2017 Spring Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Spring Football

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:55 pm

The entire thing looked pretty good to me.

Hopefully it carries over
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:37 pm

I think Daz may stay out of things more this year. I know he's stubborn, but he also knows that there is a new AD who will obviously want to get his hands on the program, and will be looking for any reason to shitcan him. This will be even more likely if Leahy retires.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Does anyone know the story behind whoever #34 is on defense? He probably impressed me more than anyone else out there. He was running stride for stride with Smith and had a couple of great plays in the run game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They no huddled from time to time today. Don't think bowl game was a fluke.

The pace of the offense felt like it was A LOT quicker than last year, so I agree on that. Also, I think they threw the ball more often in the game relative to last year, so if those trends continue they could be onto something. I still think they need to throw the ball 30 times a game to actually put up points.

30 pass attempts sounds like a lot for a Daz team but it would still leave them roughly 80-90 in pass attempts for D1 teams. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-per-game

They're going to need to run more overall plays to get to 30 passing attempts.

If they're serious about the no-huddle I bet they could get there.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know the story behind whoever #34 is on defense? He probably impressed me more than anyone else out there. He was running stride for stride with Smith and had a couple of great plays in the run game.

Walk-on Timi Tijani. I noticed him in the 2016 Spring Game but he didn't play at all last season.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know the story behind whoever #34 is on defense? He probably impressed me more than anyone else out there. He was running stride for stride with Smith and had a couple of great plays in the run game.

Walk-on Timi Tijani. I noticed him in the 2016 Spring Game but he didn't play at all last season.

He stood out. Tall and a very good athlete
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

He needs to find his way into real games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

He stood out. Tall and a very good athlete

His uncle is Nate Funk.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 pm

A few thoughts...
Hilliman still hasn't regained his speed. He's a big back but won't do anything without an OL who paves his way to the second level. Luckily for him half of the starting OL didn't play. So, there is a chance he'll be more effective during the season.

I think Levy has the potential to be an excellent back. Really like his quickness and agility.

Wade looked fine. Seemed in control of the offense. Moves well. Throws a good short-to-intermediate ball. However, he seems to settle too quickly for the short pass. Which I fear will result in 4-yard outs on 3rd and 8.

Anthony Brown looks like he could be something special in a few years. Just a natural athlete who does everything effortlessly. If Wade transferred, we'd lose 8 games at a minimum and Daz would be fired. But, Brown getting game experience could result in him transforming into a generational player for the next coach.

If the OL doesn't suck... and if Wade can be adequate... this team really doesn't have any holes. Pretty solid starters and depth throughout.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:The line has a few injuries right now so tough to judge the running game. Baker definitely is not playing right now. Also we have that 5th year WVU transfer who isn't on the spring roster either.

Baker, Johnson, Schmal and Fish were out.

Fish is going to sit this year regardless of injury I assume ?

Despite the injuries to the OL, and the fact that they were split over 2 teams and basically played the entirety of the game/were pretty gassed, I thought they gave Brown and Wade decent time to get throws off. The gold team had Alec Lindstrom playing center and up close, he is tiny and not ready to play at this level. Could prob make same case for Sean Reagan who was on same unit.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:The line has a few injuries right now so tough to judge the running game. Baker definitely is not playing right now. Also we have that 5th year WVU transfer who isn't on the spring roster either.

Despite the injuries to the OL, and the fact that they were split over 2 teams and basically played the entirety of the game/were pretty gassed, I thought they gave Brown and Wade decent time to get throws off. The gold team had Alec Lindstrom playing center and up close, he is tiny and not ready to play at this level. Could prob make same case for Sean Reagan who was on same unit.

Thought Regan was decent actually a couple good pull blocks.

Can't tell on Lindstrom he's 240 lbs
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Thought Regan was decent actually a couple good pull blocks.

Can't tell on Lindstrom he's 240 lbs

I just meant physically. I don't think either (Lindstrom especially) are big enough to play at this level yet. With that being said Lindstrom, Monteiro and Pallazolo all (at least) look the part. Diff position, but Zach Allen looks like a totally different person now from when he got in campus.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 am

Who was playing OLB with the first D?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Who was playing OLB with the first D?

Bletzer assuming the #49 was in fact his. And Schwab.

Both deceptively fast of course
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Why is it seemingly impossible to see a replay of the Spring Game?
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Remarkable amount of enthusiasm on these boards right now. Enjoying it while it lasts...

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 am

Yes, lots of guys out on the OL but the lack of talent on offense is still really problematic. DL and DB will be ok, but it seems like this is our weakest group of LBs in a long time, no? At least Wade looked decent and Brown does look like he has a strong arm, albeit very erratic.

In the meantime...I saw this article about the NFL Draft. BC draftees consistently overachieve in the league...(not surprisingly ND is the opposite).

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... fl-players
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

The one concern I had on D was the DT position. I feel a little better now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The one concern I had on D was the DT position. I feel a little better now.

Agree that DT is a concern. Why do you feel better now?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:44 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The one concern I had on D was the DT position. I feel a little better now.

Because they played pretty well, particularly in getting penetration. Whomever switched to 93 - I am assuming it was Merritt - was especially good, and Smith will be fine. And I said "a little better". They still have depth problems, though Allen can move inside on passing downs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

flakes {l Wrote}:Yes, lots of guys out on the OL but the lack of talent on offense is still really problematic. DL and DB will be ok, but it seems like this is our weakest group of LBs in a long time, no? At least Wade looked decent and Brown does look like he has a strong arm, albeit very erratic.

In the meantime...I saw this article about the NFL Draft. BC draftees consistently overachieve in the league...(not surprisingly ND is the opposite).

There's not a lack of talent on offense. It's just a matter of whether the coaches can figure out how to use it. There are 4 legit ACC RBs, an all-conference TE and WRs that are plenty capable of making plays (but not always catching the ball)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flakes {l Wrote}:Yes, lots of guys out on the OL but the lack of talent on offense is still really problematic. DL and DB will be ok, but it seems like this is our weakest group of LBs in a long time, no? At least Wade looked decent and Brown does look like he has a strong arm, albeit very erratic.

There's not a lack of talent on offense. It's just a matter of whether the coaches can figure out how to use it. There are 4 legit ACC RBs, an all-conference TE and WRs that are plenty capable of making plays (but not always catching the ball)

No one on this offense has proved to be anything but mediocre at best and there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. They averaged 12ppg in ACC games last year and I don't think Ben Glines is the answer. I just hope the defense can continue to play well against the middle-poor part of the schedule.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No one on this offense has proved to be anything but mediocre at best and there's no reason to think otherwise at this point. They averaged 12ppg in ACC games last year and I don't think Ben Glines is the answer. I just hope the defense can continue to play well against the middle-poor part of the schedule.

I don't think he was suggesting that they scored a lot in ACC play. I think he was suggesting that the reason they did not score a lot in ACC play had little to do with talent and much to do with coaching. Pointing to last year's scoring makes both points, without distinguishing between the two.

I tend to agree that the talent is much better at the skill positions than people think it is. This based not on PPG with last year's roster with Towles under center, but observations of the guys on the field and the incoming and redshirted WRs and RBs, in particular Dillon, Levy, Borgerson and White. I also think the line looked better this spring even missing so many guys, although there is plenty of room to improve.

Do I think they have any chance to beat FSU, Clemson or Louisville? No. But they have the talent to score enough to win the rest of their games and to make those three games look more like they did the first three years of his tenure, rather than last year. Will he use them properly to allow them to do so? Who knows. They seem to be keen on this up tempo and no huddle stuff that they put in for the bowl game and used at times in the Spring game. If talent is really the problem, then doing so should make those games even worse.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Because they played pretty well, particularly in getting penetration. Whomever switched to 93 - I am assuming it was Merritt - was especially good, and Smith will be fine. And I said "a little better". They still have depth problems, though Allen can move inside on passing downs.

Also, having Landry back eases a lot of the DT concern because we're going to see more and more teams double-teaming him, which will make the job inside that much easier. We saw this in the bowl game where Gutapfel suddenly looked like an all-american when Maryland game-planned around Landry.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:Why is it seemingly impossible to see a replay of the Spring Game?

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3046114
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The offense sucked last year because Towles couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and the blocking at times was all over the place.

There's enough talent at the skill positions to make this work.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:11 am

:thehjs

it's all about the OL, despite the inevitable cries of youth they'll probably have one of the most experienced OLs in the acc based on starts
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}::thehjs

it's all about the OL, despite the inevitable cries of youth they'll probably have one of the most experienced OLs in the acc based on starts

Losing Lowry will be addition by subtraction. At times last year they should've just played 4 OL instead.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}::thehjs

Losing Lowry will be addition by subtraction. At times last year they should've just played 4 OL instead.

I'm surprised Daz hasn't thought of this already. Just imagine a stacked formation with 4 OL and 3 TE's!!!

:dildodog
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Tommy Sweeney is an elite pass catcher.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium