contract ALS himself; a week from Saturday will be the first anniversary of his death.

Perhaps one of the Boston teams, perhaps all of them, could find a place to display Pete’s beloved No. 3. I’m not necessarily talking here about actually retiring the number, and, anyway, it’s already been retired by the Celtics (Dennis Johnson) and Bruins (Lionel Hitchman). But maybe place Pete’s No. 3 somewhere, but without a long biography, maybe without even a name, thus leaving it to the old folks to explain to the younger folks what it means.

The challenge for the old folks won’t be doing it. It will be figuring out where to begin, such was Pete’s greatness.

(Photo: Matthew J. Lee / The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME
Steve Buckley is a Senior Writer for The Athletic Boston. He was previously a sports columnist for the Boston Herald for nearly 24 years, and prior to that he was the Boston columnist for the National Sports Daily and a contributor on ESPN2. Author, “Wicked Good Year.” Follow Steve on Twitter @BuckinBoston.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:57 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:55 pm

Pete’s dad hit it out of the fucking park. I marvel at Pete’s family.

Also Fr. Tony Penna was terrific. BC is so lucky to have him.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium