Welcome aboard, Martin Jarmond

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Welcome aboard, Martin Jarmond

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Jarmond is young and a College Sports insider. If you think he is going to blow it all up or rock the boat, you are fooling yourself. He's here to raise money and look good so that the next time Ohio State or some other mega school has an opening, they hire him. Would you really expect him to say "Addazio is an idiot and I am going to fire him the first chance I get"? In private conversations with the larger donors, he has implied raised expectations for JC and Addazio, but in a big meeting like this, he can't shoot his mouth off.

He didn't have to prop up Jimmy Mac the way he did.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:good time, make no mistake he's a fundraiser through and through. he also understands he needs to be, especially w leahyhoo etc

talked about enhancements that have happened first 7 months he's been here (indoor facility, brighton fields, beer, fueling station, academic support for athletes, working to reconnect w former athletes)

gave general sotu on sports focusing on the revenue ones. said something along the lines of 'you're either selling hope or wins and we understand w 2 of 3 revenue sports it's hope right now' (mocked the 'trust the process' line).
basketball: great home record, need to get it going on road. 4 wins in conf which is more than previous 2 years. mentioned the recruiting class coming in and jairus by name which surprised me and went on depth of his accolades.
football: good momentum at the back end of the year, just wrapped up recruiting, recruiting needs to be life blood of any program but esp fb
hockey: first place in HE but very young team (no seniors) hope they can make a run into march and L/T have the team augmented by another exciting class

1q was about why jimmy mac didn't recruit some point guard from iona prep who is playing for uva?
maybe the h00ps w31rd0z can chime in on the circumstances. jarmond pivoted to 'because someone is verbally committed to another place doens't mean we stop recruiting them.

2q was about lax, thought jarmond handled it well. said honestly it's not happening. spelled out financials of title 9. i need to focus on getting marquee programs to the level of excellence that school is on the academic side

someone brought up fb recruiting (specifically this class' ranking). admitted we'll never be top 10 but recruiting needs to be lifeblood.

students: need to get them back to wearing superfan shirts. working to get logo removed cause apparently undergrads aren't wearing in fear of getting caught drinking (not sure how much i believe that but whatever works). free food, rewards for various on field/court performance (team scores X you get free tacos)

quesiton about boston fans. said sure we'll work with non bc fans in boston but we really need to work on getting bc people back to alumni / conte and that's my primary focus

might've missed some things but if any questions i'll chime in. good event.

That is such a bizarre question on more than one level
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:48 pm

Women's Soccer coach fired. I believe this guy (who was a very odd choice) and Hafley were Marty's only two coaching hires at BC?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:22 pm

https://bceagles.com/news/2020/5/19/eag ... you-martin
It was most obvious in his coaching hires, all of whom displayed clear love and passion for student-athletes. The public hires of coaches like Joanna Bernabei-McNamee and Jason Kennedy stood out for immediate success, and hiring Jason Lowe pivoted women's soccer into a new era. His last hire brought Jeff Hafley to the football program, and the tantalizing sight of Martin Jarmond and his new coach at the press conference left star-laden images in the dreams of every Boston College fan.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:16 pm

I know this is a stupid question, but I want to ask it anyway. Did folks inside BC really feel Jarmond was "an energetic trailblazer" who "helped surge" BC back into "the elite conversation in the ACC" and "zinged" the national media with access and combined "into perfect alignment" academics and athletic success? OK, set aside the embarssingly over the top gushing from BC over someone who left for another job - did insiders really think he was excellent?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:https://bceagles.com/news/2020/5/19/eagles-unlimited-thank-you-martin
It was most obvious in his coaching hires, all of whom displayed clear love and passion for student-athletes. The public hires of coaches like Joanna Bernabei-McNamee and Jason Kennedy stood out for immediate success, and hiring Jason Lowe pivoted women's soccer into a new era. His last hire brought Jeff Hafley to the football program, and the tantalizing sight of Martin Jarmond and his new coach at the press conference left star-laden images in the dreams of every Boston College fan.

Didn't know about volleyball but forgot about nag hoops.
Interesting that he hired 2 men for 3 of his women's sports hires.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:47 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:I know this is a stupid question, but I want to ask it anyway. Did folks inside BC really feel Jarmond was "an energetic trailblazer" who "helped surge" BC back into "the elite conversation in the ACC" and "zinged" the national media with access and combined "into perfect alignment" academics and athletic success? OK, set aside the embarssingly over the top gushing from BC over someone who left for another job - did insiders really think he was excellent?

"an energetic trailblazer" - Yes, this really isn't debatable.
"helped surge" BC back into "the elite conversation in the ACC" - huh? In what sport? As has been discussed on here before, he wanted to moveon without having to make football and/or basketball hires. Kraft was appalled at the state of the basketball program when he got here.
"zinged" the national media - not sure what this means but he was very good with the media.

Anyway, he was pretty upfront from the beginning that BC was not his "dream" job and left on good terms.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:41 am

wasn't he the one that said we couldn't fire jimmy mac because of the china virus but had no problem leaving his job a couple of months later?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:49 pm

I think we should definitely dwell on the past, it was oh so successful.

Who gives a rats ass?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think we should definitely dwell on the past, it was oh so successful.

Who gives a rats ass?

You can tell BC must be winning again because teddy is acting like a total baby maker again. I’m totally here for it.

Does this mean Thursday night drunken rants are back in play? We are so fucking back
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think we should definitely dwell on the past, it was oh so successful.

Who gives a rats ass?

You can tell BC must be winning again because teddy is acting like a total baby maker again. I’m totally here for it.

Does this mean Thursday night drunken rants are back in play? We are so fucking back

WWII is more relevant than my BC rants, temporally
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:58 pm

Marty is getting big time roasted by the UCLA folks right now. They all want Chip Kelly fired. What I hear is that: a) the donors do not like him, and b) they have impression he wants the Ohio State job (which is open). If he does get to jump to the Ohio State job, I guess all clear for him. But if he doesn't, he has a lot of damage control to do out here in So Cal.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:20 pm

Marty did not learn anything from his past. Hiring DeShaun Foster. He's still hiring the young guy that players get excited to play for (both of his hires at BC are now gone). While Alumni are left seething because the teams do not win. Let's see how this plays out. In some ways his commitment to hiring inexperienced coaches with "energy and juice" has to be respected.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:38 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:Marty did not learn anything from his past. Hiring DeShaun Foster. He's still hiring the young guy that players get excited to play for (both of his hires at BC are now gone). While Alumni are left seething because the teams do not win. Let's see how this plays out. In some ways his commitment to hiring inexperienced coaches with "energy and juice" has to be respected.

Marty is on the hot seat in Westwood. Deshaun Foster is exciting no one, and there is a lingering sense of disbelief that a head coach—even one that the money guys didn’t like—would bail on them for a coordinator position. Couple that with the fact that his fundraising prowess did not translate into a reduction of the massive deficit the athletic department still has. No one gives him any credit for the Big 10 move (and he deserves none), and as a chef’s kiss on top, UCLA basketball sucks this year and is completely overshadowed by USC which is intolerable for the fur coat and straw boater crowd (their version of whalepants).
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium